AP48M: 14.2, 3rd in NBA
    AST/TO: 4.22, 1st in NBA

Side note FYI:
    ACC Stats
    APG: 10.1
    AP48M: 15.2
    AST/TO: 4.63

Source: ESPN.com

My issue with Calderon is his health, his contract, and his age.

When he is healthy there is no doubting his abilities. In the back of my mind I'm always waiting for the next injury.

His contract is what it is - one of those things you have to accept. But if he had played the way he is now the last 2 years, there would be fewer complaints.

With regards to his age, he won't be the PG to lead this team in the future. The sooner they find one, the better. Maybe next year's draft that will be the focus.

Comment

Dude is 4th or 5th in assists. Or as I like to call him, draft day trade bait.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        My issue with Calderon is his health, his contract, and his age.

When he is healthy there is no doubting his abilities. In the back of my mind I'm always waiting for the next injury.

His contract is what it is - one of those things you have to accept. But if he had played the way he is now the last 2 years, there would be fewer complaints.

With regards to his age, he won't be the PG to lead this team in the future. The sooner they find one, the better. Maybe next year's draft that will be the focus.
        Funny comment about his age. Considering Nash, J Kidd, Derek Fisher, etc, all perform well and they are "up there". I assume you mean he is not aging well, in that his talent is tapering off? It might be safer to say his talent level was just never at that superior level. I fully expect D Rose, Rondo, D Will, etc, to continue to improve with age, and as J Kidd would say, learn to be good at new things and understand what they can and cannot do at a certain age.

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
          Funny comment about his age. Considering Nash, J Kidd, Derek Fisher, etc, all perform well and they are "up there". I assume you mean he is not aging well, in that his talent is tapering off? It might be safer to say his talent level was just never at that superior level. I fully expect D Rose, Rondo, D Will, etc, to continue to improve with age, and as J Kidd would say, learn to be good at new things and understand what they can and cannot do at a certain age.
          And hopefully he learned his lesson and doesn't play in any international competition.
          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Jose's defence is much better as well. For the first time in 4 years, he has a positive on/off rating, meaning that the team is better defensively when he is on the court vs. off. His adjusted +/- is also positive. He is having a very good season, for sure.

Comment

I find the simplest answer is that we need a PG going forward. And we need consistency. I would have no problem with him coming back for at least another year. A bit surprised by the numbers listed above. And impressed.
              “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

he gives up more points than he assist, just saying.

Comment

Calderon would be the perfect mentor for the next two seasons for Irving, if the Raps are fortunate enough to draft him. Calderon is a professional on and off the court, puts the team first and is a pass-first PG... everything we want in the PG of the future for this team, which he could pass along to Irving while he transitions to the NBA, especially if he comes out for the upcoming draft after only half of one season of college ball.

Drafting Irving and keeping Calderon on as a mentor instantly makes Bayless trade bait, which is good, since his age/contract/potential make him a much more valued asset than Calderon.
                  Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Mar 3, 2011, 06:53 PM.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    Calderon would be the perfect mentor for the next two seasons for Irving, if the Raps are fortunate enough to draft him. Calderon is a professional on and off the court, puts the team first and is a pass-first PG... everything we want in the PG of the future for this team, which he could pass along to Irving while he transitions to the NBA, especially if he comes out for the upcoming draft after only half of one season of college ball.

Drafting Irving and keeping Calderon on as a mentor instantly makes Bayless trade bait, which is good, since his age/contract/potential make him a much more valued asset than Calderon.
                    I wish you were right man, but the Cleveland Fagaliers(Lame, i know) are going to snatch him. Unless they make a retard move and pass him up. If we somehow miraculously got Irving, i'd cry from happiness.

Comment

Raptors_ wrote: View Post
                      I wish you were right man, but the Cleveland Fagaliers(Lame, i know) are going to snatch him. Unless they make a retard move and pass him up. If we somehow miraculously got Irving, i'd cry from happiness.
                      haha as Raptors fans, we need to start rooting for ping pong balls now!

Comment

haha as Raptors fans, we need to start rooting for ping pong balls now!
                        one of us need to rig the ping pong balls or sum sneaky shit like that.

Comment

Raptors_ wrote: View Post
                          one of us need to rig the ping pong balls or sum sneaky shit like that.
                          I guess it really comes down to one question: which team/market does Stern want to prioritize, Toronto or Cleveland? haha

Comment

I guess it really comes down to one question: which team/market does Stern want to prioritize, Toronto or Cleveland? haha
                            Why don't we just drop a fckin nuclear bomb on Cleveland? jus kiddin, but who knows cleveland might think baron davis is their future(which he's not) and draft someone else.

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
                              Funny comment about his age. Considering Nash, J Kidd, Derek Fisher, etc, all perform well and they are "up there". I assume you mean he is not aging well, in that his talent is tapering off?
                              The names you dropped are very different players but they have one important similarity. All those guys rely heavily on skill to be effective and not athleticism. this is why they're still highly effective. Talent doesn't diminsh, but the body can/will. Those guys are all in excellent condition too by the way and I'd imagine they have to work a lot harder at that aspect now than ten years ago. Anyway, long story short, Calderon is a skill guy. He doesn't get it done on offense because he can out run or jump anybody. He's not bullying guys around in the post or running over guys in the paint in general. He rarely enters the paint at all unless he see a hole to sneak in the backdoor with a layup. He's has brains. As long as he works very hard on the conditioning side I personally think he can play effective offense in the league into his mid to late 30's. Defense is always gonna be a problem with him and I think that has a lot more to do with things other than athleticism.

The Russell Westbrook's, Derrick Rose's and John Wall's are the kind of PG's that typically fall off fast when their bodies start to slow down because elite athleticism is what makes them elite. Take that away and you have three average PG's. It's why the Clippers gave away a high lotto pick to get rid of Baron Davis, Steve Francis is getting cut by Chinese pro teams and Marbury is eating vasaline and crying on webcams.

Comment

Working...
                              X