Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chisholm: Three young players the Raptors should trade for ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chisholm: Three young players the Raptors should trade for ...

Here are three names that the Raptors should pay particular attention to, and one name that they should steer clear from.

O.J. Mayo - Memphis Grizzlies

To get him the Raptors would probably have to sacrifice Leandro Barbosa and, more significantly, may have to absorb the contract of Hasheem Thabeet, the preeminent bust of last year's draft. The Grizzlies are only a game-and-a-half out of the eighth playoff spot out West, and getting a dependable veteran scorer off of the bench (to essentially replace Mayo without the drama that comes from having him) might be just the ticket to pry him away from the Grizzlies. Swapping Barbosa for Mayo should be a pretty easy deal for the Raptors to pull the trigger on if Memphis were amenable, but taking on Thabeet and the $5-million he's guaranteed next season might be a deal-breaker. No one knows what Memphis would demand (and what they would accept) to get Mayo out of their system, but the Raptors would appear to be a team well positioned to find out this month.

Jonny Flynn - Minnesota Timberwolves

It's hard to say what the Raptors would have to sacrifice to get Flynn, though. Obviously he's not worth Toronto's first-round pick, and Minnesota is already well below the cap so financial savings wouldn't appear to be a major consideration. Taking back an onerous contract (like that of Martell Webster) doesn't hold much interest for Toronto, either, so it's again unclear what it would take to pry Flynn loose. Put it this way: if the Raptors can get him for Miami's pick plus a non-core asset, you jump on it. If they have to take back Webster or give up Bayless or a better pick, it's not worth it. Chalk this acquisition up as unlikely.

Avery Bradley - Boston Celtics

The Raptors were hot after Bradley in the draft, though their interest may have cooled since acquiring Bayless. Still, Boston may be in the market for some inexpensive help at the small forward spot with Marquis Daniels going down, and Sonny Weems or Julian Wright may be enough to pry Bradley loose if the Raptors still want him.

DO NOT PURSUE

Aaron Brooks - Houston Rockets

It would seem counter-intuitive to say the Raptors should pursue Jonny Flynn, basically a low-rent version of Brooks, and not Brooks himself this winter, but that isn't necessarily true. Flynn still has two more years on his rookie deal to play with before the Raptors would have to make any kind of longterm decision with regards to him, whereas Brooks is a free agent this summer. The Raptors have worked hard to open up cap space this summer, and having to consider spending it on Brooks (whom they would probably not consider spending it on were he merely someone else's free agent this summer) takes attention away from better-suited pursuits. Sure, Brooks at $2-million is great. Having to re-sign him for $5-$6-million - not so much. He may be a name that attracts some interest this month, but it's not likely to come from the Raptors.

Link: http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/tim_chisholm/?id=353001

I like the idea of mayo and thabeet coming to the raptors for barbosa because i would like to see the raptors experiment Bargnani + Thabeet; see how that goes. i would trade bradley for weem or wright. What are your thoughts ?
    Last edited by South_Side_Jane; Sun Feb 13, 2011, 12:02 PM.

I'd jump on the Bradley trade in a minute
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Flynn is on the block on Minny? Can't see the T'Wolves giving up on him even though he's an overrated defender and a poor passer. Right now his projection is T.J Ford. Pass.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
        Flynn is on the block on Minny? Can't see the T'Wolves giving up on him even though he's an overrated defender and a poor passer. Right now his projection is T.J Ford. Pass.
        I'm not sure anyone's seen enough of him in a proper flowing offense to really make an accurate projection. It's been said more than once that he's struggled grasping the Triangle Offense, and as such, I'm not sure he's gotten a fair shake.

I think some of the allure of having Flynn in Toronto is that he considers himself "Pretty much Canadian" as he grew up in Niagara Falls and played at Syracuse. Though I do agree I can't see the Wolves giving up on him this early UNLESS they get Rubio on board. Ridnour has been playing off the hook this year and has made Flynns minutes a little more hard to come by. I think the Jury is still out on this kid.

ADD: Also, I think people forget how unbelievable Ford was playing for us before he went down, and then went Psycho. Dude was VERY unselfish with the ball and took good shots most of the time. I'd be happy with an uninjured TJ Ford. Unfortunately Flynn IS injury prone and thus, I'm not so hot on him.
        Last edited by Joey; Sun Feb 13, 2011, 12:44 PM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          I'm not sure anyone's seen enough of him in a proper flowing offense to really make an accurate projection. It's been said more than once that he's struggled grasping the Triangle Offense, and as such, I'm not sure he's gotten a fair shake.

I think some of the allure of having Flynn in Toronto is that he considers himself "Pretty much Canadian" as he grew up in Niagara Falls and played at Syracuse. Though I do agree I can't see the Wolves giving up on him this early UNLESS they get Rubio on board. Ridnour has been playing off the hook this year and has made Flynns minutes a little more hard to come by. I think the Jury is still out on this kid.

ADD: Also, I think people forget how unbelievable Ford was playing for us before he went down, and then went Psycho.
          Dude was VERY unselfish with the ball and took good shots most of the time. I'd be happy with an uninjured TJ Ford.
          Very true. He also had a pretty serious surgery where they shaved the hip bone down so the ball joint could fit in the socket better.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            He also had a pretty serious surgery where they shaved the hip bone down so the ball joint could fit in the socket better.
            Sounds delightful... Ugh. haha

Comment

I would do Barbosa for OJ mayo anyday. Move DeRozan to the 3 and have Mayo starting at the 2. Then we would have a nice starting lineup. Have Sonny Weems as the the 2 or 3 off the bench and draft another wing player to develop we are good to go. I would be very pleased if that deal goes through.
              "Defense wins championships."

Comment

As far as the Flynn deal I wouldnt do it, if we want another back up point guard better to draft one. I think we need to make bayless the point guard of the future on the raptors, his defense is good, and offensively the sky is the limit for him. Avery Bradley ... meh, if we can get him cheap I guess.

Comment

Here's an ideal projection for Mayo: Jason Terry. Some in MEM want him playing the point which I don't get. On a good team he's a scorer off the bench, even though he was more efficient starting last year (this year he's coming off the bench). Him and Weems are redundant, kind of like having Belinelli around last year.

No issues with moving DD to the three. As long as he perfects his high release-point and defends like has been doing the last month, he can fit in anywhere and get his shot off against most.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                    No issues with moving DD to the three. As long as he perfects his high release-point and defends like has been doing the last month, he can fit in anywhere and get his shot off against most.
                    Not feeling DD at the three. I think he'd be undersized - and that is even after bulking up a little. As long as Bargnani is around they need a beast at the SF - much like Gerald Wallace or my new favourite college player Terrence Jones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEgmxg8OF90

Check out the block and transition dunk at 1:11 and the very final highlight versus Notre Dame.

He is left handed - him at the 3 and Davis at the 4 would certainly create a few highlight blocks.

Comment

Bargnani, Calderon need to go. Get Larry Brown for next year and build around a core of johnson, derozan, bayless, and davis. Bring in a defensive beast of a center and surround him with offensive guards (Bayless, Mayo) derozan at the 3, johnson at the 4, all those guys play good defense, we will be alright. All these players are young and have the physical attributes to be good defenders, give them a coach like larry brown who is defense first, and they will be successful. Offense wont be a problem since all these guys can score.

Comment

I think Mayo is a huge improvement over weems. He can shoot lol.

Comment

South_Side_Jane wrote: View Post
                          Here are three names that the Raptors should pay particular attention to, and one name that they should steer clear from.

O.J. Mayo - Memphis Grizzlies

To get him the Raptors would probably have to sacrifice Leandro Barbosa and, more significantly, may have to absorb the contract of Hasheem Thabeet, the preeminent bust of last year's draft. The Grizzlies are only a game-and-a-half out of the eighth playoff spot out West, and getting a dependable veteran scorer off of the bench (to essentially replace Mayo without the drama that comes from having him) might be just the ticket to pry him away from the Grizzlies. Swapping Barbosa for Mayo should be a pretty easy deal for the Raptors to pull the trigger on if Memphis were amenable, but taking on Thabeet and the $5-million he's guaranteed next season might be a deal-breaker. No one knows what Memphis would demand (and what they would accept) to get Mayo out of their system, but the Raptors would appear to be a team well positioned to find out this month.

Jonny Flynn - Minnesota Timberwolves

It's hard to say what the Raptors would have to sacrifice to get Flynn, though. Obviously he's not worth Toronto's first-round pick, and Minnesota is already well below the cap so financial savings wouldn't appear to be a major consideration. Taking back an onerous contract (like that of Martell Webster) doesn't hold much interest for Toronto, either, so it's again unclear what it would take to pry Flynn loose. Put it this way: if the Raptors can get him for Miami's pick plus a non-core asset, you jump on it. If they have to take back Webster or give up Bayless or a better pick, it's not worth it. Chalk this acquisition up as unlikely.

Avery Bradley - Boston Celtics

The Raptors were hot after Bradley in the draft, though their interest may have cooled since acquiring Bayless. Still, Boston may be in the market for some inexpensive help at the small forward spot with Marquis Daniels going down, and Sonny Weems or Julian Wright may be enough to pry Bradley loose if the Raptors still want him.

DO NOT PURSUE

Aaron Brooks - Houston Rockets

It would seem counter-intuitive to say the Raptors should pursue Jonny Flynn, basically a low-rent version of Brooks, and not Brooks himself this winter, but that isn't necessarily true. Flynn still has two more years on his rookie deal to play with before the Raptors would have to make any kind of longterm decision with regards to him, whereas Brooks is a free agent this summer. The Raptors have worked hard to open up cap space this summer, and having to consider spending it on Brooks (whom they would probably not consider spending it on were he merely someone else's free agent this summer) takes attention away from better-suited pursuits. Sure, Brooks at $2-million is great. Having to re-sign him for $5-$6-million - not so much. He may be a name that attracts some interest this month, but it's not likely to come from the Raptors.

Link: http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/tim_chisholm/?id=353001

I like the idea of mayo and thabeet coming to the raptors for barbosa because i would like to see the raptors experiment Bargnani + Thabeet; see how that goes. i would trade bradley for weem or wright. What are your thoughts ?
                          I will most likely jump on the Jonny Flynn trade myself. With Flynn in, we can trade Calderon or Bayless for draft picks which we can combine with the Miami draft pick to move up in the draft. OJ Mayo is a big if but he is talented(so I would take a flier on him too, if he plays badly or he is a cancer, his ass sits on the bench or you give him the Eddy Curry treatment(don't show up to the Raptors facility lol)) while Avery Bradley is not NBA-ready and is another project lol(we have enough projects on this team, we don't need another one lol).

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                            Bargnani, Calderon need to go. Get Larry Brown for next year and build around a core of johnson, derozan, bayless, and davis. Bring in a defensive beast of a center and surround him with offensive guards (Bayless, Mayo) derozan at the 3, johnson at the 4, all those guys play good defense, we will be alright. All these players are young and have the physical attributes to be good defenders, give them a coach like larry brown who is defense first, and they will be successful. Offense wont be a problem since all these guys can score.
                            I'm not sure you are familiar with Larry Brown's last few coaching jobs. He told the Cats to draft Augustine instead of Lopez - eventhough they had Felton - when C was and still is a glaring need on the team. He typically goes in and sends all players who are already there packing. He is known to hate rookies and sit them. He is known to be extremely difficult on his point guards. His act grows old very quick as has been seen in his last few coaching jobs - which I think he purposely does to get fired so he can collect the cheques at home (see: DET, NYK, CHA). CHA has played much better since he left. There is no doubt he is a good coach but I do not think he is the man for the Raptors job.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

ADD: Also, I think people forget how unbelievable Ford was playing for us before he went down, and then went Psycho. Dude was VERY unselfish with the ball and took good shots most of the time. I'd be happy with an uninjured TJ Ford. Unfortunately Flynn IS injury prone and thus, I'm not so hot on him.
                              +1 plus I believe Jonny Flynn is one of those guys that really needs a change of scenery and the poor passer image might be because the Timberwolves hardly have any high fliers for leakouts(probably Brewer and to a small extent Beasly(he prefers to shoot jumpshots instead lol) while we have DD, Sonny, Amir, Julian Wright here) which should be good for 3-4 assists a game. I am okay with a PG averaging 7 assists a game(that should be the average PG in my opinion). However, due to the injury issues the guy might have, a thorough medical has to be done for him, if he does not check out 100% - we go for a backup PG with an upgraded Miami Heat draft pick in Nolan Smith and trade Calderon for draft picks.
                              Last edited by smushmush; Sun Feb 13, 2011, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X