Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast

Thread: James Johnson Discussion

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    I like James Johnson. I think he is a great option as a back up 3. Great energy, defensive guy coming off the bench with Amir and Barbosa. I don't see him being a starter on a contender. If possible, we should move Kleiza, although unlikely with the injury.

If we can trade for a game changing 3, like Gay or Granger, I think we would be solid at the 3 sport. We would then have a strong PF, SF, SG rotation.

We just have to worry about the PG's and C's. Hopefully we get lucky tonight and land Irving!
    You know Granger is 28. And he's a borderline All-Star. I think the time for a guy like Granger was last year, when the Raptors needed someone to get them to the next level. Definitely not now.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anyone has called him the next Artest, but just picked a player who has a similar game.

In 25 games with Toronto in his second year in the NBA Johnson put up 9.2 ppg, 4.7 rpg with 3 assist and a block and a steal, on paper that looks pretty good and not far off Artest`s year 2 numbers of 11.9, 3.9, 3, 2, and .6

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If we draft williams it just means that he and James Johnson have to battle it out for minutes. Neither should feel entitled to the starting spot so it shouldn't be a probably locker room wise. Not sure i'm going to be able to watch the draft but i am starting to get some jitters!
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    I don't think anyone has called him the next Artest, but just picked a player who has a similar game.

In 25 games with Toronto in his second year in the NBA Johnson put up 9.2 ppg, 4.7 rpg with 3 assist and a block and a steal, on paper that looks pretty good and not far off Artest`s year 2 numbers of 11.9, 3.9, 3, 2, and .6
    His ball handling is far better than Artest then or now, but I see some Diaw in him too. Maybe smack Diaw and Artest together real hard and you get James Johson. No..wait, just have Diaw and Artest smack together real hard. Would make for an interesting show, collision or aftermath...

Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Granger's time is up. 28? Really are we getting to the point where 28 is to old? We need some veterans on this team. Granger has at least 6 good years left. If Ed and DeMar improve this summer and we can land someone like Irving, and acquire a couple other pieces we are a playoff team. Give it three years and we could be a contender.

I think the key is getting a 20 pt. guy on the wing with DeMar and improve our interior defence. Ed is one step closer to having great interior D. Just need a lock down Centre, that doesn't necessarily have to have offensive skills. An intimidator, shot blocker, rebounder that can get some put backs.

I really don't think we are far off. We have a great bench with J.J., Amir, Barbosa, Bayless

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Ron Artest?! Some of you people need a reality check. We just lost 60 games for goodness sake. Do you really think Chicago would have traded James Johnson for a worthless pick if they saw even one iota of Ron Artest in him?
    shut the hell up we're just comparing them no one said he's the next artest. Get your facts straight and stop trolling. Who do you think chicago will get with a really late 1st round pick in a shitty draft class?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Granger's time is up. 28? Really are we getting to the point where 28 is to old? We need some veterans on this team. Granger has at least 6 good years left. If Ed and DeMar improve this summer and we can land someone like Irving, and acquire a couple other pieces we are a playoff team. Give it three years and we could be a contender.

I think the key is getting a 20 pt. guy on the wing with DeMar and improve our interior defence. Ed is one step closer to having great interior D. Just need a lock down Centre, that doesn't necessarily have to have offensive skills. An intimidator, shot blocker, rebounder that can get some put backs.

I really don't think we are far off. We have a great bench with J.J., Amir, Barbosa, Bayless
    Bayless can arguably be a starter if he proves he can drop some dimes, but if we pick irving then he'll be on the bench. If we pick D Will then our starting line up will be extremely explosive and we'll be a hard team to stop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptors_ wrote: View Post
    shut the hell up we're just comparing them no one said he's the next artest. Get your facts straight and stop trolling. Who do you think chicago will get with a really late 1st round pick in a shitty draft class?
    Seriously bro, you need to be easy.

Johnson isn't anywhere NEAR Artest at this point. You're talking about one of the best defenders in NBA history. It's a little premature to be talking about someone like James Johnson in the same ilk as Ron Artest on the court. In my opinion, Johnson will be a solid reserve, maybe spot starter, but nowhere near Artest's calibre.

Post Thanks / Like

28 isn't old, but when you're talking about adding him to a team that is probably 4-5 years away from contending (if they're lucky), then you realize that he probably isn't the best guy to add. He's also not a very good defensive player, which is obviously a problem with this team.

And if you think a 22 win team is not far off, then I want whatever you're having.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe tone down the insults there. You, for one, said that James Johnson has the potential to be better than Artest. ebrian's comment is a valid one. If Johnson really had the potential to be better than Artest do you think Chicago would have traded him away? I think we all agree it was a good deal for the Raptors, but if Johnson becomes a good rotation player, I think that will be good.
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Assuming he has 6 good years left in him, 28 isn't old for a team that will be contending for the next 6 years. It should be simple to see that we aren't in that boat. So let's say we start contending in 3 years, and he has 3 good years left from that point on. Best case scenario, we have him for 3 years of "contending", and then we're stuck with a bad contract during the rest of our contending. Worst case scenario, he leaves after his contract expires and before we start contending, and all we did was rent him for 3 years of keeping us in the late lottery.

Really, stop thinking in terms of quick fixes.

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa, James, I didn't know you posted on here. Can I have your autograph?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    Assuming he has 6 good years left in him, 28 isn't old for a team that will be contending for the next 6 years. It should be simple to see that we aren't in that boat. So let's say we start contending in 3 years, and he has 3 good years left from that point on. Best case scenario, we have him for 3 years of "contending", and then we're stuck with a bad contract during the rest of our contending. Worst case scenario, he leaves after his contract expires and before we start contending, and all we did was rent him for 3 years of keeping us in the late lottery.

Really, stop thinking in terms of quick fixes.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Follow me on Twitter.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    Whoa, James, I didn't know you posted on here. Can I have your autograph?
    your soo funny...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    You, for one, said that James Johnson has the potential to be better than Artest. ebrian's comment is a valid one. If Johnson really had the potential to be better than Artest do you think Chicago would have traded him away?
    When did i say that? and how is his trolling valid? and how is chicago suppose to know if he had the potential to be like artest if they sat his ass on the bench and never gave him a chance.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Johnson isn't anywhere NEAR Artest at this point. You're talking about one of the best defenders in NBA history.
    Thats over exaggerating. He's not one of the best defenders in NBA history he's good but not that good. This was like James johnsons rookie season cause he barley played with chicago. You watched him play around 20 games this season with the raptors that doesn't prove anything, a lot can happen over the summer. johnson has the height and athletisism to be a better defender he just needs to work on some things offensively and he's all set.

Post Thanks / Like

When did i say that?
    Here....

he has potential to be better. His defensive presence makes him like the thabo sefalosha of the raptors.
    and how is his trolling valid? and how is chicago suppose to know if he had the potential to be like artest if they sat his ass on the bench and never gave him a chance.
    How was he trolling? People started getting carried away and he said so. Telling him to shut the hell up way really out of no where.

As for him in Chicago, they had a chance to watch him in practice for a year and a half, as well as the games in the D-League. I'm not saying the didn't make a mistake, but it's not like they didn't get a chance to make a judgement on him.
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats over exaggerating. He's not one of the best defenders in NBA history he's good but not that good. This was like James johnsons rookie season cause he barley played with chicago. You watched him play around 20 games this season with the raptors that doesn't prove anything, a lot can happen over the summer. johnson has the height and athletisism to be a better defender he just needs to work on some things offensively and he's all set.
    Artest Defensive Player of the Year in 2004, and during his prime was an All Defensive stalwart and one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. I'd say you can say he was one of the best in the history of the game. Did you watch him in his prime?
    Follow me on Twitter.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Artest Defensive Player of the Year in 2004, and during his prime was an All Defensive stalwart and one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. I'd say you can say he was one of the best in the history of the game. Did you watch him in his prime?
    i did a bit but he isn't that great. He won defensive player of the year once why didn't he win anymore?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

they could have sat artest on the bench the first 2 years of his career and you guys would have been saying the same thing.

Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast

Thread Information