James Johnson Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• webcrawler89 wrote: View Post
    LOL say word, Anthony Randolph is ONLY 21? haha, damn, I swear, he looked really old to me. He would've been a good pick up, but, at nearly 7 ft he's kind of big to play a small forward. I think with proper training JJ can evolve into exactly what we need him to be, which is a glue guy. I just hope we can teach him to make the corner three like Bruce Bowen.
    Ya hopefully, JJ really needs to work on his shooting.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
      I thought New York stole Anthony Randolph away from the Warriors, where I blamed his lack of play on Don Nelson's insanity. After another half season of him not playing, I really think it's him. Anthony Randolph is the perfect example of the high skilled player who never seems to "get it" and is constantly gambled on by GMs looking for a gamble. Benoit Benjamin played 14 seasons in the NBA, for 9 teams and only 2 of those teams made the playoffs. Bad teams usually gamble on these types of players because you have to be desperate to take on guys like this. Minnesota already has Randolph, Beasley and Milicic. That's why they're my favourite to eventually trade for Bargnani. Bargnani has a better attitude than a lot of those guys, but he probably will never "get it".
      I still give him the benefit of the doubt. Both nelson and d'antoni are insane, and now rambis, who is slowly going to the insane path as well. he's put some good numbers with the wolves, and doing it with not a whole lot of minutes either. but you maybe right though.....

that would be an awesome team with bargnani!!! on paper!!!! hahaha

Comment

I thought New York stole Anthony Randolph away from the Warriors, where I blamed his lack of play on Don Nelson's insanity. After another half season of him not playing, I really think it's him. Anthony Randolph is the perfect example of the high skilled player who never seems to "get it" and is constantly gambled on by GMs looking for a gamble. Benoit Benjamin played 14 seasons in the NBA, for 9 teams and only 2 of those teams made the playoffs. Bad teams usually gamble on these types of players because you have to be desperate to take on guys like this. Minnesota already has Randolph, Beasley and Milicic. That's why they're my favourite to eventually trade for Bargnani. Bargnani has a better attitude than a lot of those guys, but he probably will never "get it".
        Would you prefer JJ over Randolph?

As i mentioned, since we can possibly draft a good SF this year, and lets just agree that Bargs is pretty much not going anywhere, would it have made more sense for the Raps, long term, to have gotten Randolph who can play the 4 and 5 to play alongside Bargnani? 2 years younger than JJ and pretty much the same salary structure?

If it doesnt work they can easily trade or waive him, same with JJ.
        Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Mon Mar 7, 2011, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
          Would you prefer JJ over Randolph?

As i mentioned, since we can possibly draft a good SF this year, and lets just agree that Bargs is pretty much not going anywhere, would it have made more sense for the Raps, long term, to have gotten Randolph who can play the 4 and 5 to play alongside Bargnani? 2 years younger than JJ and pretty much the same salary structure?

If it doesnt work they can easily trade or waive him, same with JJ.
          Johnson seems to have a higher basketball IQ than Randolph. From what I gather, one of Randolph's problem is that, while he has the physical skills, he just doesn't understand the game, very well. In the end, though, I don't know if either one is really going to be good enough that they're going to make anyone regret any decisions.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
            He is a 4, I think we are pretty set there with Amir and Davis, better to roll the dice on James.
            exactly, randolph is a 4 who right now isn't much better tha who we have at the 4 and we're going to end up moving amir as soon as somebody realizes that davis is the best option going forward, which may be already.

it is a bit of a retorical question, that you asked.

plus, there were swirls that if demar wasn't here, johnson would have already been here.
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

this is a tough issue. if it was jerry sloan or phil jackson then id definitely side with them but Mike D'Antoni, i really dont have much respect for him, but thats just me.

I dont have the articles to back this up, but i know D'Antoni has had issues with pretty much everybody, from players, to management to personnel.

i also think it was a tough situation for Randolph, if you know youre one of the highly touted up and comers in the league, and the coach gives you 5 mins a game then i would probably pout too. i mean common, its not the like the knicks are loaded with talent. he should at least be backing up amare or playing over turiaf.
              Actually it is precisely the reason that I think there is something wrong (basket ball wise) with AR. If he cant play for 2 crazee offensive coaches like Dantoni & Nelson who both give the greenlight to shoot from 25 ft with 23 secs rem. on the clock ...it makes me ponder. I had also heard that with Dantoni he had recurring positional brain farts on offense so he probably is a statue in the half court sets. He is also "blessed or cursed" with having such great physical tools to athletically play the 3, 4 & 5...so it's problematic in an odd way when you have other players on a team established at one of those positions. He of course will probably not play the 4 in Minn. with Love there and I dont know what his best position is (he doesnt have the bulk for the 5). And finally I dont know if Miami's 1st would have been enough since it was all a part of the Carmelo trans.

Notice I did not bring up "defense" once! He does have shot blocking ability but so does JJ to a degree. Now if JJ can improve his shot like DD did then we may have something in him.

Comment

• not even a question...anthony randolph by far...not saying that cuzz he's one of my top 5 fav players
                "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

He can play the 4 and 5
                  He is a headcase. Two open court "west coast" offensive minded coaches benched him because he doesn't put in the effort. I'd understand if he rode the pine with Larry Brown or Jeff Van Gundy but Nellie and D'Antoni? You must be a wack job not to get along with those coaches. I like the Johnson trade. He seems to have the make up of being a "glue" guy. In a way I'm happy we didn't bite on Beasley. He would just clash with everyone. I'm not being unfair but I think it won't work out.
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Seriously dude enough with your Bargnani love affair. You alwayse need to bring his name up even in a totally unrelated post. Listening to your Bargnani bashing is funny only because there is a perfect negative corelation the more you keep insulting him the better he plays. I just don't understand some of your ridicioulous claims about his game heres a few off the top of my head: worst rebounding center of all time, biggest problem onour team, most likely to be traded to minnesota lool.. everytime its something new. It just amazes me because we all watch the same games yet your analysis about his game is so delusional its almost laughable.

Comment

• DunkinDerozan wrote: View Post
                      Seriously dude enough with your Bargnani love affair. You alwayse need to bring his name up even in a totally unrelated post. Listening to your Bargnani bashing is funny only because there is a perfect negative corelation the more you keep insulting him the better he plays. I just don't understand some of your ridicioulous claims about his game heres a few off the top of my head: worst rebounding center of all time, biggest problem onour team, most likely to be traded to minnesota lool.. everytime its something new. It just amazes me because we all watch the same games yet your analysis about his game is so delusional its almost laughable.
                      Dude, the "Everything Bargnani" has 93,719 views and 2,385 posts. I don't think its a big lovefest the way you make it sound it to be. Besides, Tim W., has equal rights to criticize Bargs just as much as you love his game.
                      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                        Actually it is precisely the reason that I think there is something wrong (basket ball wise) with AR. If he cant play for 2 crazee offensive coaches like Dantoni & Nelson who both give the greenlight to shoot from 25 ft with 23 secs rem. on the clock ...it makes me ponder. I had also heard that with Dantoni he had recurring positional brain farts on offense so he probably is a statue in the half court sets.
                        I think you hit the nail on the head here but I'd argue that playing in the up-tempo systems has hurt his game and basically halted his development. In small-ball, early shot clock offenses you either a) create for someone else or b) take the shot if you're open. Randolph doesn't shoot consistently well yet and he's much better at finishing than he is at creating or recognizing a good matchup. He'd be great playing in that kind of offense once his skill set is fully developed but for now it's just not a good fit, and both D'Antoni and Nelson sit players that don't adapt to their system.

I've always thought that he simply needs to find a role that fits him with a good coaching fit in order to make some use of his physical abilities. Even if he never fully gets it, having a freakish athlete that rebounds, blocks shots, finishes high above the rim and has good potential for a consistent jumper is always great as your 3rd, 4th or 5th best player, at any position. If he adds an ability to learn to play help D (which neither Nelson or D'Antoni has likely spent much time on) or be a consistent offensive match-up problem then that's a very useful player.

So does he fit with the Raps? From a coaching standpoint, no. Development maybe, but I don't see Triano as a great coach for a personality like Randolph's. I also don't see any vets besides the probably-gone Evans that would be a steadying force for him. Though if you could hire Oak to toughen him up, then do it. Get him to work with Bargs too.

On the floor I could see it working, but only once DeRozan has improved his consistency from long range. I've always seen Randolph as a 3, that's where I'd want him to play as a Raptor. If you've got DeRozan, Bargs and Calderon/point-guard-of-the-future shooting the 3 and one of Amir or Ed working near the basket, there's a lot of room to work the midrange game, crash the boards, and post up shorter players. And he brings what the raps need from a 3 on the defensive end so long as he can learn to exert the required effort and move his feet. That's part of why I don't think Triano is the right coach for him. He'd also be great for guarding stretch 4s.

I was disappointed the Raps didn't pick him up, but not surprised and not sure it would have worked out well if they had. I like what Johnson gives them until they can find a better long-term solution.

Comment

I rarely bring up Bargnani's name in unrelated posts. There are A LOT more people that do that. And why on earth do you think I insult him? I don't recall ever insulting him? I've, in fact, defended him against those I felt unfairly insulted him (like when he was called a cancer). I've never said anything personal about Bargnani. Ever. What I have done plenty of is criticize him and his game. There's a big difference, and one you apparently don't understand.

As for my claims, maybe you could point to where I said he was the worst rebounding 7 footer of all time? I remember someone saying that, but it wasn't me. He wasn't the worst rebounding 7 footers, but statistics show he was ONE OF THE worst rebounding 7 footers of all time. There is plenty of evidence to support that claim. If you have evidence to the contrary, please point me to it. I'd be happy to take a look.

As for him being the biggest problem on the Raptors, I would agree with that. He's certainly not the only problem, but I'd argue he is the biggest problem because he plays the most minutes, and seems to be an important foundation to the team despite his game being so fatally flawed. Instead of just "lol"ing, maybe you could actually try and debate me on that point.

And I never said he was most likely to be traded to Minnesota. I said it's my favourite trade. Again, there's a big difference.

I think the biggest difference between you and I, besides our opinions about Bargnani's game, is that I have the ability to debate and disagree with someone without insulting them. You, apparently, do not. And while you may not like my criticisms of Bargnani, I would say far more people are bothered by posters who insult people simply because they disagree with them.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• I'd take JJ. Less attitude problems, plays hard and will provide good minutes off the bench.

Comment

• I rarely bring up Bargnani's name in unrelated posts. There are A LOT more people that do that. And why on earth do you think I insult him? I don't recall ever insulting him? I've, in fact, defended him against those I felt unfairly insulted him (like when he was called a cancer). I've never said anything personal about Bargnani. Ever. What I have done plenty of is criticize him and his game. There's a big difference, and one you apparently don't understand.

In this case I m not talking about personal insults. I never expected you to call him ugly, or his mom fat. I am talking about professionally insulting him, which to me are the same but I’ll leave that for now. When you repeatedly mention a players weaknesses call them the worst rebounder the biggest problem on the team etc to me that doesn’t really sound like you’re defending his game. If you were defended his game you would point to player strengths such as improved scorer, versatile big man and opportunity to be very helpful player moving forward.

As for my claims, maybe you could point to where I said he was the worst rebounding 7 footer of all time? I remember someone saying that, but it wasn't me. He wasn't the worst rebounding 7 footers, but statistics show he was ONE OF THE worst rebounding 7 footers of all time. There is plenty of evidence to support that claim. If you have evidence to the contrary, please point me to it. I'd be happy to take a look.

Firstly, team statistics relating to individuals are not helpful measures. By that I mean rebounding is a result of team input but is tracked as an individual output. I don’t know what data you used to base your claims against but you’d think just by watching a game one wouldn’t have to use such data to prove a point, unless they had some other motives to draw attention to such as wanting a player to be traded. And last time I checked statements relating to “all time” are used for retired players.

As for him being the biggest problem on the Raptors, I would agree with that. He's certainly not the only problem, but I'd argue he is the biggest problem because he plays the most minutes, and seems to be an important foundation to the team despite his game being so fatally flawed. Instead of just "lol"ing, maybe you could actually try and debate me on that point.

Here are my civilized reasons for disagreeing with you about him being our biggest problem.
                              I listen to and read player / coach’s interviews. Their opinions should be valued more highly the average fan and just based on hearing what they think about his game would make me believe he is a solution player. Here are some opposing players and coaches I remember who have spoke very highly about his game. Lebron James, Dirk Nowitsky, Brook Lopez, Big Z, every opposing coach whose been interviewed. However popular opinion shouldn’t be the determine factor because Id surely loose that battle, seems media/blogger opinions are more important these days. So let’s talk about his game. Well what can’t he do on offence he can step back hit the three, pull up hit the jumper, pump fake drive and dunk in his opponents face, post up a shorter defender, drive by taller one. Did i miss anything? His individual defense is excellent. He moves his feet well, contests every shot and doesn’t foul. His team defense is developing. He shows hard on screens, switches better and blocks some shots. Team defending is one area I would say needs improvement, but you can say that about the majority of NBA players.

And I never said he was most likely to be traded to Minnesota. I said it's my favourite trade. Again, there's a big difference.

What happened to your belief that defense and only defense wins championships? Yet you’re willing to trade for a combination of Beasley, Milicic and or Randolph. Those players who are softer than vanilla ice.

I think the biggest difference between you and I, besides our opinions about Bargnani's game, is that I have the ability to debate and disagree with someone without insulting them. You, apparently, do not. And while you may not like my criticisms of Bargnani, I would say far more people are bothered by posters who insult people simply because they disagree with them.

Unless you’re an aspiring analyst for the NBA you shouldn’t be personally insulted by my criticism towards your criticism of another player’s game. And even if you were personally offended you should have only brought it up if you were certain that David Stern would be reading my post. You say that you have never insulted Bargnani on a personal level, yet now you’re saying I am insulting you on a personal level make up your mind son.
                              Last edited by DunkinDerozan; Tue Mar 8, 2011, 08:05 PM.

Comment

I rarely bring up Bargnani's name in unrelated posts. There are A LOT more people that do that. And why on earth do you think I insult him? I don't recall ever insulting him? I've, in fact, defended him against those I felt unfairly insulted him (like when he was called a cancer). I've never said anything personal about Bargnani. Ever. What I have done plenty of is criticize him and his game. There's a big difference, and one you apparently don't understand.

In this case I m not talking about personal insults. I never expected you to call him ugly, or his mom fat. I am talking about professionally insulting him, which to me are the same but I’ll leave that for now. When you repeatedly mention a players weaknesses call them the worst rebounder the biggest problem on the team etc to me that doesn’t really sound like you’re defending his game. If you were defended his game you would point to player strengths such as improved scorer, versatile big man and opportunity to be very helpful player moving forward.

Firstly, team statistics relating to individuals are not helpful measures. By that I mean rebounding is a result of team input but is tracked as an individual output. I don’t know what data you used to base your claims against but you’d think just by watching a game one wouldn’t have to use such data to prove a point, unless they had some other motives to draw attention to such as wanting a player to be traded. And last time I checked statements relating to “all time” are used for retired players.

Here are my civilized reasons for disagreeing with you about him being our biggest problem.
                                I listen to and read player / coach’s interviews. Their opinions should be valued more highly the average fan and just based on hearing what they think about his game would make me believe he is a solution player. Here are some opposing players and coaches I remember who have spoke very highly about his game. Lebron James, Dirk Nowitsky, Brook Lopez, Big Z, every opposing coach whose been interviewed. However popular opinion shouldn’t be the determine factor because Id surely loose that battle, seems media/blogger opinions are more important these days. So let’s talk about his game. Well what can’t he do on offence he can step back hit the three, pull up hit the jumper, pump fake drive and dunk in his opponents face, post up a shorter defender, drive by taller one. Did i miss anything? His individual defense is excellent. He moves his feet well, contests every shot and doesn’t foul. His team defense is developing. He shows hard on screens, switches better and blocks some shots. Team defending is one area I would say needs improvement, but you can say that about the majority of NBA players.

What happened to your belief that defense and only defense wins championships? Yet you’re willing to trade for a combination of Beasley, Milicic and or Randolph. Those players who are softer than vanilla ice.

Unless you’re an aspiring analyst for the NBA you shouldn’t be personally insulted by my criticism towards your criticism of another player’s game. And even if you were personally offended you should have only brought it up if you were certain that David Stern would be reading my post. You say that you have never insulted Bargnani on a personal level, yet now you’re saying I am insulting you on a personal level make up your mind son.
                                how do you get the time to type that shizz? I almost had a heartattack lookin at your post, cut down the words bro.

Comment

Working...
                                X