Greg Monroe vs Ed Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg Monroe vs Ed Davis

Ok, I was having a discussion with Garnett (who is in the RR chat usually) and keeping saying that Monroe is better then Ed because he was in the rookie game and that he's on "a better team" (when they are a worse rebounding team then the Raptors). He is also saying that extra playing time doesn't matter (even though Ed is outperforming him in [much] less min). Can someone please tell him he's a moron? He keep saying that I'm trolling.

Ed Davis 6.8 PT | .612 of 4.9 FG | .536 of 1.5 FT | -- 3P | 6.8/2.4 RB | 0.48 AS | 1.09 BL 0.52 ST | 0.54 TO | 2.76 PF | 22.6 MN | 46/4 GS

Greg Monroe 8.4 PT | .542 of 6.4 FG | .569 of 2.6 FT | -- 3P | 6.9/2.8 RB | 0.97 AS | 0.55 BL 1.02 ST | 0.95 TO | 2.39 PF | 26.2 MN | 62/30 GS

----------

Ed Davis 7.8 PT | .679 of 5.2 FG | .524 of 1.4 FT | -- 3P | 8.1/2.5 RB | 0.6 AS | 1.1 BL | 0.8 ST | 0.7 TO | 3.2 PF | 24.8 MN 15/2 GS

Greg Monroe 12.9 PT | .585 of 9.8 FG | .579 of 2.5 FT | -- 3P | 8.9/3.6 RB | 1.3 AS | 0.9 BL 1.0 ST | 0.9 TO | 2.5 PF | 33.5 MN 15/15 GS

----------

the Raptors stat ranks: #11 Off. Rebs. #23 Blocks #25 Rebounds #27 Def. Rebs.

the Pistons stat ranks: #12 Off. Rebs. #29 Blocks #30 Rebounds #29 Def. Rebs.
    Ez E
    93.75%
    Greg Monroe
    6.25%
    Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Tue Mar 8, 2011, 04:27 AM.

Ed Davis is a better defender, rebounder, and has more potential IMO. Monroe is a much better offensive player and passer (his assist numbers do not give a good indication of how well he passes). I prefer Ed myself but Monroe is going to be a very good player in this league.
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

They play the position in 2 different ways even though both are lefties, Davis being more of a grinder and Monroe being more polished. I see Monroe with the ability to play the 5 spot with a little more regularity than Davis.

Is one clearly better than the other? At this point I don't think so, I call it a draw.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

It is too soon to put one ahead of the other. Davis is a much better defender and rebounder so regardless of who is better, I'd rather Ed with the Raps.

This is one of those discussions that is hard to have with the transition to the NBA from college. Maybe in another season or two a more definitive answer can be given that does not reply so heavily on opinion and circumstance.

Comment

Monroe is a pure center whereas Ed is more of a 4. Both are going to be very good players.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I liked Davis better than Munroe going into the draft, and I still like Davis better. As others have said, Munroe will probably end up being a very good player, but he just doesn't play with the energy that Davis does. And Davis simply has a more positive impact on defense.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I detect another intangible in ED. He has a leader's demeanor. It is difficult to quantify of course this early in his career and I cant make a comparision to Monroe not having seen/followed Detroit closely.

Comment

Toronto Raptors forward Ed Davis has gotten a lot of love here in the Rookie of the Year award watch, but this was his best week in the NBA to date. The 6-10, 215 lb., forward is already one of the best transition big men in the NBA and he is developing into a premier rebounder.

After a slow start to his NBA career, Greg Monroe is beginning to look like one of the biggest steals of the 2010 NBA Draft. His outstanding feel for the game, high basketball I.Q. and diverse skill-set have helped the former Georgetown star overcome his lack of elite athleticism and the 6-11, 250 lb., big man has played a major role in the Pistons ascent back into the playoff race (Detroit is playing.400 basketball with Monroe in the starting lineup and .281 with him coming off the bench). He is averaging 15.4 points, 10.2 rebounds, 1.5 steals and 1.3 blocked shots while shooting .591 (55-93) from the field over his last eight games, posting five double-doubles.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=19001

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=19001
                Last edited by jbml; Tue Mar 8, 2011, 05:50 PM.

Comment

To early to make the call... but monroe is slightly better at this point. , In the future ( possibly near future) Ed could be the better player. Davis missed a large portion of the season due to injury, plays 7 less mins and averages stats just below monroe. Also, ed davis is 35 pounds.. yes 35 pounds heavier then ed. that makes a huge different.

We should pick up greg monroe ! lol ed and monroe would be a pretty good tandem. IMO

Comment

Maybe it's cause I'm in Detroit, but I think Monroe is better than Davis ATM. He has had better games (Scored 27 once), and been around longer (sorry health is a bitch).
                    What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Comment

Jordan-Drexler wrote: View Post
                      Maybe it's cause I'm in Detroit, but I think Monroe is better than Davis ATM. He has had better games (Scored 27 once), and been around longer (sorry health is a bitch).
                      People almost always like their team's players better, but, as I said, I liked Davis better even before he was a Raptor. Your comment about Monroe having better games because he scored 27 once shows a bit of a bias towards scoring. I haven't seen Monroe as much as Davis this year, but Davis doesn't need to score to have a big impact. What Davis excels at is defense, not scoring.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Eddy D, Screw GM(cool nickname eh? )

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                          People almost always like their team's players better, but, as I said, I liked Davis better even before he was a Raptor. Your comment about Monroe having better games because he scored 27 once shows a bit of a bias towards scoring. I haven't seen Monroe as much as Davis this year, but Davis doesn't need to score to have a big impact. What Davis excels at is defense, not scoring.
                          I agree with your comment about people almost always liking their team's player, which in this case is why I'm taking Ed Davis. I haven't seen much of Monroe since he was a G'Town, but I get to see (almost) enough of Davis, and I'm quite satisfied with the way he's progressing as a rook.

Had he had the opportunity to play in training camp/pre-season and the first two months of the regular season, I definitely think he'd be up there with DeMarcus Cousins in terms of rookies rankings. When it's all said and done with their careers, Eazy Ed should be in the top 3 or 4 of his class IMO.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                            Born a Raptor, Die a Raptor, TO for Life.

I just Live in detroit, and seeing both players, and much more Monroe up close and personal I think that he's the better player RIGHT NOW, but they both have high ceilings with davis's probably a bit higher than Gregs
                            What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Comment

Jordan-Drexler wrote: View Post
                              Born a Raptor, Die a Raptor, TO for Life.

I just Live in detroit, and seeing both players, and much more Monroe up close and personal I think that he's the better player RIGHT NOW, but they both have high ceilings with davis's probably a bit higher than Gregs
                              I'm not saying you're not a Raptor fan, but my point is that the player you get to watch the most is usually the one you favour. You've obviously seen much more of Monroe. I don't think there's a clear cut better player, but the fact is that Monroe is a much more polished offensive player than Davis, but that doesn't mean he's a better player. Davis seems to have much more of an impact on the defensive end, which is, I believe, more important for a big man.

I do think both players will be very good, and the fact that Toronto grabbed Davis 6 spots after Monroe, but they're pretty comparable and both are arguably top ten rookies, I'd say the Raptors did VERY well.
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X