Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trade Deadline Rumors/News: Barbosa And Evans On The Block? (see post #257)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Johnson is a good athlete who could become a good defender. Hes strong, athletic and tough. The fact that he's got so little playing time makes it hard for anyone to evaluate his NBA ability. This is a much better gamble then a late first rounder who could turn out to not even play in the NBA. Most late first rounders don't play in the NBA.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
      Looking at the way San Antonio drafted players, I beg to differ.
      So you think that the Spurs go into drafts knowing they'll draft an impact player in the low 20s? How's that working for the Lakers? What about Dallas? Orlando?

Comment

• Ummm, Julian Wright 2.0? Please tell me I'm wrong and that there's no failed NCAA dunk video out there on youtube.
        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Let's see what the guy can do with some real playing time before some of you start writing him off.

Comment

• Two thoughts:

1. Whether the Raps would get a better player at the 29th pick....thats debatable. Johnson was the 16th pick so I guess not. Then again he's nothing special, and with a fresh pick you get a fresh chance to hit a jackpot (eg. ginobilli, arenas, etc).

2. Is he a noticably better player or prospect than Julian Wright? I say NO. As I posted on the main page, Julian Wright is younger, longer, and fits better on the court as a passer among shooters. Wright also has one aspect that he needs to try to improve (shooting) whereas Johnson seems to have a lot of flaws

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
              Ummm, Julian Wright 2.0? Please tell me I'm wrong and that there's no failed NCAA dunk video out there on youtube.
              I remember him being compared to Danny Granger coming out of Wake Forest at one point. Can't say Julian Wright ever had that high of a ceiling. He's got MUCH better handles than Wright, and Weems, Very solid defender, big body. We don't need another UBER athlete. We've got enough of them. We need someone that will just hustle and do his job and I think JJ is just the guy.

Joakim Noah is actually really high on this guy, and even calls him a little brother, so lets hope he's taken some of that fire and energy North of the border with him.

Comment

• karim_nasir wrote: View Post
                and you know this how ?

have you heard of:

kevin martin
                david lee
                tony parker
                manu ginobli

all drafted in the late 20's or in the second round
                Fair enough, but two of those picks were over 10 years ago - international scouting has come a long way since then.
                Here are a few you didn't cherry pick. Couple are solid (Gibson and Splitter). The Gangsta? Not so much. Dalembert (2001) and Josh Howard (2003) were also good late first round picks. Also note this is a weak draft.

Primoz Brezec, Pete Chilcutt. Jordan Farmar, Mark Madsen, Travis Knight, ***Taj Gibson, Dan Dickau, Vladimir Stepania, Darrell Arthur, Toney Douglas, Byron Houston, Sergio Rodriguez, David Harrison, Cory Alexander, Vonteego Cummings, Ian Mahinmi, Brooks Thompson, Mario Bennett, Mamadou N'diaye, Brian Evans, Charles Smith, ***Tiago Splitter, D.J. White, Sam Jacobson, Mark Randall, Wayne Simien, Donte Greene, Lance Blanks, Wayne Ellington, DeMarre Carroll, Quincy Pondexter, Sherell Ford, Alando Tucker, Leon Smith, Erick Barkley, Greivis Vasquez, Geert Hammink, Malcolm Mackey, Ndudi Ebi, J.R. Giddens, Lazar Hayward, Christian Eyenga, Dave Johnson, Jordan Crawford, Chris Jefferies, Priest Lauderdale, Keith Booth, Corey Benjamin, Maurice Ager, Mardy Collins, Joel Freeland, Petteri Koponen, Daniel Orton
                http://twitter.com/Liston

Comment

• Ruuuuu wrote: View Post
                  Two thoughts:

1. Whether the Raps would get a better player at the 29th pick....thats debatable. Johnson was the 16th pick so I guess not. Then again he's nothing special, and with a fresh pick you get a fresh chance to hit a jackpot (eg. ginobilli, arenas, etc).

2. Is he a noticably better player or prospect than Julian Wright? I say NO. As I posted on the main page, Julian Wright is younger, longer, and fits better on the court as a passer among shooters. Wright also has one aspect that he needs to try to improve (shooting) whereas Johnson seems to have a lot of flaws
                  1. A pick that low may not be valuable but maybe you can package that pick for something more substantial down the line for something you really like. Choosing between JJ and a draft pick at this point yields that same risk (a higher draft pick that failed to materalized in the NBA thus far vs a lower draft pick who is yet to play a game in the NBA).

2. JJ is only 3 months older then JW. They are both raw and have not really improved much and because JJ has been in the league less time then JW and shown less as a result (due to lack of playing time), he is a better prospect then Wright.

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                    I hight doubt JJ is going to take majority of Weems min.
                    Where in my post did I suggest that JJ would get the majority of Weems' minutes? All I was implying was that, with a new SF coming in, Weems' mins would prob go down. Did you just reply so you could get the "last word" in?
                    Look, I don't want/need to get into a back and forth on this, we have differing opinions of Weems, which I stated in my OP on the subject. We're allowed to have differing opinions on players. I think he's junk, and the only apealing aspect of his game (to me) is his low salary.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      I don't think people are undervaluing him. I'd completely agree he's better than Bargani, DeRozan and nearly anyone else. It's just that's not saying a whole lot, is it? I'd also do that trade in second.
                      I'm sorry but, if they lose again to the magnitude of this season they're not going to get any more respect than they have right now. I want them to stockpile talent right now in any shape or form. They can sort it out later when they have enough of it that putting it all together into one working machine means they're able to make the playoffs and compete without limiting their long term growth.

Comment

• JAMES JOHNSON
                        NBA Comparison: Danny Granger/Ryan Gomes

Strengths: Extremely skilled and versatile forward … Great physical package, combining size, strength, athleticism and an impressive 7’1 wingspan … His frame is very nicely developed, with strong shoulders and a wide base …He has a very refined scoring touch and knows how to put the ball in the basket … Proved that he is very comfortable handling the ball in all situations, including in transition while going full speed and still keeping his head up, looking to make plays … Has shown that he excels in a point forward role, where he can use his playmaking ability to create for teammates and himself … He has advanced moves off the dribble; hesitation, crossover, spins, in& outs as well as nice ability to make a second counter move … Has a lot of confidence in his outside shot, and proved that he has range beyond the college 3 … … Operates nicely out of the triple threat, where he utilizes a good shot fake as well as long jabs that get the defender off balance … His game is extremely potent out of the mid to high post where he can face up and attack or back people down … He is very comfortable going to and finishing with both hands … Using his size and length while attacking, he is able to protect the ball and finish with extreme efficiency … He’s good at keeping his balance while attacking contact, which gives him a good chance to convert in traffic and against help defense … Has become very confident operating on the block with his back to the basket … His wide base allows him to get good position, where he can seal and receive the ball very deep … He has nice patience inside, a variety of moves and extremely good footwork which makes him a difficult match up … Can effectively turn to both shoulders … Uses a nice spin move, where he covers a lot of ground but can still keep his balance … Is very aggressive going to the glass, and likes crashing the O glass … Has improved his stats across the board in his sophomore season …

Weaknesses: Has battled inconsistency throughout his career … Does not show up to play every night and has stretches where he disappears completely, not only as a scorer but in other facets as well …. He is 2 years older than his class, taking off some potential for growth … Is a bit heavy legged which limits his 1st step … His shooting numbers have improved but he is still a very streaky and somewhat inconsistent shooter from the outside … He takes a lot of bad shots early in the shot clock and out of the offense … Settles from the outside, and does not always get to the basket … Goes for the homerun play and forces the action too often, especially in transition when he attacks even without numbers …. Needs to learn to control the tempo better, and mix the pace up … Defensively, he doesn’t move well laterally and is foul prone, but with his length and physical package he should be able to overcome … Continues to shoot a mediocre percentage from the line (69%) …
                        Source: NBADraft.net

This is the sort of feal where I think you need to step back and give it some time before you can decide if it is good or not. I honestly have not seen the guy play enough to comment more than he was drafted 16th overall and the Heat pick was probably going to be 28-30th overall in a weak draft.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                          This also bumps the number of johnsons we have to 3. shrewd trade, all around.
                          Yeah, but we probably could have drafted Jajuan Johnson with that draft pick, so it's really a Johnson-neutral trade.

Comment

• couldn't hurt to see what he's got,doesn't really hurt us in the long run, but like the deal with bayless probably wont make us better, rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic to be honest. If he gets extended what colangelo does this off-season is much more important that this small move.

Comment

• If Johnson ends up being good enough to be even an effective low minute role player on this team then the trade was worth it.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                                Hundreds, huh? The Miami pick will be low 20s. Like 25-30. When you think about the amount of guys who were drafted 25 and lower, the percentage of guys of who have actually reached all-star status is quite low.
                                agree, but to say that 100% james johnson is better than anything that we would have drafted with that pick, is not entirely true...

none of us know

Comment

Working...
                                X