Page 101 of 132 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 2640

Thread: 2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Raptors Republic Starter WhatWhat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    But thats the one problem, is making the assumption that they agree adding Bargnani is 'improving' their front-court.
    ...A Bargnani-Love-Beasley frontcourt would literally be the worst defensive frontcourt of all time.

Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    A PG that needs to learn how to pass and run an offense. That doesn't sound so bad. Next we can draft a center who needs to learn how to rebound and play defense. Oh, wait...
    I think Tim you are focusing on the wrong part of Knight's game, or perhaps not seeing where he does have good value: as 6th man combo guard. A Bayless-Derozan-Knight rotation is solid (Bayless/Derozan, Knight/Derozan, Bayless/Knight), particularly as you can go small with Bayless, Knight and Derozan at the 1, 2 and 3 and still keep a good balance on the floor.

If you've got Knight, basically he's a Barbosa replacement, with the following differences: he's cheaper and younger, and in place of Barbosa's speed you've got Knight's defense. Knight's also a much better shooter. But both are 1/2 hybrids that are better as scorers than they are as a pure point.

I wouldn't mind actually drafting Knight at 5 as it allows the Raps to move Barbosa for a better piece. He's a better compliment to Bayless than Barbosa is, given the different look he brings (shooting, defense). Barbosa and Bayless are too similar to effectively play next to each other.

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A PG that needs to learn how to pass and run an offense. That doesn't sound so bad. Next we can draft a center who needs to learn how to rebound and play defense. Oh, wait...
    He's not a terrible passer or a good passer. If we draft him it'd be on the principle that he has all the physical tool and will develop. Worst case scenario we could always stick him at SG as he's a very good shooter.

Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WhatWhat wrote: View Post
    ...A Bargnani-Love-Beasley frontcourt would literally be the worst defensive frontcourt of all time.
    Without question. I can't think of 3 worse players to group together to "protect" the paint.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WhatWhat wrote: View Post
    I agree, but I think that Kahn, who wants to run a fast-paced team, is going to favor offense over defense, and we can sell him on Bargs' ability to run with Rubio and take passes from Love.

Also, if I were Minny, I would start Darko and Love, and have Bargs be the first big off the bench, a guy who can play with either of those forwards.

Post Thanks / Like

When rose came out of school he wasn't known for being a very good passer...
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

He still isn't, really.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Rookie BayCityBaller's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jk1m wrote: View Post
    Would it work on paper if we trade Bargnani + Calderon + TPE for Flynn + 2nd Pick???
    Only on rolling papers....

But seriously, The Raptors have one of the most difficult off-seasons in the NBA ahead of them. The majority of the team is on the block. The pg position, centre position and small forward position are completely uncertain. Derozan, Ed and Amir seem to be the only certainties on the roster and I think BC would trade any of them under the right circumstances (though I'd ask for his head if it's DD). The draft is a complete crapshoot. I love Kanter's toughness and versatility, but his athleticism is a big question mark on this team as it is currently built. Kemba has heart, but is way undersized. Knight showed promise..... as a chucker. Vesely is a terrific slasher, but has a tonne of development to do before he can become a valid rotation player.

I can't even fathom where BC and the gang go with this draft. My big focus is on FA this year. A lot of people want Gasol, and I completely agree with that pipe dream. I would love to see DeAndre Jordan. He is on his way up, a great shot blocker with major hops and a developing touch around the rim. I see him fitting very well with our current roster. I can see him being a Tyson Chandler type, a guy we all wish that we had last year. He is an RFA, so it may be the same situation presented with Gasol. At SF, I might take a flyer, at the right price, on Josh Howard. Though injured for the past few seasons, he doesn't have a lot of recent mileage and has shown the toughness and grit that a lot of our players (cough, cough, Derozan, cough) could get in their game to get to the next level.

Tough times in RapsLand, tough times indeed.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting 5th really sucks. The Raptors really need a center, and outside of Kanter I don't see one at least in this years draft (I really don't like Valanciunas). 2012 is even worst. I really don't see the Raptors acquiring a good center via FA or through trades. There just aren't too many. For a young team this is the perfect opportunity for them to draft and mold a center for the future.

So I think the number one priority for BC should be to try and swap the 5th pick with Minnesota's 2nd pick or Cleveland's 4th (which seems unlikely) and choose Kanter.

Walker and Knight are good, but not great. If the rumors are still true, and Minnesota wants to trade Flynn for Calderon then we don't need Walker or Knight. I could see Flynn winning an MIP award if he switches teams. I seriously think that the triangle is what has killed his game. Also if Jay comes back, then I think Jay would be a great coach for a PG like Flynn.

Personally I feel that if we can't get Kanter then we are going to be keeping Bargnani for another year.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
    I think Tim you are focusing on the wrong part of Knight's game, or perhaps not seeing where he does have good value: as 6th man combo guard. A Bayless-Derozan-Knight rotation is solid (Bayless/Derozan, Knight/Derozan, Bayless/Knight), particularly as you can go small with Bayless, Knight and Derozan at the 1, 2 and 3 and still keep a good balance on the floor.

If you've got Knight, basically he's a Barbosa replacement, with the following differences: he's cheaper and younger, and in place of Barbosa's speed you've got Knight's defense. Knight's also a much better shooter. But both are 1/2 hybrids that are better as scorers than they are as a pure point.

I wouldn't mind actually drafting Knight at 5 as it allows the Raps to move Barbosa for a better piece. He's a better compliment to Bayless than Barbosa is, given the different look he brings (shooting, defense). Barbosa and Bayless are too similar to effectively play next to each other.
    The Raptors won 22 games and have very little starting level talent. You think they should be drafting a combo guard whose future is as a 6th man with the 5th pick?

And a DeRozan-Bayless-Knight backcourt is one without a player that has any idea of how to run an offense. That doesn't excite me at all.

This reminds me of the argument over Avery Bradley, last year. It's not that I didn't like him as a player. It's that I didn't like him as a lottery pick. Brandon Knight might end up being a good rotation player, but at 5, I'd want to aim a little higher than that, and I see his game as too flawed to be that guy.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Starter MyMomLovesMe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do you guys think Kanter is going that high? I personally have my doubts, I have a feeling he will be around for our pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    He's not a terrible passer or a good passer. If we draft him it'd be on the principle that he has all the physical tool and will develop. Worst case scenario we could always stick him at SG as he's a very good shooter.
    I REALLY hate the idea of drafting a guy for the PG position and hoping he develops into one. The chances of that happening are miniscule. And Knight doesn't seem to have the personality to become a leader on the floor, which is a huge red flag for a PG. He's quiet and reserved. I just don't see him having the mental aspect to become a good PG. And as I said, at the 5 spot, you need to aim higher.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

This reminds me of the argument over Avery Bradley, last year. It's not that I didn't like him as a player. It's that I didn't like him as a lottery pick. Brandon Knight might end up being a good rotation player, but at 5, I'd want to aim a little higher than that, and I see his game as too flawed to be that guy.
    But isn't that really the problem with this draft: are there any really raw projects with huge upside? I have no problem with BC taking a flyer at #5 in this draft but I just don't know if there is a guy who fits the bill. Ironically, Knight might be one guy who is so young, so raw, such a project that he might actually be a 'let's roll the dice' kind of pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    But isn't that really the problem with this draft: are there any really raw projects with huge upside? I have no problem with BC taking a flyer at #5 in this draft but I just don't know if there is a guy who fits the bill. Ironically, Knight might be one guy who is so young, so raw, such a project that he might actually be a 'let's roll the dice' kind of pick.
    I just don't see Knight having much upside at all. Kanter (if available), Valanciunas, Vesely, Biyombo and Leonard all have much more upside, in my opinion. Knight has the physical tools, but for the PG position, I think that's not nearly as important. I think Bayless is probably a better prospect. He's got just as many physical tools as Knight, but as a better personality for a PG.
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
    Why do you guys think Kanter is going that high? I personally have my doubts, I have a feeling he will be around for our pick.
    I hope you are right.

Raptors Republic Starter MyMomLovesMe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...at-the-combine

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...ism-at-combine

Not sure if this has been posted, but I think the combine will give us a clearer picture.
    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Wed May 18th, 2011 at 02:03 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    According to ESPN twitter feeds (can't remember which guy), Minnesota has already stated that it is open to trading the #2 pick for veteran help...

I think Calderon & #5 pick for #2 pick would be a good trade that is fair for both teams. Toronto gets #2 overall pick and Minnesota gets a top-5 pick and a veteran PG to mentor Rubio
    The key word there is veteran HELP. Not veteran crap.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Rookie LeetGoose's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

NBA.com's Mock Draft. Very Interesting Choices. Il highlight a couple that stood out.http://www.nba.com/2011/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1

5 Toronto Raptors | Jan Vesely | F-C | Partizan Belgrade (Serbia)

Big man plays with passion and would allow Raptors to move Andrea Bargnani out to the perimeter more or less permanently.
    6 Washington Wizards | Markieff Morris | PF | Kansas

Wizards need a young three, but going for Texas' Jordan Hamilton here seems a little high. Better to go for a solid 4/5 here in Morris, who should be a good defender and rebounder in the pros.
    16 Philadelphia 76ers | Bismack Biyombo | F-C | Baloncesto Fuenlabrada (Spain)

Sixers aren't completely sold on any of their backup bigs, and the intriguing Biyombo -- who was the talk of the Nike Hoop Summit a few weeks ago -- already knows how to throw his weight around.
    21 Portland Trail Blazers | Kemba Walker | G | Connecticut

Well, Dick Vitale has to wail about someone slipping. Walker is certainly not the 21st-best player in the Draft, but he's a 6-foot-1 scoring guard, and those aren't in great demand in the pros. He can learn how to play the point in the 503 behind one of the best, Andre Miller.
    30 Chicago Bulls | Jimmer Fredette | G | BYU

Again, the Bulls may well be picking here for someone else. But Chicago could do worse than pick the ridiculously prolific Fredette, a highly skilled guard who can put the ball in the basket when Derrick Rose needs a blow.

Post Thanks / Like

I see Knight being compared to Chauncey Billups actually... Maybe this isn't the best year to take a guard, next draft has names like Rivers and Kabongo at the PG spot. Bayless is still just 22, maybe he breaks through, who knows, but generally when you draft a PG this high, it is usually a committal and a long-term solution.

Post Thanks / Like

They really have Vesely as a 5? That's nuts. I know the kid can play both the 3 and 4, but I don't think his body can absorb the punishment at the 5.

Page 101 of 132 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 ... LastLast

Thread Information