2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    Bayless is not the future PG for this team, the dude is an upgrade over Jack, that's it. Both their ceilings are good to great back-up point guards.

This team is going for a 25years and younger core group. Calderon is 29 and injury prone, Bayless and Barbosa can't be your starting point-guards. And the 2011 free agent season, is poor for point-guards.

This team doesn't necessarily need an all-star point guard, just a point guard with a higher ceiling than Calderon.
    BC knows Bayless' game. He watched him in high school and knows his family. I wonder with his speed and quickness he envisions Bayless as the Raptors future Barbosa i.e. lightning quick back up PG off the bench.

Comment

2011 Draft Lottery: Who do the Raptors take??

I think drafting by position is a bad idea, and most people would agree that you draft the best player available rather than by position.

That said, in 2010 people knew it was highly likely BC would be drafting a power forward, and the year before it was pretty obvious he would be taking a wing player.

I submit that this team can be competitive sooner than later if (assuming we draft in the top 8 next year) we have the opportunity to draft a 2 or a 3 who can shoot, and create off the dribble, which are skills that are lacking in our current starting 5.

Prior to this season, a lot of Raps fans rightly complained that Barney and Jose would not be starting quality players on contending teams in the NBA. This is probably true, but I would argue our need for an elite wing player is greater than our problems at either the 1 or the 5.

The Jose / JJ argument that we had this summer has obviously been silenced with the departure of Jack, and the arrival of Bayless. This was a bit of a steal considering Jack arrived in Toronto via free agency, and NO gave up a 1st rounder to acquire Bayless during the off season. Bayless has potential, and they should at least give him a shot to see whether or not he can realize some of that while playing in TO.

Given the performance of Camby since his arrival in Portland, and Chandler this year in Dallas, potentially the Raps could find a rebounding / shot blocking big man through a trade or free agency, rather than filling that whole through the draft.

I have watched about half of the Raps games this year (I work nights sometimes)... I was at the Houston game at the ACC earlier this year. Sonny put up 9 in the 1st quarter, then I don't think he scored til the fourth quarter. His inconsistency and decision making is hard to watch sometimes. Despite all that, I would still give him a contract next year and a spot in the rotation. He does indeed have untapped potential. The same is true for Demar. He could be a solid contributor on a winning team, but he is def not there yet. I wouldn't mind seeing Kleiza be on his way. I don't think he would see very many minutes on a championship team.

Finally, Bargnani. His inconsistency is also frustrating. I think he has enough skill that, if he were playing with elite players at all other positions, he might possibly be a player capable of playing big minutes in important games.

Blah, blah, blah, the point of that long assed rant was to suggest that if the Raps have a decent draft pick next year they should take a small forward to replace Weems / Kleiza in the starting lineup.

Comment

Very good points. That's why I hope that the lottery ping pong balls are kind to the Raptors this year and they end up with a top 3 pick. If they could draft Harrison Barnes, Kyrie Irving, or Perry Jones, they could have that missing piece that they're lacking now. With the way they're playing and barring any serious injury, they might end up with 30-35 wins and more likely an 8-12 pick. Hopefully there's still some real good players in that spot. You then have to consider the impact a possible lockout would have on eligible players declaring for the draft.

Comment

I was mentioning this in another thread, but depending where they pick and where he ends up being projected, I think Tobias Harris would be a really good fit for them. He's moving up draft boards in a hurry, and I could see him ending up as a mid to late lottery pick if he declares for this year. He's an athletic wing player, great hustle and work ethic, and excellent range on his jump shot. Defends and rebounds well. Putting up great numbers for a freshman who doesn't get many plays run for him. Looks to be a very good draft for SFs overall. After Jones, Jones, and Barnes, there's a bit of a drop-off, but Harris, Honeycutt, Leslie, Vesely, Singler, and Hamilton make up a very strong second-tier of SFs.

Comment

I still think it's way too early to start talking about the draft

Comment

Where was Landry Fields pegged on the earliest draft boards? Was he ever a consideration for a late first rounder or was he always a marginal second round pick? What were his numbers in college? Is there anyone out there like him?

See, I truly believe that DeMar DeRozan is supposed to be a SF -- shooting guards can generally shoot the ball, no?
              It's about money

Comment

philwill wrote: View Post
                Where was Landry Fields pegged on the earliest draft boards? Was he ever a consideration for a late first rounder or was he always a marginal second round pick? What were his numbers in college? Is there anyone out there like him?

See, I truly believe that DeMar DeRozan is supposed to be a SF -- shooting guards can generally shoot the ball, no?
                I don't even think he was pegged to be drafted at all.
                "Don't expect anything unless you give everything."

Comment

SF's galore at the top of the draft board.

http://www.nbadraft.net

Great site for draft board references.
                  Couldn't help but notice that if the Raps can land a top 4 pick, then we're pretty solid in terms of getting ourselves the Small Forward of our Dreams.
                  Perry Jones, Terrence Jones and Harrison Barnes are ALL going to be Solid NBA prospects. We need one. Which one?

UPDATE:
                  Perry Jones mix. (Big L freestyle makes it even better)

Last edited by Joey; Fri Dec 31, 2010, 03:59 AM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

Couldn't help but notice that if the Raps can land a top 4 pick, then we're pretty solid in terms of getting ourselves the Small Forward of our Dreams.
                    Perry Jones, Terrence Jones and Harrison Barnes are ALL going to be Solid NBA prospects. We need one. Which one?
                    Don't forget Tyler Honeycutt, Jordan Hamilton, and Chris Singleton, albeit not at the top. Good write up on Singleton here: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...Singleton-3603

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Don't forget Tyler Honeycutt, Jordan Hamilton, and Chris Singleton, albeit not at the top. Good write up on Singleton here: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...Singleton-3603
                      Confirmed. I love Honeycutt too (If only he'd lose the Jersey Shore hair).
                      The other guys could be had with a much lower picks probably, which I'm sure BC will be looking too acquire.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        The Singleton guy looks legit - versatility to defend different positions, rebounds, steals, makes jumpshots with feet set(that means he could likely score 3s out of double teams which this team needs) are sticking points. Tyler Honeycutt, Jordan Hamilton and Chris Singleton are guys that could be had outside the lottery - serviceable players at that(since this current team is not bad enough to get a Top 5 pick for guys like Harrison Barnes, Terrence Jones, Perry Jones).

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

Terrence Jones will be the best decision - a player that rebounds and defend on the wing is more valuable than scoring wings because when the scoring goes, a player can contribute in other ways.

Comment

Draft Express been saying that Tyler Honeycutt is solid, but they don't understand why he seems to be playing so "soft" lately.
                            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Good news, very good news

Comment

My only beef with that Singleton guy is that he's already about 3 years OLDER then either of the Jones' and Barnes. He's a Junior at this point, and if he was anything special he would have been drafted already.

Comment

Working...
                                X