No announcement yet.

Blake Griffin Could Have Been A Raptor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blake Griffin Could Have Been A Raptor?

Here’s one for you:

How would have liked Blake Griffin in a Raptors uniform?

You have to trust me on this but it comes from a guy I trust without doubt and it works like this.

Way back after the Clips on the lottery, there was a call made to determine if there was any interest in a deal that would have sent Chris Bosh to the Clippers for the No. 1 overall pick with Toronto willing to take back the then-monstrous contract of Baron Davis in the deal.

Didn’t happen, too bad.
    Source: Doug Smith's Blog

I don't believe this rumor.

When you have a consensus number 1 pick, it never gets traded.

I would be more interested to know what were the offers for the Raptors 2006 first overall pick.

Comment

Salt, Wound. Wound, Salt. Now rub.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I remember hearing about that rumour a while ago and wanting to scream. Almost forgot about it too, thanks.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
          I don't believe this rumor.

When you have a consensus number 1 pick, it never gets traded.

I would be more interested to know what were the offers for the Raptors 2006 first overall pick.
          If, for example, Bosh were coming out in this draft and people knew for sure he was capable of what he did last season he would be a consensus #1. We need to take this in context. The year Blake Griffin came out the Clippers were in rebuild mode. They had/have an owner who was/is completely disgusted with Baron Davis to the point that he heckles the man via his court side seats. Baron Davis then had a huge amount of money left, major healthy concerns and obviously was not going to be able to perform at the level that earned him that big deal. He was and still is a road block in L.A. for the Clippers taking another step forward. I believe something like that could have been on the table. No one knew Blake Griffin would be this good in his rookie year. Davis' hugely inflated contract plus the uncertainty of a draft choice for a legit perennial All-Star who is one of the best scorers in the league, hits the glass and was getting MVP votes? Doesn't sound like a bad move to me when putting myself in that situation at that time.
          Last edited by Apollo; Mon Feb 14, 2011, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
            Salt, Wound. Wound, Salt. Now rub.
            hahahaha Indeed.

Comment

I can believe it. Sterling would be far more interested in making money short-term than drafting a guy with bigger upside.

Comment

I would have done a Bosh for #1 pick (Griffin) trade in a heartbeat and was vocal on this forum about just that deal. Given the uncertainty of any pick, assuming that risk AND taking on Davis' contract would have been a 50-50 deal at best, especially if the Raps believed they could have re-signed Bosh (I wanted a Bosh-Griffin trade even if Bosh did want to stay). The other thing to remember is that back then the Raps may have expected to get a lot more in return for Bosh than just a late 1st-round pick and a huge TPE, so that would have factored into the decision making as well for BC

Even if we assume that deal could have been had and we were willing to do it, it's crazy to think about how all the other dominos would have fallen differently over the past year-and-a-half! I guarantee that Jack would not have been signed and even if the Turkoglu trade still was made, I wonder how he would have fared on the roster without Bosh? Too many variables to simply look back at that one potential deal in a vacuum.

Comment

If this is accurate perhaps a deal should have got done?

Comment

Not to mention the kind of crap BC would have been hearing from everyone here when Blake went down in his rookie year.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
                      If this is accurate perhaps a deal should have got done?
                      Bosh was posting career numbers. Colangelo had no idea he was going to bolt. Baron Davis' contract was a nightmare. The Raptors looked as though they were going forward, not backwards. I can think of lots of reasons why it might have gotten rejected then.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        I would have done a Bosh for #1 pick (Griffin) trade in a heartbeat and was vocal on this forum about just that deal. Given the uncertainty of any pick, assuming that risk AND taking on Davis' contract would have been a 50-50 deal at best, especially if the Raps believed they could have re-signed Bosh (I wanted a Bosh-Griffin trade even if Bosh did want to stay). The other thing to remember is that back then the Raps may have expected to get a lot more in return for Bosh than just a late 1st-round pick and a huge TPE, so that would have factored into the decision making as well for BC

Even if we assume that deal could have been had and we were willing to do it, it's crazy to think about how all the other dominos would have fallen differently over the past year-and-a-half! I guarantee that Jack would not have been signed and even if the Turkoglu trade still was made, I wonder how he would have fared on the roster without Bosh? Too many variables to simply look back at that one potential deal in a vacuum.
                        If you can provide a forum link where you said they shouldve taken the #1 pick in exchange for Bosh before the FA period went down, then id salute you but this is a case of "if i knew back then what i know now". nobody in their right mind would trade a franchise player for a #1 draft pick, unless that pick is Lebron. Even i wouldnt pull that move, thats just total disrespect to Bosh as the #1 guy in Toronto, i hate him, but that would just be utterly disrespectful. No GM will trade a 20-10 for a potential 20-10. Its easy for us to say that we would pull that move because we dont have the pressure of humiliation and job loss if that move didnt pan out, but BC did.

Wouldve been, couldve been. Thats about it.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          Not to mention the kind of crap BC would have been hearing from everyone here when Blake went down in his rookie year.
                          pardon the language, but this deserves a FUCK YEAH.
                          you'd all be hunting BC for his first born.

Comment

who messed up? bc or sterling
                            ya dun noe

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              Bosh was posting career numbers. Colangelo had no idea he was going to bolt. Baron Davis' contract was a nightmare. The Raptors looked as though they were going forward, not backwards. I can think of lots of reasons why it might have gotten rejected then.
                              blake got injuried very shortly after that. people would of had BC head if he made that trade.

Comment

Working...
                              X