Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    ...and the staff will keep him focused.
    What we all hope and wish for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    What we all hope and wish for.
    I think we have the right people for the job, and that is key!

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we have the right people for the job, and that is key!
    Amen. Casey and Alex might be the two most important acquisitions BC has made. I have less of a feeling for what the other guys do, though I must admit I like seeing how engaged the assistants are during games and the way they are always pulling players aside to have a word with them. And the way the players seem to be respectfully listening.

Come to think of it, I don't think I recall seeing that kind of sideline conversation going on with other teams. Has anyone noticed? Or is it something more common on the Raps?

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure I agree, I think he does, and will care. In Chicago he was not given an opportunity, nor was he developed as a player, I think that soured him a little and caused him to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder. With Toronto he has been given a chance to play and grow as a player, the tough love Casey showed him I think has been a positive rather than a negative. With an off season further defining his role and honing his skills, James could be one of the top 6th men in the league moving forward, getting time at the 3 and 4 spots. His versatility will keep in the rotation, and the staff will keep him focused.
    Rationally, I agree with your statements. It all stems from his ability to accept the bench role.

Irrationally, I can't shake that vibe. I have no grounds for it - just a vibe.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I don't put stock in late-season revivals for players in non-playoff teams.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not just looking at his late season play, but rather his whole season of work. He brings things to the table that some of our other wings don't have. He is already a decent defender, able to guard multiple positions, shows passable handles, sees the floor, and has put in lots of work on fixing his shot during the season...with results.

By no means do I think he is our savior at the 3 spot moving forward, but I do feel he could be a valuable rotational player on a good basketball team.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    Sorry, I don't put stock in late-season revivals for players in non-playoff teams.
    lol, exactly.

Everything we've seen from JJ over the past 4 weeks should be taken with a GIANT grain of salt.

Either way, he's not our solution at SF. He's a decent bench player capable of playing SF/PF, but I don't see him having more than a JYD-type role on a playoff bound team.

I'm not saying get rid of the guy. I'm just saying that he likely won't reach his "potential", because next season, wins will actually matter, and living through JJ's learning curve will be a luxury Casey cannot afford. JJ will be turning 26 next year. He's no longer a raw kid with a plethora of time to improve his game.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    lol, exactly.

Everything we've seen from JJ over the past 4 weeks should be taken with a GIANT grain of salt.

Either way, he's not our solution at SF. He's a decent bench player capable of playing SF/PF, but I don't see him having more than a JYD-type role on a playoff bound team.

I'm not saying get rid of the guy. I'm just saying that he likely won't reach his "potential", because next season, wins will actually matter, and living through JJ's learning curve will be a luxury Casey cannot afford. JJ will be turning 26 next year. Not exactly a raw kid with a plethora of time to improve his game.
    I think that is what WJF and myself see for him. He is an energy reserve at the 3/4 spot (sorry if I put words in your mouth WJF).

If he dreams of bigger things than that, I hope the Raptors send him packing. He is not the answer to the starting SF puzzle.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel completely indifferent about JJ. I think his defense is overrated and would be happy to see him moved as part of a deal to land an additional 1st round pick or a wing upgrade (ie: S&T to get Batum or Mayo, or a trade for somebody like Gay or Matthews).

If JJ is still a Raptor next season, I seriously hope he's not a starter. If his ego could deal with it, I think he could be quite effective as a JYD type backup, bringing energy, defense and rebounding off the bench. Assuming either Amir/Davis gets traded and hoping for a top wing to be drafted (MKG/Barnes or Beal, with DD moving to SF), I would be fine with a PF/SF depth chart looking like this:

PF: Bargnani, Amir/Davis, Kleiza
    SF: MKG/Barnes/DeRozan, JJ, Kleiza

I think that lineup would give Casey a lot of flexibility to throw out various lineup combinations at the 3/4 spots, creating all sorts of different looks for the opposition to deal with.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

JJ still has another year left on his rookie contract. Plenty of time to get a better feel for any improvement or character/role acceptance. A good backup option to have at the very least. Can anyone think of another SF/PF (versatility) backup in the league who is better, as young/cheap or has the potential to get better?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    JJ still has another year left on his rookie contract. Plenty of time to get a better feel for any improvement or character/role acceptance. A good backup option to have at the very least. Can anyone think of another SF/PF (versatility) backup in the league who is better, as young/cheap or has the potential to get better?
    A few are out there:

Dorell Wright
    Brandon Wright
    Ersan Ilyasova
    Al Farouq Aminu....maybe

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope he stays, as part of the 2nd unit.
    I think by now he should accept the fact that he's not starter material, as evidenced by his ass getting stuck on the bench for 2 years in Chicago.

I'm with Matt, i think he'd want to leave and see if he can be a starter elsewhere.

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    I hope he stays, as part of the 2nd unit.
    I think by now he should accept the fact that he's not starter material, as evidenced by his ass getting stuck on the bench for 2 years in Chicago.

I'm with Matt, i think he'd want to leave and see if he can be a starter elsewhere.
    He could start on Sacramento if Tyreke is gone, Charlotte, bottom feeding lottery teams mostly.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

The Key to JJ is completely mental. He has the ability to be a key starter on a championship team (i.e. lock down defender and and great help defender with shot blocking), but it is a question of doing the things which teams need and not necessarily what he wants to do. It's a decision he has to make as a professional.

The bottom line is, the games where he was good, he was really really good. He did things on the defensive end which we have not seen in a long time if ever. When you consider what we traded for him...I think a late second rounder?.....there is no way we should risk losing him. I think DC has the ability to get him to buy in to becoming what we need him to be.

As far as whether he will be on the second or first unit, there is no way we should be putting him on the 2nd unit even next year, but it is a question of what else BC is bringing in. The way I see it, if we have a 1 or 2 who can score 20 PPG, plus Bargs, JJ will have to defer and play defense. We need to bring in some guys who can create and send a message to JJ this way.
    Last edited by BallaBalla; Wed Apr 25th, 2012 at 11:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    About a month ago a lot of us were questioning if he was a piece to move forward
    LOL, I'm not sure that really meant anything given the level of loyalty to players around here.

I believe he will be a solid bench player next year and a good trade asset as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    LOL, I'm not sure that really meant anything given the level of loyalty to players around here.

I believe he will be a solid bench player next year and a good trade asset as well.
    Agreed.

I also don't believe they hype about him being a "lockdown defender". He's a good defender and probably the best defender on a team filled with bad man-defenders, but he's hardly an elite defensive player. I would seriously hope that he wouldn't be kept rather than used as a trade asset, for no reason other than the fact that he's the team's "lockdown defender".

Raptors Republic Starter SuperRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

JJ is stacked. His defense is potentially a game changer on any given night, and his offensive has improved leaps and bounds since the beginning of this year, that includes his decision making as well as his shooting. The improvement on his shooting is so impressive that he is probably our 2nd best mid range shooter after Demar. I am excited to see what a full training camp, and a regular off season with these coaches can do for his game.

People on this forum are going to disagree with me, but I think that even if we do draft a Harrison Barnes or another wing player, that they will be coming off of the bench and JJ will be starting. This is because Casey and Colangelo will be eager to win next year, and will have less patience to bring up a rookie in the starting line up. I see our new pick getting around 20-25 min. a game for the first half of this year, and if he proves himself or someone gets injured they start. Jonas Valanciunas will of course be starting.

You heard it from me first.

JJ ftw.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A few are out there:

Dorell Wright
    Brandon Wright
    Ersan Ilyasova
    Al Farouq Aminu....maybe
    Actually Aminu maybe the only one who meets all of the criteria I laid out (sf/pf versatility, young and cheap (rook contract), backup on team, potential). I should have added defensive skillset. In anycase my point really was the list is very small.

Raptors Republic Starter SuperRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post

That's funny I don't see that much "loyalty for players around here" I hear the same players get praised one day who were bashed the day before. That's not loyalty, that's band wagon jumping.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
    That's funny I don't see that much "loyalty for players around here"
    That's what I was saying...

Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 LastLast

Thread Information