No announcement yet.

The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donaldson takes the lead for Top Vote getter so far. LOVE IT. Canadian voters making me proud.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
      Donaldson takes the lead for Top Vote getter so far. LOVE IT. Canadian voters making me proud.
      And the thing is - he deserves it. Unlike those all those KC guys getting all those votes earlier.

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
        And the thing is - he deserves it. Unlike those all those KC guys getting all those votes earlier.
        how did Maicer do?

Comment

• Your boy JD is in the Home Run Derby! I think he'll do us proud.

I like the new format, too. Should be exciting.

Chicago Cubs rookie Kris Bryant was drawn into the same opening round as Los Angeles Angels slugger Albert Pujols for the Home Run Derby, which will determine baseball's homer king.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Schoenfield: No Harper or Stanton, but derby still features young stars
          It's a more interesting group of sluggers than we've had in recent years.
          Baltimore's Manny Machado will face Dodgers rookie Joc Pederson in the other matchup in that part of the bracket, which was announced Wednesday.

In this year's new format, two-time champion Prince Fielder of Texas faces Cincinnati's Todd Frazier, and Toronto's Josh Donaldson takes on Chicago's Anthony Rizzo in the other bracket of the annual contest, to be held at Great American Ball Park on Monday.

The Frazier-Fielder winner faces Donaldson or Rizzo, and the Bryant-Pujols winner goes against Pederson or Machado.

Home Run Derby Lineup

Albert Pujols, who leads the AL in homers, is the top seed in MLB's new format for the July 13 Home Run Derby. Players hit head to head against one other hitter in a bracketed elimination format.
          HITTER TEAM HR TOTAL
          Albert Pujols LAA 26
          Todd Frazier CIN 25
          Josh Donaldson TOR 21
          Joc Pederson LAD 20
          Manny Machado BAL 19
          Anthony Rizzo CHC 16
          Prince Fielder TEX 13
          Kris Bryant CHC 12
          --HR totals as of July 7
          Brackets were based on season home run totals through Tuesday.

This will be Pujols' fourth time competing in the Home Run Derby. He reached the semifinal in 2003, 2007 and 2009 but has never won the event.

Pujols, who leads the American League with 26 homers, said he is looking forward to the new format. Instead of being given a number of outs per round, each player will have five minutes to hit as many home runs as possible. The clock will stop after any home run balls hit in the final minute land; it will resume after the next nonhomer lands or after a swing and miss.

Pederson remarked on the new format's transition to a time limit instead of a 10-out limit.

"Swinging for five minutes, that's going to be a really long time. Really long," Pederson said. "Hopefully I don't have to go first and I can watch how some of the veterans go about it."

Players can earn an extra minute if they hit two home runs that land 420 feet or more and a bonus 30 seconds if one of those blasts lands 475 feet or more. The maximum bonus time a player can get is 1:30.

"If anything, it'll be better because you don't have to sit around so much like you did in the past,'' Pujols said. "If I hit in the first round, we had to wait until everybody hit, and sometimes you sat an hour and a half, two hours.''
          http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13...-derby-bracket

Comment

• That derby was excellent! Love the new format. Unfortunately I missed JD's first at bat, then was watching the second round at a bar with no sound and the TV off in the distance...

Hometown Cincy hero Todd Frazier takes a thriller in the finals to beat the rookie from LA, Joc Pederson.

Comment

• Derby was fun, but I really do wonder who the Jays could get at the deadline, and then the perfect solution hit me yesterday.

A young, low-tier guy who could be available is Chase Anderson. Now, eh doesn't have amazing stuff, but he's solid and is a winning pitcher.

If the Jays wanna go with a cheaper option, I'd consider taking a stab at him. Arizona isn't contending,
              Axel wrote:
              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
              KeonClark wrote:
              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
              KeonClark wrote:
              I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Finally, some huge news out of Blue Jayville! Reports are that the Jays have come to terms with Joba Chamberlain on a minor league contract. Way to go AA, this one really moves the needle!

http://andrewstoeten.com/2015/07/21/...ys-in-dunedin/

Comment

Finally, some huge news out of Blue Jayville! Reports are that the Jays have come to terms with Joba Chamberlain on a minor league contract. Way to go AA, this one really moves the needle!

http://andrewstoeten.com/2015/07/21/...ys-in-dunedin/
                  Not even sure what to make of this deal... He didn't look too good pitching in the show before being released, but he was a great pitcher at one point. Feel like he has a long way to get back

Seems like almost a Masai move, pick up a guy who looks like a goner, rehab him and win a chip(?)
                  A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                    Not even sure what to make of this deal... He didn't look too good pitching in the show before being released, but he was a great pitcher at one point. Feel like he has a long way to get back

Seems like almost a Masai move, pick up a guy who looks like a goner, rehab him and win a chip(?)
                    I mean, I guess it doesn't hurt to take a flier on the guy. He's a vet with championship experience, as well as a great guy overall.

I just really want them to push for a big name starter or two. Can't let these bats go to waste with the up and down pitching performances, other than Buehrle of course.

Comment

I mean, I guess it doesn't hurt to take a flier on the guy. He's a vet with championship experience, as well as a great guy overall.

I just really want them to push for a big name starter or two. Can't let these bats go to waste with the up and down pitching performances, other than Buehrle of course.
                      With Sanchez going to the pen it's not even clear if the Jays need to do anything on the back end anymore. Adding a starter would be terrific but the price for anyone under control will be astronomical. Perhaps they can find a rental for a reasonable price but you're still talking about only getting, what, 10 starts from the guy? 11? Is that enough at this point? They really needed someone in April.....

Comment

• We need a inning eater who wins games and has years left.

Arizona and the Mets are all looking for hitting.

Milwaukee is blowing it up.... and Detroit maybe too.

We can get a guy cheap if we plan right. AA will make a smart move here, and if he can find another Estrada like pitcher for a good price, we'll be fine and more than likely sneak into the playoffs.

Wild Cards win all the time, guys.... it's not all about the East.
                        Axel wrote:
                        Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• I don't even know who this guy is, but his numbers look pretty decent. Wonder what the price tag is for Carlos Carrasco?

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...rlos-carrasco/

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                            With Sanchez going to the pen it's not even clear if the Jays need to do anything on the back end anymore. Adding a starter would be terrific but the price for anyone under control will be astronomical. Perhaps they can find a rental for a reasonable price but you're still talking about only getting, what, 10 starts from the guy? 11? Is that enough at this point? They really needed someone in April.....
                            Im content with waiting for some of the young arms next year, but we can't continue to keep relying on and waiting for "next year". Joey Bats is gonna be another year older as is Edwin and they can't have much "prime" left in them. I wouldn't mind seeing them go for a big name starter this year, even if it is a rental. Players "potential" in baseball is the biggest crap-shoot of all the major sports. Too often you wait and wait and wait for that potential which never comes to fruition for whatever reason.

Comment

• I know looking back is fruitless...but I cannot believe the crap luck with the injuries (especially how) and when to Stroman and Saunders. These are the positions we still most need. Damn. Personally I wouldnt give up on prime pitching prospects for a questionable rental. I still cringe at the Syndergaard give up for Dickey. Nothing new but NL pitchers tend not to be able to handle a good AL lineup especially the first year or two (with designated hitter).

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                                I know looking back is fruitless...but I cannot believe the crap luck with the injuries (especially how) and when to Stroman and Saunders. These are the positions we still most need. Damn. Personally I wouldnt give up on prime pitching prospects for a questionable rental. I still cringe at the Syndergaard give up for Dickey. Nothing new but NL pitchers tend not to be able to handle a good AL lineup especially the first year or two (with designated hitter).
                                Thank god for Maicer

Comment

Working...
                                X