2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    No, he is not that type of player. He is not as fast or explosive. He is coming in to the league with an already developed jump shot something those guys, especially Rose, did not have. If you are looking for a comparison to a current NBA player, the one I've seen the most is Chris Paul.
    I'd say he's more like Mike Conley, except for less speed and better floor general skills.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
      I'd say he's more like Mike Conley, except for less speed and better floor general skills.
      Everyone is entitled to an opinion but most of the stuff I've read puts Irving as the only player with a real shot at being a franchise player.

Comment

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but most of the stuff I've read puts Irving as the only player with a real shot at being a franchise player.
        Definitely everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I never said otherwise. I just think the Chris Paul comparison, at least for me, just doesn't add up. When Paul was at Wake Forrest, he was an absolute force. He was explosive, extremely fast, he was a ball hawk on D, a marksman from 3. Now Irving is a floor general the way Paul was, but he's nowhere near as explosive on offense or defense as Paul was coming out of Wake. But that's just my opinion.

Comment

• The LAST thing the Raptors should do in this draft is draft a PG or a big

Ok bare with me on this one...

Obviously if Kyrie Irving is available we should take him, however with his injury/uncertainty of the CBA i dont think he will enter the draft. Even if he does declare, lets look at the teams ahead of us and what they need

1. Cleveland - They need everything, I dont see them passing up on a potential franchise PG unless they just want to sell tickets buy drafting an OSU product in Sullinger

2. Minnesota - Does Khan really have the balls to draft another PG? I think so, especially if he is able to move Flynn and with the drafting of Irving would make Rubio expendable and he would finally get what he wants (not playing in Minnesota)

3. Sacramento - They have been looking for a long time for a true PG to put beside Evans, plus they are pretty deep at most other positions.

4. Washington - Would be the team most likely to pass on him because of the drafting of Wall last year

Now assuming Irving does not declare this year, i think that picking any other PG that is supposed to come out this year would be a mistake (Freddette, Walker, Knight or Selby) because the crop of PG the following year IMO is a lot better with Irving, Kabongo, Teague, Cory Joseph and others)

As for bigs, I really like our depth at the bigs, Bargs has improved (although a lot of work still needs to be done defensively) and so has Amir. Ed Davis has shown a lot and will need more minutes next year to continue to develop. So i don't see where the minutes would come for a high drafted big would fit into Jay's rotation.

IMO i think our biggest need is wing scoring and defense and that is available in this draft. There is Terrance Jones who is a big 6'9 SF who rebounds scores and is built to be able to defend the best SF in the NBA (not saying he will be able to right away, just looking at his frame) There is Perry Jones who people compare to Tracey McGrady in Kevin Durant's frame, Harrison Barnes who was the #1 recruit out of high school and Derrick Williams who efficiency this year has been unreal.

Just my views, what do you guys think?

Comment

• Madman wrote: View Post

Obviously if Kyrie Irving is available we should take him, however with his injury/uncertainty of the CBA i dont think he will enter the draft. Even if he does declare, lets look at the teams ahead of us and what they need

1. Cleveland - They need everything, I dont see them passing up on a potential franchise PG unless they just want to sell tickets buy drafting an OSU product in Sullinger

2. Minnesota - Does Khan really have the balls to draft another PG? I think so, especially if he is able to move Flynn and with the drafting of Irving would make Rubio expendable and he would finally get what he wants (not playing in Minnesota)

3. Sacramento - They have been looking for a long time for a true PG to put beside Evans, plus they are pretty deep at most other positions.

4. Washington - Would be the team most likely to pass on him because of the drafting of Wall last year

Now assuming Irving does not declare this year, i think that picking any other PG that is supposed to come out this year would be a mistake (Freddette, Walker, Knight or Selby) because the crop of PG the following year IMO is a lot better with Irving, Kabongo, Teague, Cory Joseph and others)

As for bigs, I really like our depth at the bigs, Bargs has improved (although a lot of work still needs to be done defensively) and so has Amir. Ed Davis has shown a lot and will need more minutes next year to continue to develop. So i don't see where the minutes would come for a high drafted big would fit into Jay's rotation.

IMO i think our biggest need is wing scoring and defense and that is available in this draft. There is Terrance Jones who is a big 6'9 SF who rebounds scores and is built to be able to defend the best SF in the NBA (not saying he will be able to right away, just looking at his frame) There is Perry Jones who people compare to Tracey McGrady in Kevin Durant's frame, Harrison Barnes who was the #1 recruit out of high school and Derrick Williams who efficiency this year has been unreal.

IF Irving is not available, I agree with your post 100%. Luckily the only thing this draft is semi deep in at the top is wings.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
              Definitely everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I never said otherwise. I just think the Chris Paul comparison, at least for me, just doesn't add up. When Paul was at Wake Forrest, he was an absolute force. He was explosive, extremely fast, he was a ball hawk on D, a marksman from 3. Now Irving is a floor general the way Paul was, but he's nowhere near as explosive on offense or defense as Paul was coming out of Wake. But that's just my opinion.
              I know you didn't say otherwise regarding opinion - it was more of a lead in

You may very well be right regarding the comparison with Paul. I'm just not good with the Conley comparison!

Comment

• I'd take it a couple steps further, and say that the last thing we should do in this draft is take a C, PF, SG, or PG*.

*unless Irving is available.

We're well set at PF, and there are not many good PFs available except for Perry Jones (potential SF) and Sullinger anyway. Our best emerging player is at SG, and there isn't a talented SG in the draft until Alec Burks (Draftexpress has him at 18).

Meanwhile, at SF, there's Jones, Williams, Barnes, Jones, Henson, Leonard, Hamilton, Vesely, Singleton. I'd be shocked if we didn't end up with one of those guys; as to their order, it's really hard to say until we see the NCAA tournament and hear who's declaring.

Comment

• if not irving, kanter

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                    I'd take it a couple steps further, and say that the last thing we should do in this draft is take a C, PF, SG, or PG*.
                    Drafting based on need instead of drafting based on talent is how teams draft guys like Hoffa high in the lotto...

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                      Drafting based on need instead of drafting based on talent is how teams draft guys like Hoffa high in the lotto...
                      Yeah, but in my post I stated that it was as much about players available as on organizational need. I don't want the Raptors to take a SG because there is not a SG in this draft who has any real upside. And I believe the same is true of the PF position. Other than Irving, most of the high-end talent and upside in this draft is SF, and that just happens to be the position we most need to fill.

Comment

• Should The Raptors Draft Irving?

There aren't any other good PG's in the Draft that i know of. If we get the chance should we Draft Irving?

Comment

• Raptors_ wrote: View Post
                          There aren't any other good PG's in the Draft that i know of. If we get the chance should we Draft Irving?
                          Absolutely with 100% certainty yes.

Comment

Absolutely with 100% certainty yes.
                            I hope and pray that we get Irving. If we don't we are doomed, Jose has some amazing nights with 10+ Assists, but he can't score anymore. Bayless is just an undersized SG, shoot first pass later.

Comment

• Madman wrote: View Post

We got James Johnson now and he can Defend and can create his own shot. We need a PG wth r u talkin bout. Calderon is playing terribly on offence and Bayless is a shoot first pass later PG who doesn't involve his teammates very often.

Comment

• If we can't get Irving we should get Jimmer. He has arguably the most "star" power in this draft.

Comment

Working...
                                X