2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Lietuvos Rytas:
    "He has a very good basketball IQ, he's tough, he can score, and over the last two years he has made the kind of jump you're looking for. He can shoot, but he can also be a traditional back-to-the-basket center, the way you like centers to be. He's different from [the Raptors' Andrea] Bargnani in that he's a legitimate post player.''
    Ha, and here I thought Barney was 2 Legit 2 Quit
    What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Comment

• Irving, Perry J, Or Derrick

with this season virtually over with, its most likely we will get a top 5 pick,

Assuming we get a Top 3 pick here are the players most likely to be a Raptor

Kyrie Irving - %70 -- Jose is probably trade bait, we need a young PG

Derrick Williams - %10 -- mock drafts compare him to Beasley, dont want that

Perry Jones - %20 -- alot of skills, lanky forward, comparison (Young T-Mac) but do we really need him since we got Demar, Sonny, Ed etc.

Comment

• Also, why are people so excited about the TWO 1st round picks? Isn't the second one Miami's, and thus going to be in the bottom 5 of the 1st round?

Thats no big deal, you're aiming for a role player in those draft spots.

Many people even argue that because of the guaranteed contracts, really late 1st round picks are actually worse than 2nd round picks. In the 2nd round you can get the same caliber of player, even take a flyer on some guy with more potential, and with no guaranteed contract.
        Last edited by Ruuuuu; Mon Feb 7, 2011, 02:06 AM.

Comment

• I say we get Irving or whoever the best guy is on the board (excluding PFs we already have a lot of them).
          Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Mon Feb 7, 2011, 02:40 AM.

Comment

• I think the raps need to make sure they get a productive player, and hopefully 2, out of the draft. If they don't get the top 3 in this weak draft they need to go for a reliable, consistent performer that fills a need on the roster. Luckily BC will go for upside and the raps will likely be in the lottery next year too, which ultimately would probably benefit the franchise given that what they really need is the kind of franchise player that can drag this mostly mediocre group through the first couple of rounds until real help arrives.

Comment

• I was sure that Harrison Barnes was the consensus number 1 pick. Kyrie is injured right now so that could hurt his stock. I also like Jared Sullinger of Ohio State.

Comment

• Irving would be a best case scenario for us. That would also mean trading Jose eventually, might as well trade him for a early teens pick, that would leave us with 3 first rounders. That would be a quick start to the rebuilding process, because this season wasn't a REBUILDING season yet and it truly will never be until the draft. The key to starting a rebuild is drafting high, we're on the path to that road but until then, we're just developing whatever young players we have, while also analyzing what we have with Bargnani.

Comment

• Ruuuuu wrote: View Post
                  Also, why are people so excited about the TWO 1st round picks? Isn't the second one Miami's, and thus going to be in the bottom 5 of the 1st round?

Thats no big deal, you're aiming for a role player in those draft spots.

Many people even argue that because of the guaranteed contracts, really late 1st round picks are actually worse than 2nd round picks. In the 2nd round you can get the same caliber of player, even take a flyer on some guy with more potential, and with no guaranteed contract.
                  Taj Gibson, George Hill, Aaron Brooks, Rudy Fernandez, Wilson Chandler, Kyle Lowry, etc. not star players but definitely good role players. And in a team like this, they will get their minutes.

Comment

• ..Irving, Perry J, Or Derrick

Since Jose is probably on his way on decline... The need is a PG and the best available would be Kyrie Irving! He plays like a Rondo/Derrick rose. And coached by one of the best in college in Coach K! I say if the raps dont make a pitch to somehow get Rubio with the Trade Exception, then get Irving for the Draft! Best fit, best player IMO. Perfect fit for the team.

Comment

• Irving would be my first choice, he fills the most important position of need going forward for this team, Jose won't be here for ever. The other players currently at the top of the draft board seem to be all power forwards and centers. Perry Jones is not a 3, he is a 4 in the NBA, a very mobile one, but a 4. I see a little KG in his game with his movements and ability around the hoop. Derrick Williams is a 4, Sullinger is a 4. If we are going forward with Ed Davis and Amir as bigs do we add another young bigman to the mix?
                      Barnes has turned the corner over the last 2 weeks and is showing why he was projected to go high in the draft, he may be back in the top 5 by the end of the season, and a legit small forward would be nice to have.
                      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• i like terrence jones around the 3-5 pick. He looks like the real deal at the 3 position. WHich in my oppinion is our weakest position. Kleiza and wright aren't considered quality threes. Point guard is a position of need for a big time athete, we have one highly skilled point in Caledron and a semi atheletic bayless. So either we get a rose/westbrook style point guard or we go with another position.

Comment

• moe_shuttlesworth wrote: View Post
                          with this season virtually over with, its most likely we will get a top 5 pick,

Assuming we get a Top 3 pick here are the players most likely to be a Raptor

Kyrie Irving - %70 -- Jose is probably trade bait, we need a young PG

Derrick Williams - %10 -- mock drafts compare him to Beasley, dont want that

Perry Jones - %20 -- alot of skills, lanky forward, comparison (Young T-Mac) but do we really need him since we got Demar, Sonny, Ed etc.
                          Developing Perry Jones at the SF spot would be the best look for the Raptors going forward. And what makes you think that Sonny Weems will get another contract here at the end of the year? The only reason I can see Colangelo even making him an offer is because Kleiza just had microfracture surgery. We really have to strengthen the team at the wing positions, in all these years, we still haven't done anything to replace Vince and T-Mac

Comment

• Careful What You Wish For...

Well for all those people who would be angry is the Raptors were to play well down the stretch this says it all:
                            "This is not a year to have the No. 1 pick in the draft," a team president said.

Added a team executive with a successful track record in the draft: "I can't tell you who the top-five picks are. I don't see how anyone in this group can be distinguished right now."
                            I've yet to hear a scout decry this as a bad draft. For teams picking outside the top four or five, there will be opportunities to steal a player who can contribute to the rotation or may even bloom to become, in hindsight, the best talent in the draft. There aren't necessarily any great players, but there are a lot of good prospects.

"That's why I could see one of those NFL-formula trades, where a team trades Nos. 3 and 31 for Nos. 17, 21 and 29," a team executive said. "This could be the year to trade back like that."
                            Source: SI.com

Sounds like the class of 2006 to me.

Comment

• moe_shuttlesworth wrote: View Post
                              You've basically just listed all the reasons why we SHOULD draft him. Not ONE of those players is a decent SF. Perry Jones would answer more of a need for us than Kyrie Irving would. In my opinion.
                              Having a savvy Vet PG who can dish 19 assists and still hit a 3 if a FINE PG to have on a young team; in my books.

Comment

• ^ ur talking about calderon right?..lol

Comment

Working...
                                X