No announcement yet.

Draft Day Trades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, whatever deal is out there, BC needs to get his act together considering his counterpart in Brian Burke completely redeemed himself by dealing Thomas Kaberle for highly touted prospect Joe Colborne and picks. Watch gonna do Bryco?
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Draft Day Trades: Post yours!

I can't keep Minnesota off my brain with the Calderon connections there (Rubio, Babcock, Martin). Here are 2 to start the thread:

1) http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=4w97uke **

MIN: Calderon, Barbosa to shore up the backcourt and provide some veteran leadership. Their 2012 pick is unprotected - they have to make it as high as possible.

TOR: Flynn and Webster are fillers providing positions of need (PG/SF). The key to this trade for me is to get a bruiser to push Bargnani in practice and play 10-20minutes a night as needed. Webster's deal is not guaranteed past next year.

**There could be a swapping of draft picks as well.

2a) (This trade fails right now but would work draft day).

MIN: Calderon, Mayo
      MEM: (protected til 2015) own 2011 1st rd pick back from MIN, 2011 1st rd pick from PHI
      TOR: Pekovic, Flynn, Nocioni, MIN's 1st round pick
      PHI: salary dump to keep Thaddeus Young

MIN adds greatly to backcourt depth.
      MEM were giving up Mayo for McRoberts and IND 1st round pick, obviously not much value for Mayo right now. This is a better deal for them plus lose Mayo's $5.6M salary next season.
      TOR adds a solid 4th big in a C not afraid to hit people (including Bargnani), 21 year old PG with upside, veteran at SF who is an expiring contract, is MIN pick pushing it?
      PHI salary dump as already said.

If MIN pick to TOR is unrealisitc for giving up Calderon and taking on Nocioni's salary then I would be all over 2b):

2b)
      MIN: Calderon, Mayo
      MEM: MIN's 1st round pick
      TOR: Pekovic, Flynn, Nocioni, Xavier Henry, 2011 1st rd pick from PHI
      PHI: salary dump to keep Thaddeus Young

All same reasons as above. Henry is a 3 and D SG who would be great behind DD. Still only 19 years old with one season at Kansas, petty contract negotiations with MEM over summer, minor injuries costing time, and currently behind Tony Allen and Sam Young (who are both back next year) on the bench.

Do you have any possible draft day trades?

Comment

The only thing I can think of is if we don't win the lottery, we trade our pick for multiple picks which are also in the lotto.

Comment

How about a dream that won't happen -
          Calderon (I am loving his fit right now with the Raptors but how long will he be healthy - fits very well next to Ellis), Bayless (back up Ellis for miniscule minutes), J Wright, to GS
          TPE to Philly, plus GS 1st rounder
          Nocioni (cost cutting to resign Young), Biedrins (big time out of favour in GS), Curry (who would fit with us, and I believe is still feuding with Ellis and Philly 1st rounder NOTE: rumours out of GS is that Ellis is protected and Curry is the one 'available')

Comment

This was your trade:

GSW: Calderon, Bayless, Wright to GS
            PHI: TPE and GSW 1st rounder
            TOR: Noc, Biendris, Curry, PHI 1st rounder

Wright is a free agent this summer so he can't be used in a trade. Honestly, the trade would be a dream come. What about this (GSW currently projected to draft 11 and Toronto 5/6):
            http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=63a3zrh

GSW: Calderon, Bayless, Alabi, right to flip 2011 1st round picks with TOR (5/6 for 11), PHI 2011 1st round pick
            PHI: TPE (in new CBA, I think everyone agrees cap space will be valuable and they risk losing Young)
            TOR: Nocioni, Biendris, Curry

GSW gets a PG who can shoot and set up others, a bench player, and a project at C. They'd probably go for Kanter or Valanciunas, IMO. They trade one 'bad' contract for another in Calderon but he has one less year.

PHI gets cap relief in a future CBA that is sure to have less money for salaries and they can re-sign Young).

TOR gets a rugged, veteran SF, a backup C, and the PG of the future. With the Raps draft pick, they can go after whatever the best player available is - in this draft, I would venture a guess and say it is a wing (Burks, Hamilton?).

I'd love this to happen but, like most trade ideas, will never happen. Biggest reason against it would be it doesn't solve the defensive problems the GSW currently have matching up against bigger shooting guards.

Comment

I was thinking the QO to Wright. Would love it too but I agree don't see it happening.

Comment

Playing with the ESPN trade machine again, I noticed a lot of players are faded out. The reason is after the trade deadline, a player cannot be traded who's contract is ending (no sh!t) or who has a player/team option or an early termination option.

Given this information, the only players on the roster who are available for a draft day trade are:

Calderon, Bargnani, Bayless, Amir, Kleiza, DeRozan, Davis, Johnson, Alabi. Of these players only the bold players are likely. BC trading Bargnani would be crazier and more unexpected than Deron Williams, DD and Ed are solid pieces to build a team with (pieces not cornerstones), and Kleiza is unmoveable given current injury status. Amir is the least likely of the bolded to be moved in my opinion and, personally, I would not want to see him go.

The Raps would also have around $12M of cap space given the current CBA and they would have the $9M TPE left from Bostrich as well plus future draft picks.

Nice to know what you are dealing with. I guess none of this is new or surprising with the exception of Barbosa, for me at least. He can't be used as trade bait until after July 1st and of course that could very well be a lock out. Does anyone know when his opt out/opt in deadline date is? I've looked everywhere but to no avail.

Comment

draft kyrie irving
                  trade calderon and/or bayless for the rights to Kenneth faried
                  trade bargnani for gortat or mozgov

thats my draft day wish list lol.
                  Last edited by grindhouse; Fri Mar 11, 2011, 01:19 AM.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                    draft kyrie irving
                    trade calderon and/or bayless for the rights to Kenneth faried
                    trade bargnani for gortat or mozgov

thats my draft day wish list lol.
                    How about draft Barnes or Irving, trade Bargnani to GS for Biedrins and their draft pick, use that pick for either a PG like Kemba Walker (if we draft Barnes higher) or a SF like Kawhi Leonard (if Irving)?

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                      How about draft Barnes or Irving, trade Bargnani to GS for Biedrins and their draft pick, use that pick for either a PG like Kemba Walker (if we draft Barnes higher) or a SF like Kawhi Leonard (if Irving)?
                      I like that idea. If we can use our pick on Barnes and do that trade for GS's pick and draft walker, or maybe use a slightly lower pick where we do not have to give up Bargs or take a bad contract back.

Comment

I thought I'd do an update of the draft day trades proposed. None will happen - as if they ever would, lol - because 1) MIA pick gone, 2) other team traded players or picks, or 3) Barbosa can't be traded.

PHI: Raps take Nocioni and 1st round pick for MIA first round pick and TPE.

HOU: Raps take Jeffries, get lower of HOU/NY draft pick and/or lower of HOU/LAC second round pick for MIA first round pick and TPE

LAC: Raps take Foye and 1st round pick for Barbosa and MIA first round pick.

PHX: Raps take Pietrus and higher of PHX/ORL first round pick for MIA first round pick.

DET: Raps take Jason Maxiell and 1st rounder for MIA first round pick.

MIN: Raps take Webster and one of MEM/UTA first round pick for Calderon and MIA 1st rounder

MIN: Raps take Flynn/Webster/MIN 1st round pick for Calderon/Barbosa/MIA first round pick.

GSW: Raps take Biendris and 1st rounder for MIA first round pick. *This would assume Biendris has no value in the league due to 3 years and $27M remaining*

IND: Raps take Posey and 1st rounder for MIA first round pick. *IND already has low salary for next season - may not be interested in more salary dumps*

Comment

From ESPN:

The seven teams on course to pay tax in the summer, barring unforeseen payroll reductions between now and June 30:

1. Lakers $20.07 million
                          2. Magic $19.59 million
                          3. Mavericks $16.33 million
                          4. Celtics $6.37 million
                          5. Jazz $4.96 million
                          6. Blazers $3.79 million
                          7. Rockets $452,254
                          What trade possibilities would be out there to save the team a few million? Keep in mind every dollar shed saves the team two dollars i.e. the salary is shed and that amount is reduced from the above tax numbers.

For example, say POR sheds $2.5M they save $2.5M on salary, $2.5M in luxury tax, for a total savings of $5M.

Now lets say they shed $3.8M, so that saves the team $7.6M but then it allows them to take a cut of the luxury tax with the other 23 teams so they will end up with another approximately $2M. So POR giving away $3.8M in salary actually saves them nearly $10M dollars.

Some people may not agree with the trades I, or others, may propose here but the above is an example of why they are extremely possible - especially for a team like the Jazz and Portland (small market but more likely for UTA because the owner is not a gazillionaire.).

Comment

Assuming Toronto and Minnesota picks 1st and 2nd/2nd and 1st

Keeping in mind Tuesday, May 17th is when we find out the lottery order, any stabs at draft day trades? I'll take a stab at a three team trade that will never happen but I wish it would:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3n2yztq

TOR: Ridnour, Tolliver, Thompson, Casspi, draft rights to Irving, draft rights to Kanter
                            MIN: Calderon, Garcia, draft rights to Williams
                            SAC: Bayless, Bargnani, Webster, MEM pick from MIN

Rationale:

TOR: Do I need to explain? This is the lineup:

PG: Irving, Ridnour
                            SG: DD, Barbosa
                            SF: Casspi, JJ, Kleiza
                            PF: Davis, Amir, Tolliver
                            C: Kanter, Thompson, Alalbi

Casspi provides 3 point shooting that would be much needed and becomes an asset moving forward based on the SF's possibly available in 2012 draft (Harrison Barnes, Terrence Jones, Perry Jones III, C.J. Leslie, Michael Gilchrist, Adonis Thomas, LeBryan Nash, Quincy Miller) assuming 1 and done's are still permitted. If Kleiza can come back 100%, they have 3 decent, but no spectacular, players at the SF who could yield other possibilities (draft picks, trades). I see many similarities between JJ and Diaw and see JJ being a versatile bench player down the road as Diaw was in PHX.

Ridnour is a solid back up who is capable of starting if needed. Thompson is a capable back up wh is capable of starting if needed, as well.

The Raps can then offer reasonable contracts a guy like Daequan Cook to help with the 3 point shooting woes. If they could pawn off Alabi, they could possibly resign Reggie Evans if he was willing to accept a role deep on the bench and a reasonable contract.

The Raps also maintain ridiculous flexibility financially moving forward as Barbosa, Tolliver, and Thompson would all come off the books following next season.

MIN: Whether or not Rubio comes next year, this is still good for them. They get two solid veterans in the back court and locker room. Calderon has 2 years left so if not next year, the year after to help Ricky and can start in the meantime.

PG: Rubio???, Calderon, Flynn
                            SG: Johnson, Garcia, Ellington
                            SF: Beasley, Hayward
                            PF: Williams, Randolph
                            C: Love, Millicic, Petrovic

SAC: Have spoken opening of trading pick. Cousins and Bargnani could be scary. They would be able to re-sign Thorton as a 6th man spark off the bench. Casspi was unhappy at the end of the year and Westphal said none of the teams wings took advantage of opportunities to claim the starting job. Much like the Raps in the 2012 draft, they could look to solidify the position then as Webster would be an expiring contract. SAC have also talked about taking on salary for next year in an effort to compete however I doubt they will be destination number one for free agents so a trade might be more realistic.

PG: Bayless, Udrih
                            SG: Evans, Thornton, Taylor
                            SF: Webster, Greene
                            PF: Bargnani, Whiteside
                            C: Cousins
                            Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri May 13, 2011, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Really like the trade and lineup. Still have Barbosa as an asset to trade (lac or houstOn good fits) but very reliant upon draft order.

It's killing me but trying to hold off trade ideas unt after Tuesday.

Comment

Gotta say, that is a very nice trade! I also think that it might be a little bit too good for the Raptors.

In total we would save close to $47million over the life of the current contracts (not including draft picks) with this trade.

Minnesota on the other hand takes on more salary, and all they show for it is a "mentor" for Rubio, and decent SG in Garcia, and the draft rights to Williams. Adding Williams is nice for them, but considering they could just have taken him anyway with the pick they are trading...and they also give up the Memphis pick.

They are taking on two larger contracts and giving up two picks in the process?

In the Trade Machine link, you also have Sacramento getting Martel Webster from the Kings, but it is missing from the write-up.

I love the trade from Toronto's stand point and and like it from Sacramento's as well. Webster, Bayless and Bargnani work work well with the players they already have (Evans, Thornton, Cousins, etc.).

Minnesota gets a little screwed in the deal...but I still think you are on to something really cool with the basic plan!

How about these tweaks:

Would sending Caspi and Johnson to Minnesota instead of Toronto help?
                                Toronto could absorb Garcia's contract as well (still saving lots of money on deal)?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=445tzmk

The same picks would be exchange of course. Toronto would walk away with the top two picks (Irving and Kanter), Minnesota would get the third pick (Williams), and Sacramento would get the Memphis pick (whoever they want at that spot). With the changes, Toronto takes on a bit more money then in the original trade in order to justify walking away with the top two picks.

I don't particularly care who comes back to the Raptors in a deal like this. Adding Thompson would be great as he would add depth to our Front Court. Adding Caspi would give us a nice three point shooter to hold the SF spot until next year's draft, and the rest is just filler. The real money would be walking away with both Irving and Kanter.

If the Raptors could somehow pull that off...I will not stop smiling for a very long time!
                                Last edited by Shantz; Fri May 13, 2011, 05:17 PM.
                                http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Working...
                                X