Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    and the Peja trade created $9M for NOH.
    I dont think this is true... they got $2M exception for Bayless because we used our TPE to acquire him ... I could be wrong and missing something though.

And you can't create a Trade Exception when you trade more then one player in a deal. It is often times the case where it is structured to get around this, but ya..
    Last edited by Joey; Fri Feb 25, 2011, 06:40 PM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      I dont think this is true... they got $2M exception for Bayless because we used our TPE to acquire him ... I could be wrong and missing something though.

And you can't create a Trade Exception when you trade more then one player in a deal. It is often times the case where it is structured to get around this, but ya..
      Look at NBA trade machine. Peja's TPE is listed at $6.6M but they used $3M of it on Carl Landry.

DEN got a TPE trading Melo, Billups, Williams, Balkman, and Carter. They actually received 3 TPE, $17.1M, $1.6M, and $854K for Melo, Balkman, and Williams, respectively.

Comment

The essence behind the TPE is that, from the players association perspective, with the salary cap and exemptions, once a trade is made and a team loses salary they can't add it back if they are over the soft cap - which most teams historically are. This allows more money to be able to be spent on players.

Comment

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm
          Raptors_, go here if you want to learn it all from the horses mouth. Look up Non-Simultaneous Trades. #72.

Again, non-simultaneous trades are not available when a team trades away multiple players (aggregates). Let's say a team has a $4 million player and a $5 million player, and uses the Traded Player exception to trade for an $8 million player. Even though they trade away more salary ($9 million) than they receive ($8 million), the fact that they aggregated the two players means they do not gain a Traded Player exception. However, it is sometimes possible to reorganize these trades so that players technically are not aggregated. A good example of this occurred in 2004 when Houston traded Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato to Orlando for Tracy McGrady, Juwan Howard, Tyronn Lue and Reece Gaines. As a single trade, it could only be simultaneous since multiple players were moving each way. However, Houston was able to reorganize the trade into three separate trades. In one trade, they acquired McGrady and Gaines for Mobley and Cato. In another trade, they acquired Howard and Lue using an existing Traded Player exception from their earlier Glen Rice trade. That left them trading Francis essentially by himself for nothing, which generated a new Traded Player exception in the amount of Francis' base year value. From Orlando's perspective, it was a single, simultaneous three-for-four trade.
          Good explanation of how it can, and has been used.
          Last edited by Joey; Fri Feb 25, 2011, 06:59 PM.

Comment

And ya Matt you're right, had to do alot of diggin but found evidence of the TPE for New Orleans. You know, the more I think I know how it works, the more I realize I have NO IDEA. hahaha

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              And ya Matt you're right, had to do alot of diggin but found evidence of the TPE for New Orleans. You know, the more I think I know how it works, the more I realize I have NO IDEA. hahaha
              No worries. I tend to find something new every day as well.

It would be great to have a very simple new CBA:

1) hard cap
              2) rookie salaries scale
              3) franchise tag like NFL
              4) no one player can account for more than x% of payroll.

Basically take the TPE's, 125% + 100K, and all the other nonsense and shove it.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                No worries. I tend to find something new every day as well.

It would be great to have a very simple new CBA:

1) hard cap
                2) rookie salaries scale
                3) franchise tag like NFL
                4) no one player can account for more than x% of payroll.

Basically take the TPE's, 125% + 100K, and all the other nonsense and shove it.
                I agree 100% with you! Aside from the hard cap, I am most interested in what becomes of a couple other salary things that are unique to the NBA: the "bird" rule, mid-level exception, bi-annual exception and veteran's minimum.... could be a completely different NBA after this year! On the surface I hope it does change, but only time will tell if it will be for the better. Anything closer to the NFL/NHL would be good, though they aren't perfect either.

Comment

I have been impressed that BC has stuck to a rebuild, instead of using that TPE to bring in a high priced vet (as I feared he might do)... I am okay with Bayless, Johnson, and Ajinca as consolation prizes, given that Colangelo held onto Bosh until he had an out in his contract. Throw in a top 5 pick (hopefully a player as good or better than DeRozan / Davis), and this team is headed in the right direction.

Comment

madeupid25 wrote: View Post
                    i have been impressed that bc has stuck to a rebuild, instead of using that tpe to bring in a high priced vet (as i feared he might do)... I am okay with bayless, johnson, and ajinca as consolation prizes, given that colangelo held onto bosh until he had an out in his contract. Throw in a top 5 pick (hopefully a player as good or better than derozan / davis), and this team is headed in the right direction.
                    irving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

What we got for Bosh:
                      1) Miami (via Toronto) 1st round pick (Top 5 Projected)
                      2) Miami 1st round pick + TPE --> James Johnson
                      3) TPE --> Ajinca
                      4) TPE --> Bayless
                      5) TPE --> Peja --> Cap Space
                      6) TPE --> Barbosa + rid from Turkoglu's contract

So when you add it up we get a Top 5 pick, James Johnson, Ajinca, Bayless, and Cap space/future flexibility. Better than nothing. We can also use the TPE to move up in the draft and/or acquire players through summer deals.

Comment

Working...
                      X