2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Brotherman, check out Wallace when he came out of Virginia Union. He was jacked even back then. Even when he came into the NBA with the Wiz, he was a pretty big boy in terms of his body. He was a man.

The Reggie Evans comparison is a pretty fair one. I could see it, but the example I like more is Jerome Williams. Energetic, high motor, good rebounder, decent defender. I'm not gonna write the kid off at all because he seems to be sponge when it comes to intake of information on how to improve his game, and because we haven't seen him in workouts against other draft hopefuls. The workouts can make or break you.
    I watched jerome williams at georgetown with iverson they play completely different. faried has a explosive twitch vertical which not even reggie or love have. Some where inbetween wallace and reggie is where i think he ends up.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      At this point, I almost have to put Kemba above Kyrie.
      Kemba has been playing OUT OF HIS MIND, and his perimeter defense is, in my opinion, far superior to Irving.
      But I think Irving needs a few more games to show off.
      Here's a quote I got from that article:

Kemba Walker should be OK as an NBA point guard, but might fare better as a shooting guard.
      Does this remind you of another UConn alum, New York-raised, thought to be a PG, but plays more of a SG, quick, volume shooter, played insane ball on UConn's run to a national title about 6 seasons go and shot up the draft charts?

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
        I watched jerome williams at georgetown with iverson they play completely different. faried has a explosive twitch vertical which not even reggie or love have. Some where inbetween wallace and reggie is where i think he ends up.
        I watched both guys too and for the most part, JYD is an energy player. I think Faried is the same way. I feel if the scouts felt differently, he wouldn't be considered a fringe lotto pick, you know what I mean? But let's see what happens at the workouts. He could kill some of these cats and rise up the charts.

Comment

Does this remind you of another UConn alum, New York-raised, thought to be a PG, but plays more of a SG, quick, volume shooter, played insane ball on UConn's run to a national title about 6 seasons go and shot up the draft charts?
          you talking about marbury ? that maybe the best comparison I heard for kemba thus far if thats who your talking about or you talking about ben gorden?
          Last edited by grindhouse; Mon Mar 21, 2011, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• Hoops World's Top Five PGs

Kemba Walker (UConn) - 6-1, 170 lbs.
            I've had the pleasure of watching Kemba since he was a freshman at NYC's famed Rice High School. His athleticism and his scoring ability is unmatched by any guard in the tournament and probably the country. His separation ability has scouts drooling, as well as his sheer strength and ability to bounce back physically. This was displayed during the Big East Tournament when Walker led the Huskies to five wins in five days.

Kyrie Irving (Duke) - 6'2, 185 lbs.
            Unfortunately, Irving's development has been slowed by injury, but the tools are all there. Blazing speed, break down dribble and finish ability, excellent mid-range…he has it all. The grade is incomplete, however, and scouts will be paying close attention if Irving can indeed go come game time this week.

Nolan Smith (Duke) - 6'3, 185 lbs.
            Smith's stock is on the rise after gutting out a foot injury during the ACC Tournament and leading Duke to yet another ACC title. Nolan isn't truly great at any one thing, but he is very solid at everything on both sides of the ball. He's an intangible player and quiet leader - all great qualities that NBA execs look for in a guard. His upside isn't like other prospects, but he's a player who would be an excellent depth option off the bat. He's benefitted from Kyrie Irving being out and taken advantage of being the team leader at the guard position, a post he's held for four years.

Jimmer Fredette (BYU) - 6'2, 195 lbs.
            What you love about Jimmer is the fact that he can flat out fill it up. It's easy to fall in love with the ease in which his jump shots go in. He's a great pick and roll talent that will translate at the next level. He shows great toughness and the ability to split double teams with the dribble. He often is defended by three players yet can still get his look. He shows unlimited range, the ability to takeover and win a game by himself. Defensively, he's adequate to be nice, but his offense is without question NBA caliber.

Brandon Knight (Kentucky) - 6'3, 170 lbs.
            Knight is your classic scoring guard, and one who is very adept at getting into seems and finishing. His passing and decision making definitely need improvement, but he's explosive on both ends of the floor. He's an underrated defender as well, and knows how to defer to teammates. You have to like his confidence as well. I mean, who would want to follow in the footsteps of former John Calipari guards like Rose, Tyreke Evans and John Wall?
            Source: HoopsWorld.com

Comment

You talking about Marcus Williams or Ben Gordon?

And ya I read that as well; still not sure I agree with it.

Kemba is 6'-0". Some have him 6'-1". Some have him 5'-11".
              If you've been watching the last MANY UConn games, (Tournament games and Championship run) Kemba has taken over.
              Leading his team to victory. He is a leader, a dynamic guard, clutch shooter.
              1 of 4 players nominated to 'POY'.
              Led UConn to 5 straight wins over ELITE competition for the Big East Championship.

Why is it that when a PG is a capable scorer, he's labeled a SG?
              Kemba has shown to be VERY capable of dishing out the ball, finding his teammates, communicating defense, freakish athletic ability, leading his team, taking the big shots and making the right decisions (his shot selection has come into question, but lately he's done it all right.)

Anyway, I can see him being an 'Allen Iverson' type player. (Obviously not as amazing as Iverson, but you get it.) Legit PG, but perhaps a little more skilled at scoring than most PGs he's playing against. I don't see him playing SG much in the NBA.
              Last edited by Joey; Mon Mar 21, 2011, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• Some of the greatest PGs of all-time have been on the small side. Isiah Thomas, John Stockton and Tim Hardaway. Today, Chris Paul is a prime example of a PG who is small in stature. Walker is the only PG in the draft that has that Rose/Wall athleticism that is being coveted in this NBA era.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                  Walker is the only PG in the draft that has that Rose/Wall athleticism that is being coveted in this NBA era.
                  Fully Agree.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    You talking about Marcus Williams or Ben Gordon?

And ya I read that as well; still not sure I agree with it.

Kemba is 6'-0". Some have him 6'-1". Some have him 5'-11".
                    If you've been watching the last MANY UConn games, (Tournament games and Championship run) Kemba has taken over.
                    Leading his team to victory. He is a leader, a dynamic guard, clutch shooter.
                    1 of 4 players nominated to 'POY'.
                    Led UConn to 5 straight wins over ELITE competition for the Big East Championship.

Why is it that when a PG is a capable scorer, he's labeled a SG?
                    Kemba has shown to be VERY capable of dishing out the ball, finding his teammates, communicating defense, freakish athletic ability, leading his team, taking the big shots and making the right decisions (his shot selection has come into question, but lately he's done it all right.)

Anyway, I can see him being an 'Allen Iverson' type player. (Obviously not as amazing as Iverson, but you get it.) Legit PG, but perhaps a little more skilled at scoring than most PGs he's playing against. I don't see him playing SG much in the NBA.
                    I was talking Ben Gordon. Marcus Williams was a pure PG and was from California.

This is what I gathered from Gordon's career at UConn (from Wikipedia, not exactly the best site to quote, but I'm kinda lazy right now to dig up info and I'm hacking myself to death at this computer):

As a freshman at Connecticut, Gordon ranked second on the team in scoring (12.6 ppg), despite coming off the bench for most of the season. He hit the game winning 3-point field goal against Villanova in the Big East Tournament. As a sophomore Gordon averaged a team-leading 19.5 points (which ranked 50th in the nation) and also led the Huskies with 156 total assists, which earned Gordon Second Team All-Big East honors.

In Gordon's junior and final year at Connecticut, he averaged a team-leading 20.5 points (again ranked 50th in the nation), 4.7 rebounds and 4.5 assists. He also connected on 104 three-pointers, the second-highest single season total in Connecticut's history. Gordon set a Big East Tournament record with 81 total points, earning the tournaments' Most Outstanding Performer honors. Gordon also earned Most Outstanding Player of the Phoenix Regional honors in the NCAA Tournament. He also led the tournament field with 127 total points, as he helped lead the Huskies to the NCAA Championship
                    It sounds somewhat similar. At least to me it does. I'm disputing that Walker won't be a solid pro. I think he will, but do we really want a shoot-first combo guard running the point?

Most people viewed Gordon as a point guard when he came out of UConn. I remember him killing the competition at the combines/workouts. He was scheduled to go top 10 prior to the workouts, but because of the fantastic workouts, he went to #3.

Comment

I was talking Ben Gordon. Marcus Williams was a pure PG and was from California.

This is what I gathered from Gordon's career at UConn (from Wikipedia, not exactly the best site to quote, but I'm kinda lazy right now to dig up info and I'm hacking myself to death at this computer):

It sounds somewhat similar. At least to me it does. I'm disputing that Walker won't be a solid pro. I think he will, but do we really want a shoot-first combo guard running the point?

Most people viewed Gordon as a point guard when he came out of UConn. I remember him killing the competition at the combines/workouts. He was scheduled to go top 10 prior to the workouts, but because of the fantastic workouts, he went to #3.
                      Ben Gordon is from England isn't he? But ya, I guess he grew up in New York.

But anyway, Ben Gordon was MUCH more of a shooter than Kemba is. I don't remember Gordon EVER being considered an NBA PG. Kemba is much more diverse and capable ball handler, attacker, penetrator, passer, defender etc. In my opinion. And I watched Gordon quite a bit.

I don't view Kemba as a "shoot-first combo guard".. but I guess that is where we disagree.

He is a leader who is capable of taking over a game when he needs too, if that needs to be seen as 'shoot-first' then I guess I'm saying we do. But he is more than comfortable defering to teammates and getting others involved ala Bucknell (18 points 12 assists 8 rebounds.) He is a HIGH motor player, that very few players have. For your on court leader to exhibit confidence and swagger and capability to back that up is a BIG plus for any team. Not to mention the kid is a menace on defense.

Deron Williams shoots ENOUGH shots. Is he a 'shoot-first' PG?
                      Or does he just do what he has too to win the game?

ADD: And thats all you can respond to of my post? Not to be pushy or anything, I was just looking forward to more I guess. Haha
                      Last edited by Joey; Tue Mar 22, 2011, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• Notes on Perry Jones from DX:
                        The weakest part of Jones' game clearly lies on the defensive end. He's shockingly unproductive from a statistical standpoint, averaging an alarmingly low number of blocks and steals every game, and very few rebounds.

Of the 90 NCAA prospects currently classified as power forwards in our database, Jones ranks 78th in defensive rebounding on a per-minute basis, which is extremely disappointing considering his physical tools and the fact that none of his teammates are particularly prolific in this category. He shows fairly poor awareness here, often failing to box out opponents and doesn't look very instinctive or energetic in the way he pursues loose balls.

These attributes definitely translate to the rest of his defensive game, where Jones clearly lacks toughness and activity. He regularly gets lost off the ball, being a step slow to react to things happening on the floor and not putting enough work in early in possessions to stop opponents from getting the ball in a favorable position. Physical players move him around the paint fairly easily and Jones doesn't always respond the way you'd hope. He often allows himself to get outhustled and outworked.

Beyond his poor fundamentals, Jones doesn't seem to be the most contact-loving player in the world. He tends to shy away from putting a body on opponents and isn't one to dive on the floor for loose balls. With his size, length, quickness and ability to get in a low stance, Jones has all the tools to be an excellent defender and rebounder down the road.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...#ixzz1HIxgjLcN
                        http://www.draftexpress.com

Yikes. He actually sounds more frustrating than Bargs (ie. even more athletic, but even worse defensively).

Also rumors floating that Harrison Barnes might stay at UNC:
                        http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/featu...ate%3d20110321

If Barnes does not declare for the draft, that would seriously suck for the Raps.

Comment

• I just want to add that Gordon was pretty darn good with Chicago, which is why Detroit splashed so much money. Obviously he hasn't been very decent in Detroit, but he was not great, but good in Chicago.

Comment

• Kemba Walker kicks ass. Most exciting player to watch in the tournament, I think. The thing about Walker no one has mentioned much is his defence. He's great on D. Lots of steals. And while he's short, he's also strong. Definitely a leader, a competitor and a clutch performer. All the qualities I mentioned in this post are desperately in need on the Raps.

Comment

• jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                              Kemba Walker kicks ass. Most exciting player to watch in the tournament, I think. The thing about Walker no one has mentioned much is his defence. He's great on D. Lots of steals. And while he's short, he's also strong. Definitely a leader, a competitor and a clutch performer. All the qualities I mentioned in this post are desperately in need on the Raps.
                              Amen brother. I had mentioned it a bit, and its absolutely true. Dude is a menace. He's all over the place on D, but still within the system. Fun to watch.

Comment

• Yeah, you throw him on the floor with Ed, DeMar and JJ and suddenly Bargnani's big man inadequacies aren't as important... He would be a nice piece to add to the core and right now with what seems to a draft that will lose out Harrison Barnes and will see the Raptors probably selecting 5th or 6th, Kemba Walker definitely comes into range.

Comment

Working...
                                X