No announcement yet.

2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the press confrence today BC said the bigs in this draft are kinda in between PF/C and at this point the team is unsure on what direction they want to go in. also said the bigs are looked at as projects and it might be hard to stomach another project at this point but they will continue to evaluate talent and make a decission later.

I assume he is talking about Kanter and valanciunas

Comment

• Right now I'm leaning heavily towards Kemba Walker if we end up with the 3rd pick.

From a GM's standpoint, I think you cannot possibly go wrong with Kemba Walker, for the simple reason of how good he was in the tournament. There are guys like Valanciunas who could very well be the most deserving of #3, or Enes Kanter -- but you have no idea how these guys will fair and how their euro game translates in the NBA. That's not to say they absolutely won't be better, it's just there's more risk involved and if you pick a Valanciunas or Kanter and they completely suck ass, you'll pay because right now the way I see it #3-8 are all at even keel.

Whereas if you take Kemba Walker, no one would blame you. He's about an inch taller than Chris Paul, he's obviously a great leader, and he pretty much took his team on his back to win a championship. If you pick him and he sucks, no one will blame you for trying. It's very much similar to the Bargnani pick, in a year where there was no consensus #1, the riskier the player you select, the more likely you'll get burned. Again this is from a GM standpoint. If BC had taken Aldridge, for example, and Aldridge had sucked, you'd have less people complaining about the pick.

Essentially Kemba Walker is the Dwyane Wade of the group. Both did very well in college and put their respective teams on their back during the tournament. If I recall, Marquette did better than expected with Wade's help. Wade was kind of the default pick at #5. The guys picked ahead of him were either better by consensus, or they were just taller (like Bosh, Darko.. even Carmelo -- because Wade, at 6-4, is one of the shorter SGs in the league). But he was a safe pick, no one would have blamed you if Wade had been a total bust. If Wade had been pure garbage, no one would have called out Pat Riley for taking him instead of say Chris Kaman or Kirk Hinrich.
      your pal,
      ebrian

Comment

• Considering BC's press conference where he highlighted how much he likes versatile players (can play multiple positions) then that would put DWilliams in his sights as a 3/4.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
          I like Biyombo a lot, actually. He reminds me of serge ibaka quite a bit. Well worth trying to get a late round first pick for in my mind. Best case: Serge Ibaka 2.0. Worst case: Reggie Evans' replacement as forth big off the bench.
          I would agree with that.

Comment

• I still like Knight over Walker but I'd be ok with Walker
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• All I know that if BC drafts either Harrison or Derrick, JJ will be benchwarming come time Kleiza is back and healthy, if they draft Kyrie, Bayless' potential starting skills will be nullified and be as effective off the bench as he was earlier this year. Now if BC drafts Kanter then we have solid starter at the 5 spot, solid Ed starting 4 spot and hopefully sign a vet at the 3 (hey maybe even Bargs can take that spot), Demar at the 2 and Bayless at the 1.
              NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                I like Biyombo a lot, actually. He reminds me of serge ibaka quite a bit. Well worth trying to get a late round first pick for in my mind. Best case: Serge Ibaka 2.0. Worst case: Reggie Evans' replacement as forth big off the bench.

I'm a big fan of Biyombo too, but he won't be available by the late first round. He's gonna go in the lottery.

Comment

• Based on what was said today in the confrence this is what i gathered about the draft.

-if we get the 1st pick were taking kyrie irving. (just like everyone else because he is the best player and has alot of trade leverage.)
                  -if we get the second pick were taking Derrick williams
                  - if we get the 3rd pick most likely irving and williams are gone and we will then select one of kanter or valanciunas
                  -if we get the 4th pick then we take whichever Center (janas, kanter) isnt taken 3rd .
                  - if we get ther 5th pick then a C if available or maybe walker but based on what BC said he doesnt want any more youth unless they can be an instant impact. so guys like knight are out IMO. if we have youth at the point everything else will suffer.
                  BC was very high on bayless and i tihnk bayless is being looked at as the raps pg

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    I don't know whether I read a premature report, but I heard this a couple of weeks ago, so it's absolutely no surprise to me.
                    He had expressed a few weeks ago, a desire to win an NCAA championship, and wanted to be a guy who left a 'legacy'.
                    Then when UNC was eliminated, I kind of figured it was a given. So I'm with you. Not all that surprised.

Comment

• Parlaying the 3rd pick into more?

Here is a link which reports the Jazz who actually worked out Kanter in March. If they are really hot on him and BC is not....weeelll...the Jazz have a few assets including the Nets pick, Favors etc.

Comment

• if we drop below #3, we shouldn't overlook B. Knight. i see a lot of Rondo in him. crazy athlete who's just learning the game.

overall though, scary draft for the Raps. for a team that has little choice but to build via draft, not a lot to get excited about.

Comment

• Doubt they'd give up favors but Jefferson and the nets pick yes pls
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• OR take both their firsts and get Knight/Kemba and Biyombo/Faried
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Harrison Barnes To Return To UNC For Sophomore Season

"As an 18-year old, I'm in the early stages of my life journey," Barnes says. "I'm honored and blessed for the chance to play in the NBA. And because of my family, teachers, passion, and work, I have the ultimate dream of one day playing and experiencing a fulfilling career in the NBA.

"Opportunities, both beneficial and life changing, can seem to make the next phase of my journey an easy decision. But I am a student-athlete at the University of North Carolina. I'm here to experience college life, grow as a person, receive a quality education, and be part of the greatest basketball family in college sports.

"The experiences I've enjoyed on and off the court will be invaluable. These experiences will help fuel my journey in the NBA and beyond.

"I look forward to meeting the challenging journey in the NBA, but my decision on November 13, 2009, still holds true. I'm focused on being a student-athlete. And my decision is to continue this part of my journey at the University of North Carolina.

"As a team, we're preparing for a special season. My off-season plans are to diligently work on honing my basketball skills in all areas with one team-goal in mind -- to bring the 2012 national championship home to UNC."

"I am of course excited to have Harrison back on our team next year,' says head coach Roy Williams. "It has been a true pleasure to coach him and I look forward to coaching him again next season. He had a difficult decision to make. He really had no wrong decision to choose, but I believe he is coming back to school because he enjoys college basketball, he enjoys the University of North Carolina and he enjoys his teammates. If he had decided to leave for the NBA, that would have been okay, too, because he will always be a Tar Heel. But it will certainly be a lot of fun to coach him again."
                              Harrison Barnes To Return To UNC For Sophomore Season - NORTH CAROLINA OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

Note: Credit goes to Crèpe on RaptorsForum for finding article.

----------------------

I don't really care as I didn't like Barnes that much but I guess this is going to mean Irving/D Williams will be gone by 3rd pick for sure.
                              Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Mon Apr 18, 2011, 05:49 PM.

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                                Harrison Barnes To Return To UNC For Sophomore Season - NORTH CAROLINA OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

Note: Credit goes to Crèpe on RaptorsForum for finding article.

----------------------

I don't really care as I didn't like Barnes that much but I guess this is going to mean Irving/D Williams will be gone by 3rd pick for sure.
                                I read that article on HoopsHype.com and HoopsWorld.com this morning.

Any fan of the league should read those two sites daily. It is a great and concise way to keep track of most news-worthy stories in the NBA.

Comment

Working...
                                X