2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    Bargnani needs to be paired with a talented center. The Kings, Pistons and Bucks all have talented centers who play a more traditional game. Two out of the three have been in multiple rumors linked to potentially trading their pick. I don't care about how they use him, that's not my problem. You act as though the guy is a plague that no one would want. Fact is he's been in the line of fire from day one in Toronto and has handled himself admirably off the court. He's a talented scorer, who is still young and is very big. Teams looking for scoring punch, who have a strong big man and who think they can improve his weaknesses would probably be interested. FYI, the Bucks had the worst offense in the league last season.
    I think the Bucks would be a good fit for Bargnani. Next to Dwight Howard, who else is better to have to hide Bargnani's weakness? Too bad Toronto missed it's chance with Chandler.
    Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

• Colangelo doesn't care about mocks

“I don’t really care if someone doesn’t have (raw Congolese teenaged centre) Bismack Biyombo on the board at five, I’ll consider him if he’s the right pick for this team and the right talent and we project him out the right way,” Colangelo said, discussing his draft options after introducing Dwane Casey as the team’s new coach.

“Same with (San Diego State forward) Kawhi Leonard. You don’t see him mentioned at five often, maybe at seven, but at the end of the day, you do what you think is right for your team and what’s right based on the years of experience and judgment you put into this.”
      Source: Thestar.com

Comment

• Just watch TSN. They have in-depth analysis three days leading up to the draft, including broadcasting all day the day of the draft. They even have a trade deadline day show where all they do is sit and talk about potential trades.

Wait, thats hockey.

Comment

• Tonight, tonight

Big step in hopefully the right direction. Whether we get Knight, Kemba, Leonard or Biyombo, it feels like our core is really starting to take shape.

Who knows, maybe 3 years from now we'll look back and say this is the draft we took ________ and built something great.

Tonight can't come fast enough.

Godspeed, Bryan.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Beaverboi wrote: View Post
            Just watch TSN. They have in-depth analysis three days leading up to the draft, including broadcasting all day the day of the draft. They even have a trade deadline day show where all they do is sit and talk about potential trades.

Wait, thats hockey.
            I actually laughed out loud when reading this.

Comment

• Kemba or nothing

We either pick Kemba Walker or nothing. My instincts just tell me Walker can turn this franchise around. He's a proven winner and he has great talent and great personality. Plus this guy fits raptors as well. If you think Brandon Knight is the guy, I want to know why? This guy seems so quiet. Maybe he has better talent than walker. But which guy do you think that can turn this franchise around and be the leader to this team?

Comment

That would be excellent if the Raptors could go fetch another pick. Sounds like Jameer Nelson all over again. None of this will matter to Kemba in five years when he's proven the critics wrong.
                While I obviously have a lot of questions about Kemba that would make me hesitate to take him at 5, if he slips down out of the top ten, it would be fantastic if the Raptors can trade for a pick and scoop him up. I just wonder hat they'd have to give up.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• raptors4ever wrote: View Post
                  We either pick Kemba Walker or nothing. My instincts just tell me Walker can turn this franchise around. He's a proven winner and he has great talent and great personality. Plus this guy fits raptors as well. If you think Brandon Knight is the guy, I want to know why? This guy seems so quiet. Maybe he has better talent than walker. But which guy do you think that can turn this franchise around and be the leader to this team?
                  With so many questions about EVERY prospect, I would like to know how you can be SO sure that Kemba is the only choice. There is only one thing I know for sure about this draft, regarding the Raptors, and that's that I don't have a definite opinion about ANY of the prospects.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Bargnani needs to be paired with a talented center. The Kings, Pistons and Bucks all have talented centers who play a more traditional game. Two out of the three have been in multiple rumors linked to potentially trading their pick. I don't care about how they use him, that's not my problem. You act as though the guy is a plague that no one would want. Fact is he's been in the line of fire from day one in Toronto and has handled himself admirably off the court. He's a talented scorer, who is still young and is very big. Teams looking for scoring punch, who have a strong big man and who think they can improve his weaknesses would probably be interested. FYI, the Bucks had the worst offense in the league last season.
                    Thanks for your answer; 2 of the 3 teams you mentioned I had already agreed would be a good fit for Bargs. I still don't see the Pistons as a destination for him, as they seem to want to build another team based on Defense, and they've got a lot of $$ tied up already.

Also, I take exception to you saying "You act as though the guy is a plague that no one would want." I recognize that Bargs is a very talented offensive player, and could even get better offensively. The only thing I questioned about your original statement (sigh) is that I doubted that one of the other 8 teams in the top 10 would give up their #1 pick (+ matching salaries) to aquire Bargs. Also, don't think that I don't know that the Raps offense would take a big step back if Bargs was traded.

Comment

• The only time Bargnani's name ever came up in the media for a trade involving a draft pick was 2007. There was a rumor that Colangelo wanted Yi Jianlian but the Bucks, who were sitting at #6 and were taking him, wanted Bargnani in exchange. Colangelo wouldn't do it then of course; had had only taken the big man 1st overall the year before. So in 2007, before Bargnani had even proven he could do anything well, he could have drawn in the 6th overall pick straight up. Last season he may have proven himself to be a second tier scorer.

I gave you three teams who have been rumored to be looking to potentially deal their pick. Those are three trade partners with established traditional centers to pair him with. In Detroit's couple glory years last decade they had a sweet shooting big man who could drain shots from anywhere. Sheed no doubt was a far, far, far superior defender to Bargnani but again I go back to the idea of Bargnani never having a strong, established coach who was good at teaching D. We don't know what Detroit is looking for in terms offense but I'm willing to bet it's not Charlie V and he's out of town as soon as they can convince someone like the Magic or Suns to make another stupid trade.

Comment

I gave you three teams who have been rumored to be looking to potentially deal their pick. Those are three trade partners with established traditional centers to pair him with. In Detroit's couple glory years last decade they had a sweet shooting big man who could drain shots from anywhere. Sheed no doubt was a far, far, far superior defender to Bargnani but again I go back to the idea of Bargnani never having a strong, established coach who was good at teaching D. We don't know what Detroit is looking for in terms offense but I'm willing to bet it's not Charlie V and he's out of town as soon as they can convince someone like the Magic or Suns to make another stupid trade.
                        I feel like we're circling each other in a boxing ring.
                        Your point about Bargs and the Yi trade is a good one, and the only counter to that point is that Bargs was on his rookie deal at the time, and is now extended at $10M/per, and that makes him a little harder to trade.

Regarding Det, they do have a young, developing 5 to pair with Bargs, and on paper, the 2 of them together do sound good (also taking into account some better coaching in Det for Bargs). My counter (again) is that Det is (almost) capped out, has a number of overvalued players on long-term deals, and may not want to pick up his salary, especially if it means including a skilled rookie on a controlable salary (2011 first rd pick).

If Det was to offer their pick for Bargs, who do you want to see coming the other in the trade (to match salaries)?

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                          With so many questions about EVERY prospect, I would like to know how you can be SO sure that Kemba is the only choice. There is only one thing I know for sure about this draft, regarding the Raptors, and that's that I don't have a definite opinion about ANY of the prospects.
                          I'm not saying he's the only choice, all i'm saying is pick kemba if he's still their at 5 because this guy showed everyone he's a winner. Raptors have a quiet locker room and looking at this guy interviewing and talking to other players makes me think that this guy is special. When I saw brandon knight's interview after his workout with the raptors and other teams he worked out for, this guy doesnt seem as exciting as kemba. Kemba has that special ingredient that all special players have. He fits this team better than any other player in the draft. Plus if BC is trying to get raptors into the playoffs before his 2 year contract expires, this pick will be great for this team. Brandon knight, enes kanter and other guys are project players. This guy can just come in and play right now at NBA standard.

Comment

I'm not saying he's the only choice, all i'm saying is pick kemba if he's still their at 5 because this guy showed everyone he's a winner. Raptors have a quiet locker room and looking at this guy interviewing and talking to other players makes me think that this guy is special. When I saw brandon knight's interview after his workout with the raptors and other teams he worked out for, this guy doesnt seem as exciting as kemba. Kemba has that special ingredient that all special players have. He fits this team better than any other player in the draft. Plus if BC is trying to get raptors into the playoffs before his 2 year contract expires, this pick will be great for this team. Brandon knight, enes kanter and other guys are project players. This guy can just come in and play right now at NBA standard.
                            I understand your point, but the Raptors need far more than just a leader in the lockerroom. They're a 22 win team and what they need is the best player for the next 5-10 years, not the best player next season. If Kemba's going to be that guy, then fine, but I think the very last thing they need to worry about is who is going to help them most and who is going to fill the leadership void for next season. They need to be thinking longterm.
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                              I understand your point, but the Raptors need far more than just a leader in the lockerroom. They're a 22 win team and what they need is the best player for the next 5-10 years, not the best player next season. If Kemba's going to be that guy, then fine, but I think the very last thing they need to worry about is who is going to help them most and who is going to fill the leadership void for next season. They need to be thinking longterm.
                              This guy reminds me of allen iverson which means kemba can, not only play at the top level next season but for the next 5-10 years. He has that talent and im just going with my instincts, i just feel that this man can do something special. It would be a great pick if toronto gets him but as the draft gets closer a lot of people are going with biyombo and knight. These guys can play ball too but kemba is special talent that you cant miss.

Comment

This guy reminds me of allen iverson which means kemba can, not only play at the top level next season but for the next 5-10 years. He has that talent and im just going with my instincts, i just feel that this man can do something special. It would be a great pick if toronto gets him but as the draft gets closer a lot of people are going with biyombo and knight. These guys can play ball too but kemba is special talent that you cant miss.
                                So because a player REMINDS you of another player he can play at a top level? That's not quite how it works. Partly because Iverson was a very rare player. Walker reminds ME of Damon Stoudamire, a ball dominating, low efficient scoring PG who never was able to find a niche on a team where he wasn't the best player and was simply not good enough to lead a team anywhere as the best player. Does that mean THAT'S Walker's future?

Truth be told, there aren't any can't miss players in this draft. None. If Walker really is going to be what you think he's going to be, I'm pretty sure other scouts and GMs would see it and take him in the top 3. Personally, I think he's going to be a decent player, but not an All-Star. But that's just a guess.
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X