Page 5 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 2640

Thread: 2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

  1. #81
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,761
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i haven't watched any colllege hoops at all this year to be honest, i just remember reading his draft.net bio and thinking he sounded good.

  2. #82
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    I don't think you should be using Perry Jones in the same breath as Kevin Durant. Durant brought it on every play as a freshman. His numbers were crazy good. Jones just went scoreless in a game versus Texas Southern.

    This draft is gonna be known as a year where there';s no clear cut number 1.
    He went scoreless because he got in early foul trouble and didn't need to come back in because Baylor was winning pretty much from the get go. Other than that ONE game, the dude has brought it.
    I'm not saying he's going to BE Kevin Durant, but as a tall, athletic Small Forward, I think it's fair to use him as a Benchmark. Granted, PJones hasn't shown the range that KD has, or even that which was displayed by Beasley, but I do think he brings more energy and athleticism than both.
    And on our team that'd be ok. We don't need another SF thinking they're Ray Allen (*cough* Kleiza *cough*) haha

  3. #83
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    And we reeally don't need another PG/Shooting Guard. Knight is a slightly better shooting Jarryd Bayless. And JB has actually shown an improved jumper this year.

    If we take ANY guards, it should only be Irving. And I don't see him entering the draft this year.

  4. #84
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,401
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    He went scoreless because he got in early foul trouble and didn't need to come back in because Baylor was winning pretty much from the get go. Other than that ONE game, the dude has brought it.
    I'm not saying he's going to BE Kevin Durant, but as a tall, athletic Small Forward, I think it's fair to use him as a Benchmark. Granted, PJones hasn't shown the range that KD has, or even that which was displayed by Beasley, but I do think he brings more energy and athleticism than both.
    And on our team that'd be ok. We don't need another SF thinking they're Ray Allen (*cough* Kleiza *cough*) haha
    http://espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=51237

    Here is Jones' complete game stats so far this year. I'm not doubting he is a talent but he has hardly been dominant. Chris Singleton also shut him down 2 games ago. It would appear Singleton is everything the Raptors need from a defensive wing perspective.

  5. #85
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    http://espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=51237

    Here is Jones' complete game stats so far this year. I'm not doubting he is a talent but he has hardly been dominant. Chris Singleton also shut him down 2 games ago. It would appear Singleton is everything the Raptors need from a defensive wing perspective.
    But if you compare their stats as freshmen, you will see that Perry Jones shows far more upside. He's got 3" on Singleton, not to mention 2 years younger. Singleton has improved over the years, but in the key areas you'd like to see a SF improve, he just hasn't. He can't create his own shot off the dribble and he's not all that good at attacking the basket.

    DEx says it better than I do though;

    "As a slasher, Singleton remains below average. He does not have the ball-handling skills needed to create his own shot on a consistent basis. He struggles to change speeds and directions with the ball, which hampers him from taking full advantage of his excellent physical tools. He isn't able to get to the rim and utilize his explosiveness as much as you might hope, often settling for off-the-dribble jumpers instead, which are definitely not his strength."

    At 6'11" Perry Jones has shown some skills not many others have at his size. Hence why he's projected in most places to be top 2 pick, where as Singleton is MAYBE a lottery pick. He's helping his stock, but with some of the younger talent in the draft, he will fall.

  6. #86
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    He went scoreless because he got in early foul trouble and didn't need to come back in because Baylor was winning pretty much from the get go. Other than that ONE game, the dude has brought it.
    I'm not saying he's going to BE Kevin Durant, but as a tall, athletic Small Forward, I think it's fair to use him as a Benchmark. Granted, PJones hasn't shown the range that KD has, or even that which was displayed by Beasley, but I do think he brings more energy and athleticism than both.
    And on our team that'd be ok. We don't need another SF thinking they're Ray Allen (*cough* Kleiza *cough*) haha
    He hasn't really taken over any games so far this season. His tools set are very good - has good handles, decent offensive game, but there's no wow factor with the guy. I would disagree that he has 'brought it'. I wouldn't use Durant as a benchmark. At this moment, I would say Charlie Villanueva is more of a comparison - heightwise, game wise and production wise. I would say that Kyrie Irving did much more in his time prior to his injury than Jones. He looked far more impressive. Should he choose to enter the 2011 draft and he plays the same way he was playing prior to his injury, he should be the #1 pick. Hell, I'd take Sullinger over Jones at this moment simply because his game has been much more impressive - and he's putting it up against better competition.
    Is he a talent? Sure, no question, the talent is there, and he should be a solid pro, but in my opinion, he won't be a "franchise player" kind of guy.
    Last edited by MangoKid; Tue Jan 4th, 2011 at 08:31 PM.

  7. #87
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    And we reeally don't need another PG/Shooting Guard. Knight is a slightly better shooting Jarryd Bayless. And JB has actually shown an improved jumper this year.

    If we take ANY guards, it should only be Irving. And I don't see him entering the draft this year.
    The Raptors are not in a position to be picky and choosey. No one's job should be safe. We don';t have any all-stars or franchise players. If Knight is the best player available when we select, Knight should be the selection.

  8. #88
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    But if you compare their stats as freshmen, you will see that Perry Jones shows far more upside. He's got 3" on Singleton, not to mention 2 years younger. Singleton has improved over the years, but in the key areas you'd like to see a SF improve, he just hasn't. He can't create his own shot off the dribble and he's not all that good at attacking the basket.

    DEx says it better than I do though;

    "As a slasher, Singleton remains below average. He does not have the ball-handling skills needed to create his own shot on a consistent basis. He struggles to change speeds and directions with the ball, which hampers him from taking full advantage of his excellent physical tools. He isn't able to get to the rim and utilize his explosiveness as much as you might hope, often settling for off-the-dribble jumpers instead, which are definitely not his strength."

    At 6'11" Perry Jones has shown some skills not many others have at his size. Hence why he's projected in most places to be top 2 pick, where as Singleton is MAYBE a lottery pick. He's helping his stock, but with some of the younger talent in the draft, he will fall.
    Singleton is decent. He's very good defensively, but his offensive game is still a bit suspect. He's kinda like a Devin Ebanks when Ebanks was at WV. Should the Raptors have a lotto pick, it shouldn't be spend on Singleton. Maybe if he's still there at the time the Miami selection rolls around, I'd take him.

  9. #89
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    J_H - the thing about Jones that irks me is that he's pretty much the star player at Baylor and he's played against some pretty inferior competition, but he hasn't been dominating the way he should, or the way a lot have expected him to. Now if he puts up some good numbers and plays well against K-State, Texas, Kansas, Texas A & M, then I'll revisit my opinion of him, but as of right now, to me, he's not very impressive.

  10. #90
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    J_H - the thing about Jones that irks me is that he's pretty much the star player at Baylor and he's played against some pretty inferior competition, but he hasn't been dominating the way he should, or the way a lot have expected him to. Now if he puts up some good numbers and plays well against K-State, Texas, Kansas, Texas A & M, then I'll revisit my opinion of him, but as of right now, to me, he's not very impressive.
    Which is fair and diplomatic of you. Not so often seen around these parts. haha
    I don't disagree with you. He has been a little underwhelming, but I think his "upside" (and I hate to use that word) trumps a few crappy games. Not to mention that Dunn and Acy have both had exceptional years, and Jones has been able to not have to worry about shouldering the load completely on his own.

    And HOPEFULLY he is able to raise his game when the cameras, and scouts, are really watching.

  11. #91
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Singleton is decent. He's very good defensively, but his offensive game is still a bit suspect. He's kinda like a Devin Ebanks when Ebanks was at WV. Should the Raptors have a lotto pick, it shouldn't be spend on Singleton. Maybe if he's still there at the time the Miami selection rolls around, I'd take him.
    We don't disagree one this either. My thoughts exactly.

  12. #92
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    And for the record, Jones wouldn't even necessarily be my first choice, I've just sort of been stuck being the default defender on him. hahah He's going to be a star. I think. But Harrison Barnes, in my opinion, is the most complete player in the draft. PJones is a freak, but Barnes is ready.
    I'd take him at this point, but I'd like to see how the second half of the season goes. Still lots of College ball to watch.

  13. #93
    Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,753
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I could see Colangelo pissing everyone off by drafting Brandon Knight or someone like that. You know, one of those dynamic offensive players who doesn't fit our cookie cutter brains but does fit Colangelo's failing system.

    I've seen Kyle Irving as high as #1 and not even on the board in some cases. He may not come out this year. If he does I'm not holding my breath on the Raptors being in position to draft him.

    Alec Burks sounds interesting but it would have to mean a switch from the 2 to the 3 by DeRozan.
    Why would that pick piss anyone off? Knight has a great jumpshot, very high basketball IQ (and book smarts too he's an honer student), he's a "very creative passer" -NBAdraft.net and has a great work ethic.

    He's is easily the 2nd best PG in this draft and arguably the #1 PG.

    Edit: NBAdraft.net consensus 2011 mock has Knight going over Irving. They have Irving going to the Raptors at 8 and Knight going to the Clippers at 6.

    http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_mock_drafts/consensus

    Full Size
    Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Wed Jan 5th, 2011 at 12:41 AM.

  14. #94
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    Why would that pick piss anyone off? Knight has a great jumpshot, very high basketball IQ (and book smarts too he's an honer student), he's a "very creative passer" -NBAdraft.net and has a great work ethic.

    He's is easily the 2nd best PG in this draft.

    Edit: NBAdraft.net consensus 2011 mock has Knight going over Irving. They have Irving going to the Raptors at 8 and Knight going to the Clippers at 5.

    http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_mock_drafts/consensus

    Full Size
    Hmm... well you got me. haha
    Though perhaps with Bayless/Barbosa/Calderon, all capable shooting 3s from the 1 and 2 position, he might be a bit redundant in the system. Granted none should be Locks, but I think with this team as is, we need a slashing, head up SF.

    But I absolutely stand corrected on Knight.. dude seems legit.

  15. #95
    Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,753
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Hmm... well you got me. haha
    Though perhaps with Bayless/Barbosa/Calderon, all capable shooting 3s from the 1 and 2 position, he might be a bit redundant in the system. Granted none should be Locks, but I think with this team as is, we need a slashing, head up SF.

    But I absolutely stand corrected on Knight.. dude seems legit.
    He can play PG [far] better then Bayless and Barbosa and he plays better D then Jose. If Irving is taken and knight drops to us I don't see how we could not take him. He has everything to become a great PG.
    Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Tue Jan 4th, 2011 at 11:11 PM.

  16. #96
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    He can play PG [far] better then Bayless and Barbosa and he plays better D then Jose. If Irving is taken and knight drops to us I don't see how we could not take him. He has everything to become a great PG.
    So you disagree with my Thread line that we need a SF in the draft then? hahah
    I dig it man. I'm sold on the kid. I hadn't seen much, but I'm watching. You turned me.
    But still, I think an athletic tall, swing man would be a saviour for the team.

  17. #97
    Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,753
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Knight can slash to the rim. He has great size, speed and strength.

    Strengths: Big point guard with excellent size and speed and scoring ability … Extremely fast player who excels pushing the ball up the court …. Has a tremendous first step to get by opponents off the dribble … Strong one on one player … Excellent at driving to the basket, good body control, and a quality finisher on the move … Very creative passer … Quick decision maker … A fierce competitor, really steps his level of play up in big situations … High motor guy. Plays with a high level of intensity and passion … Strong work ethic, constantly looking to improve both his body and game … His body has seen an impressive transformation from his sophomore to senior year of high school … Has an excellent jumpshot with range out to 3 point … Good shooter off the dribble … An excellent defender who uses his length and quickness to stay in front of his man … Drew 2 changes per game as a senior in high school … Very smart, engaging young man with a bright future …

    Weaknesses: A solid athlete but not a huge leaper … At times tries to force the issue offensively instead of taking what the defense gives him … Will need to improve on his floater in the lane. Many of his scoring opportunities in high school came from getting by his man and all the way to the rim where he rarely got challenged. He’ll have more to deal with on the college and NBA levels … A little streaky. When he’s going well he’s deadly. But can go through slumps as he showed during the high school showcase all star games …
    http://www.nbadraft.net/players/brandon-knight

    BTW Don't we already have a athletic SF? Demar?
    Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Tue Jan 4th, 2011 at 11:20 PM.

  18. #98
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,049
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    Why would that pick piss anyone off? Knight has a great jumpshot, very high basketball IQ (and book smarts too he's an honer student), he's a "very creative passer" -NBAdraft.net and has a great work ethic.

    He's is easily the 2nd best PG in this draft and arguably the #1 PG.

    Edit: NBAdraft.net consensus 2011 mock has Knight going over Irving. They have Irving going to the Raptors at 8 and Knight going to the Clippers at 6.

    http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_mock_drafts/consensus

    Full Size
    Because he doesn't fit a team need. They have Barbosa and Bayless already on roster and both do a lot of similar things on the basketball court. Then there's the fact that he's a tweeter and probably will never be a prototypical PG. Let me ask you something, how often do these mock drafts get it right outside the top 3?

  19. #99
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    Why would that pick piss anyone off? Knight has a great jumpshot, very high basketball IQ (and book smarts too he's an honer student), he's a "very creative passer" -NBAdraft.net and has a great work ethic.

    He's is easily the 2nd best PG in this draft and arguably the #1 PG.

    Edit: NBAdraft.net consensus 2011 mock has Knight going over Irving. They have Irving going to the Raptors at 8 and Knight going to the Clippers at 6.

    http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_mock_drafts/consensus

    Full Size
    Consensus is basically all the fans that come on the site and vote, it has nothing to do with basketball experts coming to some sort of conclusion. Believe me, if Irving enters the draft, there's no way he's going to fall that far.

    Would I be mad at the Knight selection? If he's the best player available where we're selecting, then no. But if Colangelo reaches, I would be a bit perturbed.

  20. #100
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,049
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The only thing keeping Irving out of the top three would be the injury. He could be the most talented player who may come out.

Page 5 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •