Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 83

Thread: NBA Expansion in Montreal: Five Reasons Why Canada Deserves a Second NBA Team

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default NBA Expansion in Montreal: Five Reasons Why Canada Deserves a Second NBA Team

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...ba-team#page/1
    Nice article from writer Justin Bonin of Bleacherreport

    What do you think about it?

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter Ryan_1523's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    MTL, Canada
    Posts
    272
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Seems smart to me.. I'd especially like to see this since I'm moving to Montreal next year for school! Hopefully it happens eventually, I'd like another Canadian team to go for along with the Raptors

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I saw the article on the front page, but when I clicked through to it, I saw it was a slideshow, which I hate, so I didn't read it. Besides, it's the Bleacher Report, so I find it surprising to hear that it was well thought out. What I don't understand is why Montreal would be ahead of Vancouver to get an NBA team. The only sports team Montreal seems to have been able to sustain is the Canadiens. Didn't they lose their CFL team?

    Vancouver HAD an NBA team that was unjustly taken away. I think they (we) deserve another one.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I saw the article on the front page, but when I clicked through to it, I saw it was a slideshow, which I hate, so I didn't read it. Besides, it's the Bleacher Report, so I find it surprising to hear that it was well thought out. What I don't understand is why Montreal would be ahead of Vancouver to get an NBA team. The only sports team Montreal seems to have been able to sustain is the Canadiens. Didn't they lose their CFL team?

    Vancouver HAD an NBA team that was unjustly taken away. I think they (we) deserve another one.
    Unjustly? They were losing 20 million a year.

    That being said I think Vancouver should be ahead of the Montreal.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    Unjustly? They were losing 20 million a year.

    That being said I think Vancouver should be ahead of the Montreal.
    There's a lot that happened in Vancouver that is not common knowledge. They were so badly managed, it wasn't funny. And that was before they were bought by an owner who had no intention of keeping the team in Vancouver. I have a close friend who worked for the Grizzlies and I heard plenty of stories. I can't tell you how many times he told me about stuff he saw first hand that had me shaking my head in despair. It was just sad.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    There's a lot that happened in Vancouver that is not common knowledge. They were so badly managed, it wasn't funny. And that was before they were bought by an owner who had no intention of keeping the team in Vancouver. I have a close friend who worked for the Grizzlies and I heard plenty of stories. I can't tell you how many times he told me about stuff he saw first hand that had me shaking my head in despair. It was just sad.
    Like what?

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh yeah its hard enough for Toronto to attract American players, but you can forget about it in Montreal that deals with a colder winter as well as the language barrier. I can picture some of the American's thoughts:

    Yo forget it! I ain't going to no Mont-reel and be speaking French!! and its colder then Toronto dawg!!

    Vancouver deserves a second chance. They should never have started 2 franchises in Canada at the same time.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    Like what?
    There is some stuff I swore I'd never repeat, that had to do with certain people climbing their way up the corporate ladder by sleeping with other certain people who were married. And this was certainly not isolated.

    AFter the new owners came in and Stu Jackson was shown the door, it took my buddy about a week to come to the conclusion that Heisley had no intention of keeping the team in Vancouver. And he's not a guy quick to judge. I've forgotten a lot of the details, but things like the fact that not one of the executives bought in Vancouver. Only leased. They got rid of a lot of the marketing staff and didn't replace them. They never reached out to the business community. And there was something to do with not contacting season ticket holders to renew. Things like that.

    The $20 million loss was intentional. It made it easier for Stern to agree to the move.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,939
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    There's a lot that happened in Vancouver that is not common knowledge. They were so badly managed, it wasn't funny. And that was before they were bought by an owner who had no intention of keeping the team in Vancouver. I have a close friend who worked for the Grizzlies and I heard plenty of stories. I can't tell you how many times he told me about stuff he saw first hand that had me shaking my head in despair. It was just sad.
    Vancouver's largest operational problem was the Stern handpicked GM Stu Jackson who wasted his high draft picks at about the most critical opening years of a franchise. He then gets the "policeman" job at the NBA suite in NY soon after. He must have photos of Stern.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Vancouver's largest operational problem was the Stern handpicked GM Stu Jackson who wasted his high draft picks at about the most critical opening years of a franchise. He then gets the "policeman" job at the NBA suite in NY soon after. He must have photos of Stern.
    Originally, yes, Jackson was a colossal mistake that killed the growth of the franchise immediately, but after he left, things actually got worse.

    I actually thought Jackson was a decent coach. I thought he did a good job in New York and Wisconsin, but didn't seem to know what to do running the organization. The one thing that pretty much sums up Jackson, was that he coached Michael Finley at Wisconsin, so knew him first hand, but failed to draft him. Exactly how poor a judge of talent are you if you coach a guy for several years, but don't realize he's someone you should have gone after in the draft? FInley was probably the second best player from that draft behind Garnett.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Didn't they lose their CFL team?
    The Montreal CFL team (Alouettes) just won their second consecutive championship.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JYFelony wrote: View Post
    The Montreal CFL team (Alouettes) just won their second consecutive championship.
    I obviously don't follow it. But didn't they not have a team for a while, or am I totally out to lunch on that?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    T dot Ohhhhh
    Posts
    777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I obviously don't follow it. But didn't they not have a team for a while, or am I totally out to lunch on that?
    They did lose the Alouettes for a really long time (81-96) and the fan base is vastly Anglo. Montreal, and Québec as a whole, has never shown capable of retaining interest in professional (read American) sports franchises. When the Als originally left there wasn't a whole lot of angst outside of a dedicated hardcore. But the thing with big time pro leagues is that you need the casual fan and corporate $$ more than a bunch of face painters. The Habs are religion in Montreal, way more than even the Leafs are to Toronto but as evidenced by the Expos (RIP), who weren't ever able to tap into the hearts of the francophone community, it's a tough sell. Plus you have the up and down nature of the separatist politics in Québec. Every time they get going just a little bit English money flees in droves. No one wants to do business with a group of civic leaders who want to break up the gravy train and start over on their terms.

    I went to the Montreal Preseason game, it was a great time. But no way is Montreal or the province of Québec getting or wanting an NBA team any time soon.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,311
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JYFelony wrote: View Post
    The Montreal CFL team (Alouettes) just won their second consecutive championship.
    ya, plus they just expanded their seating in the stadium because they were selling out every game.

    hahahah, ya that was a stupid comment there tim.

    Since 1999, the Alouettes have sold out every game at the stadium located on the campus of McGill University.At the time of the Alouettes' return to Molson, the stadium's capacity was 20,202; an expansion completed prior to the 2010 season brought the current capacity to 25,012.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Alouettes
    Last edited by LBF; Tue Mar 8th, 2011 at 05:01 PM.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    ya, plus they just expanded their seating in the stadium because they were selling out every game.

    hahahah, ya that was a stupid comment there tim.

    Since 1999, the Alouettes have sold out every game at the stadium located on the campus of McGill University.At the time of the Alouettes' return to Molson, the stadium's capacity was 20,202; an expansion completed prior to the 2010 season brought the current capacity to 25,012.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Alouettes
    I wouldn't say stupid. Ill informed, but not completely wrong since they DID lose the team for about a decade, apparently. Again, I know absolutely nothing about the CFL (or NHL, for that matter).
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  16. #16
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,433
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I saw the article on the front page, but when I clicked through to it, I saw it was a slideshow, which I hate, so I didn't read it. Besides, it's the Bleacher Report, so I find it surprising to hear that it was well thought out. What I don't understand is why Montreal would be ahead of Vancouver to get an NBA team. The only sports team Montreal seems to have been able to sustain is the Canadiens. Didn't they lose their CFL team?

    Vancouver HAD an NBA team that was unjustly taken away. I think they (we) deserve another one.
    Sorry Tim, going to have to disagree with you on this.
    First off the Montreal Alouettes are THE MOST successful team in the CFL if I am not mistaken.
    Expos were VERY popular. Management was a disaster.
    Montreal offers millions of fans, in a much smaller area. As the article points out, in terms of potential fanbase (population including surrounding areas), it would be fourth behind LA, NY, Toronto. Not bad.

    I'm not a fan of the BleacherReport, and rarely read it, but this is the first I've heard of this idea, and I don't think its a bad one.

    ADD: Sorry Tim, didn't see others had pointed out that CFL thing.

    ADD: And Apollo, I am from Montreal, living in Toronto, and I can tell you the Basketball fans in Montreal are numerous. 22,000 showed up for a preseason game!

    If you ever go to a Concordia game, or Laval Rouge et Or, man you'd be surprised.

    ADD I should say that I don't actually think this will, or should happen. I just think that Montreal COULD support a team. That is my only argument.
    Last edited by Joey; Tue Mar 8th, 2011 at 09:52 AM.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Rookie webcrawler89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    160
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    First off the Montreal Alouettes are THE MOST successful team in the CFL if I am not mistaken.
    Sorry, I don't wanna nitpick, but the Winnipeg Blue Bombers have the most Grey Cup appearances, while my Argos have the most Grey Cups .

    Personally, I think there should be a team in Vancouver before there is a team in Montreal, mostly because a) there was already a team there that was unjustly taken away, and b) the climate in Van city is very nice, I think a lot players would find it much more to their liking than TO or Montreal.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    ADD: And Apollo, I am from Montreal, living in Toronto, and I can tell you the Basketball fans in Montreal are numerous. 22,000 showed up for a preseason game!
    That is because it was one game, like a special occasion. But what's more important, is that many players won't want to go to Montreal. And I honestly think Seattle deserves to get a team before Montreal ever does.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I saw the article on the front page, but when I clicked through to it, I saw it was a slideshow, which I hate, so I didn't read it. Besides, it's the Bleacher Report, so I find it surprising to hear that it was well thought out. What I don't understand is why Montreal would be ahead of Vancouver to get an NBA team. The only sports team Montreal seems to have been able to sustain is the Canadiens. Didn't they lose their CFL team?

    Vancouver HAD an NBA team that was unjustly taken away. I think they (we) deserve another one.
    Hell ya!

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    358
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Out to lunch. The Alouettes have a pretty strong following in Montreal considering that it's a hockey crazed town. I think I'd rather have Vancouver get a real shot (if the stories in this thread are true) and Montreal is really hockey first forever.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •