2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
    Kemba Walker kicks ass. Most exciting player to watch in the tournament, I think. The thing about Walker no one has mentioned much is his defence. He's great on D. Lots of steals. And while he's short, he's also strong. Definitely a leader, a competitor and a clutch performer. All the qualities I mentioned in this post are desperately in need on the Raps.
    Kemba is starting to grow on me. His assist to turnover, for college ball, is really good. Plus as mentioned, he is a lock down defender. In my opinion for PG's in the draft he is number 2 behind Irving. If he was drafted, I think Bayless or Calderon would have to be moved. I do not see Bayless being happy backing up a rookie.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
      Yeah, you throw him on the floor with Ed, DeMar and JJ and suddenly Bargnani's big man inadequacies aren't as important... He would be a nice piece to add to the core and right now with what seems to a draft that will lose out Harrison Barnes and will see the Raptors probably selecting 5th or 6th, Kemba Walker definitely comes into range.
      Has Barnes said he is out for sure?

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        Ben Gordon is from England isn't he? But ya, I guess he grew up in New York.

But anyway, Ben Gordon was MUCH more of a shooter than Kemba is. I don't remember Gordon EVER being considered an NBA PG. Kemba is much more diverse and capable ball handler, attacker, penetrator, passer, defender etc. In my opinion. And I watched Gordon quite a bit.

I don't view Kemba as a "shoot-first combo guard".. but I guess that is where we disagree.

He is a leader who is capable of taking over a game when he needs too, if that needs to be seen as 'shoot-first' then I guess I'm saying we do. But he is more than comfortable defering to teammates and getting others involved ala Bucknell (18 points 12 assists 8 rebounds.) He is a HIGH motor player, that very few players have. For your on court leader to exhibit confidence and swagger and capability to back that up is a BIG plus for any team. Not to mention the kid is a menace on defense.

Deron Williams shoots ENOUGH shots. Is he a 'shoot-first' PG?
        Or does he just do what he has too to win the game?

ADD: And thats all you can respond to of my post? Not to be pushy or anything, I was just looking forward to more I guess. Haha
        BG was born in England, raised in New York (Mt. Vernon).

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        Ben Gordon was MUCH more of a shooter than Kemba is
        You don't look at Walker as a shoot first/combo guard? The kid's taken 330 more shots than anyone else on the team. This season, he's taken over 100 more shots than Gordon did his final season. Both weren't considered passers, but both were the starting PG's on their respective UConn teams.

Player GP MIN PPG RPG APG SPG BPG TPG FG% FT% 3P%
        Ben Gordon 39 34.5 18.5 4.7 4.5 1.4 0.2 2.8 .434 .829 .433 (03-04)
        Kemba Walker 37 37.5 23.6 5.4 4.5 1.9 0.2 2.2 .431 .818 .340 (10-11)

Player MIN FGM FGA FTM FTA 3PM 3PA PTS OFFR DEFR REB AST TO STL BLK
        Ben Gordon 1346 239 551 141 170 104 240 723 34 150 184 176 108 53 6
        Kemba Walker 1386 286 663 234 286 69 203 875 51 150 201 167 81 71 6

This is where we differ brother. You think Kemba is Allen Iverson like. I think the kid is Ben Gordon like. He'll come into the league by storm his first season, much like Gordon did. But over time, it'll tail off and he'll become a high volume shooter like Gordon. The kid isn't like Deron Williams or Chris Paul, when they were at Illinois and Wake Forest respectively. Hell, I wouldn't even say he's like TJ Ford when Ford came out of Texas. Those guys were actual floor generals. They score when needed to, but they have a high enough basketball IQ and court vision to make plays for other and to distribute the rock. I'm not saying Walker is a bad player or will be a bad pro, I just think he won't live up to the lofty expectations that some of you have for him.

Comment

• Ok, well by the sounds of it, most people here agree with me.

Clearly you don't really watch Kemba or UConn play. Ben Gordon WAS a shooting guard. With unlimited range. Kemba doesn't take nearly as many shots as Gordon did from the outside or Midrange. He slashes to the basket and gets the fouls, gets the basket or dishes to an open teammate. He IS a general. Top 4 player in the country. Not sure where you are getting that from. He takes those shots because he needs to. Because those shots help put his team in a better position to win.
          And you again forget to mention the fact that he is an epic on ball defender.
          Something people around here have harped our Backcourt on for yeears.

And to Matt, I don't think Barnes has said he's out for sure, he's only said he wants to win a title with UNC.. I think. So if they don't win it this year, then look for him to stay? Not sure really, but thats what I got out of it.
          Last edited by Joey; Tue Mar 22, 2011, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Has Barnes said he is out for sure?
            No, but this isn't a positive sign for Raptors fans this year if UNC doesn't win it:

So when elite players like North Carolina freshman Harrison Barnes decide to stay in school, it's frustrating to say the least. Sure, Tar Heels fans should be excited to hear ESPN.com writer Chad Ford's report that Barnes will likely stay at Chapel Hill, but what kind of hope does that offer Cleveland Cavaliers fans?

"He's the sort of guy who cares about more than just going to the NBA," a source told Ford. "He wants to leave his mark."
            Source: HoopsWorld.com

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
              You don't look at Walker as a shoot first/combo guard? The kid's taken 330 more shots than anyone else on the team. This season, he's taken over 100 more shots than Gordon did his final season. Both weren't considered passers, but both were the starting PG's on their respective UConn teams.
              Walker takes the shots he does because he is so far and away their best player. Just because he's the point guard, doesn't mean he needs to make other players on his team shoot more than he does if he's their best shooter and scorer. Find the open players and get them their shots, but if they're not making their shots, and you're the most likely to, then you should be taking the most, regardless of your position.

When UCONN won the game that put them in the finals of the regional tournament - this is coming from a commentator at the final - all the UCONN players stood and clapped for Walker when he made it back to the dressing room after the post-game interview. As if to say, "You're the reason we made it this far."

I'm not saying this to argue how good he is, I'm saying this to argue how important his scoring is to his team, and how much his teammates absolutely have no issue with his shooting so much more than they do.

Comment

• You can also argue that UCONN destroyed whoever they played last game (I forget who it was) because the team totally underestimated Walker's ability to pass. They collapsed on him and he had like 7 assists in 5 minutes or something stupid like that.

Comment

• I want Harrison Barnes, I really think he'd fit in perfectly. We have Calderon for a few more years, to get the youngsters the ball. And then we can hopefully get a good young PG.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    Ok, well by the sounds of it, most people here agree with me.

Clearly you don't really watch Kemba or UConn play. Ben Gordon WAS a shooting guard. With unlimited range. Kemba doesn't take nearly as many shots as Gordon did from the outside or Midrange. He slashes to the basket and gets the fouls, gets the basket or dishes to an open teammate. He IS a general. Top 4 player in the country. Not sure where you are getting that from. He takes those shots because he needs to. Because those shots help put his team in a better position to win.
                    And you again forget to mention the fact that he is an epic on ball defender.
                    Something people around here have harped our Backcourt on for yeears.

And to Matt, I don't think Barnes has said he's out for sure, he's only said he wants to win a title with UNC.. I think. So if they don't win it this year, then look for him to stay? Not sure really, but thats what I got out of it.
                    We can agree to disagree and that's perfectly alright, but don't give the BS argument how I don't watch Kemba, Joey. That's weak, and I would expect more out of you than to make a statement like that. If you got a crush for the guy, I totally understand it. I like Sullinger. That's my boy. You like Walker. That's cool, but come on, I laid the stats out there for you and you completely ignored it. The kid takes A LOT of shots. And not a whole lot of assists. ANd the A/T isn't what it should be for a good PG. Is Walker a good player? Sure, I don't dispute that in the least. Is he a leader for his team, sure. But is he a true floor general the way Williams, Paul or Ford was? No. I wouldn't even say he's as good as Ty Lawson. And the stats don't lie. Being an "epic" ball defender in college is one thing and a different thing in the pros. You know who were "epic" defenders in college? Jonny Flynn, Avery Bradley..and right now, both guys are finding it difficult to find PT. Again, we'll agree to disagree and leave it at that.
                    Last edited by MangoKid; Tue Mar 22, 2011, 11:02 AM.

Comment

BG was born in England, raised in New York (Mt. Vernon).

Player GP MIN PPG RPG APG SPG BPG TPG FG% FT% 3P%
                      Ben Gordon 39 34.5 18.5 4.7 4.5 1.4 0.2 2.8 .434 .829 .433 (03-04)
                      Kemba Walker 37 37.5 23.6 5.4 4.5 1.9 0.2 2.2 .431 .818 .340 (10-11)

Player MIN FGM FGA FTM FTA 3PM 3PA PTS OFFR DEFR REB AST TO STL BLK
                      Ben Gordon 1346 239 551 141 170 104 240 723 34 150 184 176 108 53 6
                      Kemba Walker 1386 286 663 234 286 69 203 875 51 150 201 167 81 71 6

This is where we differ brother. You think Kemba is Allen Iverson like. I think the kid is Ben Gordon like. He'll come into the league by storm his first season, much like Gordon did. But over time, it'll tail off and he'll become a high volume shooter like Gordon. The kid isn't like Deron Williams or Chris Paul, when they were at Illinois and Wake Forest respectively. Hell, I wouldn't even say he's like TJ Ford when Ford came out of Texas. Those guys were actual floor generals. They score when needed to, but they have a high enough basketball IQ and court vision to make plays for other and to distribute the rock. I'm not saying Walker is a bad player or will be a bad pro, I just think he won't live up to the lofty expectations that some of you have for him.
                      I don't think they're the same at all and stats aren't the tell tale sign of who he is. I can go out and drop down Jameer Nelson's St.Joe's stats line and Walker would compare with that as well. Nelson and Gordon are a lot different. Watching the guy play should be evidence enough that he and Ben Gordon aren't the same guy. Here's the main difference. Ben Gordon was known for his scoring and not much more... Walker brings it on defense as well. He also takes care of the basketball. Walker no doubt takes a lot of shots right now but that's because it's offering his team the best chance to win. He's their leader, he's carrying them where ever they're going. He's a smart player, with an excellent handle, great athleticism and so why would we box him into a corner because his team is forced to rely on him to do it all?

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                        I don't think they're the same at all and stats aren't the tell tale sign of who he is. I can go out and drop down Jameer Nelson's St.Joe's stats line and Walker would compare with that as well. Nelson and Gordon are a lot different. Watching the guy play should be evidence enough that he and Ben Gordon aren't the same guy. Here's the main difference. Ben Gordon was known for his scoring and not much more... Walker brings it on defense as well. He also takes care of the basketball. Walker no doubt takes a lot of shots right now but that's because it's offering his team the best chance to win. He's their leader, he's carrying them where ever they're going. He's a smart player, with an excellent handle, great athleticism and so why would we box him into a corner because his team is forced to rely on him to do it all?
                        Where did I ever state that Walker wouldn't be a solid player? I think I've said on a couple of occassions that he will be a solid pro. More combo guard than anything. Doesn't make him any less of a player. I don't think however that he'll reach a high tier of being an upper eschelon PG. That's just my opinion. Doesn't make me right, but sure doesn't make me wrong. The Gordon comparison was drawn because both wen to UConn, are quick and athletic, they're both small-ish in stature and were labelled as being PGs coming out of college. The kid does shoot a lot, and the assist totals are a bit on the low side.

Comment

ANd the A/T isn't what it should be for a good PG. Is Walker a good player? Sure, I don't dispute that in the least. Is he a leader for his team, sure. But is he a true floor general the way Williams, Paul or Ford was? No. I wouldn't even say he's as good as Ty Lawson. And the stats don't lie.
                          College assist to turnover ratio for last year in college:

John Wall: 1.625
                          Jonny Flynn: 1.97
                          Avery Bradley: 1.37
                          Derrick Rose: 1.88
                          Russell Westbrook: 1.72
                          Tyreke Evans: 1.08
                          Steph Curry: 1.5
                          Deron Williams: 2.46
                          Chris Paul: 2.23
                          Ty Lawson: 3.46

Walker (2.06) is ahead of good company and behind good company. No one on that list was as prolific of a scorer as Walker either with the exception of Curry who took 20 more shots in 3 less games and had another 1.5 TO per game.

Personally, I am starting to think Walker is worth the hype he has been given.

Comment

• Ok so you considered Stephen Curry THE Shoot-First guard coming out of college as well right?
                            I mean if Kemba is shoot-first, and he only averaged 10FGA a game, and Curry managed to put up 20 shots a game, and took like 150 more 3's than Kemba has in ONE year. By the sounds of it, Stephen Curry is going to be a Ben Gordon type, combo guard at best, not a top tier PG ...

ADD: I see Matt made the Curry comparison before I did. Nice one. haha

Comment

I'm disputing that Walker won't be a solid pro. I think he will...
                              To wit.

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                              I don't think however that he'll reach a high tier of being an upper eschelon PG....
                              I agree also that I'm not sure that he'll ever be that upper echelon PG. Could be, but it's hard to say at this point. I think that will all depend on his ability to defend those upper echelon PGs.

He's still a better option I think than either of the Raptor's current point guards.

Comment

Where did I ever state that Walker wouldn't be a solid player? I think I've said on a couple of occassions that he will be a solid pro. More combo guard than anything. Doesn't make him any less of a player. I don't think however that he'll reach a high tier of being an upper eschelon PG. That's just my opinion. Doesn't make me right, but sure doesn't make me wrong. The Gordon comparison was drawn because both wen to UConn, are quick and athletic, they're both small-ish in stature and were labelled as being PGs coming out of college. The kid does shoot a lot, and the assist totals are a bit on the low side.
                                Better yet, where did I say you stated that Walker wouldn't be a solid player? I can draw many similarities like you made above between Antoine Jamison and James Worthy but they weren't the same player in the pros. We both know there are dozens of things that go into who a player is besides what jersey they're wearing, their height and athleticism.

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                College assist to turnover ratio for last year in college:

John Wall: 1.625
                                Jonny Flynn: 1.97
                                Avery Bradley: 1.37
                                Derrick Rose: 1.88
                                Russell Westbrook: 1.72
                                Tyreke Evans: 1.08
                                Steph Curry: 1.5
                                Deron Williams: 2.46
                                Chris Paul: 2.23
                                Ty Lawson: 3.46

Walker (2.06) is ahead of good company and behind good company. No one on that list was as prolific of a scorer as Walker either with the exception of Curry who took 20 more shots in 3 less games and had another 1.5 TO per game.

Personally, I am starting to think Walker is worth the hype he has been given.
                                Excellent post. I'll take it a step further. When you consider how aggressive Walker is that A/T is even more impressive.

In a draft devoid of many players who have the potential to be special players, he has the potential to be a special player.

Comment

Working...
                                X