No announcement yet.

The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm pretty sure Johnny Mac will come back by the sound of it.

I'd like Jays to go after Fielder but do I see them landing him? No, because he's already on a playoff contending team that's doing amazing.. Why risk it? Especially if they win it all this year.. That also kinds takes away the possibility of trading Lind because then we'd be even worse off hitting wise which probably isn't very smart.

Comment

• Ryan_1523 wrote: View Post
      I'm pretty sure Johnny Mac will come back by the sound of it.

I'd like Jays to go after Fielder but do I see them landing him? No, because he's already on a playoff contending team that's doing amazing.. Why risk it? Especially if they win it all this year.. That also kinds takes away the possibility of trading Lind because then we'd be even worse off hitting wise which probably isn't very smart.
      I meant in the off-season when Fielder is a FA. Unless Selig comes into some money, Fielder is good as gone after the season. I'd much rather have Fielder than Lind. Lind's contract is more payroll friendly, but Fielder brings intangibles that can't be measured on a boxscore. However, in the end, I think Fielder will land in either Boston or on the North Side of Chicago. The Jays would much rather splash cash on a top notch closer (Papelbon)

Comment

• Man oh man do the Jay's need a legit closer. The Jays are top 5 in the MLB this season in blown saves with 21! If they convert even half of those, they're standing at 78-58 and only 3/4 games back of the wild card/division lead! Imagine that...a serious penant race and this town has Jays fever once again.

I wanna see Rogers let their purse strings go and spend some money on a serious closer and #1 ace. Not too sure who they could go after via FA and/or trade?

Maybe others have some ideas?

Comment

• I believe Mark Buehrle is a Free Agent next year and he's just the type of the Vet/Ace we need in the Rotation.

He's got himself a World Series Ring and a Perfect Game.
          Not to mention holds the MLB record for 45 Consecutive Batters retired.

Only problem with signing him would be that he's a Class-A FA, which would mean we have to give our #1 pick to the White Sox.
          Still ... almost worth it with so many Young Guys with potential in the Rotation already. Give them someone to Mentor them.

As for Closers ... Jonathan Papelbon. One of the best in the game.
          We get both of them, we are LAUGHING.

Comment

• .40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
            Man oh man do the Jay's need a legit closer. The Jays are top 5 in the MLB this season in blown saves with 21! If they convert even half of those, they're standing at 78-58 and only 3/4 games back of the wild card/division lead! Imagine that...a serious penant race and this town has Jays fever once again.

I wanna see Rogers let their purse strings go and spend some money on a serious closer and #1 ace. Not too sure who they could go after via FA and/or trade?

Maybe others have some ideas?
            Why not just let Janssen close out games?
            We can leave that new kid Joel Carreno as the setup man.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
              I meant in the off-season when Fielder is a FA. Unless Selig comes into some money, Fielder is good as gone after the season. I'd much rather have Fielder than Lind. Lind's contract is more payroll friendly, but Fielder brings intangibles that can't be measured on a boxscore. However, in the end, I think Fielder will land in either Boston or on the North Side of Chicago. The Jays would much rather splash cash on a top notch closer (Papelbon)
              Yeah, I know. I'm not sure exactly how bad the cap situation is there, but I'm willing to bet he'd take a salary cut to stay with the Brewers. I think Boston has a few players coming off the books this season and a few they're going to have to give a big pay increase to stay, I guess I wouldn't really be surprised if they went after Fielder with Ortiz getting up in age, but as a Jays fan you kinda have to hope it doesn't go that way.

Also, don't think Janssen has enough experience to close and I prefer him more as a set up man tbh.. I don't think he has the stuff to be a closer despite his success this year.. I think it's kinda inevitable that we'll be looking for a closer on the free agent market cus our bullpen needs a few upgrades

Comment

• Prime wrote: View Post
                Why not just let Janssen close out games?
                We can leave that new kid Joel Carreno as the setup man.
                Janssen has had a decent/good season yes, but I don't think he has what it takes to be our closer game in and game out. Like Ryan_1523 says, Janssen is prolly better suited to be the set up man. As for Carreno, the kid is too raw imo.

Papelbon seems to be the guy to go after, but do the Jays realistically have a shot @ him?

Comment

• Well in that line of reasoning, good setup men usually become closers. While I agree with that sentiment about some pitchers being better setup men, I think Janssen has the stuff to be effective regardless of whether he's pitching in the 8th or the 9th.

Comment

Well in that line of reasoning, good setup men usually become closers. While I agree with that sentiment about some pitchers being better setup men, I think Janssen has the stuff to be effective regardless of whether he's pitching in the 8th or the 9th.
                    I think he could be effective in the 9th as well, I just like the idea of him pitching multiple innings.. I think that ultimately helps out the team more. Long relief is equally important, and if we can get someone with experience who knows how to close games, wouldn't you want that?

However, if the Jays don't get a closer, I think that he will definitely get the opportunity to close out games if he's still pitching the way he is now next year.

Comment

• The problem with good closers is that they're not a dime a dozen. Papelbon himself makes $10mil this year. How much do you think he'll command next year? I don't think you'd want that much money tied up for a reliever that only makes ~60 appearances a year. I'd rather sign a FA SP instead.
                      By comparison, joeybats makes $8 mil (yeah it's backloaded but w/e).

Comment

The problem with good closers is that they're not a dime a dozen. Papelbon himself makes $10mil this year. How much do you think he'll command next year? I don't think you'd want that much money tied up for a reliever that only makes ~60 appearances a year. I'd rather sign a FA SP instead.
                        By comparison, joeybats makes $8 mil (yeah it's backloaded but w/e).
                        I guess it's all about putting it in perspective. How much do you value a win? Starting pitching costs like 1m per win, while a top end closer saves about 40 games.. If that's about 20 games they wouldn't have won with the bullpen they have now, then it's worth it in my opinion. Jays are pretty much at the top of blown saves as we all know, so that's pretty invaluable especially playing in a division with the Yankees, Redsox, and Rays.

Also, Heath Bell is a free agent at the end of the year and Jays were looking into him around the trade deadline, so we'll see what happens.

Comment

I guess it's all about putting it in perspective. How much do you value a win? Starting pitching costs like 1m per win, while a top end closer saves about 40 games.. If that's about 20 games they wouldn't have won with the bullpen they have now, then it's worth it in my opinion. Jays are pretty much at the top of blown saves as we all know, so that's pretty invaluable especially playing in a division with the Yankees, Redsox, and Rays.

Also, Heath Bell is a free agent at the end of the year and Jays were looking into him around the trade deadline, so we'll see what happens.
                          I agree on this one.

Papelbon WILL command ALOT of money. And IF we were lucky enough to sign him, he'd easily be our Highest Paid Player (barring the signing of a SP as well). But if he comes in and gives us 40-50 saves, then I look at that as a bargain.

As Ryan said, we're right at the top of Blown Save Chances. If we even get half of those back, we are contending for the Wild Card spot/division. If it takes paying a guy like Bell of Papelbon big Money, I say DO IT. I think Rogers has been more than willing to pay the right guys the right money. I think they'd be behind a signing like this for the right price.

ADD Doesn't it feel ridiculous to now be saying the Yankees, Redsox and RAYS. I remember when they were fighting it out with Baltimore for the Bottom of the pile every year.
                          Last edited by Joey; Sat Sep 3, 2011, 08:49 PM.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                            I agree on this one.

Papelbon WILL command ALOT of money. And IF we were lucky enough to sign him, he'd easily be our Highest Paid Player (barring the signing of a SP as well). But if he comes in and gives us 40-50 saves, then I look at that as a bargain.

As Ryan said, we're right at the top of Blown Save Chances. If we even get half of those back, we are contending for the Wild Card spot/division. If it takes paying a guy like Bell of Papelbon big Money, I say DO IT. I think Rogers has been more than willing to pay the right guys the right money. I think they'd be behind a signing like this for the right price.

ADD Doesn't it feel ridiculous to now be saying the Yankees, Redsox and RAYS. I remember when they were fighting it out with Baltimore for the Bottom of the pile every year.
                            Yeah, the Rays have to pretty much remake whole team every year to every couple years, so they won't be where they are forever.

We definitely need a legitimate closer though, and probably another starter for next year if we want to compete.. It's going around that Yu Darvish would be a good fit in Toronto, and now that the Jays are scouting him, that's definitely a possibility.. Although it will be like a 100m dollar gamble.. So they better hope the scouts really do their jobs. Just his signing rights could be up to like 50m, and that doesn't guarantee he signs with that team (Edit: you get that money back if he doesn't sign with the team though apparently).. It's really crazy.

Good game against the Redsox today, Alvarez is really looking good.. Probably pitching close, if not the best, out of the Jays starters right now.

Also, grats to McGowan on making it back to big leagues, here's to him staying for a long time.
                            Last edited by Ryan_1523; Mon Sep 5, 2011, 08:56 PM.

Comment

We definitely need a legitimate closer though, and probably another starter for next year if we want to compete.. It's going around that Yu Darvish would be a good fit in Toronto, and now that the Jays are scouting him, that's definitely a possibility.. Although it will be like a 100m dollar gamble.. So they better hope the scouts really do their jobs. Just his signing rights could be up to like 50m, and that doesn't guarantee he signs with that team (Edit: you get that money back if he doesn't sign with the team though apparently).. It's really crazy.
                              And don't forget that the Fighters might reject his bid to the posting system.
                              We're better off pursuing other Japanese FAs like Hisashi Iwakuma or Chen Wei-Yin (note: he's taiwanese).
                              Last edited by Prime; Mon Sep 5, 2011, 11:42 PM.

Comment

• McGowan looked good yesterday.. I'd go for letting him start over Perez next time out, I don't think Perez has a legitimate chance of being an actual starter in the big leagues, but McGowan does. Obviously still keep him on his pitch count and everything, but I think he deserves a shot and I don't see who it'd be hurting.

Comment

Working...
                                X