Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
      Nice and once again, Myck Kabongo shows awesome skills and would love to pick him in next year's draft. He would love to be in Toronto (being from Toronto and, well he openly stated he wants to play for the Raptors).

Comment

• Assuming he declares. And assuming the raps can land him. And assuming he's better than irving/knight/kemba
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Did you see that old school hook by Kyle Wiltjer? Man I am looking forward to the U19 team for Canada this year.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• [spoiler]
            One of my favorite nights of the year for the past eight years or so has been the night of the McDonald's AA game. I've seen tape on many of the top prospects that would be in the game, but you can't really judge the primacy of stud players until you pit them against each other.

Some guys like O.J. Mayo will respond by jacking up 30+ shots at a horrible clip and ostracizing their teammates. Others, like Brad Buckman, will defer to the more talented and prestigious players and pick their spots on the night. The true megastars, like Kevin Durant, will fit seamlessly into the game and still put up huge numbers. Durant had 25 points in the game and was co-MVP with Chase Budinger, who, while good, really had no business being mentioned in the same sentence on that night.

That said, the most important thing I take from the game is how the player perceives himself with regards to his supposed peers. The next thing I look at is his skillset. The third thing is effort and the least important thing to me is stats. I honestly couldn't care less if UNC commit James McAdoo, who was hilariously named co-MVP with Kentucky commit Mike Gilchrist, hit one three and had a bunch of breakaway dunks to total 17 points.

Some player thoughts after the jump:

Myck Kabongo, PG, Texas: For those of you who only glanced at the stat lines and didn't watch the game or those who watched the game and were nonplussed, don't fear. You'll see a much more steady and under-control player when Kabongo is under Rick Barnes' keen eye. The stage and nature of the game certainly brought out the flair in Myck, who had some insane passes and showed off some astounding handle that had the crowd "ooohing" and "ahhhhing" in the opening minutes of the game.

But he also had five turnovers (I actually thought it was more), a few from overly-ambitious passes to teammates, a few from passes where he kind of just lobbed the ball to nobody in particular, and one where he tried to do some fancy behind-the-back move and just lost the ball. He was also 0-6 from the field, including two wide-open missed threes and a few easy missed layups.

Texas fans will be extremely happy to know that Myck nailed both his free throw attempts, his only two points of the game. I expect him to shoot at least 75% from the line next year. ESPN had him with five assists and six rebounds on their last stat run-through, which is generally what you're going to get from Myck—a stat-stuffing game and not too much scoring.

What I liked most about Myck was his mentality. He knew he belonged with the rest of the top players in the country and showed no fear in running the offense for his team and trying to break down (more like embarrass) the opposing guards that were covering him. Great confidence, solid poise, and didn't get upset when he messed up.

Anthony Davis, PF, Kentucky: Not sure if anybody remembers, but this kid created a real buzz right after he committed to Kentucky when it was rumored UK gave his father and him $200K for his signature. Well, from what I saw in that game, whatever they paid him clearly was not enough. Due to growing seven inches in the last year, Davis has good perimeter skills to complement his 6'10" height. He's finally starting to fill out and once he does, he'll be absolutely unstoppable. Good handle, decent shot, great athleticism, very good tenacity, stellar shotblocking ability, and a good feel for the game make his potential hard to envision. He was so much better than everybody else in the game and he's improving at an enormous rate. Comparisons to KG sound pretty much spot-on. He will almost assuredly be the number one pick in next year's NBA draft. Davis had 14 points.

Austin Rivers, SG, Duke: I've seen Rivers play nearly 10 times now, so I knew what to expect from Doc's most talented son. Deep range and a nasty pull-up jumper go well with his crafty dribbling ability, huge basketball IQ, and good finishing skills at the rim. He's only a good, not phenomenal, athlete though, so at only 6'3" he'll need to develop his point guard skills to excel at the next level. Will he be Chauncey Billups or O.J. Mayo? Austin had 14 points.

Khem Birch, PF, Pittsburgh: Surprisingly, Myck wasn't even the best Canadian in the game. That honor goes to Birch, who is generally tabbed as the tall, lanky, athletic guy who can block shots like bullet-proof vests but has a raw athletic game. Kid was all over the place in this game though, not only blocking shots, but also crashing the boards with alacrity (nine offensive rebounds). 10 points and 10 rebounds is a solid game for a young man that many scouts will be drooling over in next year's draft.

Bradley Beal, SG, Florida: I'm glad Beal had a really strong game because he was ice-cold when I saw his St. Louis Eagles AAU team take on Rivers' Winter Park team last year. Beal is often described as a Ray Allen-type player because he has a beautiful shot, but doesn't do much fancy stuff off the bounce. He's also capable of athletic finishes at the rim and rebounded well in this game. Beal had 17 points. Florida will have a crowded backcourt next year with Beal and Rutgers transfer Mike Rosario joining returning mighty mites Erving Walker and Kenny Boynton.

P.J. Hairston, SG, UNC: Hairston had 15 points and drained three DEEP threes, including one that looked like it was four or five feet behind the NBA arc. He's also a plus athlete and I like him more than Beal due to his better height (6'6" vs. 6'3/4"). Hairston should jump right into heavy minutes with the Heels, who desperately need his consistent shooting range.
            [/spoiler]

http://www.burntorangenation.com/201...bongo-thoughts

Anthony Davis sounds beastly, if he can be anything like KD I hope the Raps can pick him. (The first overall pick next season probably isn't likely though )

edit: How does this forum not have a spoiler tag?

Comment

• Thought Davis was a PF?
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                Thought Davis was a PF?
                PF/SF he can shoot 3s apparently.

Comment

• My bad, comparisons to Kevin garnett not KD.

BTW Did anyone else notice Barnes getting pulled from NBADrarft.net mock draft?

Comment

My bad, comparisons to Kevin garnett not KD.

BTW Did anyone else notice Barnes getting pulled from NBADrarft.net mock draft?
                    Yes, although he has not announced his decision and likely won't IMO until the deadline, he indicated he wanted to go back for another year and win a championship. A little foolish as he likely won't go as high nex year, but the sting of losing is driving him. We could use more players like that.

Comment

• I think if Bayless absolutely kills it these next 8 games, perhaps that will change our draft situation?

Comment

• chunkable wrote: View Post
                        I think if Bayless absolutely kills it these next 8 games, perhaps that will change our draft situation?
                        Not really. I don't see Bayless being more than a backup, him pwning in 8 meaningless games isn't really going to change my opinion.
                        Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Fri Apr 1, 2011, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• But outside of the top3 in the upcoming draft, there hardly is an order. I'm simply saying the idea of the "best available player" is partially dictated by the play of our own players.

Comment

• I think the Raptors next year, should finally listen to coach thorpe and put 'drea back on the bench where he belongs. He's offence and not enough defence.

So, that means my new top 5 draft board is something like this.

1. Kyrie Irving
                            2. Enes Kanter
                            3. Jonas Valanciunas
                            4. Perry Jones
                            5. Kawhi Leonard.
                            -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                            -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

• chunkable wrote: View Post
                              But outside of the top3 in the upcoming draft, there hardly is an order. I'm simply saying the idea of the "best available player" is partially dictated by the play of our own players.
                              Ya, I think they should draft the best player available IF we don't trade down.

Comment

• Are we under-rating Terrence Jones - the Kentucky Foward freshman?

I have noticed that everyone has relegated Terrence Jones to the background including me, my bad . Yes, Terrence Jones might not be able to score in bunches like Harrison Barnes or Derrick Williams - basically he is a role player not an alpha dog but he fills up the stat sheet a la Lamar Odom . We have a similar player to Terrence Jones on the Raptors, a glue guy who fills up the stat sheet in James Johnson except that Terrence Jones is better in that he makes 3 point shots at a decent clip . Imo, Terrence Jones will be best served on a team where he is not relied on for scoring rather should be viewed as a glue guy, he is a good fit for a team that has a scoring point guard or shooting guard averaging 23-25 ppg basically - Terrence Jones stat line in his prime imo will be 15 ppg, 7+ rpg, 2-3 apg, 2-3 spg. The question we should ask is that can DD average those kind of numbers to trade down in the draft to get Terrence Jones? That is the million dollar question, right now .

Comment

Working...
                                X