James Johnson Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahh! My Eyes! My eyes! ....
    JY is accurate about the editing FX on the vid but otherwise it's good. Reminds you of JJ's potential for sure.

Comment

• reports say he has shed 15lbs? if he can get quicker I'm all for it! I think he can make himself into something. I just hope that shot of his gets better.

Comment

• Even if the only thing he improves on coming into next season is his jump shot, I'd be happy. But by improve I mean significant improvement.

A future front court of (an improved) JJ, Ed Davis, and Valanciunas looks promising. Hopefully all of them live up to potential.

Comment

• Realistically, I don't expect all that much from JJ.

But honestly, he is the single guy that I would be most stoked if he blows up next year and plays awesome. He's got the physical tools to be a great, great SF. Plus he's a martial arts master, AND he has something to prove because the team that drafted him didn't give him minutes. I'm really rooting for him to do well.

And even if he doesn't get any better, he is still a better small forward than Sonny Weems.

Comment

• Yeah, he's definitely a better 3 than weems (who is a 2 imo) but I wasn't really impressed by his highlights, other than the put back over griffen it was mostly on cuts to the basket. He is a good guy to have on the roster though, at worst he's a better than average back up but I think his ceiling is a slightly better than average small forward. If he improves to the point where he is an average SF starter I'll be happy. Hopefully well see some growth in his jump shot whenever we see him next.
            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• i think he can be a good player in the nba and we should start him next season and let kleiza come off the bench.

Comment

• G-locity wrote: View Post
                i think he can be a good player in the nba and we should start him next season and let kleiza come off the bench.
                Unless we pick up somebody else through signing or trade, that is the only possibility. Kleiza is coming back from surgery, and didn't exactly prove to be a legit starter when he was playing. I remember Kleiza saying how he wanted to show he was a starter in this league when he came here (or something along those lines) but really he is a good first/second guy off the bench to pump up the offense. He can definitely provide some mismatches and get hot at any point. An improved JJ could definitely be an asset moving forward.

Comment

• James Johnson back in town

James Johnson arrived an hour or so ahead of Davis and talked about the work he did to expand his offensive game.

“As soon as I heard the lockout was over, the first thought for me was just to hurry up and drive (from Ohio) and get into the facilities,” Johnson said.

“It really gives you a judge of what you’ve got going, the shots that you’ve been working on all summer. My shot feels consistent, but it’s going to take more and more jumpers and I’ll be here every day just getting acclimated back to the Raptors’ facilities.”

Johnson said he was also looking forward to getting after it defensively under new head coach Dwane Casey.

“I like to play an all-around game, not only just on the offensive end but definitely pick it up on defence. That’s (Casey’s) mindset, and that’s definitely my mindset,” he said.

“I’m not afraid to work harder than my opponent and I think that starts on the defensive end.”

What is Johnson planning to prove?

“Letting everybody know that last year isn’t going to happen this year,” he said.

“We have guys that can score the ball, but you can’t win ball games without stopping anybody on the defensive end.”

The Raptors have certainly proven that point over the past few seasons.
                  Source: Toronto Sun

Comment

• If Johnson has indeed improved his shot to where he is a consistent spot up shooter able to hit the 3, his game will improve by leaps and bounds. I thought that he was not a terrible defender last year, and given a more structured approach he could blossom on that end of the floor as well.
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• If Johnson can hit the open 3 and lower his turnover rate, he has everything he needs to turn into an outstanding 3.

His opponent's PER last season on the Raps was 12.3. That's elite defense.

Some of his per36 numbers:

Rebounds 6.2
                      Assists 3.9
                      Steals 1.4
                      Blocks 1.6

All of those numbers are outstanding. They are particularly so given last year was the first season where he got any real playing time. If he improves his jumpshot and keeps his focus on D, there's no reason to think he can't turn into a 15point, 7 rebound, 5 assist per game player, who grabs more than his share of steals and blocks, and locks down his opponent. If he hit 1 more three per game than he did, he'd almost be at that 15ppg mark as it is. Who needs Josh Smith?
                      Last edited by jeff_hostetler; Sun Dec 4, 2011, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• Johnson does bring good size the the small forward position, his youth and inconsistent start to his NBA career could be working in the Raptors favor. He did show signs last year of being able to have a long career.
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• he could be that defensive stopper we're looking for.

Comment

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRV3nWi0vxI here is a mix from last year
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                              If Johnson can hit the open 3 and lower his turnover rate, he has everything he needs to turn into an outstanding 3.

His opponent's PER last season on the Raps was 12.3. That's elite defense.

Some of his per36 numbers:

Rebounds 6.2
                              Assists 3.9
                              Steals 1.4
                              Blocks 1.6

All of those numbers are outstanding. They are particularly so given last year was the first season where he got any real playing time. If he improves his jumpshot and keeps his focus on D, there's no reason to think he can't turn into a 15point, 7 rebound, 5 assist per game player, who grabs more than his share of steals and blocks, and locks down his opponent. If he hit 1 more three per game than he did, he'd almost be at that 15ppg mark as it is. Who needs Josh Smith?
                              I concur. I love this guy, he could be that glue guy for our team that we need. I can see this guy getting some triple doubles next year. He almost got a couple last year.
                              "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• Between James Johnson averaging 1.6 blocks per 36 min. Ed Davis averaging 1.5 blocks per 36 min. And even BARGNANI averaging close to a block per game. Thats like 4.1 blocks per game from our starting front court per 36 min. Did someone call the SWAT team? Rawr!!!!

Assuming that is our starting front court.
                                "Defense wins championships."

Comment

Working...
                                X