View Poll Results: Should the Raptors trade one/both 1st round draft picks?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Weak draft

2 5.88%
  • Yes - Trade the Raptors' pick but keep the Heat's pick

0 0%
  • Yes - Trade the Heat's pick but keep the Raptors' pick

9 26.47%
  • No - Stockpile young talent

23 67.65%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Raptors Looking To Deal Draft Picks?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Raptors Looking To Deal Draft Picks?

Although we are over four months away from the 2011 NBA Draft there is a growing concern around the league about the overall strength and depth of the class. Even in the best case scenario, with the majority of the top underclassmen like Perry Jones III of Baylor and Duke's Kyrie Irving declaring, there's still few expecting the 2011 draft to provide a major impact.

According to sources, those projections have several teams ready to move their picks in trades rather than using them to bring in first-year talent. The Toronto Raptors, Portland Trail Blazers, Phoenix Suns, Minnesota Timberwolves and New Jersey Nets all have multiple first round picks that they could move. The Raptors, Timberwolves and Nets in particular wouldn't mind letting go of one of their selections due to already having a surplus of young players.
    Source: Hoops World

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Matt52 and I were actually talking about this, where it might perhaps be nice to ADD a pick in a sellers market. I don't think this will be a weak draft, and I've yet to really hear it declared 'weak'. That Iam Thompson article I posted a while back gave a nice summary I think, and I agree that some solid senior's will be coming out this year and could fetch a couple very solid role players in the latter half of the first round.

But I was also wondering when the Raptors do reach that point of being too young and needing the Del Curry's and Charles Oakley's to balance out the maturity level on the floor. I'm sure BC has been shopping the Miami pick, but I can't see him moving our unless we get a killer deal. But he has surprised me before in the past, so who knows. haha

ADD: Can we get another option on that Poll? Our pick, and Miami's. I'm in favour of moving Miami's in a package.

Post Thanks / Like

As you requested, the poll has been modified.

Post Thanks / Like

Much appreciated, sir.
    Happy Monday, e'rbody!

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I hope we keep both pick. I'd only trade the Heat pick to move up in the draft.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be all for moving the picks for young players - This draft class lacks any star power up front or any real explosive players. However, I wouldn't move those picks until after the combines. You can only have so many young players.

Post Thanks / Like

My only thing with moving the picks is that if the report is true, then there are a bunch of teams looking to move draft picks because the draft is perceived as weak. If the potential supply is high and the product is advertised as "weak" then what's the market worth? Beyond that, if we look at history, Colangelo has a far superior track record when using draft picks as opposed to trading them away.

Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not like the Raps don't have spots they need to fill at almost every position.

If anything, I see this as an opportunity to grab more picks for pennies on the dollar. While there may not be "franchise' guys in the draft (though that still remains to be seen), there are a number of players who no doubt will be solid additions to a young core.

If it takes a franchise player to win it all, then patience, not hastiness, is the key. Better to build a team who's only real lack is that one major cog, than it is to go all out for that cog, only to be left with garbage around him...

Post Thanks / Like

Beyond that, if we look at history, Colangelo has a far superior track record when using draft picks as opposed to trading them away.
    Hah, Great point.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, is it ever too bad that Memphis' pick this year is owned by the Timberwolves. The following trade for Memphis' pick would be awesome:

To Memphis:
    Barbosa

To Boston:
    Mayo

To TO;
    Avery Bradley
    Marquis Daniels (expiring)
    Thabeet (expiring next year)
    Memphis' pick
    Boston's pick.
    Last edited by jeff_hostetler; Mon Feb 14th, 2011 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Added Bostons Pick. Because Boston would do it.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

We can always draft players, and if they do not work out trade them at a later date. There are still some good seniors in the draft, such as Nolan Smith, Jimmer Fredette, and Kyle Singler who all could be good role players on a team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
    Man, is it ever too bad that Memphis' pick this year is owned by the Timberwolves. The following trade for Memphis' pick would be awesome:

To Memphis:
    Barbosa

To Boston:
    Mayo

To TO;
    Avery Bradley
    Marquis Daniels (expiring)
    Thabeet (expiring next year)
    Memphis' pick
    Boston's pick.
    Boston would do it. Memphis wouldn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we could get Memphis' pick next year instead?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
    Maybe we could get Memphis' pick next year instead?
    Nope team cannot go two years without a 1st round pick. Would have to be 2013.

I was saying in another thread that it would be nice to pick up another mid draft pick. For me though ideal would be the trade mentioned (in the trade forums) for biedrins and curry (shipping out caldy and bargs) and then drafting say a Terrence jones. We would have a biedrins, Davis, (Terrence Jones), Derozan, Curry lineup with Amir, Bayless bench with energy Dorsey and Wright for situational. Continue to develop and build role players and I would be happy watching that team.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

A good number of analysts and scouts are saying that this is a poor draft to get a superstar player in...but the draft is not useless because of that. There are still some great players available, just no transcendent player types apparently. This still means that we can fill some areas of weakness. If there are so many teams that are looking to deal some high picks, what would it take to acquire them? I would trade anyone but DeMar, Ed, and Amir...and possibly Bayless, I'm just not completely sold on him.

I would absolutely love the Raptors to acquire more picks for both 2011 and 2012.

If the problem ever becomes that we have too much youth and that leads to immaturity, then we can easily turn some young talent into a good veteran to add some stability.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Why would BC want to trade our draft picks even if the draft is horrible? We are not going to get free agents here and BC seems to have lost his mo-jo making big trades. If he trades out of the draft, I think it will really show that BC has to go and if BC is resigned by MLSE after such huge draft day gaffe, I cease watching this team .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Shantz wrote: View Post
    If the problem ever becomes that we have too much youth and that leads to immaturity, then we can easily turn some young talent into a good veteran to add some stability.
    But which is more valuable, and which could get us more for our 'dollar'; a draft pick with no face, no salary, no down side OR a player with a contract, flaws and a desperate team trying to move them. I think a pick is more valuable as a pick, and not as a player. But thats just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote smushmush wrote: View Post
    Why would BC want to trade our draft picks even if the draft is horrible? We are not going to get free agents here and BC seems to have lost his mo-jo making big trades. If he trades out of the draft, I think it will really show that BC has to go and if BC is resigned by MLSE after such huge draft day gaffe, I cease watching this team .
    Really though? I'd say picking up Bayless showed he's got some 'mojo' left; but honestly if he can turn a late 1st round pick into a solid, tough nosed Vet (Miami's pick and Alabi for Joel Anthony? Or something along those lines.) I'd be more than fine with that. As I just said, I think we'd have a better chance of getting something worthwhile if we move the pick as opposed to an underachieving rookie.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote cbowlby wrote: View Post
    We can always draft players, and if they do not work out trade them at a later date. There are still some good seniors in the draft, such as Nolan Smith, Jimmer Fredette, and Kyle Singler who all could be good role players on a team.
    Plus one and guys like Jordan Hamilton and Tyler Honeycutt are SFs we could draft outside the lottery(the position on our team that really needs help is the SF spot imo) and Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler(could be a backup SF) can be gotten in the late 20's(because they are seniors and teams don't draft seniors high in the draft as they believe their skills are already set). Trading our pick and Miami's pick together could get us 3 picks outside the lottery that can get us these solid role players or we can keep our pick and trade Miami's picks with picks gotten from Barbosa, Reggie Evans and Jose trades to playoff contenders for draft picks(package that pick + Miami's pick to get two picks in the 20's to get Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler, trade for Jonny Flynn and evaluating if he fits here, if he does, we also ship Bayless out as he does not have the "it" factor as a PG imo, both actions set the PG spots and wings problems once and for all).

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Maleko wrote: View Post
    Nope team cannot go two years without a 1st round pick. Would have to be 2013.

I was saying in another thread that it would be nice to pick up another mid draft pick. For me though ideal would be the trade mentioned (in the trade forums) for biedrins and curry (shipping out caldy and bargs) and then drafting say a Terrence jones. We would have a biedrins, Davis, (Terrence Jones), Derozan, Curry lineup with Amir, Bayless bench with energy Dorsey and Wright for situational. Continue to develop and build role players and I would be happy watching that team.
    Ted Stepien rules guys - no team can trade 2 consecutive first round picks(what happened was that Ted Stepien was a horrible GM of the Cavaliers(the Cavaliers were horrible then that was the first time they were called the cadavers lmao) in the 1970s as he sold first round picks for quick fixes and veterans(unfortunately one of those draft picks was a #1 pick that turned out to be James Worthy - multiple championship winner with the Lakers lol)).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information