2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    I don't follow much college ball but I don't understand why prognosticators call this one of the weakest drafts in recent memory. Is it because there's no real consensus # 1? I'm looking at the scouting reports and I have to admit that based on that, it cannot be any weaker than the 2006 draft. No, this is not a shot at Bargs but just based on comparisons of the projected top 10 and the 2006 draft year.

As for the Raps, they need to get an up-and-comer with star potential and continue the trend of losing while the kids develop on how to play as a team in this league. They don't need to draft based on need but the best player available at that position. Here's hoping for the #1 spot.
    If Kyrie declares and is healthy, he is the unquestionable #1. As for the depth of the draft, I wouldn't put much faith in the experts. There are a few promising PG's and quite a few wings. The draft is weak for big men.

Comment

• EaseMyPain wrote: View Post
      You must think that the draft is always fixed! Washington needs a lift, they get Wall. The Knicks need a lift, they get Ewing. The NBA brokers the move of Colangelo to Toronto with an "international plan", and Toronto gets the first pick. Cleveland sucks and has no interest in the team, they get Lebron. They lose Lebron, they suck, they get the first pick next year. If Jersey is in the lottery when they finally move to the Bronx, they will get the pick. No special concern for Toronto, so we are not getting the pick. We will not even be in the top three. We need to hope that the teams most in "corporate need" are all below the Raps so that they can at least draft at their natural spot.
      Don't forget Lebron was the hometown kid as well. That worked out just too perfectly, draftwise.
      AND Portland getting the #1 pick right as BRoy was ready to turn them into a contender. Too bad they blew it on Oden... hahah

I've often thought of this as well... it's hard not too. I really hope it's all just happy coincidence though. Either way, sometimes the return on a #3,4,5 pick can just as valuable as a #1. (See Vince Carter, Pau Gasol, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Al Horford, Tyreke Evans, etc.) I would quite happy with a pick in that range especially with this draft.
      As Balls stated, it has been said this draft class is weak, but I believe they were saying it even more so for the Curry, Jennings, Evans, Griffin, Derozan class as well. They don't know shit. This year be SOLID 1-5.
      Last edited by Joey; Sun Jan 23, 2011, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• What sucks is that (you never know for sure) but it is probably a bad draft year.

There is no superstar 1st overall pick, and the depth would be bad too because of players not declaring due to the lockout.

If anyone will emerge as the consensus #1 pick it looks to be Irving.

Does he have a shot to be among the Top 5 pgs?
        Rose
        D.Will
        CP3
        Rondo
        Westbrook
        ...also Wall (I'd actually take him over everyone, I htink his celing is higher)

What is the prevailing opinion on Irving...that he would eventually join that group, or be a tier below?

Comment

• Ruuuuu wrote: View Post
          What is the prevailing opinion on Irving...that he would eventually join that group, or be a tier below?
          Look at the college stats of all those guys. Granted Irving's was a small sample size but then look at his.

The player most often compared to Irving is Chris Paul.

I think if his health is solved, he is the real deal.

It is sad when Raptors fans are already ripping a guy the team doesn't even have yet - if at all! lol

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Look at the college stats of all those guys. Granted Irving's was a small sample size but then look at his.

The player most often compared to Irving is Chris Paul.

I think if his health is solved, he is the real deal.

It is sad when Raptors fans are already ripping a guy the team doesn't even have yet - if at all! lol
            No but college stats dont necessarily translate to the NBA. Its a different league and different game. There are tons of guys who do better/worse in college. I am asking more of a "scouting opinion" on Irving - how likely is he to reach the elite level of those PGs.

Raptors fan aside the point is that: the depth of draft will likely be weak, and the top PG is distinctly below (at this point anyway) the recent ones that have come out (Rose and Wall).

Comment

• Irving is the man if we had a the #1 pick IMO right now. I wouldn't say it's a weak draft but there definitely isn't a clear cut top pick. If we do land the 5th pick and we want to stick with a PG then Kemba is much more realistic choice.

If we're really looking for a SF though I would go with Terrence Jones if he's available. Good rebounder and could also play the 4.
              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

• If Irving comes out, he would be the consensus #1, it seems to me. He's really the only can't-miss talent in the draft and he's got the potential to be a superstar. And he's showing it in college.

A guy like Perry certainly has the potential to be be a very good player, but he's not even showing that in college, yet.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  Need to be an ESPN Insider.
                  found it and no you don't now, http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2011/mockdraft

looks like we either getting , enes kanter, jared sullinger or kyle irving says the lottery machine
                  NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

• Let The Ping-Pongs Rain!!!

Well, it is that time again - ESPN's NBA Mock Draft is upon us. According to early estimates, our Raps are in line for the fourth pick, with the Raps having a 10.4% chance of landing the top pick. If we stay at the fourth position, a Mr. Kanter awaits. Thoughts? Based on this alone, would we try to move up? Move down? Move pieces with our pick? Acquire pieces with our pick? Discuss.

Last edited by Balls of Steel; Tue Jan 25, 2011, 09:12 PM.
                    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Harrison Barnes 5th? Why? If he were in position for the Raptors to get him then bring it on. Back in the fall a certain someone in here attacked my notion of Perry Jones going #1...

EDIT: Can you please post a link to the ESPN article?
                      Last edited by Apollo; Tue Jan 25, 2011, 09:23 PM.

Comment

• Ya screw Kanter if Barnes is available.
                        We don't need another 'undersized, crafty big man'. We've got TONS of them already.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                          Harrison Barnes 5th? Why? If he were in position for the Raptors to get him then bring it on. Back in the fall a certain someone in here attacked my notion of Perry Jones going #1...

EDIT: Can you please post a link to the ESPN article?
                          The article you require is an Insider one (for which I'm not a member of). RealGM may have it later on.
                          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Perry Jones is the #1 pick for sure. Harrison Barnes falls to 5th because he hasn't played well in college thus far. I wouldn't count on Kyrie Irving being in this years draft either. He's out for the season.

Comment

• If he's healthy, I really don't see why you wouldn't want Kanter. He's a bullish, tough center who can score inside and out and also rebounds and defends. He's basically what the Raptors are missing. I "love" Amir and Davis, but neither of them are big enough to bang with some of the bigger centers. Kanter would be.

And even better, it would make Bargnani expendable.
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Macc wrote: View Post
                                Perry Jones is the #1 pick for sure. Harrison Barnes falls to 5th because he hasn't played well in college thus far. I wouldn't count on Kyrie Irving being in this years draft either. He's out for the season.
                                Where did you hear this? Last time I heard he was out until February.
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X