2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors_ wrote: View Post
    damon stoudamire? he was rookie of the year. I think thats a good comparison.
    You're missing the point entirely (that pointing out a success story doesn't mean jack), but sure, I'll bite. If Kemba is going to be a good PG on a very bad team and a mediocre player on a good team, I think I'll pass. Lest we forget, Stoudamire averaged 40.6% field goal shooting over his career. I think most people can agree that Damon's year and Mike Miller's year were two of the worst for the ROTY award.

Comment

• e2thed wrote: View Post
      Kanter or nothing, BC knows thats his options. Trade the pick if can't get Minnesota's and especially if hes playing this good at the Draft Combine, we don't stand a chance. Kanter will win rookie of the year no doubt.
      realgm's saying that kanter turned down an interview with the raptors. i love his size/skill set but i think i'd rather take someone who - after not even playing a college game - already thinks he's too big a star for toronto.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap..._Raptors_Bucks

Comment

• [QUOTE=SCass;83641]I get your point that Portland, or any team, would want to have Oden if he is healthy. But Portland, or any other team, can't be assured Oden will remain healthy for a full season even if his rehab does go well. So from Portland's perspective, I think they would rather extend the QO and deal him for someone who can help them now.[QUOTE]
        Sure it is possible, but would be completely contrary to what they have been saying for the last 3 months.

In another scenario, how about dealing Bargs for Rudy F & Oden. I could see Portland (a solid defensive team) really valuing the floor spacing that Bargs would provide.
        I think we could do better for Bargnani, but I am just saying that because I am in the camp of Oden won't play or be a significant contributor.

With Rudy and Caleron, Rubio would then say, "hello Spain!," and want to come to TO (which I'm sure could be arranged...ie. Bayless or the #5).
        No way Kahn, as insane as he is, deals Rubio. My opinion of course.

One point I disagree on is that Mohammed is not good on defense. I'm pretty confident that he is regarded as being one of the better defensive centers in the league.
        Advanced metrics from 82games.com show Nazr to be a poor defender, ratings around 23 (lower is better and by comparison Bargnani is a 21.1 against C's).

Comment

• deebee wrote: View Post
          realgm's saying that kanter turned down an interview with the raptors. i love his size/skill set but i think i'd rather take someone who - after not even playing a college game - already thinks he's too big a star for toronto.

Saw that too, but not sure how deep this goes. The rumour started by a reporter's tweet, and was before ESPN reported that the top of the Raps board is Kanter along with Kemba and Knight. If he continues to act like this, I would be soured on him, but at the end of the day it's not his choice as Colangelo once pointed out.

Comment

• Raptors_ wrote: View Post
            damon stoudamire? he was rookie of the year. I think thats a good comparison.
            Stoudamire is someone I've compared Walker to, as well. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant as complimentary. Damon put up great stats on a bad team where he was able to dominate the ball and shoot whenever he felt like it, much like Walker did at Connecticut. Unfortunately, when he was traded to a better team, he struggled because he wasn't allowed to play the same way. Walker is simply not good enough to be allowed to dominate the ball on a good team, and I really question whether he can contribute in a meaningful way, otherwise.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Quixotic wrote: View Post
              You're missing the point entirely (that pointing out a success story doesn't mean jack), but sure, I'll bite. If Kemba is going to be a good PG on a very bad team and a mediocre player on a good team, I think I'll pass. Lest we forget, Stoudamire averaged 40.6% field goal shooting over his career. I think most people can agree that Damon's year and Mike Miller's year were two of the worst for the ROTY award.
              he averaged 19 points and 9.3 APG in his first year. Thats insane for a guy his height. 41% FGP isn't that bad, now your just throwing out random BS to try to make yourself sound like your right. And mike miller is a solid player and good 3 PT shooter on a GOOD team. Walker didn't win the NCAA championship for nothing. Kemba already has 3 year experience in the NCAA and i think he'll be able to help us make a push for the playoffs. I really don't care what you think but i have high hopes for him.
              Last edited by Raptors_; Fri May 20, 2011, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                Stoudamire is someone I've compared Walker to, as well. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant as complimentary. Damon put up great stats on a bad team where he was able to dominate the ball and shoot whenever he felt like it, much like Walker did at Connecticut.
                ... UConn won the Championship Tim. Little bit different than playing 'for a bad team'.
                He shot alot as much as his coach asked, averaged pretty decent assist numbers, and led his team to victories time and time again. Ultimately to being the best team in the country. MUCH different than the picture you paint of Damon.
                Last edited by Joey; Fri May 20, 2011, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• deebee wrote: View Post

Ed Davis refused to workout for Toronto because he felt he'd be drafted before 13. I'm guessing it's the same thing for Kanter. He's projected to go top 3 and his agent doesn't see the point in letting a team drafting fifth getting a look at him. One has to remember that it's almost always the agents that control these things.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    ... UConn won the Championship Tim. Little bit different than playing 'for a bad team'.
                    He shot alot as his coach asked, and led his team to victories time and time again, and ultimately to be being the best team in the country. MUCH different than the picture you paint of Damon.
                    And Damon Stoudamire went to the Final Four with Arizona. Of course I was talking about the NBA. Kemba Walker IS good enough in the NCAA to dominate the ball and lead his team. But in the NBA he isn't.

I'm good enough to dominate the ball and win at my local Y, but take me to a high level rec league, and my team would get killed if I do that. Fortunately, I can also play off the ball and be a role player. I question whether Walker can do this.
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Stoudamire is someone I've compared Walker to, as well. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant as complimentary. Damon put up great stats on a bad team where he was able to dominate the ball and shoot whenever he felt like it, much like Walker did at Connecticut. Unfortunately, when he was traded to a better team, he struggled because he wasn't allowed to play the same way. Walker is simply not good enough to be allowed to dominate the ball on a good team, and I really question whether he can contribute in a meaningful way, otherwise.
                      Thats partly true i guess. But the reason he had to dominate is because of the crap player at Uconn. Here he has more talented players to pass the ball to and he'll have more trust in his teammates. I think he'll be able to focus more on defense than offense knowing he has players like demar, ed, JJ(who can also handle and distribute the ball quite well), amir, barbosa etc... Anyway who do you suggest we draft?
                      Last edited by Raptors_; Fri May 20, 2011, 08:17 PM.

Comment

• Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                        No, he doesn't understand it. He has a one track scoring mentality. How many assists does the dude have?
                        Bargnani's 2.0 assists per 40 minutes is 33% higher than the 1.5 average for NBA centers.

http://www.hoopdata.com/passingstats...11&gp=0&mins=0

Bargnani is no Alvan Adams but then again, even Brad Miller is no Alvan Adams.

Bargnani's 1.8 assists per game in 2010-11 is also a 50% increase over his previous best season. I don't have the data to support this one but I think part of the increase was due to him finding a cutting DeRozan more and more often as the season progressed.

Comment

And Damon Stoudamire went to the Final Four with Arizona. Of course I was talking about the NBA. Kemba Walker IS good enough in the NCAA to dominate the ball and lead his team. But in the NBA he isn't.
                          Oh ok, I see your point.
                          But no one said that coming into the NBA he'd be looked upon to Dominate the Ball and score like he did at UConn. I think it's a bit silly to think that even he would expect that. Again, this all comes back to the fact, that I've never been a proponent of drafting him with our #5. So I guess I was assuming he ends up with a half decent team already, looking for a 6th man spark plug. A role I believe he will fill quite admirably.

Comment

Oh ok, I see your point.
                            But no one said that coming into the NBA he'd be looked upon to Dominate the Ball and score like he did at UConn. I think it's a bit silly to think that even he would expect that. Again, this all comes back to the fact, that I've never been a proponent of drafting him with our #5. So I guess I was assuming he ends up with a half decent team already, looking for a 6th man spark plug. A role I believe he will fill quite admirably.
                            i think he could be a good starter on a decent team or a great backup on a good team. But idk im lost right now, there are not really any players that can make a huge impact on our team right away. I think we should maybe trade our pick or trade down for darius morris i'm high on him. And he's got the size to dominate

Comment

Oh ok, I see your point.
                              But my point is that I don't know how well he can contribute if he's NOT dominating the ball. Stoudamire never felt comfortable without the ball in his hands and never achieved the heights he did in Toronto because of it. I see Tyreke Evans the same way. He outs up great stats, but he's allowed to do anything he wants because he's on a bad team. And he's simply no good enough to do that on a good team. He's not Dwyane Wade. A team's ceiling is usually how good their best player is, and a team with Tyreke Evans or Kemba Walker as the best player is never going to be very good. Take the ball out of their hands, and can they contribute meaningfully?
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

But my point is that I don't know how well he can contribute if he's NOT dominating the ball. Stoudamire never felt comfortable without the ball in his hands and never achieved the heights he did in Toronto because of it. I see Tyreke Evans the same way. He outs up great stats, but he's allowed to do anything he wants because he's on a bad team. And he's simply no good enough to do that on a good team. He's not Dwyane Wade. A team's ceiling is usually how good their best player is, and a team with Tyreke Evans or Kemba Walker as the best player is never going to be very good. Take the ball out of their hands, and can they contribute meaningfully?
                                But again, I was never expecting or pinning Kemba to be the best player on his team.
                                If you look at a guys like J.R.Smith, Jason Terry, Jamal Crawford and Barbosa, they are all VERY important to their teams success, but not even close to being the best players. And yet the team can afford to let them dominate the ball for short spurts, because they are in just that, short spurts. Again, this is how I see Kemba being utilized.

Comment

Working...
                                X