The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure why you say that. They paid $126M/7 years for Vernon Wells.
    I think in the right situation, Rogers will spend the money. As I said, it will be a huge investment into Canadian goodwill, and thus marketing, to dish out and keep the guy.
    That was an extension and also a cautionary tale.
    Jays were hugely lucky getting rid of Wells ( and helped cause the firing of Regins). Shortly before, Wells had been called the most untradeable contract in baseball.

BTW, the guy who signed Wells and the guy who traded for Wells lost their jobs not long after,

Edit: I'm hope your're right and I'm wrong, but Rogers have tightened their purse strings since the Wells fiasco.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
      if they dont get into the playoffs, its a case of too little too late. they should have also tried for Zobrist considering the injury problems, lack of lefty hitting, and a player with a good OBP. they need to go all in on Price this offseason
      What? Why? The entire lineup is back for next year. Beurhle will be gone and probably Price but they'll have Stroman, Sanchez, Dickey, perhaps Estrada, and about $40 million to play with staring at a large crop of free agent SPs. Time doesn't stop if they don't make the playoffs. They will still have the best lineup in baseball with a likely improved outfield (given Pompey's recent work and Saunders being back) and, as for the prospect mill, they'll have two comp picks coming back or a comp pick and Price.

Now, I'd have no issue giving Price $30 million for 6 or 7 years but it isn't my money....

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
        What? Why? The entire lineup is back for next year. Beurhle will be gone and probably Price but they'll have Stroman, Sanchez, Dickey, perhaps Estrada, and about $40 million to play with staring at a large crop of free agent SPs. Time doesn't stop if they don't make the playoffs. They will still have the best lineup in baseball with a likely improved outfield (given Pompey's recent work and Saunders being back) and, as for the prospect mill, they'll have two comp picks coming back or a comp pick and Price.

Now, I'd have no issue giving Price $30 million for 6 or 7 years but it isn't my money....
        Starting pitching is a problem and they'll lose the #1&2 and the bullpen is a mess. It they strike out on Price and lose Beurhle they need to rebuild around Travis, Tulo, Donaldson and end the Bautiusta and Edwin era.

Comment

• Jays traded for Mark Lowe, relief pitcher from Marniers, in exchange for prospects.

The Toronto Blue Jays have agreed to acquire veteran reliever Mark Lowe in a deal that will send minor leaguers to the Seattle Mariners, industry sources told Sportsnet.

Lowe, 32, has a 1.00 ERA with 47 strikeouts and just 11 walks in 36 innings for the Seattle Mariners this year. The right-hander is on track to hit free agency after the 2015 season.

The Blue Jays have until Friday at 4 p.m. ET to make moves before MLB’s non-waiver trade deadline.

Jon Heyman of CBS Sports first reported that the sides were progressing toward a deal, and Chris Cotillo of SB Nation first reported the agreement.
          http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...for-mark-lowe/

Comment

• And Revere from the Phillies. There's your new leadoff man. Player control for 2 more years, so not a rental.

Damn.

Comment

• Revere/Pillar/Pompey is a heck of a CF/LF. finally have some insurance in case anything happens to Pillar too.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Damn. They just won't stop.
                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Seriously if this team doesnt make the playoffs, The curse is real!
                  "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• This is not the Jays of last week!!

Masai....get to work...

Comment

• Good time to be a Blue Jay fan!... Hopefully.

This better not be Josh Johnson, Jose Reyes and RA Dickey all over again ...

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                        Were you drinking last night?? Jojoie is not even close to best, that's why he does late night. He's just a bit above Blundell but he does know a lot more(wayyyy) about sports than Dean.
                        Yes, I was drinking ... Sorry - is there a rule or something?

I find LaJoie more humble, more humorous and less "dug-in" with his views than Jeff Blair. Keeps a conversation going without grinding an axe or cutting people off or calling them names. Anyway, I always enjoy listening .. thought he deserved a "shout out".

Sorry for slurring ... which you wouldn't have noticed if you'd been drinking. Maybe fix that some Thursday summer night, will ya'

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                          Yes, I was drinking ... Sorry - is there a rule or something?

I find LaJoie more humble, more humorous and less "dug-in" with his views than Jeff Blair. Keeps a conversation going without grinding an axe or cutting people off or calling them names. Anyway, I always enjoy listening .. thought he deserved a "shout out".

Sorry for slurring ... which you wouldn't have noticed if you'd been drinking. Maybe fix that some Thursday summer night, will ya'
                          No worries on the drinking... I usually post between 10pm and 6am if that tells you anything!

I listen to the Fan590 pretty much 24/7, so I get what you're saying. I like Lajoie some nights, but would prefer to listen to Ferrell/Lawrence these nights.

Comment

• Jays made some massive moves the last few days. They have a real shot at catching the Yanks, given Pineda's injury. Can't wait to see how it pans out. I think there's gonna be close to 40,000 average fans through September, if not more.

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                              Jays made some massive moves the last few days. They have a real shot at catching the Yanks, given Pineda's injury. Can't wait to see how it pans out. I think there's gonna be close to 40,000 average fans through September, if not more.
                              The number of fans in September ultimately won't matter... We want some October baseball!!
                              A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• Amazing come back last night too ... I think AA is fighting for his job at this point, and these are good moves toward that end.
                                If we keep gutting out wins like last night, this will be a fun 60 games to finish up the season. And who knows ... lets not even talk about Playoffs just yet.. have had my little Blue Jay heart broken too many times.
                                Last edited by Joey; Sat Aug 1, 2015, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X