No announcement yet.

2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If we can't get Irving, I'm all for trading down. I'm also all for knight. Up till tonight I kind of mulled over which PG I liked second most and after that game against probably the favorites to win it all, I'm all aboard the Knight train. Dudes got it. One thing you can't teach is poise and he oozes it. Did you see how calm he was after hitting the game winner, getting back on defense? That's who I want running my team.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
      I really hope we trade down and pick up another pick somehow. The value at the top of the draft is weak.
      If we trade down, I'm all in for Knight, Walker or Faried.

Comment

• ha this draft is gonna be a joke, Barnes and Sullinger arent declaring if they lose the tourni.
        NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

• Sullinger not declaring: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6260339

Sitting in the Ohio State locker room following the top-seeded Buckeyes' 62-60 loss to Kentucky, the freshman said he would not be entering his name for the NBA draft and would return for his sophomore season.

"I'm going to be an Ohio State Buckeye next year," he said. "This isn't why I came here, to come in here and see my seniors in here crying. I came here to win a national championship."

Plenty of people make pledges in the rubble of an emotional loss only to change their mind later, when the sting and suddenness of the season fades and the promise of the NBA looms.

Sullinger, who had 21 points and 16 rebounds in his final game of the season, insists that won't happen.

"I'm a man of my word," Sullinger said. "I don't change my word and no one changes it for me. This is what I want."

Sullinger said he made the decision following the game, but coach Thad Matta said it's the message Sullinger has been sending to him all season.

"Oh he's been telling me that all along," Matta said. "And I believe it. He told me, draw me up a contract, whatever you need to do. I believe him when he says it."
          Did he not learn anything from Spoelestra and the HEAT about the crying?

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Sullinger not declaring: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6260339

Did he not learn anything from Spoelestra and the HEAT about the crying?
            Meh, we didnt' need a PF anyways and this is just going to make the top of the draft that much weaker. We should trade down.

Comment

• Do you guys think Brandon Knight would be an upgrade?

I was wondering the question. Do you think that Brandon Knight of Kentucky would be an upgrade? I mean if you'd have the choice between keeping Bayless as our future starting point guard or let this role go to Knight, what would you do?

Comment

• this one is hard for me because I saw the maui tourney when kemba destroyed him and now he has 2 big games in the NCAA tourney.

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                  I was wondering the question. Do you think that Brandon Knight of Kentucky would be an upgrade? I mean if you'd have the choice between keeping Bayless as our future starting point guard or let this role go to Knight, what would you do?
                  Yes, Knight is smarter and more athletic IMO.

Comment

• Brandon Knight can defend elite guards, he will lose one on one to UNC's Strickland in Elite 8 though.
                    Last edited by e2thed; Sat Mar 26, 2011, 01:29 PM.
                    NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

• Yo its frustrating for the Raps, but its also a bad decision for these top 5 picks to pull out like this...

MEMO to Sullinger: Sorry to break it to you buddy, but no one cares if Ohio State wins an NCAA Championship. (lol @ "my seniors were crying"...bro you met these guys a few months ago, what about your family?). You've already proven that you're good. That college tournament...some people win it, some dont. You're risking millions of dollars by going back for it.

(BTW can you imagine a top Law student turning down a mult-million dollar offer from a top Law firm because he wanted another go at the "National College Law Court Case Competition" ?)

Anyway if Barnes pulls out too, forget about trading down for B-Knight....he might be a decent pick at 4-6.

But again, Barnes would be crazy to pull out. Without DWilliams and Sullinger he is a guaranteed top 5 pick, and probably top 2 pick. So he would not be going back to increase his draft stock. He would be paying and risking millions of dollars for another shot at winning a NCAA championship.

Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Dwight, Durant...none of these guys won an NCAA tournament, who cares? Melo happened to win in the one year he was there, but I can guarantee you if he lost in the finals he wasn't going back for another shot LOL.
                      Last edited by Ruuuuu; Sat Mar 26, 2011, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• Sullinger is a fool to pull out. He's a lock for a top 3 pick and you can't tell me that team is going to be better next season.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Could guys dropping out of this years draft actually help the Raptors in the long run?

Sullinger is out, Derrick Williams has hinted that he will come back, Barnes is undecided, and Irving has hinted at coming out but is non-commital.

That is four very good players who may not be available in the draft this year. I would be suprised if both Barnes and Irving did not come out for the draft, at least one will most likely come out...hopefully both.

But with the season the Raptors have had, they will most likely have a top 5 pick (looking like Sacramento is about to pass the Raptors giving us the fourth worst record). The odds of the Raptors then picking in the top five spots is 83.2%:

First Pick: 11.9%
                          Second Pick: 12.6%
                          Third Pick: 13.3%
                          Fourth Pick: 9.9%
                          Fifth Pick: 35.5%

Look at the options the Raptors will still have in these picks: Irving/Barnes (if only one declares, both still might though), Kanter, Knight, Valanciunas, T. Jones, P. Jones, and Walker.

The raptors should still walk away with a strong player to add to the young core this year. Even if all of those players do not declare, the Raptors still have good options to choose from. The number of players choosing to return seems to affect the teams picking 6-10 the most.

The good news for the Raptors might continue too...after another year that we will most likely continue to struggle. Hopefully we will struggle less this coming year, but we will still most likely struggle. Leaving us another good pick for next year. Most likely though, we will improve and that will bring us out of the bottom five. Which is where it becomes a good thing that some guys are sticking around for another year of college.

Next year was already looking like a strong draft group, and is now looking even stronger. Names for next year?

Sullinger
                          Michael Gilchrist
                          Austin Rivers
                          Tristan Thompson
                          Myck Kabongo
                          James McAdoo
                          Tyler Zeller
                          Quincy Miller
                          Williams?
                          Barnes?
                          etc.

If the Raptors don't improve next year, then they can have their pick of pretty much anyone. If they Raptors do improve, they should still have a strong chance of adding a great talent.
                          http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• I'm huge on that SF in Michigan. I'm pretty sure he's staying and frankly he'll be better for it. With the talent next season and number of dudes staying we'd be able to get him even if he was in the 10-15 range.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Sullinger out

One less prospect to worry about.
                              http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6260339

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
                                Could guys dropping out of this years draft actually help the Raptors in the long run?

Sullinger is out, Derrick Williams has hinted that he will come back, Barnes is undecided, and Irving has hinted at coming out but is non-commital.

That is four very good players who may not be available in the draft this year. I would be suprised if both Barnes and Irving did not come out for the draft, at least one will most likely come out...hopefully both.

But with the season the Raptors have had, they will most likely have a top 5 pick (looking like Sacramento is about to pass the Raptors giving us the fourth worst record). The odds of the Raptors then picking in the top five spots is 83.2%:

First Pick: 11.9%
                                Second Pick: 12.6%
                                Third Pick: 13.3%
                                Fourth Pick: 9.9%
                                Fifth Pick: 35.5%

Look at the options the Raptors will still have in these picks: Irving/Barnes (if only one declares, both still might though), Kanter, Knight, Valanciunas, T. Jones, P. Jones, and Walker.

The raptors should still walk away with a strong player to add to the young core this year. Even if all of those players do not declare, the Raptors still have good options to choose from. The number of players choosing to return seems to affect the teams picking 6-10 the most.

The good news for the Raptors might continue too...after another year that we will most likely continue to struggle. Hopefully we will struggle less this coming year, but we will still most likely struggle. Leaving us another good pick for next year. Most likely though, we will improve and that will bring us out of the bottom five. Which is where it becomes a good thing that some guys are sticking around for another year of college.

Next year was already looking like a strong draft group, and is now looking even stronger. Names for next year?

Sullinger
                                Michael Gilchrist
                                Austin Rivers
                                Tristan Thompson
                                Myck Kabongo
                                James McAdoo
                                Tyler Zeller
                                Quincy Miller
                                Williams?
                                Barnes?
                                etc.

If the Raptors don't improve next year, then they can have their pick of pretty much anyone. If they Raptors do improve, they should still have a strong chance of adding a great talent.
                                Yes, next year looks to be a sick, wicked, and nasty draft. Next year will most likely be another rough season for Toronto. Hopefully the players association suggestion/comment of lottery teams picking only in the first round 1-14,15-28 with playoff teams picking twice in the second round becomes a reality.

Comment

Working...
                                X