James Johnson Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    Yeah, really though. I still think they should keep Wright if they can get him for the vet minimum.
    Well if we hypothetically draft Barnes, having both Johnson and Wright seems pretty dumb? And I don't see the point, if he was ever to get any playing time it was when Kleiza went down. He didn't, so what would change Triano's mind on Wright? I personally liked Wright, always though he deserved twice the minutes Weems has gotten this year.

Comment

• JoePanini wrote: View Post
      He doesn't have that thing, not sure what it was, that Garbo had. But he definitely plays with energy and is already our best defender.
      The only two things I can think of are a more experienced supporting cast and experience (Garbojosa was 28 when he played here in 2006-07).

Comment

• When you look over the last couple of years, you have to think that BC has been trying to get a guy like Johnson for some time. You look at guys like Antoine Wright, Julian Wright, Jomario Moon, and even Joey Graham (admitedly here before BC) and you see the trend: Big small forwards who have good athleticism, play hard D, and have some passing ability. I think that BC has found the guy he was looking for in JJ and we will see him as part of the future going forward.

When you look at BC's moves and acquisitions it's not hard to see what he's trying to do: Stretch five, Rebounding tough four, Big athletic three, Slashing two, and speed and passing at the one. Add some three point shooting off the bench and voila.

Edit: Forgot Klieza, but he fits with this trend too, minus the athleticism.
        Last edited by hateslosing; Tue Mar 22, 2011, 11:11 AM.
        "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Well if we hypothetically draft Barnes, having both Johnson and Wright seems pretty dumb? And I don't see the point, if he was ever to get any playing time it was when Kleiza went down. He didn't, so what would change Triano's mind on Wright? I personally liked Wright, always though he deserved twice the minutes Weems has gotten this year.
          I'm not sure why it's dumb if you're paying Wright the vet minimum. Can you name me a player off the top of your head who is better than Wright and is the 14th or 15th man on a NBA roster? Tough to do.

Wright can play the 3 and 4. He's similar to JJ and I'd rather have two guys like that than Trey and Sundiata sharing 10 days...

Comment

You need guys on the bench for depth. If we do get Barnes, having Johnson and Wright as bench depth would be a blessing. They play multiple positions, and it creates a lot of flexibility on the roster.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
              You need guys on the bench for depth. If we do get Barnes, having Johnson and Wright as bench depth would be a blessing. They play multiple positions, and it creates a lot of flexibility on the roster.
              I have trouble seeing Julian Wright wanting to come back to Toronto. His qualifying offer is huge, so he won't get that and he can likely get the vet minimum to go ride the pine on a playoff team. If he can't get on the floor on this Raps team he won't next year. In any case, I can't see the Raps having any interest in the guy going forward based on this season.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                I have trouble seeing Julian Wright wanting to come back to Toronto. His qualifying offer is huge, so he won't get that and he can likely get the vet minimum to go ride the pine on a playoff team. If he can't get on the floor on this Raps team he won't next year. In any case, I can't see the Raps having any interest in the guy going forward based on this season.
                I don't think he gets on a playoff team but I am in 100% agreement on the bold. I would like to know what is going on behind the scenes because he seems like a great teammate and tireless worker.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                  I'm not sure why it's dumb if you're paying Wright the vet minimum. Can you name me a player off the top of your head who is better than Wright and is the 14th or 15th man on a NBA roster? Tough to do.

Wright can play the 3 and 4. He's similar to JJ and I'd rather have two guys like that than Trey and Sundiata sharing 10 days...
                  True, never really realized. But I still don't think Triano would ever play him, in a rebuilding season you'd think he would try out guys like Wright. He even gave Trey Johnson minutes... And I think Wright has the athleticism to play the 2 if we ever want to go real big.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    The only two things I can think of are a more experienced supporting cast and experience (Garbojosa was 28 when he played here in 2006-07).
                    And Garbo's hair and beard. Why did the Celtics have to become good? Damn, Division Champs...

Comment

• HoopsWorld.com: James Johnson gets draft do-over

At the start of this season, the Raptors small forward position was crowded by the free agent acquisition of Linas Kleiza, the return of the very popular Sonny Weems, and the newly acquired Julian Wright. Unfortunately Kleiza injured his knee in preseason and eventually had season-ending surgery and Weems missed about six weeks with back spasms so the Raptors needed D-League call-ups for part of the year. When Weems returned at the end of January, the starting small forward position was his alone until Johnson arrived.

"Acquiring James fell right in line with our plan of acquiring more young talent and/or assets," Raptors President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo told HOOPSWORLD. "We really didn't have a prototypical small forward at the time as Sonny is really more of a 2 than he is a 3, particularly on the defensive end of the floor. If anything, Sonny has lost minutes because of DeMar's emergence as a much more productive player."

"More than pushing guys, it is a great opportunity for us to evaluate our future and where we are going to go," said Triano. "(Johnson) could be a guy who is a part of our future. We like what we have seen so far. We followed him in the d-league and he had very good numbers there. He is going to get an opportunity to play consistent minutes in the NBA (here).

"He is a bigger guy than most of the guys we have. We have a lot of slight guys so physically he is stronger than some (of our) guys, especially at that wing position, and that's going to help us."

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz1Hj0anwM1
                      The bolded section does not bode well for Sonny.

Comment

• He has played very well this year, he needs to continue to move foward with his growth as a player and the role he is to play on this raptor team, All eyes seem to point that he will be with this club next year, I just hope it does'nt turn into Sonny Weems situation, where he showed huge progress in his game on offence and defence, only to let it go to his head, and not work on his game and show no hustle in his defence anymore.

I like JJ he could be a important part on the rebuilding of this team down the road and play a big role for us off the bench.

Comment

• Keep JJ he is the only player who gives it 100% on the defensive end.

Comment

• I'd take JJ over any eastern conference SF that has been in the league for 2 years or less. Well, I would pick Landry Fields over him.
                            Last edited by e2thed; Sat Mar 26, 2011, 06:48 PM.
                            NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

• He is a special talent defensively no doubt. He needs to work on avoiding stupid fouls, like fouling jump shooters, or fouling 3 pt shooters. He also needs to work on his jump shot, and his turnover rate. Other than that, he is very athletic, he gives it his all, and I see a lot of potential he could be a 12 pts 5 reb 5 assists guy.
                              "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• e2thed wrote: View Post
                                I'd take JJ over any eastern conference SF that has been in the league for 2 years or less. Well, I would pick Landry Fields over him.
                                Landry fields is a SG.

Comment

Working...
                                X