Jerryd Bayless, really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerryd Bayless, really?

Although he has had a few moments that give hope to his future, does anyone really feel he is the answer for the future at PG for the Rapotrs?

I am not sold on his ability to run a team full-time as a starter over 82 games. We all know we need improvements in certain areas, but PG is still one big concern after Jose.

I know he has youth going for him, but I just don't see "it" in him.
    Last edited by WJF; Mon Feb 14, 2011, 02:38 PM.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

If I was forced to make a call today I would say I think he's destined to be a bench PG. I don't think it's fair to toss the weight of the offense on his shoulders that this point in time. I also don't think it's justified to do so given that the Raptors have little invested in him at this point.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
      Although he has had a few moments that give hope to his future, does anyone really feel he is the answer for the future at PG for the Rapotrs?

I am not sold on his ability to run a team full-time as a starter over 82 games. We all know we need improvements in certain areas, but PG is still one big concern after Jose.
      I think as a starter he has proven more than capable of running the team. When he is used off the bench it is mostly along side Jose, which allows him to take the shots and be aggressive. When placed in the Startling Lineup as a PG, he has shown to be very unselfish with the ball and quite capable of getting everyone involved.
      I think it's too soon to definitively put this guy up or down.

Comment

I'm not really sold on him at all, he needs to show more consistency and not make so many awful passes. I do realize he's still very young and can definitely improve, but I just don't see him as our starting PG in training/waiting.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Personally, I'm a Bayless fan. I think he can be a very good player in this league if he gets minutes. He's put up some 7,8,9 + assist games this season when he has started. He's averaging career highs almost across the board. he just needs to build up some consistency and needs more time. Way too early to write him off. He'll never be a Chris Paul or Deron Williams, but he could very well be a guy like Tony Parker or Devin Harris.

Comment

I was at the game last night, and one thing I noticed was how the offence stalled when JB was in. I got the vibe that he was trying to play similar to Calderon but that's not really his style. When he's in the Raptors need to use his speed with a high pick and roll and see if he can create that way by driving an dishing.
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Once you reach Max Level, you stop leveling

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

I really like JB, especially his attitude. I think he might be better as a 2 though. He shows too many glimpes of TJFord-ism when playing the point. He is shoot first, pass later. I love his mugging of opposing benches though. He seems like the type of guy who loves his team and would pop his jersey to the crowd when he hits clutch shots. He has a big future here one way or another.

Comment

When he's started he's been great. I like the guy from what I've seen. Bayless as a starter was putting up something like 15 points, 8 assists and 4 rebounds. He was hitting the 3 pretty decenty as well. Unlike Jose who can't seem to hit anything these days.
                Last edited by jeff_hostetler; Mon Feb 14, 2011, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Inconsistency is one of the signs that a player won't/can't be a starter on a good team in this league.

Comment

But he was consistently good when he started.

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                      But he was consistently good when he started.
                      Putting up numbers didn't help the Raptors win.

Comment

size baby, size... can't teach that

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                          Putting up numbers didn't help the Raptors win.
                          Neither did having half their team injured.

Comment

I think Bayless is best used in conjunction with other assets BC has (ie: Evans, Weems, Wright, Dorsey, Alabi, Ajinca, Miami's pick, Toronto 2nd round pick) to trade for more legit young talent.

Bayless is destined to be a backup PG at best, because he is NOT a pass-first PG and is too small to be a starting SG. I would rather use him and other assets to go after young pass-first PG who could be our PG of the future.

I wish BC could pull off a miracle and try to pry Rubio away from Minnesota, or somehow land Deron Williams in free agency, as he is apparently unhappy in Utah. Pipe dreams I know, but I would rather swing for the fences with a proven talent, or acquire more first round picks to try and get the top PG in the draft, rather than rely on Bayless to be the Raptors' floor general of the future.

Comment

Rubio is bunk. Overhyped Prima-donna

Bayless is legit young talent. He's not getting the playing time to develop, hence, as is, he will always be unrealized potential. He needs to play. I like Jose, but the season is a wash. Might as well see what Bayless can do now.

Comment

Working...
                              X