Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 500 of 957

Thread: The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread

  1. #481
    Raptors Republic All-Star Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I know nothing about baseball, but it's great to know that we'll finally have a contender here in Toronto after all these years.

    Brings tears to my eyes..

  2. #482
    Raptors Republic All-Star Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh, so apparently this Reyes guy is good right? What would be an appropriate NBA comparison to a player of his caliber? Curious to know what kind of guy we're getting.

  3. #483
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tesla wrote: View Post
    Oh, so apparently this Reyes guy is good right? What would be an appropriate NBA comparison to a player of his caliber? Curious to know what kind of guy we're getting.
    Baseball and Basketball(MLB & NBA) are hard to compare. Even though Jose Reyes is the best player in the deal, the Jay's agreed to take him on because they wanted Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle. This is the unannounced part of the deal but it was his(Reyes) contract(5yrs-96) mil mainly that Miami wanted to shed. Jay's were able to do this as they had stacked up their minor league team with good young prospects. Two of the prospects they traded are considered Blue chip prospects. The best comparison I can think of is the Raps. taking on Carmello Anthony and his massive contract 'cause they actually need Tyson Chandler and in return give the Knicks a bunch of potential future star players with Jonas being one of them. Again this is only an example.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  4. #484
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd say if Bautista is Lebron, than Reyes is Wade to try to make a nba comparison.

    I'm not that excited about Cabrera...guy was juicing.

  5. #485
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    I'd say if Bautista is Lebron, than Reyes is Wade to try to make a nba comparison.

    I'm not that excited about Cabrera...guy was juicing.
    Personally I'm not a big fan of drug users either. Cabrera's doping is a fact that AA is well aware of as well. He still signed him which means he believes that he can produce even when clean. I have a lot of respect for AA's ability to gauge talent so let's hope he(Cabrera) turns out OK.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  6. #486
    Raptors Republic All-Star Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks. Can't wait.

  7. #487
    Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd say Reyes is like Deron Williams and Bautista is like a Joe Johnson that plays defense.

  8. #488
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's official!

    You can watch Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos discuss the trade in a news conference live on TSN.ca Tuesday at 9:30am et/6:30am pt. It can also be heard on TSN Radio 1050 at TSN.ca/Toronto with coverage starting at 9am et.

    "It is my conclusion that this transaction, involving established major leaguers and highly regarded young players and prospects, represents the exercise of plausible baseball judgment on the part of both clubs, does not violate any express rule of Major League Baseball and does not otherwise warrant the exercise of any of my powers to prevent its completion," Selig said it a statement. "It is, of course, up to the clubs involved to make the case to their respective fans that this transaction makes sense and enhances the competitive position of each, now or in the future."

    Source
    Last edited by Joey; Mon Nov 19th, 2012 at 07:07 PM.
    "That was Nasty right? Cocked that Joint back and banged on 'em." -James Johnson

  9. #489
    Raptors Republic All-Star themasao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,023
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I never really thought about comparing NBA stars to MLB stars just because team composition varies so much between the two sports. But now that you mention it, I'm intrigued.

    One of the problems with the endeavor is that you can't have a Lebron James in the MLB. Take the Tigers for example. It's hard to compare the relative worth to the team of Cabrera and Verlander. The latter isn't asked to pick up a bat for the majority of the season, and the former is never asked to pitch. Both players are arguably equally valuable to the team, yet none of their skill-sets are comparable because they are mutually exclusive.

    All this is to say that if I were to compare Jose Reyes to, say, Chris Paul, what does that mean for Josh Johnson? To whom do I compare him? It's tricky business making parallels between two sports that are so structurally distinct.

    HOWEVER, my above comparison of Reyes to Paul isn't entirely arbitrary -- I think there are some (admittedly oblique) similarities between the two players: both are dynamic, both are quick and feisty, both are talented two way players, both are widely considered to be the best/second best player at their position (PG and SS respectively).

    So while I don't think you can compare players between the two sports in any substantive way. I think it's at least meaningful to compare them in terms of status, style, and respect/recognition. And on that front, there's nothing but good comp's.

    Call me insecure, but when your favorite team is the Raptors, it's nice to have some bonafide STARS to talk about (at length, in this case, for which I apologize!)

  10. #490
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Stars in baseball can't carry a team the way stars in basketball do.

    Here's a sweet pic of the excited Reyes!

  11. #491
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    After all the exciting moves the Jay's made, they end bringing back Gibbons. I don't understand the rationale behind this. Like every manager, he has his plus points but I remember the team being in shambles when he and his coaching staff were fired for Cito and his staff. The fact that Cito steadied the ship somewhat proved that it was something Gibbons was doing that was the problem. I have liked AA's moves including the John Farell hire but I can't say the same about this one.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  12. #492
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,294
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't mind them bringing back Gibby. He doesn't take shit from players (see Hillenbrand and Lilly) and keep in mind that he had 86 and 87 win seasons where his best player was Vernon Wells. Look what he has to work with now. I like Gibbons and I think he's a good fit to manager this team. JMO

  13. #493
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    I don't mind them bringing back Gibby. He doesn't take shit from players (see Hillenbrand and Lilly) and keep in mind that he had 86 and 87 win seasons where his best player was Vernon Wells. Look what he has to work with now. I like Gibbons and I think he's a good fit to manager this team. JMO
    He definitely has his plus points, his "no nonsense" approach probably being the strongest. This team now compared to the then team is much better but I don't think he had a terrible team then either, Halladay, Wells, Glaus, AJ, BJ being some of his players.

    AA has always proved many wrong with his moves and I hope he does with this one ESPECIALLY.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  14. #494
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    my knee jerk reaction was i hated it, but now that i think about it, its a good hire. he can definitely handle the big egos and i think that'll be key, plus as doc mentioned, mustered 86 and 87 win seasons with a dearth of talent.
    @jerboat

  15. #495
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    After all the exciting moves the Jay's made, they end bringing back Gibbons. I don't understand the rationale behind this. Like every manager, he has his plus points but I remember the team being in shambles when he and his coaching staff were fired for Cito and his staff. The fact that Cito steadied the ship somewhat proved that it was something Gibbons was doing that was the problem. I have liked AA's moves including the John Farell hire but I can't say the same about this one.
    Gibbons is a terrific hire. Should never have been fired in the first place.

    He's a shrewd tactical manager. He understands platoons and splits. He's great at managing the bullpen and pitchers. And he's good with the media. Unlike Farrell, Gibbons won't have guys running into stupid outs and he won't get out-coached.

    The big thing is that Gibbons and AA are good friends and AA trusts him. After Farrell, he needed someone he could trust.

  16. #496
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Gibbons is a terrific hire. Should never have been fired in the first place.

    He's a shrewd tactical manager. He understands platoons and splits. He's great at managing the bullpen and pitchers. And he's good with the media. Unlike Farrell, Gibbons won't have guys running into stupid outs and he won't get out-coached.

    The big thing is that Gibbons and AA are good friends and AA trusts him. After Farrell, he needed someone he could trust.
    Couldn't agree more. I really like the hire.

    Any news on whether or not he will retain any of the staff? Or did Farrell take them with him?
    "That was Nasty right? Cocked that Joint back and banged on 'em." -James Johnson

  17. #497
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I really like the hire.

    Any news on whether or not he will retain any of the staff? Or did Farrell take them with him?
    AA on Jeff Blair's show said they hadn't even discussed anything until this morning. I suspect they'll fill out the staff pretty quickly.

    Butterfield and Lovullo went to Boston.

  18. #498
    Raptors Republic All-Star Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote themasao wrote: View Post
    I never really thought about comparing NBA stars to MLB stars just because team composition varies so much between the two sports. But now that you mention it, I'm intrigued.

    One of the problems with the endeavor is that you can't have a Lebron James in the MLB. Take the Tigers for example. It's hard to compare the relative worth to the team of Cabrera and Verlander. The latter isn't asked to pick up a bat for the majority of the season, and the former is never asked to pitch. Both players are arguably equally valuable to the team, yet none of their skill-sets are comparable because they are mutually exclusive.

    All this is to say that if I were to compare Jose Reyes to, say, Chris Paul, what does that mean for Josh Johnson? To whom do I compare him? It's tricky business making parallels between two sports that are so structurally distinct.

    HOWEVER, my above comparison of Reyes to Paul isn't entirely arbitrary -- I think there are some (admittedly oblique) similarities between the two players: both are dynamic, both are quick and feisty, both are talented two way players, both are widely considered to be the best/second best player at their position (PG and SS respectively).

    So while I don't think you can compare players between the two sports in any substantive way. I think it's at least meaningful to compare them in terms of status, style, and respect/recognition. And on that front, there's nothing but good comp's.

    Call me insecure, but when your favorite team is the Raptors, it's nice to have some bonafide STARS to talk about (at length, in this case, for which I apologize!)
    I think I get what you're trying to say. Baseball is more of a linear sport. Any basketball player can do as much as the next guy if they desire to, since positions are only a word, not an actual role, unlike baseball. Great basketball players require versatility and multiple skills, whereas great baseball players are great in that specific position.

    I just do not understand how you differentiate a great baseball player from a good one. Is it based purely on stats? Is there that much of a skill gap between certain players? These are things that I find hard to understand when watching other sports.
    Last edited by Sig; Tue Nov 20th, 2012 at 10:37 PM.

  19. #499
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tesla wrote: View Post
    I just do not understand how you differentiate a great baseball player from a good one. Is it based purely on stats? Is there that much of a skill gap between certain players? These are things that I find hard to understand when watching other sports.
    The main thing in baseball is consistency. Some players have crazy good years (Edwin Encarnacion), but until they do it year in, year out, they won't be considered a top-tier great player (Derek Jeter)

  20. #500
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tesla wrote: View Post

    I just do not understand how you differentiate a great baseball player from a good one. Is it based purely on stats? Is there that much of a skill gap between certain players? These are things that I find hard to understand when watching other sports.
    Like in any sport, the difference is in talent. Depending on talent level, there are the Superstars, Stars, Role players and so on.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •