Keep Calderon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep Calderon?

I'm honestly not understanding why the prospect of keeping Jose Calderon as our starting point guard isn't explored more often. He has at least 3-4 good years left. With him at the 1, we have:

Pass first PG
    Top 5 in assists
    Sharpshooting in the clutch
    An excellent character guy and vet in the locker room
    Some actual stability and a player who could retire as a raptor for life.

And yes i'm aware he has terrible D, but who on this team can honestly say plays decent defense every possession? I'm not saying we shouldn't go with Irving or whoever in the draft, but if the choice came up I would draft Jones or another scoring 3.

Thoughts?

I dunno about sharpshooting in the clutch, but he's def all those other things. Only issue is his awful, awful defense. If the other 4 or even 3 positions were sure defensively it would help mask his greatest defeciency but that's not the case.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
      I dunno about sharpshooting in the clutch, but he's def all those other things. Only issue is his awful, awful defense. If the other 4 or even 3 positions were sure defensively it would help mask his greatest defeciency but that's not the case.
      I dont think his defense is awful, i think he just cant keep up with the younger guards. When he can keep his man infront of him, he's ok, but quicker guards he cant keep up with.

If the raps decide to make him a backup, id be fine with that. Or, if they want him to remain as a starting guard, they should put a defensive minded combo guard beside him to cover his slowness.

Comment

If we cannot draft a top tier pg prospect I would keep him. He is a generally good influence on the team. Strengthening our help and interior defense would mitigate his lack of lateral quicks. The last few games though his shooting has been less than "clutch" in the latter stages of games. Is he getting tired?

Comment

Jose is a great Back Up PG at 6 million a year. He can play that role in a Championship team. However, BC over paid him by paying him almost 10 million over the next season and matching him against the starting PGs in this league and hence, exposing his defensive problems.

His defense lapses might be covered along side a great defensive SG and SF and under right system. It is however, too bad that we don't have a good defender in both positions and also a decent system in place.

Jose can not play any roles in a future Raptor but based on his contract, he will not be movable unless we pick up another dead weights like Diaw in return.

Comment

your mom wrote: View Post
            I'm honestly not understanding why the prospect of keeping Jose Calderon as our starting point guard isn't explored more often. He has at least 3-4 good years left. With him at the 1, we have:

Pass first PG
            Top 5 in assists
            Sharpshooting in the clutch
            An excellent character guy and vet in the locker room
            Some actual stability and a player who could retire as a raptor for life.

And yes i'm aware he has terrible D, but who on this team can honestly say plays decent defense every possession? I'm not saying we shouldn't go with Irving or whoever in the draft, but if the choice came up I would draft Jones or another scoring 3.

Thoughts?
            Keep him.

Great character for a young team, advocate of the team and the city. Nothing wrong in my mind with getting a pg in the draft if it's the best player on the board, but I like the idea of Perry Jones as well. We still need another ballhandler in any case, and some 3 point range would be welcome.

If evans isn't back I don't know what to say. I think that would call for a fan protest rally. How good was he today? If you want to teach hustle, just keep him on the team.

Comment

jamesk wrote: View Post
              If evans isn't back I don't know what to say. I think that would call for a fan protest rally. How good was he today? If you want to teach hustle, just keep him on the team.
              Fully agreed. The guys is full of energy and hustle and has an amzaing knack for rebounds. We need to bring him back and get him to back up Davis and AB.

Comment

If we don't, the team that gets him is going to be pretty, pretty happy.

Comment

I am for keeping Calderon, our biggest need right now is SF. Draft that, get a PG next year with a year of Caldy to mentor. Then re-sign him for less as the back up.

Comment

You guys are acting like we have a choice. We're stuck with him and the only positive is that he's so frail that he might get a career ending injury at any time, or maybe that he keeps us in the running for a nice lottery pick.
                    He is just awful.

Comment

loved how aggressive he was in 3rd...being his biggest fan i wished he was like that more often
                      "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

he won't be around next season tho...bayless is the pg of future...bc will use th lottery pick in trade to get rid of calderon
                        "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

I like JC, but it seems apparent that AB and JC on the floor at the same time is a defensive misadventure. To improve we need to improve defensively. So yes, we can go forward next year with both of them. But if we really want improvement, I cannot see how they both can be playing in 2 years.

But looking at next year it might be necessary. AB's contract is tradeable (no troll) but how is JC's? It would take a combination trade that includes at least a pick to unload. I'll go forward with patience for now. If something comes up then move him. Remember, he runs our Offense now. And we really do not have a replacement. So if one is not coming in a trade we need to be careful.
                          “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                            I am for keeping Calderon, our biggest need right now is SF. Draft that, get a PG next year with a year of Caldy to mentor. Then re-sign him for less as the back up.
                            Nice view. Beyond that I can't see a situation where Calderon would not sign for a reasonable contract when his is up to keep the team intact. He is seriously that type of player that would sacrafice time and again, and he's proven it numerous time. Same goes for Evans, he actually cares about the city and the team, which is hard to come by.

Comment

If the Raptors get Irving Calderon is done in Toronto in my opinion. If they don't get Irving then all bets are off. The Raptors tried to move him last off-season and in doing so they chose Jack over him. That fell through and in the end they ended up choosing Calderon over Jack. If Colangelo is here he won't enter next season with Bayless as the best PG on roster. No way, no how. He's not ready.

Comment

Working...
                              X