Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 710

Thread: James Johnson Discussion

  1. #241
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Size doesn't matter, it's how you use it. Oh wait, wrong thread.
    It's not the size of the boat, it's the motion in the ocean.

    Here's a new one for ya :P

  2. #242
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    880
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    How do I like them apples? You're trying to tell me that Smush Parker and Tyrone Nesby and Quinton Ross are good NBA players. That's not even worth my time to tell you how ridiculous that is. This whole debate started over whether or not JJ will be better than what can be netted at 28ish. And you sorta helped, because I'd MUCH rather have JJ than most of the guys on that list.

    I applaud the effort but I still disagree with your argument. Which is fine. I'm allowed.
    Nice grown up response, there, pot. So you completely ignored the other 167 players (actually closer to 190 if you add the last 3 seasons) and choose to focus on Smush Parker, Tyrone Nesby and Quinton Ross? Did I really need to cut and paste the bigger list from the basketball-reference, or did you simply choose not to read it?

    Cut my list in half and you are still off by an order of magnitude. You just got owned big time, Joey. Your so-called statistical proof just got blown out of the water. Just man up and take it.

  3. #243
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,223
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Cut my list in half and you are still off by an order of magnitude. You just got owned big time, Joey. Your so-called statistical proof just got blown out of the water. Just man up and take it.
    Based on your supplied information, there is a 76% chance the pick never makes it to 3 NBA seasons. Also of the list that did make it to 3 NBA seasons, many have played at the end of the bench or put up a good season or two and disappeared.

    The simple math is if you want to include undrafted players then, yes, you are going to have more NBA players available. However, the odds or percentages of success decrease.

    169/600 = 28%

    169/60,0000 = 0.0028%

  4. #244
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sensai

  5. #245
    Raptors Republic Starter Katman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    236
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Based on logic alone, you shouldn't include undrafted plrayers. The orginal premis was whether you could get a better player than JJ with the Miami pick. You can't use undrafted players in your argument precisely because they were undrafted...you didn't need a pick to get them. You are not really comparing apples to apples.

    The real question is are there any pearls in THIS year's draft, apparently Colangelo and his scouting department doesn't think so. Or maybe Colangelo plans to buy a pick off someone on draft day, which would make all this arguing pointless.

  6. #246
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,542
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ("I just got owned"?, "How do I like them Apples"? , "Man up"??
    How the [censored] can I have a real conversation with this person?!?)

    At this point Golden, it's not really whether I specifically am wrong on the matter. I disagree with the argument. And alot of others here do as well.You are arguing that getting a guy like Smush Parker is a good thing. Or any other scrub thats managed to play 3 measily seasons in the league. I am arguing that a player of James Johnsons caliber will be playing in the league for 10 years+. That is the difference.

    So you keep thinking that Tyrone Nesby is going to be our starting SF. And how bout Kevin Ollie to the rescue at PG??
    And I will continue to think otherwise.
    Done with this.
    Last edited by Joey; Fri Mar 4th, 2011 at 09:21 AM.

  7. #247
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    tyrone nesby threw me for a loop... had to google him to find his highly inconsequential NBA career.

    i google alot of things..

    for instance... joey hesketh is either an old school baseball player, or a gay hooker from Tacoma, WA.

    i prefer to believe the name came from the second one.

  8. #248
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,542
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    hahaha Joe Hesketh was a pitcher for the Red Sox and the Expos. As well as a gay hooker from Tacoma. They are one and the same.

  9. #249
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,542
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Katman wrote: View Post
    Based on logic alone, you shouldn't include undrafted plrayers. The orginal premis was whether you could get a better player than JJ with the Miami pick. You can't use undrafted players in your argument precisely because they were undrafted...you didn't need a pick to get them. You are not really comparing apples to apples.
    I already tried to argue this. Logically, you'd think this is the case. But Golden disagrees apparently.

  10. #250
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    there is no logical argument against stupid.

  11. #251
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,542
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    there is no logical argument against stupid.
    Boom.

  12. #252
    Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Beast is the best one in my opinion.

  13. #253
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    400
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    What, no "Karate Kid"?
    MMA is his thing and I believe he's undefeated with a very impressive record. Very different than a karate match.

    "Prince James"

  14. #254
    Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    890
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    His mixed-martial arts background, is karate. Some fighters start with Ji-Jitsu or more commonly wrestling, JJ was a national champion in karate.

    So my vote is for the 'karate kid'.
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

  15. #255
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,542
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How about we just call him 'James'... ? Too boring? Jim maybe?

  16. #256
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i got my childhood nickname tattooed on my shoulder.... and you know what... after years of having it, and growing up, maturing, and becoming an adult...

    STUPID NICKNAMES ARE EMBARASSING

    If i came into work every day and people were like "Hey what's up, Mad Dog McCallister!" (not my nickname, just the first thing that popped in my head).. i would HATE my life.

  17. #257
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,542
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    i got my childhood nickname tattooed on my shoulder.... and you know what... after years of having it, and growing up, maturing, and becoming an adult...

    STUPID NICKNAMES ARE EMBARASSING

    If i came into work every day and people were like "Hey what's up, Mad Dog McCallister!" (not my nickname, just the first thing that popped in my head).. i would HATE my life.
    Hahaha Nicknames just remind me of the Seinfeld episode where George wants to be called T-Bone, but instead gets called Cocoa.
    I guarentee you James Johnson isn't yearning for a nickname like 'Boobie' Gibson, or 'Poo' Jeter.

  18. #258
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    400
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    His mixed-martial arts background, is karate. Some fighters start with Ji-Jitsu or more commonly wrestling, JJ was a national champion in karate.

    So my vote is for the 'karate kid'.
    Just read about his karate record and his parents kick boxing background. Awesome.
    Still karate kid reminds me of the little kid in the movies.

  19. #259
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Hahaha Nicknames just remind me of the Seinfeld episode where George wants to be called T-Bone, but instead gets called Cocoa.
    I guarentee you James Johnson isn't yearning for a nickname like 'Boobie' Gibson, or 'Poo' Jeter.
    a friend of mine and me were once introduced to some dude who was a wannabe rapper... can't remember the name, but it was a mythical god.. so lets go with "Poseidon"... he introduced himself as "Poseidon"... i never saw my friend lose all the color in his face, visibly lose all of his energy, and get the "oh my god, i'm dealing with a simpleton" expression on his face all at once.. and then ask "no, what does your mother call you"

  20. #260
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    880
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Katman wrote: View Post
    Based on logic alone, you shouldn't include undrafted plrayers. The orginal premis was whether you could get a better player than JJ with the Miami pick. You can't use undrafted players in your argument precisely because they were undrafted...you didn't need a pick to get them. You are not really comparing apples to apples.

    The real question is are there any pearls in THIS year's draft, apparently Colangelo and his scouting department doesn't think so. Or maybe Colangelo plans to buy a pick off someone on draft day, which would make all this arguing pointless.
    Your logic assumes in advance that the draft goes exactly as Draft Express or some rankings predict. Guys who should have been drafted always fall (e.g. Ed Davis, DuJuan Blair, Manu,...) and some guys fall right out of the draft. But they were available and should have been drafted. That's the original argument, that a guy of JJ's quality would not even be available. Undrafted is simply a way to quantify those guys. Undrafted = available.

Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •