2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    I think this is all that should be measured and displayed. Because this is the stat that matters.
    As I've stated before, you don't block shots with the top of your head, nor do you rebound with it, (could keep going, but you get the idea.) and yet that is where they take measurements from now. Rarely do they ever talk about Standing Reach, but in my opinion it holds more weight than standing height in shoes.
    True enough. As a guard defending you want the height to disrupt line of sight to the ball handler, as a C/PF body height mean little (unless you are 8') since you are looking UP at the basket so the important measurements become standing reach and wingspan are the more important lengths.

Comment

• Raptorsss wrote: View Post
      If we draft Val, he'll be behind Alabi on the depth chart...no thanks.
      Why do you feel this way? It's no good to toss something bold out there if it has no legs.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
        I have a feeling you will be disappointed. The proper rebuild approach takes time. http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ is a great source to look at teams records over the years. Check out teams in the playoffs and the years it took to get there. For fans wanting to go the route of OKC or POR, it takes multiple high lottery picks.
        Good point, I guess. My impatience is getting the better of me. We'll most likely have another top 5-8 pick again next season so I suppose getting a guy like Barnes or Lamb or whoever is still very much a possibility.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Knight, T. Jones and Liggins all declared for the draft.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Liggins is worth a look if we can buy a second round pick. Kid was on the all-SEC defensive team this season.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
              Liggins is worth a look if we can buy a second round pick. Kid was on the all-SEC defensive team this season.
              And he can shoot the ball.
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• He could be decent depth, sure.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  I think this is all that should be measured and displayed. Because this is the stat that matters.
                  As I've stated before, you don't block shots with the top of your head, nor do you rebound with it, (could keep going, but you get the idea.) and yet that is where they take measurements from now. Rarely do they ever talk about Standing Reach, but in my opinion it holds more weight than standing height in shoes.
                  That's very true, and in theory Valanciunas could be a couple inches better than that. I haven't seen official measurements for him, but he claims to be 6'11 w/o shoes, with a 7'6 wingspan. If that's true, other guys with a similar height/wingspan combination (like Brook Lopez or Solomon Alibi) have standing reaches of around 9'5".
                  I'm actually more interested to see Bismack's leaping numbers. Just looking at footage, it seems like he could have a really high no-step vertical reach, another key measurement for shot-blocking and rebounding.

Comment

• last comment on this topic till draft day

came across this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtRJA_ugeAk what a dunk

those guys who make up those mock drafts are giving their opinions just like you or me, anyone who doesn't think this kid can put on 20 lbs in a season that will be locked out for the most part is crazy if ed can do it this off season this kid can. every person I have heard talk about him in interviews have said this kid will be a pro, charles barkley, ncaa coaches, scouts. ben wallace was arguably the franchise player of the pistons organization during their championship run. Since I think jeff posted the seniors list earlier this year I knew nothing about this kid and the more I look into to him the more I feel he is the second best pick in the draft. his offensive game may be lacking but I think thats only cause he has not been shown counter post moves, his form on his jump shot is not bad I think alex can work with him and last but not least if jared sullinger was arguably going number 1 and faried dominated him, this kid is for sure a lottery pick in my eyes. Seniors get passed up too much in the NBA because everyone is chasing potential. you draft legit talent unless that you see true dominance, period. coaches don't teach fundamentals in the NBA they except you to know it already. drafting 19 year olds reminds me of the loudness wars in the audio industry there is a point where you start degrading the audio quality.

see you guys draft day
                    Last edited by grindhouse; Thu Apr 21, 2011, 01:11 AM.

Comment

• Kentucky's Knight, Jones And Liggins Declare For NBA Draft

Kentucky's Brandon Knight, Terrence Jones and DeAndre Liggins have declared for the NBA draft, the school announced on Wednesday.

None of the three has hired an agent or announced plans to do so.

Coach John Calipari said he supported the three players exploring the possibilty of entering the NBA.

"They were a joy to coach this year and I would love the opportunity to continue to coach them again next season," Calipari said in a statement released by the school. "I will always support my players in weighing their options and doing what is personally best for them and their families."
                      http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap..._For_NBA_Draft

Man I really wish we had a 2nd rounder. I love Liggins game.

Comment

• The next important date is May 8th.

That is the deadline for underclassmen to withdraw their names from the draft without losing NCAA eligibility if they have not hired an agent.

Jones, Knight, and Liggins are all not hiring agents.

Comment

• At this point with everyone staying in school you'd probably need a mid first rounder to get Liggins
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• My boy Burks officially declared for draft. If Irving is off the board id be cool with them trading down and taking him.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                              My boy Burks officially declared for draft. If Irving is off the board id be cool with them trading down and taking him.
                              Burks is intriguing.

Assuming two things:

1) Barbosa opted out or Bargnani was traded or Jose was traded (basically assuming we can lose $9M in total salary)
                              2) Charlotte was REALLY desperate to shed $9M (which might not be a stretch after losing millions again this year)

would you take on Diaw with the TPE to get CHA's 1st round pick to select Burks?

Comment

• More praise for this year's draft *sarcasm*

"I guarantee you, if this was next year's class, with the guys that are going back to school and the incoming freshmen, nobody would feel the need to spend months of time in Kaunas, Lithuania (Motiejunas' hometown)," one general manager said. "But you start staring at Kemba Walker and [Kentucky guard] Brandon Knight and [Kentucky forward] Terrence Jones, and Kawhi Leonard in the lottery, and you start going, 'Oh my God, I'd better get on a plane and go find somebody.'"
                                http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...nal/index.html

Comment

Working...
                                X