No announcement yet.

2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Report: Enes Kanter (HoopsWorld)

Raptor Report: Prospect Watch - Enes Kanter

By Steve Loung, Contributing Editor

Toronto, Canada (Sports Network) - After another season without a playoff
    berth, there isn't a whole lot for Toronto Raptors fans to get excited about
    when it comes to their team.

One thing Raps fans can perk up for, however, is the NBA Draft Lottery.

Taking place on May 17, the lottery could bring about renewed hope to the
    team's frustrated fan base. Toronto is most likely to receive the third
    overall pick and although this draft is slated to be one of the weaker ones in
    recent history, that doesn't mean there won't be options for the Raptors to
    improve themselves given their position near the top of the board.

For the next few weeks this space will explore some of the potential prospects
    that Toronto will set its sights on and what that player will be able to do
    for the team.

Enes Kanter

Coming in at 6-foot-10 with a 7-foot-1 wingspan and weighing 255 pounds,
    Kanter is projected to be the best center in the draft because of his
    legitimate size, strength and soft scoring touch. And even though his skill
    set is extremely desirable, the major concern around him is not a lot of
    people have actually seen him play.

This past college season, Kanter was supposed to be one of John Calipari's
    star freshmen for Kentucky but, unfortunately, he was deemed ineligible to
    play by the NCAA because of paid benefits he received while playing
    professionally in Turkey.

He has managed to stay busy despite being unable to play any organized
    competition by working out with Kentucky's assistants and his basketball IQ
    may have even improved as he was an acting student-assistant coach for the
    Wildcats this season. There shouldn't be any conditioning concerns when he
    begins draft workouts but an entire season away from the court certainly
    hurts.

In spite of this step back, however, the big man is still being projected as a
    top-five pick in most mock drafts with him most commonly being selected third
    overall - right where the Raptors are slated to pick.

The reason for this is because of what Kanter has shown to be able to do when
    he's on the floor. During the 2010 Nike Hoop Summit he dominated the game with
    a record 34-point, 13-rebound performance to lead the International squad over
    the United States.

He might be a little undersized but the tools he possesses more than makes up
    for it. Scouts say that Kanter is a fantastic rebounder with great timing and
    strength. His offensive game is very diverse in that he has multiple post
    moves with the strength to finish after taking a hit, is capable of knocking
    down mid-range jumpers, and is an excellent passer.

The Raptors wouldn't be amiss to select Kanter given all the positives he
    could bring to the team such as some much needed toughness because of his
    gritty play style. He loves contact and, unlike other bangers in the league,
    he comes with skills that make him an actual offensive threat.

His shooting touch makes for an interesting option in the pick-and-pop and
    because he's an excellent passer he'll be able to create offense from his
    post-ups down low.

As much good that Kanter can do for Toronto, there is danger in picking him.
    The Raptors have already invested quite a bit in their current center Andrea
    Bargnani, a defensive liability. Basketball-wise, that sounds like a pretty
    good idea but, economically, it might not be feasible unless the franchise can
    move Bargnani.

Kanter's style might also conflict with the way Toronto is building right now.
    All of the young players on the team share the common trait of athleticism and
    even though Kanter is a decent athlete, he's not at the same level as the
    other Raptor big men like Amir Johnson and Ed Davis.

Overall, Kanter is a good looking prospect for Toronto even if he doesn't fit
    perfectly into what its trying to do. Given his projected draft spot and where
    the Raptors will most likely choose, Bryan Colangelo and company will be hard
    pressed to find someone better.

04/25 14:07:31 ET

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/TheWireSto...#ixzz1Ka8kUxeC
    Enes Kanter

Comment

• i wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the day, he legitimately makes the draft a three man race. the more i read about him, with his supposed skill-set, position and size, there's no reason that a solid showing in work-outs (health and physical state) wouldn't be able to push him above irving or williams on some draft boards.

Comment

• 8 Names to Know for the Draft: HoopsWorld

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=19567

Malcolm Lee
        E'Twuan Moore
        Reggie Jackson
        Gilbert Brown
        Nikola Vucevic
        David Lightly
        DeAndre Liggins
        JaJuan Johnson

Comment

• funkie wrote: View Post
          i wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the day, he legitimately makes the draft a three man race. the more i read about him, with his supposed skill-set, position and size, there's no reason that a solid showing in work-outs (health and physical state) wouldn't be able to push him above irving or williams on some draft boards.
          I agree. He could very well turn into another Pau Gasol and make this 2001 instead of 2011.

Comment

• Walker at 2? Derozan at 3?

First off I hope this doesn't get moved to the Who should we draft sticky becuase i dont think it is about drafting Walker as much as it is about our possible future. If the mods disagree than feel free to move it.

What do people think of drafting Walker, trying him out at PG for a season. If that doesn't work than we can dedicate the season to bulking Derozan up, move him to the 3 and move Walker to the two. Then we can draft Kabongo or another strong pg next season. If he does work at PG then we have a future PG and can put Derozan at the 2 or 3 depending on who we then decide to draft, or add by free agency. We try Walker at 1 and derozan at 2, see how well they play together, and give them a fre odd minutes at 2 and 3. Ease their way in if that is the direction we want to go.

What do you guys think about this?

Kabongo
            Walker
            Derozan
            Amir
            Davis

We have three solid wing players and two solid big guys in the back. We can run, score, rebound and play defence.
            Would you guys be willing to take a risk on Walker if something like this were to happen?

Comment

• Walker is way too small and not a strong enough shooter to play the two in the league. He's likely to be drafted in the 10-15 range so it's probably not an option unless the Raps get a second pick in the lottery.

Plus I'm not sure why you'd want to move Derozan to the three when he'd be undersized and likely overwhelmed. Finally, there's no guarantee we'd be able to get Kabongo next summer.

Comment

• Many people said they would like him at the three if he could bulk up more. I think it is possible but since we dont a antoher SG this is not a need. However, if we wanted Walker to be our 2, I think Derozan could become a 3 and defend them well.

Kabongo was only an example, since as of right now i have heard he is supposed to go around the 10th pick.

depending on the Mock Draft and the team choosing I have seen Walker go up to the 5. If Kanters knees dont check out Walker could move to fourth, therefore if we drop at all (fairly likely) he would be exaclty where we pick and exactly what we need, a Pg that can lead our team. Since some people said he wasn't enpugh of a passer for a Pg and is more of a Sg, I thought about him at 2 and Derozan at 3.

I am not suggesting this, I am just wondering what other people think about this.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
                  Walker is way too small and not a strong enough shooter to play the two in the league. He's likely to be drafted in the 10-15 range so it's probably not an option unless the Raps get a second pick in the lottery.

Plus I'm not sure why you'd want to move Derozan to the three when he'd be undersized and likely overwhelmed. Finally, there's no guarantee we'd be able to get Kabongo next summer.
                  actually i don't think he'd be undersized he's 6'7 which is perfect for a sf he needs to get stronger though.

Comment

• I hope there's some other Walker in the draft than Kemba that this thread was started about ... seriously ...

By NBA Standards Kemba is borderline too small to play PG ... SG? Good luck guarding Brandon Roy, Joe Johnson, Dwayne Wade, Kobe, Manu, etc - at barely 6 feet in shoes.
                    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

• if your going to draft a pg and tell him to play sg you should draft brandon knight atleast he would be competent there

Comment

• Walker is short even by PG standards, much less SG.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• another person making useless threads... i do agree that demar should be a 3
                          "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

• Take a look at how having a small backcourt helps Golden State defensively. You're just asking for trouble. You don't want to handicap yourself defensively, like that, especially when the payoff for it isn't that big.

As for DeRozan at the 3, I think he's way too slight, right now, and 6'7 is on the small side for a SF nowadays.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• DeRozan get the benefit of an extra inch and a half boost on his height, so he is a small 6'7", where someone like Chase Budiger who measured out at 6'6.25" get listed at 6'7", that is a .75" difference. I know people make the argument that you play in shoes and it does not matter how tall you are flat footed, I am just pointing out that 6'7" if different across the board.

As for Kemba at the 2, please God no!
                              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Better lineup (even though I don't want them drafting a PG over Bismack Biyombo).

Kabongo
                                Knight
                                Derozan
                                Amir
                                Davis

That should work. I always wanted Demar to be put at 3 since he can't play SG (ie shoot) but IDK about Davis playing C...

Comment

Working...
                                X