Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 914

Thread: The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread

  1. #241
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Prime wrote: View Post
    I don't think you're a very good judge of distance. 20 inches is already understating the distance between the catcher's mitt and the ground.

    Do you see where it bounced? For it to come back up that high after the bounce means that it must have bounced long before it reached the plate.

    No offense but if you were a sniper I wouldn't feel comfortable with you covering for me.Get off your high horse. If you saw balls like that all the time then why the hell haven't you figured out how far they are from the plate? I want you to compare that pitch with this one and guess which one was actually further away.

    HINT: YOU'RE WRONG

    Protip: stop with the sarcasm--you're horrible at it.

    I never said anything about trading Santos nor did I say he was a bad player. "To those of you who are still high on Santos:" is a warning. I'm not saying that he can't be an effective closer, but I'm just not convinced he's tier one material, unlike you rabid Jays fans who believe Santos is the next coming of Christ.

    If you actually took the time to read my post then maybe you'd understand. Reading comprehension is key.
    bahahaha, seriously i doubt the dude is even in the police force. why the fuck in any situation would you need him or he need to be a sniper? this isn't cod, ya goomba.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  2. #242
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Prime wrote: View Post
    To those of who are still high on Santos:


    Note: The batter was Willie Bloomquist. Willie fking Bloomquist. Also look at the inning and the count.
    You're gonna put a caveat emptor on the guy because of one wild pitch?

    The case in favour of Santos' is much greater as opposed to those against it. Santos' mental makeup, his salary, his team control and the fact that he doesn't have wear and tear on his arm like other pitchers are the major plusses. Jays fans aren't looking at him to be the savior, they're just looking at him at being an improvement over both Francisco and Rauch.

  3. #243
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    they're just looking at him at being an improvement over both Francisco and Rauch.
    Bingo.

    And judging by that wild pitch, he should be an improvement over Francisco! haha
    In Masai we Trust.

  4. #244
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,095
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    You're gonna put a caveat emptor on the guy because of one wild pitch?
    Next up in ridiculous posts: why Batting Average is essential in judging a prospect! why RBIs are an indicator of how "clutch" a batter is!

    By the way, for those of you still high on Mariano Rivera, he had a WP last year, too. Sell high!

  5. #245
    Raptors Republic Starter Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Ryan_1523 wrote: View Post
    You're honestly just missing the whole point.. You can't judge it from the center of the plate because that's not where he was trying to throw the pitch. It was meant to be down and away. You're really going to try and say his glove is above 20 inches from the ground? C'mon, this is a joke, right?
    If you paid attention you'll I notice never said anything about pitch location or his intent to pitch either, other than the fact that he was off by >70 inches.

    Also, how would knowing the distance a ball is thrown from the center of the plate help me at all in life? Maybe if I had a reason to know it other than to argue about it online I might look into it, but I'm good for now, thanks.
    If you have no reason to argue about it, then why did you bring it up? Your hypocrisy is not needed here.

    Can you really say your point was clear through your two line post? My initial reaction was trolling, now I see that you just would like people to stop thinking this guy is the best, I get it, I do. My point though is, why bother? Let people think what they want, I'm not saying don't post things to show your point of view on the guy but be a little more open minded about it.
    I apologize if my initial post was not clear enough but my point should be rather obvious if you took a moment to think about it.

    However, you need to heed your own advice. Being open minded also means that you have to consider opposing points of views. Your eternal optimism is appreciated but what if Santos may very well be Kevin Gregg take two?

    The bottom line is, I'd rather think about the positives of the Jays and be optimistic about the future than be angry and bitter that the Jays don't meet my current expectations
    Can you stop with the judgmental BS? Yes everyone knows by now you're the Jays' #1 fan. Too bad you don't even live in Toronto.
    Last edited by Prime; Tue Feb 21st, 2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: spelling

  6. #246
    Raptors Republic Starter Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    You're gonna put a caveat emptor on the guy because of one wild pitch?

    The case in favour of Santos' is much greater as opposed to those against it. Santos' mental makeup, his salary, his team control and the fact that he doesn't have wear and tear on his arm like other pitchers are the major plusses. Jays fans aren't looking at him to be the savior, they're just looking at him at being an improvement over both Francisco and Rauch.
    While I agree that one pitch may be too small a sample to begin with, in this case it's still definitely something we can start with given the scenario shown.

    Case in point: if Mariano Rivera threw a wild pitch in the bottom of the 9th with bases loaded on a full count would we still have this discussion?

  7. #247
    Raptors Republic Starter Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Next up in ridiculous posts: why Batting Average is essential in judging a prospect! why RBIs are an indicator of how "clutch" a batter is!

    By the way, for those of you still high on Mariano Rivera, he had a WP last year, too. Sell high!
    Next up in terrible flamebaiting: slaw insults the mother of a RR member!

  8. #248
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Prime wrote: View Post
    While I agree that one pitch may be too small a sample to begin with, in this case it's still definitely something we can start with given the scenario shown.

    Case in point: if Mariano Rivera threw a wild pitch in the bottom of the 9th with bases loaded on a full count would we still have this discussion?
    How many closers have had perfect seasons (in terms of conversions) in the past 25-30 years? Very few. Jays' fans don't expect the guy to convert every save oppourtunity - there are going to be blown saves - that's just part of the game. But to dismiss the guy right away because of one wild pitch is a bit too much.

    To answer your question, if Mariano Rivera threw a wild pitch in the bottom of the 9th with the bases loaded on the full count, would I care? No. I wouldn't care if Santos did the same in the same situation. Closers are going to blow games from time to time, but Santos is a massive upgrade to a bullpen that blew a ton of saves last season. The key here is to minimize the blown saves and converting the oppourtunities.


    Oh, and FYI: That game in the clip you posted was June 19, 2011. The White Sox won 8-2 in which Santos pitched a perfect 9th inning including 2 strikeouts - one of those punchouts was...... Willie Bloomquist.
    Last edited by MangoKid; Tue Feb 21st, 2012 at 02:51 PM.

  9. #249
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Prime wrote: View Post
    if Mariano Rivera threw a wild pitch in the bottom of the 9th with bases loaded on a full count would we still have this discussion?
    But Santos didn't throw his WP with bases loaded and full count ... he threw his wild pitch on an 0-2 count with 2 outs and no one on Base AND the team up by 6 ...
    Thats the perfect time for pitchers to try something really tough, and if its a blown throw, big deal, its still only just a ball on the count.

    The .GIF doesn't really show me anything concerning to be honest.
    In Masai we Trust.

  10. #250
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    it's almost easier to make the argument because of his c rating on mlb 11 the show.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  11. #251
    Raptors Republic Starter Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    How many closers have had perfect seasons (in terms of conversions) in the past 25-30 years? Very few. Jays' fans don't expect the guy to convert every save oppourtunity - there are going to be blown saves - that's just part of the game. But to dismiss the guy right away because of one wild pitch is a bit too much.
    Again, I didn't dismiss him. I just prefer not to linger in that state of eternal optimism you and Ryan seem to share.


    To answer your question, if Mariano Rivera threw a wild pitch in the bottom of the 9th with the bases loaded on the full count, would I care? No. I wouldn't care if Santos did the same in the same situation. Closers are going to blow games from time to time, but Santos is a massive upgrade to a bullpen that blew a ton of saves last season. The key here is to minimize the blown saves and converting the oppourtunities.
    Indeed. But Santos has nowhere near the rep or record of Mariano to show for it. Whereas Mariano might throw one wild pitch in every 150 innings Santos will probably have to settle for 4 or 5.

    Oh, and FYI: That game in the clip you posted was June 19, 2011. The White Sox won 8-2 in which Santos pitched a perfect 9th inning including 2 strikeouts - one of those punchouts was...... Willie Bloomquist.
    Correct.

  12. #252
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Prime wrote: View Post
    Again, I didn't dismiss him. I just prefer not to linger in that state of eternal optimism you and Ryan seem to share.
    And that's perfectly fine. I like the Jays' bullpen better than what they had last season, and while I do not think they'll make the playoffs, they will be a better team than last season. I'm just perplexed as to why out of the blue you would just decide to piss in everyone's corn flakes.

  13. #253
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    2,921
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    And now, here's J.P. Arencibia doing a little impersonation of writer/analyst Tim Kurkjian.

    It's actually pretty funny. This group of Jays like to have some fun, Lawrie is a funny guy by the sounds of it too.



  14. #254
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Extra Wild Card Spot has been Added. Its Official.
    Jays are making the Playoffs next year. Book it.
    In Masai we Trust.

  15. #255
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    And now, here's J.P. Arencibia doing a little impersonation of writer/analyst Tim Kurkjian.

    It's actually pretty funny. This group of Jays like to have some fun, Lawrie is a funny guy by the sounds of it too.


    HAHA. This is GOLD Jerry. Gold.
    In Masai we Trust.

  16. #256
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Extra Wild Card Spot has been Added. Its Official.
    Jays are making the Playoffs next year. Book it.
    by next year you mean 2013?

  17. #257
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm thinking 2014.

  18. #258
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,095
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    And, in "not sure what to think of it but it may be bad news if it continues" talk, Cecil topped out at 88 today and sat around 86for most of the day. Too early to get worked up about it but the Jays can't be happy to see those numbers.

    In better news, Morrow apparently looked good yesterday and was sitting at 94-95 mixing in a change and curve without, he says, letting loose. Hutchison and McGuire have apparently looked good, too. Cecil keeps throwing 86, he might be in the bullpen or in AAA...

  19. #259
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    And, in "not sure what to think of it but it may be bad news if it continues" talk, Cecil topped out at 88 today and sat around 86for most of the day. Too early to get worked up about it but the Jays can't be happy to see those numbers.

    In better news, Morrow apparently looked good yesterday and was sitting at 94-95 mixing in a change and curve without, he says, letting loose. Hutchison and McGuire have apparently looked good, too. Cecil keeps throwing 86, he might be in the bullpen or in AAA...
    they had every opportunity to trade some of these bums like litsh and cecil for a top tier talent. they should just sign oswalt.

  20. #260
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,095
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    they had every opportunity to trade some of these bums like litsh and cecil for a top tier talent. they should just sign oswalt.
    Litsch and Cecil were never bringing you back top tier talent. I agree that Oswalt would be a good signing but he wants to stay close to Mississippi, so it seems unlikely he'd ever come to Toronto. If he went somewhere other than the southeast, I doubt the fourth place team in the AL East is at the top of his list. The good news is that if Cecil flops then guys like Drabek and Hutchison are going to get a shot. Honestly, given where this team is at, I'd rather see what those guys have...

Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •