James Johnson Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    An inconsistent stud would still be of much more value in my opinion than a late pick in a weak draft.

Weems is still in the same boat as last year in terms of still better that the majority of players picked late draft.

I don't feel the need to wait to support a hard working, talented young player who looks like he's playing with a chip on his shoulder.

JaMario Moon is better than most players taken later in the draft. This here is the stumbling point for the people jumping all over Colangelo about trading the pick. Most players taken that late turn out to be nothing. Most of them don't even get to play more than a handful of games in the NBA. The odds of hitting a homer are very low.
    The odds are not low. Miami's draft position sits at #27. Since 1990, 144 players been drafted at 27th or lower, who have played > 246 games in the NBA (i.e. at least 3 full seasons). They are sorted by win shares, see URL below.

http://bkref.com/tiny/y0zXc

It you make the cutoff at 'useful bench players or better', then somebody like Brian Scalabrine is the cutoff point. That reduces the number of NBA quality players to 123.

Now add 'undrafted players' to the pool of guys who should have been scouted better. I compiled my own list of 46 guys at the end of the post. Feel free to add.

So that makes 123 + 46 = 169 NBA quality players available at 27th draft position or lower. So, over the last 20 years there have been on average (169/20 = 8.45) 8 to 9 players NBA players available to be drafted at 27th or lower.

How do like them apples, Joey?

List of un-drafted NBA players
    =======================
    Ben Wallace
    Fabricio Oberto
    Chuck Hayes
    Reggie Evans
    Carlos Arroyo
    Jorge Garbajosa
    Mikki Moore
    Adrian Griffin
    Louis Amundson
    Randolph Morris
    Slava Medvedenko
    Jamario Moon
    Janero Pargo
    Kelenna Azibuke
    Kevin Ollie
    Malik Allen
    Matt Carroll
    Maurice Evans
    Michael Curry
    Brad Miller
    Bo Outlaw
    Darrell Armstrong
    Jose Calderon
    Udonis Haslem
    Lorenzo Williams
    Marquis Daniels
    Damon Jones
    Mike James
    Andres Nocioni
    Chris Childs
    Erick Strickland
    David Wesley
    Earl Boykins
    Robert Pack
    Charlie Bell
    Damien Wilkins
    Smush Parker
    Ira Newble
    Chucky Atkins
    Bruce Bowen
    Raja Bell
    Matt Maloney
    Larry Stewart
    Tyrone Nesby
    Quinton Ross
    Troy Hudson
    Last edited by golden; Thu Mar 3, 2011, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• pesterm1 wrote: View Post
      if were using that picture as a guide then its pretty fair to say JJ is about 6'8-6'9, DD is 6'6-6'7, sonny is 6'5'-6'6, johnson is most likely standing straighter because he is beside ajinca so id say amir is abuot 6'9-6'10, wright is about 6'6-6'7. ajinca is definetly 7'2 +.
      It really doesnt matter to me, im 5'10 3/4 but i always say im 5'11. plus these guys advantage are their length. they may not look as tall as another player but i bet he can get higher then their oppenent.
      Good point on length.

Comment

• So what nickname would you give James Johnson?!

Yes I know, nicknames are lame but so are the Raptors team this season, so lets think of some clever names to pass the time.

Comment

• The black bruce lee

Comment

• triple J or JJJ (JJ junior)

Comment

• Double J or JJ. He hasn't earned the right to be penned as a force of nature, a high budget movie or some form of transportation yet.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                The odds are not low. Miami's draft position sits at #27. Since 1990, 144 players been drafted at 27th or lower, who have played > 246 games in the NBA (i.e. at least 3 full seasons). They are sorted by win shares, see URL below.

http://bkref.com/tiny/y0zXc

It you make the cutoff at 'useful bench players or better', then somebody like Brian Scalabrine is the cutoff point. That reduces the number of NBA quality players to 123.

Now add 'undrafted players' to the pool of guys who should have been scouted better. I compiled my own list of 46 guys at the end of the post. Feel free to add.

So that makes 123 + 46 = 169 NBA quality players available at 27th draft position or lower. So, over the last 20 years there have been on average (169/20 = 8.45) 8 to 9 players NBA players available to be drafted at 27th or lower.

How do like them apples, Joey?

List of un-drafted NBA players
                =======================
                Ben Wallace
                Fabricio Oberto
                Chuck Hayes
                Reggie Evans
                Carlos Arroyo
                Jorge Garbajosa
                Mikki Moore
                Adrian Griffin
                Louis Amundson
                Randolph Morris
                Slava Medvedenko
                Jamario Moon
                Janero Pargo
                Kelenna Azibuke
                Kevin Ollie
                Malik Allen
                Matt Carroll
                Maurice Evans
                Michael Curry
                Brad Miller
                Bo Outlaw
                Darrell Armstrong
                Jose Calderon
                Udonis Haslem
                Lorenzo Williams
                Marquis Daniels
                Damon Jones
                Mike James
                Andres Nocioni
                Chris Childs
                Erick Strickland
                David Wesley
                Earl Boykins
                Robert Pack
                Charlie Bell
                Damien Wilkins
                Smush Parker
                Ira Newble
                Chucky Atkins
                Bruce Bowen
                Raja Bell
                Matt Maloney
                Larry Stewart
                Tyrone Nesby
                Quinton Ross
                Troy Hudson
                Looking at the flip side of the argument you have 600 (just rounding due to expansion and a couple of extra picks in the first round, so we'll say on average 30 players per season) players over those 20 years who were drafted total.

I'm going to ignore the undrafted, and I do not think that is fair to include them, because the number of undrafted is almost limitless and distorts reality, in my opinion. That is the reality of hitting the jackpot or, if the lottery analogy isn't very good, you could look at it as insider trading as someone uses knowledge that others do not have to their advantage (probably not a good analogy there either because insider trading is actually illegal {although the US authorities have stopped enforcing it, but that is another blog} and good scouting is not).

So keeping with just drafted players, the odds of the pick playing 3 NBA seasons is 144/600 which is 24%.

Given there is a 76% chance of not playing 3 NBA seasons, James Johnson had shown potential when given limited opportunities in CHI, he worked his @ss off to get in basketball shape between season 1 and 2, he is actually playing well, and provided a need the Raptors desparately had, eventhough I initially was weary of giving up the 1st rounder, I think BC did a good job and showed why many players and fans should know their role with their arm-chair transactions (speaking generalities, no slight intended golden).

Of the list of 46 undrafted over 20 years, TOR had 3 of which BC signed 2 and Raja Bell made his name in PHX under BC and Calderon remains here because of BC. I guess one could argue BC has an eye for obscure talent as well if one considers the number of GM's in the league over 20 years and BC is directly or indirectly responsible for around 7-9% (depends if you count Calderon) of the undrafted players over 20 years making a name for themselves on his watch.

Comment

• I'm not sure why undrafted players apply. Should I give you the names of every college senior, junior, etc. along with every international player who was not drafted and never played in the league? That would throw off your calculation big time but if we're going to go down this thought line it is required. End of the day the probability is very low for hitting the jackpot in the back end of the draft and digging back further and pulling additional tricks out of your hat doesn't change that.

Comment

• Check out what our "6-9" player, James Johnson, can do wit' his frame...lol. Keep in mound, that was 30 pounds heavier, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qTVbrGZXVY
                    The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                    Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                    http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

• Size doesn't matter, it's how you use it. Oh wait, wrong thread.
                      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• GameBreaker wrote: View Post
                        Check out what our "6-9" player, James Johnson, can do wit' his frame...lol. Keep in mound, that was 30 pounds heavier, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qTVbrGZXVY
                        He really has got himself in shape. He is a big boy there!

Comment

• That guy from Wyoming

Comment

• I like Jimmy John. I just like to say it. Seriously, say it to yourself over and over. Now think about the SuperBowl commercial where dude licks the Doritos cheese off the fingers of the other dude. Now say over and over Jimmy John, again, but say it faster.

Yeah.... Jimmy John.

Comment

• The stutterer?

"Hi my name is j-johnson"

Then he can devolop an awesome stutter step :P

Comment

• Jimmy J...maybe he'll get the hint.

Comment

Working...
                                X