No announcement yet.

The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love how in spite of the fact that Toronto is a small baseball market, and in spite of the fact that they are in the toughest division in baseball, they usually manage to put out competitive teams given the resources at their disposal.

They aren't ever great (not since '93). But if they were in the NL, they would be playoff bound almost every year. For a number of years they had the best pitching staff in baseball. This year, they lose Doc, they're shedding longterm salary, but they still manage to put out an entertaining product (for someone who enjoys baseball of course). It is fun to watch developing young talent.

In spite of some boneheaded moves by Ricciardi, the Blue Jays remains the best-run sports franchise in Toronto. Probably because it is not run by MLSE.

They likely won't ever win the Championship this way, (especially not with the Red Sox and Yankees in their division). But in MLB, that requires spending ridiculous amounts of money that the Blue Jays just don't have.

Comment

verbatim wrote: View Post
      In spite of some boneheaded moves by Ricciardi, the Blue Jays remains the best-run sports franchise in Toronto. Probably because it is not run by MLSE.
      I'm not sure who's worse, MLSE or Rogers.

Comment

Buck Martinez is head and shoulders above Jamie Campbell. Hell, Sam Cosentino is head and shoulders better than Jamie Campell...
        "Don't expect anything unless you give everything."

Comment

Yikes ... attendance last night only slightly over 10,000. Smallest crowd ever since the Sky Dome opened.

If the trend continues, anyone think the Jays follow suit ala the Expos and we lose our franchise?

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
            Yikes ... attendance last night only slightly over 10,000. Smallest crowd ever since the Sky Dome opened.

If the trend continues, anyone think the Jays follow suit ala the Expos and we lose our franchise?
            An extra 134 people showed up last night! It's picking up!

Really, I think they'd have to suffer a few seasons of this before collapsing. It's still springtime and people are watching hockey and some of us are watching basketball playoffs, I think it'll pick up by June. Not much though, I think last year they usually had about 20-25k at the games.

Comment

Interesting comments from Rios about baseball dying here in Toronto.

“Yeah, there’s no real following here,” Rios told the Sun-Times during the White Sox four-day visit to Toronto that wrapped up Thursday. “There’s a small group of diehards, but it’s hockey, hockey, hockey. It’s gotten sad here. They just don’t really care.”
              Source - Click here

Comment

first of all... i don't watch baseball but why does the league so corrupted... there is no capspace..whatsoever ...how does 30 teams (i assume there are 30 teams) be equally competitive. Boston and Yankee are cash cows when getting good players........

I read somewhere Boston and Yankee have around 300 million dollar in contracts and Toronto is around 65 million? wow.

My thought was why have 8 teams in the playoffs if u can get 16 teams to the playoffs...therefore increasing fans and giving fans hope that their team will be in the playoffs due to better opportunity

There is no way Toronto can be competitive against the two power house in their division. Just wondering what is toronto total contracts in 1992 playoff?
                Last edited by KakashiPrince; Fri Apr 16, 2010, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Man-O-Man ... the Jays pitchers have thrown a few gems this season so far eh? Cecil looked amazing last night in Cleveland. And nice the see the boys still knockin' them out of the park too. Love the strong start with hitting the long ball. If only our middle relief could sharpen up.

Comment

Umm ... so yeah ... how about them Blue Jays? I'm still waiting for them to fall flat on their faces, but I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with them so far. Stellar starting pitching for the most part which we again saw this weekend highlighted by another superb outing by Romero.

Oh ya, did these also "juice up" this past off-season? We have to be on record pace for shattering the most team HR's record. WOW.

Comment

No pressure, Doc. That's what it boils down to it. No one expects them to come out and win, so they're loosey-goosey. Anthopoulous has done a great job with the FA signings this year. Who knows, they could easily flip guys like Bautista and Gonzalez for prospects. Not a bad situation.

Comment

If they can keep pace with the way they're playing right now, just wait till Hill and Lind get their groove back. Watch out.

Comment

I don't expect much outta them. I don't think it can keep up much longer. After mid June, they'll go into a slump and be right where they should be - or was forecasted to be - in 4th place.

Comment

Keep a little faith Mango Kid! Everyone thought the Rays were gonna fall off a few seasons ago and they took their season all the way to the World Series, so you never know.

For the past few seasons its either been all hitting and no pitching or all pitching and no hitting for the Jays. This year they've got both going but they've gotta keep it up. I'm pretty sure last season they were in 1st until late May, then fell off the face of the earth.

It is promising to see all the great pitching though. Marcum could have 6 wins by now if he had some run support in his starts!

Comment

Blue Jays 1st round pick today

11. Toronto Blue Jays
                              The Pick: Deck McGuire, RHP, Georgia Tech
                              The Buzz: McGuire was one of the safest arms in the draft. He was the ace for the Yellow Jackets and could be the first player in the draft to make the major leagues. A winner that knows how to pitch, he doesn't overwhelm with one pitch but throws lots of strikes.
                              http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1091804

Deck Mc Guire throwing 92-93 mph on the stalker gun at Georgia Tech Scout Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHdLaAjj63Q

Deck McGuire (03-19-2010) Georgia Tech at Maryland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cokMuXGBBg
                              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

34. Toronto Blue Jays - For Marco Scutaro
                                The Pick: Aaron Sanchez, RHP, Barstow (CA) High
                                The Buzz: The Oregon commit was the No. 14 high school player entering the draft. Still growing into his body may have cost him a few mph with scouts' guns. His long legs and lean frame project well, and more power on his pitches should come over time.
                                http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1091804
                                Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                                Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Working...
                                X