Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft Day Trades

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking the QO to Wright. Would love it too but I agree don't see it happening.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Playing with the ESPN trade machine again, I noticed a lot of players are faded out. The reason is after the trade deadline, a player cannot be traded who's contract is ending (no sh!t) or who has a player/team option or an early termination option.

Given this information, the only players on the roster who are available for a draft day trade are:

Calderon, Bargnani, Bayless, Amir, Kleiza, DeRozan, Davis, Johnson, Alabi. Of these players only the bold players are likely. BC trading Bargnani would be crazier and more unexpected than Deron Williams, DD and Ed are solid pieces to build a team with (pieces not cornerstones), and Kleiza is unmoveable given current injury status. Amir is the least likely of the bolded to be moved in my opinion and, personally, I would not want to see him go.

The Raps would also have around $12M of cap space given the current CBA and they would have the $9M TPE left from Bostrich as well plus future draft picks.

Nice to know what you are dealing with. I guess none of this is new or surprising with the exception of Barbosa, for me at least. He can't be used as trade bait until after July 1st and of course that could very well be a lock out. Does anyone know when his opt out/opt in deadline date is? I've looked everywhere but to no avail.

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

draft kyrie irving
    trade calderon and/or bayless for the rights to Kenneth faried
    trade bargnani for gortat or mozgov

thats my draft day wish list lol.
    Last edited by grindhouse; Fri Mar 11th, 2011 at 12:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post
    draft kyrie irving
    trade calderon and/or bayless for the rights to Kenneth faried
    trade bargnani for gortat or mozgov

thats my draft day wish list lol.
    How about draft Barnes or Irving, trade Bargnani to GS for Biedrins and their draft pick, use that pick for either a PG like Kemba Walker (if we draft Barnes higher) or a SF like Kawhi Leonard (if Irving)?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Maleko wrote: View Post
    How about draft Barnes or Irving, trade Bargnani to GS for Biedrins and their draft pick, use that pick for either a PG like Kemba Walker (if we draft Barnes higher) or a SF like Kawhi Leonard (if Irving)?
    I like that idea. If we can use our pick on Barnes and do that trade for GS's pick and draft walker, or maybe use a slightly lower pick where we do not have to give up Bargs or take a bad contract back.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I'd do an update of the draft day trades proposed. None will happen - as if they ever would, lol - because 1) MIA pick gone, 2) other team traded players or picks, or 3) Barbosa can't be traded.

PHI: Raps take Nocioni and 1st round pick for MIA first round pick and TPE.

HOU: Raps take Jeffries, get lower of HOU/NY draft pick and/or lower of HOU/LAC second round pick for MIA first round pick and TPE

LAC: Raps take Foye and 1st round pick for Barbosa and MIA first round pick.

PHX: Raps take Pietrus and higher of PHX/ORL first round pick for MIA first round pick.

DET: Raps take Jason Maxiell and 1st rounder for MIA first round pick.

MIN: Raps take Webster and one of MEM/UTA first round pick for Calderon and MIA 1st rounder

MIN: Raps take Flynn/Webster/MIN 1st round pick for Calderon/Barbosa/MIA first round pick.

GSW: Raps take Biendris and 1st rounder for MIA first round pick. *This would assume Biendris has no value in the league due to 3 years and $27M remaining*

IND: Raps take Posey and 1st rounder for MIA first round pick. *IND already has low salary for next season - may not be interested in more salary dumps*

Post Thanks / Like

From ESPN:

The seven teams on course to pay tax in the summer, barring unforeseen payroll reductions between now and June 30:

1. Lakers $20.07 million
    2. Magic $19.59 million
    3. Mavericks $16.33 million
    4. Celtics $6.37 million
    5. Jazz $4.96 million
    6. Blazers $3.79 million
    7. Rockets $452,254
    What trade possibilities would be out there to save the team a few million? Keep in mind every dollar shed saves the team two dollars i.e. the salary is shed and that amount is reduced from the above tax numbers.

For example, say POR sheds $2.5M they save $2.5M on salary, $2.5M in luxury tax, for a total savings of $5M.

Now lets say they shed $3.8M, so that saves the team $7.6M but then it allows them to take a cut of the luxury tax with the other 23 teams so they will end up with another approximately $2M. So POR giving away $3.8M in salary actually saves them nearly $10M dollars.

Some people may not agree with the trades I, or others, may propose here but the above is an example of why they are extremely possible - especially for a team like the Jazz and Portland (small market but more likely for UTA because the owner is not a gazillionaire.).

Post Thanks / Like

Default Assuming Toronto and Minnesota picks 1st and 2nd/2nd and 1st

Keeping in mind Tuesday, May 17th is when we find out the lottery order, any stabs at draft day trades? I'll take a stab at a three team trade that will never happen but I wish it would:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3n2yztq

TOR: Ridnour, Tolliver, Thompson, Casspi, draft rights to Irving, draft rights to Kanter
    MIN: Calderon, Garcia, draft rights to Williams
    SAC: Bayless, Bargnani, Webster, MEM pick from MIN

Rationale:

TOR: Do I need to explain? This is the lineup:

PG: Irving, Ridnour
    SG: DD, Barbosa
    SF: Casspi, JJ, Kleiza
    PF: Davis, Amir, Tolliver
    C: Kanter, Thompson, Alalbi

Casspi provides 3 point shooting that would be much needed and becomes an asset moving forward based on the SF's possibly available in 2012 draft (Harrison Barnes, Terrence Jones, Perry Jones III, C.J. Leslie, Michael Gilchrist, Adonis Thomas, LeBryan Nash, Quincy Miller) assuming 1 and done's are still permitted. If Kleiza can come back 100%, they have 3 decent, but no spectacular, players at the SF who could yield other possibilities (draft picks, trades). I see many similarities between JJ and Diaw and see JJ being a versatile bench player down the road as Diaw was in PHX.

Ridnour is a solid back up who is capable of starting if needed. Thompson is a capable back up wh is capable of starting if needed, as well.

The Raps can then offer reasonable contracts a guy like Daequan Cook to help with the 3 point shooting woes. If they could pawn off Alabi, they could possibly resign Reggie Evans if he was willing to accept a role deep on the bench and a reasonable contract.

The Raps also maintain ridiculous flexibility financially moving forward as Barbosa, Tolliver, and Thompson would all come off the books following next season.

MIN: Whether or not Rubio comes next year, this is still good for them. They get two solid veterans in the back court and locker room. Calderon has 2 years left so if not next year, the year after to help Ricky and can start in the meantime.

PG: Rubio???, Calderon, Flynn
    SG: Johnson, Garcia, Ellington
    SF: Beasley, Hayward
    PF: Williams, Randolph
    C: Love, Millicic, Petrovic

SAC: Have spoken opening of trading pick. Cousins and Bargnani could be scary. They would be able to re-sign Thorton as a 6th man spark off the bench. Casspi was unhappy at the end of the year and Westphal said none of the teams wings took advantage of opportunities to claim the starting job. Much like the Raps in the 2012 draft, they could look to solidify the position then as Webster would be an expiring contract. SAC have also talked about taking on salary for next year in an effort to compete however I doubt they will be destination number one for free agents so a trade might be more realistic.

PG: Bayless, Udrih
    SG: Evans, Thornton, Taylor
    SF: Webster, Greene
    PF: Bargnani, Whiteside
    C: Cousins
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri May 13th, 2011 at 08:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Really like the trade and lineup. Still have Barbosa as an asset to trade (lac or houstOn good fits) but very reliant upon draft order.

It's killing me but trying to hold off trade ideas unt after Tuesday.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say, that is a very nice trade! I also think that it might be a little bit too good for the Raptors.

In total we would save close to $47million over the life of the current contracts (not including draft picks) with this trade.

Minnesota on the other hand takes on more salary, and all they show for it is a "mentor" for Rubio, and decent SG in Garcia, and the draft rights to Williams. Adding Williams is nice for them, but considering they could just have taken him anyway with the pick they are trading...and they also give up the Memphis pick.

They are taking on two larger contracts and giving up two picks in the process?

In the Trade Machine link, you also have Sacramento getting Martel Webster from the Kings, but it is missing from the write-up.

I love the trade from Toronto's stand point and and like it from Sacramento's as well. Webster, Bayless and Bargnani work work well with the players they already have (Evans, Thornton, Cousins, etc.).

Minnesota gets a little screwed in the deal...but I still think you are on to something really cool with the basic plan!

How about these tweaks:

Would sending Caspi and Johnson to Minnesota instead of Toronto help?
    Toronto could absorb Garcia's contract as well (still saving lots of money on deal)?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=445tzmk

The same picks would be exchange of course. Toronto would walk away with the top two picks (Irving and Kanter), Minnesota would get the third pick (Williams), and Sacramento would get the Memphis pick (whoever they want at that spot). With the changes, Toronto takes on a bit more money then in the original trade in order to justify walking away with the top two picks.

I don't particularly care who comes back to the Raptors in a deal like this. Adding Thompson would be great as he would add depth to our Front Court. Adding Caspi would give us a nice three point shooter to hold the SF spot until next year's draft, and the rest is just filler. The real money would be walking away with both Irving and Kanter.

If the Raptors could somehow pull that off...I will not stop smiling for a very long time!
    Last edited by Shantz; Fri May 13th, 2011 at 05:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Shantz wrote: View Post
    Gotta say, that is a very nice trade! I also think that it might be a little bit too good for the Raptors.

In total we would save close to $47million over the life of the current contracts (not including draft picks) with this trade.

Minnesota on the other hand takes on more salary, and all they show for it is a "mentor" for Rubio, and decent SG in Garcia, and the draft rights to Williams. Adding Williams is nice for them, but considering they could just have taken him anyway with the pick they are trading...and they also give up the Memphis pick.

They are taking on two larger contracts and giving up two picks in the process?

In the Trade Machine link, you also have Sacramento getting Martel Webster from the Kings, but it is missing from the write-up.

I love the trade from Toronto's stand point and and like it from Sacramento's as well. Webster, Bayless and Bargnani work work well with the players they already have (Evans, Thornton, Cousins, etc.).

Minnesota gets a little screwed in the deal...but I still think you are on to something really cool with the basic plan!

How about these tweaks:

Would sending Caspi and Johnson to Minnesota instead of Toronto help?
    Toronto could absorb Garcia's contract as well (still saving lots of money on deal)?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=445tzmk

The same picks would be exchange of course. Toronto would walk away with the top two picks (Irving and Kanter), Minnesota would get the third pick (Williams), and Sacramento would get the Memphis pick (whoever they want at that spot). With the changes, Toronto takes on a bit more money then in the original trade in order to justify walking away with the top two picks.

I don't particularly care who comes back to the Raptors in a deal like this. Adding Thompson would be great as he would add depth to our Front Court. Adding Caspi would give us a nice three point shooter to hold the SF spot until next year's draft, and the rest is just filler. The real money would be walking away with both Irving and Kanter.

If the Raptors could somehow pull that off...I will not stop smiling for a very long time!
    No, I didn't say much about Webster. (*EDIT* and I just realized what you meant about Webster, I added him). Like Toronto, SAC would be waiting until 2012 draft to get a long term option at the SF. However one thing to remember about Webster is, like Amir, he has been around a long time but is still only 24. He has had injuries but he might get it together yet and in a contract year (team option for 2012-2013) what better time to take the gamble.

Your change would probably make this a little more realistic. Garcia only has 2 more years left on his contract (3rd year is a team option). With all the youth MIN has, it would come down to would they want to spend the extra money on Garcia or would they rather take on another early 20-something year old. Both cases can be argued, especially considering their low payroll. Much like you, if Toronto was able to walk away with Kanter and Irving, I would not care too much what came back and I would also be smiling for a very long time
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri May 13th, 2011 at 08:19 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    No, I didn't say much about Webster. (*EDIT* and I just realized what you meant about Webster, I added him). Like Toronto, SAC would be waiting until 2012 draft to get a long term option at the SF. However one thing to remember about Webster is, like Amir, he has been around a long time but is still only 24. He has had injuries but he might get it together yet and in a contract year (team option for 2012-2013) what better time to take the gamble.

Your change would probably make this a little more realistic. Garcia only has 2 more years left on his contract (3rd year is a team option). With all the youth MIN has, it would come down to would they want to spend the extra money on Garcia or would they rather take on another early 20-something year old. Both cases can be argued, especially considering their low payroll. Much like you, if Toronto was able to walk away with Kanter and Irving, I would not care too much what came back and I would also be smiling for a very long time
    That makes sense! I never thought of it from the perspective that Minnesota could be desiring to add some older players to complement their youth. I just assumed that as a small market team that a big priority in a trade like for them would be to ensure that they are being fiscally responsible for the long term. But Garcia could be a player that they would desire for his age and his position. SG appears to be their most blatant hole as they do not have any natural SG on their current roster.

But seriously, kudos Matt52! I can truly appreciate a trade that clearly had good thought put into it, and it shows in this!

Post Thanks / Like

Default A twist: Assuming Toronto and Minnesota picks 1st/2nd or 2nd/1st

Another stab at the idea from above adding Denver.

(For whatever reason I can't get the yay or nay from the trade machine on this after trying multiple times - it seems like the trade machine is frozen. With that said, I do think it works).

TOR: Ridnour, Tolliver, Webster, Thompson, draft rights to Irving, draft rights to Kanter
    MIN: Calderon, Garcia, draft rights to Williams
    SAC: Bargnani, Felton, Gallinari
    DEN: Casspi, Bayless, Alabi, MEM pick from MIN

Rationale:

TOR: Do I need to explain? This is the lineup:

PG: Irving, Ridnour
    SG: DD, Barbosa
    SF: Webster, JJ, Kleiza
    PF: Davis, Amir, Tolliver
    C: Kanter, Thompson

Webster provides 3 point shooting that would be much needed and becomes an asset moving forward based on the SF's possibly available in 2012 draft (Harrison Barnes, Terrence Jones, Perry Jones III, C.J. Leslie, Michael Gilchrist, Adonis Thomas, LeBryan Nash, Quincy Miller) assuming 1 and done's are still permitted. Webster has a team option after next season so could be considered an expiring. He is still only 24 and in a contract year might be worth a gamble. At worst he is a one year stop gap until next draft. If Kleiza can come back 100%, they have 3 decent, but no spectacular, players at the SF who could yield other possibilities (draft picks, trades). I see many similarities between JJ and Diaw and see JJ being a versatile bench player down the road as Diaw was in PHX.

Ridnour is a solid back up who is capable of starting if needed. Thompson is a capable back up wh is capable of starting if needed, as well. I don't know why but I really like Tolliver - he is aggressive on the boards and can shoot - nice thing to have in your big man rotation.

The Raps can then offer reasonable contracts a guy like Daequan Cook to help with the 3 point shooting woes. They could also possibly resign Reggie Evans if he was willing to accept a role deep on the bench and a reasonable contract.

The Raps also maintain ridiculous flexibility financially moving forward as Barbosa, Tolliver, and Thompson would all come off the books following next season.

MIN: Whether or not Rubio comes next year, this is still good for them. They get two solid veterans in the back court and locker room. Calderon has 2 years left so if not next year, the year after to help Ricky and can start in the meantime with Flynn backing him up.

SF: Beasley, Hayward
    PF: Williams, Randolph
    C: Love, Millicic, Petrovic

SAC: Have spoken openly of trading pick. Cousins and Bargnani could be scary. They would be able to re-sign Thorton as a 6th man spark off the bench. Casspi was unhappy at the end of the year and Westphal said none of the teams wings took advantage of opportunities to claim the starting job - welcome Gallinari. Felton would be the PG SAC have been searching for. Felton, Gallinari, and Bargnani would stretch the floor for Evans and Cousins. SAC have also talked about taking on salary for next year in an effort to compete however I doubt they will be destination number one for free agents so a trade might be more realistic. They would still be nearly $20M under current salary cap to fill out roster.

PG: Felton, Udrih
    SG: Evans, Thornton, Taylor
    SF: Gallinari, Greene
    PF: Bargnani, Whiteside
    C: Cousins

DEN: Denver's motives for this trade are more business related than on court. They save $6M in salary in this trade taking their 2011-2012 payroll to only $23M. That $6M could be very valuable in ensuring they keep all three of Nene, Afflalo, and Chandler. Casspi is a similar player on a cheaper and one year longer contract than Gallinari. Bayless is an expiring contract and suitable backup with something to prove in his final year of rookie deal. Felton has said he wants to start and he most certainly would in SAC. Alabi is Ujiri's diamond in the rough and I only threw him in because I don't have much faith in him - at all. DEN gets another first round which they could package to move up or use as a sweetner in orther deals.

PG: Lawson, Bayless
    SG: Afflalo?,
    SF: Chandler?, Casspi
    PF: Nene?, Harrington
    C: Andersen, Mosgov, Koufos, Alabi

Plus two 2011 first round picks.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

The draft could be very interesting this year as both Sacramento and Minnesota have publically said that they would be willing to trade their pick. With potentially two high picks open to being moved, that leaves some options available to a lot of teams to either move up or to just gain an extra pick.

I can't help but think we have pieces that could interest them without breaking up our core. Bargnani and Bayless are really the keys. Some might have a struggle with this, but if Kanter and Irving are coming back, we can fill those spots with players who have greater potential.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Shantz wrote: View Post
    The draft could be very interesting this year as both Sacramento and Minnesota have publically said that they would be willing to trade their pick. With potentially two high picks open to being moved, that leaves some options available to a lot of teams to either move up or to just gain an extra pick.

I can't help but think we have pieces that could interest them without breaking up our core. Bargnani and Bayless are really the keys. Some might have a struggle with this, but if Kanter and Irving are coming back, we can fill those spots with players who have greater potential.
    If MIN and SAC were not interested in anything with their own pick, the four team deal could look something like this:

TOR: Ridnour, Tolliver, Webster, Thompson, draft rights to Irving, draft rights to Kanter
    MIN: Calderon, Garcia, Casspi
    DEN: Casspi, Bayless, Alabi, draft rights to Williams

MIN would keep the MEM pick here.

TOR and SAC lineups stay the same from previous post. HOwever, this might work out better for MIN and DEN, actually:

MIN lineup:

SF: Beasley, Casspi, Hayward
    PF: Love, Randolph, MEM pick
    C: Millicic, Petrovic

DEN lineup:

SF: Chandler?, own first round pick
    PF: Williams, Harrington,
    C: Nene?, Andersen, Mosgov, Koufos, Alabi

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

If MIN and SAC were not interested in anything with their own pick, the four team deal could look something like this:

TOR and SAC lineups stay the same from previous post. HOwever, this might work out better for MIN and DEN, actually:

MIN lineup:

DEN lineup:

+1, I think that works perfectly! A couple good roles players and a high draft pick for Bargnani, Calderon, Bayless, and Alabi...I would call that a big win!

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't care which one of those trades happen, just as long as it does. Please make this happen.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

MIN lineup:

DEN lineup:

All of a sudden none of this seems inplausible as it once was:

Where Rubio makes things really interesting is in this year's draft. The Timberwolves have the best chance statistically to win the lottery. However, this is being projected as one of the weaker draft classes in the last few years. It's really lacking in star power and there are only two players that really warrant consideration for the top selection: Duke point guard Kyrie Irving and Arizona forward Derrick Williams.

If they win the lottery, the Timberwolves aren't going to draft Irving right after ending a two-year quest to sign Rubio. Williams is an intriguing player with nice versatility, but ideally what they would like to do with the pick is trade it. After winning only 32 games combined over the last two years there is a demand to start winning a lot more regularly from the fan base and ownership.

They've been rebuilding for several years now and there is no lack of young talent on the roster. The need for proven veterans is far more pressing than another high draft pick who would come in with a lot of pressure to be a major contributor immediately. The pick will be shoped heavily whether they win the lottery or not. Amongst the things the Timberwolves would be looking for in a deal for their top first round pick would be an experienced point guard to mentor Rubio and an upgrade at the center position.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz1MKVlmHgY
    The draft lottery is going to be very intersting on Tuesday!! I cannot wait!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry trying to reply with quote but it keeps freezing.

On your last trade I would suggest one addition to Denver. It helps/hurts us a little (both ways) but Denver likely wants some safety net at SG while they await the opportunity to sign FAs:
    Add Barbosa to Den. Rough look salary wise it should still work out for Denver if not we get back Mosgov?
    It certainly means we need to be more aggressive at finding a SG in FA but it may make Denver more comfortable with the trade.

As an aside if this addition happened would people be open to trading the 2012 pick and, Tolliver/Mosgov/Thompson to Port. for Batum? Is the potential of the pick better than Batum now? Is the pick growth time ok with POR now that they have Wallace and need bigs? Would this fit more into what BC would do since he wants young established talent?

Sorry on my phone so can't go into the machine to check.

Post Thanks / Like

All of a sudden none of this seems inplausible as it once was:

The draft lottery is going to be very intersting on Tuesday!! I cannot wait!
    I know anticipation is killing me along with the potential trades we have been talking about that BC is more than capable of pulling off.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information