Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: NBA Expansion in Montreal: Five Reasons Why Canada Deserves a Second NBA Team

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    The U.S. has more debt than the World's GDP. There's no way for them to pay it off and so some suggest it's a matter of when the dollar crashes, not if. It's not something we should he rooting for to say the least... Unfortunately, a U.S. dollar collapse would hammer Canada very hard in certain regions. Particularly Ontario. I think the fact that Corporate America is moving to China will be very decremental to Ontario. Think about all the lost revenue opportunity from exports.

I think Alberta, Saskatchewan and Newfoundland will be the provinces who get rocked the least because they produce oil and other natural resources in high quantity. When you see the U.S. dollar crash the price of oil will go through the roof... Not to mention gold, silver and other precious metals... And food.

Obama is trying to shift the blame to Bush, citing that he came into a tough situation but with all due respect, you don't dig your way out of a hole by digging downward twice as far...
    I said before Obama got into office that he was being put in a no-win situation. He was given the wheel of the Titanic after it had hit the iceberg, but before most of the passengers realized it was sinking. I don't think he's done a great job, but I really don't know what he could have done.

On the plus side, Vancouver is probably going to be in better shape than most of the rest of Canada and the US, so an NBA team here seems like a better and better idea.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

This is off track but it's needed:
    When President Obama took office two years ago, the national debt stood at $10.626 trillion. It now stands at $14.071 trillion — a staggering increase of $3.445 trillion in just 735 days (about $5 billion a day).

To put that into perspective, when President George W. Bush took office, our national debt was $5.768 trillion. By the time Bush left office, it had nearly doubled, to $10.626 trillion. So Bush's record on deficit spending was not good at all: During his presidency, the national debt rose by an average of $607 billion a year. How does that compare to Obama? During Obama's presidency to date, the national debt has risen by an average of $1.723 trillion a year — or by a jaw-dropping $1.116 trillion more, per year, than it rose even under Bush.
    Source: npr.org

- He lied about pulling the troops. America's biggest expense. I can barely count on one hand all the wars America is now involved in.
    - He bailed out the big banksters in America, who are now moving their HQ's to China as a thank you.
    - He bailed out banksters in other countries like here in Canada and the UK for example.
    - 35,000,000 Americans meanwhile are on food stamps. What's the population of Canada again?
    - He continues to let the Fed screw the American people out of their hard earned money. Imagine if a private corporation controlled the printing of Canadian currency and charged the Canadian government interest on their own currency? Imagine if the corporation had total immunity, could not be audited, answered to no one?
    I can go on for a while with on this one if you want to take this debate to PM.

That said, why would the NBA move a team back to a failed market when there are other markets with just as much potential, if not more? I'd love to see a team in Vancouver or Montreal but I don't see it on the horizon.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

dumb idea
    quebecois dont care about basketball

Raptors Republic Starter charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote dagon420 wrote: View Post
    dumb idea
    That is absolutely NOT. TRUE. It's very popular. The only thing is that we don't have a team, so how you can say we don't care? Go at a college game and you'll see that ther is alot of basketball fans. It's always sold out. The Raptors game was sold out. There is A lot of high school an college teams and the level of play is really good. What else do you need?

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    I really don't believe that the language is a big factor. A majority of the population of MTL speaks english! Look at Saku Koivu, he spent about 10 years for the Habs without speaking a word of french. If you wanna be serve in english, you'll be!
    Im guessing your from montreal right? man no one in the NBA would wanna play for montreal IMO. im basing this completely on the language and wheather. I know myself personally would have trouble there and im from Winnipeg. Its the same reason why no one wants to play for minni . its way to cold. players will settle on toronto wheather because its not that bad . but to also make the players play somewhere where everyone speaks french ??? try and find a ganster that will playout his career in montreal. OR try and find a euro who already has trouble speaking english but now has to learn english and french?? :S its gonna be hard . no offense to montreal but vancouver is much further ahead then montreal in getting an NBA team. bleacher report just says a bunch of garbage to make people read. When vancouver gets a teeam... and they will, toronto and vancouver can play some games in montreal.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Montreal is the last city on earth that an NBA franchise would survive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    This is off track but it's needed:
    Source: npr.org

- He lied about pulling the troops. America's biggest expense. I can barely count on one hand all the wars America is now involved in.
    - He bailed out the big banksters in America, who are now moving their HQ's to China as a thank you.
    - He bailed out banksters in other countries like here in Canada and the UK for example.
    - 35,000,000 Americans meanwhile are on food stamps. What's the population of Canada again?
    - He continues to let the Fed screw the American people out of their hard earned money. Imagine if a private corporation controlled the printing of Canadian currency and charged the Canadian government interest on their own currency? Imagine if the corporation had total immunity, could not be audited, answered to no one?
    I can go on for a while with on this one if you want to take this debate to PM.

That said, why would the NBA move a team back to a failed market when there are other markets with just as much potential, if not more? I'd love to see a team in Vancouver or Montreal but I don't see it on the horizon.
    In Obama's defense on the bank bailing, it was Bush that started the process. Obama didn't have much choice in the matter.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote dagon420 wrote: View Post
    dumb idea
    Officially the most ignorant comment I've read in this thread. You clearly don't know anything about the Quebecois.

ADD Charles basically covered it, but as I've said before, if you were at the QPBT (Quebec Provincial Basketball Tournament) you would see SOLD OUT arenas for High School and College kids, much like the US, that no one outside of Quebec has heard of. And yet NOW these kids are finally getting recruited to NCAA because the QBF actually takes the time to nurture and develop young stars, much like Spain or France has been doing for years. Canada as a whole, needs to take a lesson from Quebec Sport.
    Last edited by Joey; Tue Mar 8th, 2011 at 10:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

pesterm1, im not from mtl but im from the province of Quebec. You gotta understand that now everybody speaks english in Montreal. French people are now a minority in this city!

Post Thanks / Like

pesterm1, im not from mtl but im from the province of Quebec. You gotta understand that now everybody speaks english in Montreal. French people are now a minority in this city!
    Great point!! This is absolutely true. Montreal is by far an anglophonized city.
    And I am from Montreal. Living in Toronto, but I know that Quebec embraces SPORT.
    And basketball IS one of the finest sports ever created. Quebec and Montreal Sport Fans are well aware of this.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

That is absolutely NOT. TRUE. It's very popular. The only thing is that we don't have a team, so how you can say we don't care? Go at a college game and you'll see that ther is alot of basketball fans. It's always sold out. The Raptors game was sold out. There is A lot of high school an college teams and the level of play is really good. What else do you need?
    Better weather maybe, and no offence man but Montreal is a dull place. I've Been there and i found it pretty boring. Not a good place to start a NBA fanchise just yet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptors_ wrote: View Post
    Better weather maybe, and no offence man but Montreal is a dull place. I've Been there and i found it pretty boring. Not a good place to start a NBA fanchise just yet
    I mean no offense by this at all.. but how old are you Raptors_?
    Montreal is very literally one of the funnest, most enjoyable cities in all of North America. And MANY have acknowledged this.
    IF you're looking to find more Girls, Booze, Strippers, Chronic, Scenery, History etc. You want Montreal, and thats more than you will ANYWHERE else in Canada. And the US for that matter.

US Athletes LOVE Canada. Our Strippers actually take their clothes off.
    (If that is inappropriate I apologize, but it is a legitimate argument for athletes.)
    Last edited by Joey; Tue Mar 8th, 2011 at 11:03 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    I mean no offense by this at all.. but how old are you Raptors_?
    Montreal is very literally one of the funnest, most enjoyable cities in all of North America. And MANY have acknowledged this.
    IF you're looking to find more Girls, Booze, Strippers, Chronic, Scenery, History etc. You want Montreal, and thats more than you will ANYWHERE else in Canada. And the US for that matter.

US Athletes LOVE Canada. Our Strippers actually take their clothes off.
    (If that is inappropriate I apologize, but it is a legitimate argument for athletes.)
    Im 15 and i dunno u might be right. I found it pretty boring when i went there. Not old enough to go to strip clubs so thats probably why, lol. If you compare Toronto to Montreal i'd say Toronto is alot better in my opinion. I doubt there will ever be a NBA team in montreal, maybe in the next decade.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt there will ever be a NBA team in montreal
    Fully agree man.
    I'm more just trying to argue the fact that I DO believe that Montreal could support a team. Whether or not the players would support a team there is another issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I mean anyway... Why not just give it a try? They already have a huge arena. There is a whole lot of fans from all around the world. The city is far from being boring. And as for the temperature... NY, Boston, Philly, New Jersey, Toronto are not far from the same. Why would Cleveland or Minnessota have a team and not Montreal? If it doesn't work, ok, then the team go away. As for now, how can we know if it would work if we don't try it?

Post Thanks / Like

I mean anyway... Why not just give it a try?
    Because if you try and fail, that's tens, maybe hundreds of millions of dollars down the drain. If you're going to do it, you better be damn sure it's going to be a success.
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I mean anyway... Why not just give it a try? They already have a huge arena. There is a whole lot of fans from all around the world. The city is far from being boring. And as for the temperature... NY, Boston, Philly, New Jersey, Toronto are not far from the same. Why would Cleveland or Minnessota have a team and not Montreal? If it doesn't work, ok, then the team go away. As for now, how can we know if it would work if we don't try it?
    Mathematical calculation.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is not really ''mathematical'' but I guess that everyone who buy a professional team is is giving it a try...

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i thought the same thing when i was your age, bro... but trust me... the second you hit drinking age, and have a good amount of party cash in your pocket... GO TO MONTREAL FOR A WEEKEND.

in montreal, you should be waking up when the sun goes down, and going to sleep when............... well... don't sleep.

Raptors Republic Rookie YOUNGGUNZ101524's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    i thought the same thing when i was your age, bro... but trust me... the second you hit drinking age, and have a good amount of party cash in your pocket... GO TO MONTREAL FOR A WEEKEND.

in montreal, you should be waking up when the sun goes down, and going to sleep when............... well... don't sleep.
    I think you have Montreal confused with Thailand, although Montreal is a great party city. I recommend supersex (rippers) to those who have never been.

Thread Information