2011-2012 Raptors third stringers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011-2012 Raptors third stringers

My continual knock on the Raptors this year has been the lack of legit NBA starting calibre talent. The team has a number of role players and bench players already on it. I don't think they need to look too far to round out roster spots 11 through 15.

What would your third string look like next year for the Raps?

Mine would be:

Bayless
    Weems
    Wright
    Evans
    Ajinca*

*I did not forget Alabi and he isn't my back up either
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Mar 12, 2011, 09:45 AM.

Calderon, DeRozan, Johnson, Johnson, Davis, Bargnani... You need to find better players for spots 7 - 10. Assuming a top 5 pick is one of them, who are the other 3 ???

(I guess it comes down to what position the player drafted in the 2011 first round plays, seems like a lot of small forwards amongst the top prospects... My guess is next year we have a PG rotation of Calderon / Bayless with one of Derrick Williams / Perry Jones / Harrison Barnes starting at 3)
    Last edited by madeupid25; Sat Mar 12, 2011, 08:18 AM.

Comment

madeupid25 wrote: View Post
      Calderon, DeRozan, Johnson, Johnson, Davis, Bargnani... You need to find better players for spots 7 - 10. Assuming a top 5 pick is one of them, who are the other 3 ???

(I guess it comes down to what position the player drafted in the 2011 first round plays, seems like a lot of small forwards amongst the top prospects... My guess is next year we have a PG rotation of Calderon / Bayless with one of Derrick Williams / Perry Jones / Harrison Barnes starting at 3)
      The thread is not for the starting line up or back up. It is for the deep bench - 11 through 15.

PG: *****/*****/Bayless
      SG: ****/*****/ Weems
      SF: *****/*****/Wright
      PF: *****/*****/Evans
      C:******/*****/ Ajinca
      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Mar 12, 2011, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Don't you think most teams plan for their top 10 rotation guys before they start worrying about 11 - 15 ?

Comment

madeupid25 wrote: View Post
          Don't you think most teams plan for their top 10 rotation guys before they start worrying about 11 - 15 ?
          Yes. So do most fans and posters here, myself included. There are numerous threads on that/those topic(s). You still need to fill out a roster and it is good when a team has a player(s) who can step in from the third string (11-15) when injuries and foul issues arise.

A major complaint from Raptor fans, myself included, is the lack of legit NBA starting calibre talent. Many of the good teams have this in the second unit. In my opinion, the Raptors have starters who are second unit players and second unit players who are third string on good teams.

Just something to think about before - hopefully - new and more talented players come in to take over starter and second unit positions.
          Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Mar 12, 2011, 09:43 AM.

Comment

I doubt Evans will be a Raptor next year, although I love his energy, I love Davis and Johnson more. Also, I doubt Wright will make the cut, otherwise we wouldn't have traded for James Johnson. But I'd love him to be re-signed. And Weems should not be re-signed unless it's less than $2 million a year.

Comment

BC needs to make something happen during the draft / offseason. I will also argue that this will be the critical juncture for this franchise moving forward given the new CBA. Now many predict that it will be similar to the last one but I still think there will be some changes especially with the installment of hard caps, etc. BC must also try to move pieces to get that extra draft in the top 20 IMO, use the TPE, etc. to make things happen. If Bayless really smartens up, he can be good. He's just so stubborn!!!
              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                I doubt Evans will be a Raptor next year, although I love his energy, I love Davis and Johnson more. Also, I doubt Wright will make the cut, otherwise we wouldn't have traded for James Johnson. But I'd love him to be re-signed. And Weems should not be re-signed unless it's less than $2 million a year.
                I still prefer Evans over Wright because of his veteran leadership. Let's face it, if Belli wasn't so "wonky" with his shot (especially in 3pt), BC wouldn't have made that trade with NOH. He's another one I personally don't get. He's smart, can pass, has hustle but his erratic nature turns him into a turnover machine! Reggie please and Wright may thrive in another club.
                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

The reality is that Wright & Evans maybe too expensive to keep as 3rd stringers. Wright is at 4 mill and Evans might command that as well. I wish we could keep Evans but Dorsey could fill that role for the mins. available. What is going to be really imporatant is the 1st and 2 nd picks in the draft and a couple of trades/free agent signings that will give us a decent team next year.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                    The reality is that Wright & Evans maybe too expensive to keep as 3rd stringers. Wright is at 4 mill and Evans might command that as well. I wish we could keep Evans but Dorsey could fill that role for the mins. available. What is going to be really imporatant is the 1st and 2 nd picks in the draft and a couple of trades/free agent signings that will give us a decent team next year.
                    I agree Evans may be too expensive. If TOR declines the qualifying offer, Wright is an unrestricted FA. I would be surprised if he could find a team willing to offer more than the minimum.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      The thread is not for the starting line up or back up. It is for the deep bench - 11 through 15.

PG: *****/*****/Bayless
                      SG: ****/*****/ Weems
                      SF: *****/*****/Wright
                      PF: *****/*****/Evans
                      C:******/*****/ Ajinca
                      I'm curious to know if Bayless, Weems, and Evans (after the season he's having minus injuries) would accept that role, but those are all above average third options. It seems more and more obvious that we're going to draft at SF because Irving will either be gone or won't enter the draft at all, so we'd be stuck with Bayless and Calderon. Also with the lock-out it doesn't seem any free agents will be moving around. Our best bet is to make a trade for the PG and C positions or else we're stuck with Ajinca and Bayless as second options. Either that or we're stuck with the Sundiata Gaines' and Patrick O'Bryant's of the league.

PG: Calderon/Bayless/10-day scrub
                      SG: DeRozan/Barbosa/Weems
                      SF: Jones(Perry/Terrance)/J.Johnson/Wright
                      PF: Davis/A.Johnson/Evans
                      C: Bargnani/Ajinca/10-day scrub
                      Last edited by Macc; Sun Mar 13, 2011, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Kyrie - Jose - BAYLESS (one of Jose and Bayless would be dealt, so the 3rd would be a vet like Anthony Carter or someone in a D-Mart/Sam Cassell role)

DeMar - Barbosa - SONNY

J. Johnson - Kleiza - WRIGHT

Ed - Amir - DORSEY

BARGS - FA - Alabi
                        The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Working...
                        X