Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alabi send down to D-League... again... again.

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Alabi send down to D-League... again... again.

Alabi has been sent down to the Dleague for the 3rd time according to Eric Smith.

Eric__Smith Eric Smith
    Alabi heading back down to the D-League for another stint with Erie
    4 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
    http://twitter.com/?status=I%2520bea...02158430404608

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

They should just void his NBA contract and make him stay there, like come on quit playing with the dudes emotions and tell him hes not good enough for the NBA already.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote e2thed wrote: View Post
    They should just void his NBA contract and make him stay there, like come on quit playing with the dudes emotions and tell him hes not good enough for the NBA already.
    ya its kinda stupid to keep him on the roster if he doesn't get to play. Just send him to the D league for good

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptors_ wrote: View Post
    ya its kinda stupid to keep him on the roster if he doesn't get to play. Just send him to the D league for good
    They've commented on it before. JT and BC like to bring him back periodically to make sure he doesn't forget the system and to keep an eye on him etc. And really NBADL usually only play a couple games a week.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

With the upcoming negotiations for a new CBA, I would love to see the NBA establish a complete farm system league, similar to the NHL-AHL and MLB-AAA. With such small team rosters and even less players actually seeing significant playing time, there are many talented players being shipped overseas. It would give more prospects legit opportunity to chase their dreams, by creating a league that is less about showing off individual skills and more about playing within systems that mirror their NBA parent teams. They could locate the teams in markets that are close to the NBA parent teams, which would only help grow the league's and the parent teams' popularity, as well as acting as a study to find out what other markets could potentialy suceed with an NBA franchise of their own - ie: I would put the Raptors' farm team in Montreal - it's a quick flight if they need a player up on the Raptors and would be great to guage the likliness of future expansion/relocation to Montreal (see other thread on RR main page to debate merits of Montreal). A farm system would make for more meaningful basketball than the D-league currently is and would therefore be more useful to the league, individual teams and the players, by developing more NBA-ready players.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    With the upcoming negotiations for a new CBA, I would love to see the NBA establish a complete farm system league, similar to the NHL-AHL and MLB-AAA. With such small team rosters and even less players actually seeing significant playing time, there are many talented players being shipped overseas. It would give more prospects legit opportunity to chase their dreams, by creating a league that is less about showing off individual skills and more about playing within systems that mirror their NBA parent teams. They could locate the teams in markets that are close to the NBA parent teams, which would only help grow the league's and the parent teams' popularity, as well as acting as a study to find out what other markets could potentialy suceed with an NBA franchise of their own - ie: I would put the Raptors' farm team in Montreal - it's a quick flight if they need a player up on the Raptors and would be great to guage the likliness of future expansion/relocation to Montreal (see other thread on RR main page to debate merits of Montreal). A farm system would make for more meaningful basketball than the D-league currently is and would therefore be more useful to the league, individual teams and the players, by developing more NBA-ready players.
    Is this a subject that has ever come up in NBA circles? It seems like a no brainer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote j bean wrote: View Post
    Is this a subject that has ever come up in NBA circles? It seems like a no brainer.
    I've only ever heard it mentioned by a handful of tv announcers and a few guys on ESPN, but nothing ever formal or official from the NBA head office. I'm with you that it seems like a no-brainer... but having a brain is not something that commissioner Stern has ever been accused of! lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    Alabi has been sent down to the Dleague for the 3rd time according to Eric Smith.

http://twitter.com/?status=I%2520bea...02158430404608
    They're only allowed to send him down three times so if he gets called up again he's with the big club the rest of the way.

I think what they've been doing is sending him there to get in game experience, then calling him up to assess his progress and offer additional instruction. At that point they send him down again for more playing time. They look to be trying to develop the guy. He's not ready for the NBA yet so it could be detrimental to his confidence to force it on him. He's a second rounder. He's a project. Projects take time, they're projects.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Baby steps my friend. That's the whole idea of the D-League (D stands for Development). A few NBA teams have their own D-League team that they don't share with any other team in which the coaches implement the same or similar systems as their parent team. I'm sure this is what they're aiming for for all NBA teams and the fact that we can send a player like Alabi down to get minutes is a HUGE step up from where the NBA was 10 years ago.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

Can you all welcome back Reggie Evans!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

This is another case of bad moves by BC that shows he has no direction and has no sense of what he wants and ... Before the Darft, he was talking about picking this kid by buying a late first round pick and was super high on him.

Then he goes and buys him from Dallas and makes it sound like it was a steal of a deal and ...

Now, he is playing the looser Acinja over this kid in a lost season !! What the Heck !!! They should just trade him to Nuggets and give the kid an opportunity to play and get some support.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
    This is another case of bad moves by BC that shows he has no direction and has no sense of what he wants and ... Before the Darft, he was talking about picking this kid by buying a late first round pick and was super high on him.

Then he goes and buys him from Dallas and makes it sound like it was a steal of a deal and ...

Now, he is playing the looser Acinja over this kid in a lost season !! What the Heck !!! They should just trade him to Nuggets and give the kid an opportunity to play and get some support.
    I don't think anyone thought he was going to make an immediate impact. Second round picks (and a late one at that) are typically projects. I'm not saying he's going to work out but it's too early to give up on him already. They brought in Ajinca so they can take a look at him. If it doesn't work out...meh.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

They should sit Anjica and play Alabi.
    We are in a tank mode anyway...

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Second that. Not cool!

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think next season Alabi will be our official back up center. He still has an incredible amount of potential as a defensive center, more than Ajinca because he has a naturally bigger frame. I actually really like Ajinca too and I wish we could try to develop both and pick whichever one turns out better, but I don't think it's in the cards.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    I think next season Alabi will be our official back up center. He still has an incredible amount of potential as a defensive center, more than Ajinca because he has a naturally bigger frame. I actually really like Ajinca too and I wish we could try to develop both and pick whichever one turns out better, but I don't think it's in the cards.
    I hope you're right but I think it's more realistic that he's a 3rd string big, which is still a step up from this year. Think of him getting Dorsey's minutes, he'd still get PT when injuries are bound to happen.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Employee wrote: View Post
    I hope you're right but I think it's more realistic that he's a 3rd string big, which is still a step up from this year. Think of him getting Dorsey's minutes, he'd still get PT when injuries are bound to happen.
    That's sort of what I had in mind when I said back up, but maybe more of a ten minute a game thing instead of Dorsey's regular "DNP-Coaches decision". I think we'll have a solid player in three or four years though, maybe even starter material.
    -Scudworth

Post Thanks / Like

If he ends up being a 3rd string big then he's over come the odds tied with being taken in the second round and sticking in the league.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    If he ends up being a 3rd string big then he's over come the odds tied with being taken in the second round and sticking in the league.
    I still think he has a great shot at being a backup in this league. Keep in mind most draft sites had him projected to go in the top 25 and he only fell because of the hep B thing. If BC is willing to give him the time to develop and he pushes it hard in the gym, I think he'll surprise a lot of people in the next couple season. Here's hoping anyway!
    -Scudworth

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if he ends up being a 3rd string big then he's overcome the odds tied with being taken outside the top 25 and sticking in the league.

And that's not me saying 3rd string is my prediction of his career.

Thread Information