No announcement yet.

Keep Calderon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As our starting PG? No, hell no. He's been nothing short of a failure since that contract was signed.

Comment

Jose Calderon is as much a starting point guard as Jarrett Jack.

The Raptors have to make PG a priority this draft/summer and ensure that they get a floor general that can play defense, be a cornerstone for years to come, and has potential to become one of the top 5 PGs in the next three years. Easier said than done, but that should be goal #1.

Keep Calderon as a backup as a guy who'll be in the new PGs ear. All accounts suggest that Calderon is a great locker room presence, a true professional, and a great teammate, why would anyone not like to have him on this team. Now, if there's a package out there where we get to trade him for more defense or picks, that's an option too. At this point I think Calderon is an asset, not a liability, just as long as he's not starting next year.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post

The Raptors have to make PG a priority this draft/summer and ensure that they get a floor general that can play defense, be a cornerstone for years to come, and has potential to become one of the top 5 PGs in the next three years. Easier said than done, but that should be goal #1.
        The same can be said for the 3 and hell even the 5. The only true cornerstones we have are Davis and DD moving forward. What i'm saying is that if we can get a player that falls into our laps that can be a legitimate scoring threat, we don't need to focus every single effort on just that one position, because this team needs talent across the board. I really think that we have nothing but trash at SF, and landing Jones or someone similar should be our first priority.
        Last edited by your mom; Sun Mar 13, 2011, 11:46 PM.

Comment

WhatWhat wrote: View Post
          As our starting PG? No, hell no. He's been nothing short of a failure since that contract was signed.
          I don't think HE was as much a failure as the team itself was a failure since he signed that contract. If he had some actual talent to distribute to I don't think we would be hating his contract this badly.

Comment

your mom wrote: View Post
            I don't think HE was as much a failure as the team itself was a failure since he signed that contract. If he had some actual talent to distribute to I don't think we would be hating his contract this badly.
            If he had kept up the level of play the last two years as this year and the year he signed the extension it wouldn't have been so bad. Unfortunately reputations take a long time to build and only short time to be destroyed. He will always be seen as injury prone and overpaid as long as he is here, in my opinion..

Comment

your mom wrote: View Post
              I really think that we have nothing but trash at SF, and landing Jones or someone similar should be our first priority.
              Personally, I think that is a bit harsh. I like what James Johnson and Kleiza bring. The problem is neither are great, or even good, starters. They are great guys to have coming off the bench.

Comment

Keep Calderon as a backup as a guy who'll be in the new PGs ear. All accounts suggest that Calderon is a great locker room presence, a true professional, and a great teammate, why would anyone not like to have him on this team. Now, if there's a package out there where we get to trade him for more defense or picks, that's an option too. At this point I think Calderon is an asset, not a liability, just as long as he's not starting next year.
                Raymond Felton

Comment

We all know that if a team trades for Calderon, he's a goner. That's 9 mil off our books. He's a good mentor and a backup but not at that price. Matt52's trade proposal above is boner material but hinges on Utah giving up Millsap.
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                    We all know that if a team trades for Calderon, he's a goner. That's 9 mil off our books. He's a good mentor and a backup but not at that price. Matt52's trade proposal above is boner material but hinges on Utah giving up Millsap.
                    A little disturbed I caused you a boner, Balls. Don't forget the move saves UTA around $14M, gets them last year's #5, puts Favors at the PF, and gives 2 first round picks.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      A little disturbed I caused you a boner, Balls. Don't forget the move saves UTA around $14M, gets them last year's #5, puts Favors at the PF, and gives 2 first round picks.
                      I know. It's just that they're so high on Millsap. Also, my gut tells me that they won't be retaining AK47 so Wesley Johnson as their new three will be sexy!. Yes, Favors is young and cheap and perhaps spells the end of Millsap. This trade just makes so much effing SENSE!!!

God, Kevin O'Connor is a genius. I cannot believe that Utah can rebuild and compete at the same time. Yes, it's not the same without Deron and Sloan but man, they re-built without people even knowing it! Compare him to BC and it's just makes me wish the man can go away tomorrow!
                      Last edited by Balls of Steel; Mon Mar 14, 2011, 10:55 AM.
                      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Caldy has already shown us that he really isn't as good coming off the bench, and as a starter, he is inconsistent at best.
                        Might be smart to keep him though, maybe as a 3rd option, or as a 2 guard. Maybe he can bring back that 3 ball he used to shoot with such poise.

Based on his contract though, he will most likely be gone with the wind this summer.

Comment

I disagree with you this time and would say that SF is priority number one. There are a number of PG's in next year's draft (Myck Kabongo who loves T.O.). I agree with Calderon still being an asset, and that a strong trade for defense (this year or next) works too. Just don't agree on the priorities.

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
                            Caldy has already shown us that he really isn't as good coming off the bench, and as a starter, he is inconsistent at best.
                            Might be smart to keep him though, maybe as a 3rd option, or as a 2 guard. Maybe he can bring back that 3 ball he used to shoot with such poise.

Based on his contract though, he will most likely be gone with the wind this summer.
                            I'm totally puzzled by that post Multipaul because I would argue the exact opposite. If his career has shown any certainty its that he has played his best ball coming off the bench. His peak performances came while subbing for TJ Ford. Since then he's been at different altitudes down the hill... Calderon was one of the best reserve PGs in the league and I think once the time comes for him to go back to that role he will shine in it again.

For me personally, I think he's traded if they land Irving because at that point the primary need on the team is a starting SF and he may be able to help the team land that player. If the club lands a guy like Barnes then I could see Calderon playing out his contract in Toronto. After that all bets are off. I'm sure he would enjoy playing with Pau...

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              I'm totally puzzled by that post Multipaul because I would argue the exact opposite. If his career has shown any certainty its that he has played his best ball coming off the bench. His peak performances came while subbing for TJ Ford. Since then he's been at different altitudes down the hill... Calderon was one of the best reserve PGs in the league and I think once the time comes for him to go back to that role he will shine in it again.

For me personally, I think he's traded if they land Irving because at that point the primary need on the team is a starting SF and he may be able to help the team land that player. If the club lands a guy like Barnes then I could see Calderon playing out his contract in Toronto. After that all bets are off. I'm sure he would enjoy playing with Pau...
                              I agree, he was good off the bench, but only when TJ was here. They were an excellent ying-yang. TJ For fire, speed, and wild pace. Caldy for slow handed, cautious, controlled play. But I have noticed that playing with JJ, Caldy was not as good off the bench, nary a pale shadow of his former self.

Perhaps since he had a taste of the "good life" as a starter, it would be very difficult for him to play backup on this team.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                                I dunno about sharpshooting in the clutch, but he's def all those other things. Only issue is his awful, awful defense. If the other 4 or even 3 positions were sure defensively it would help mask his greatest defeciency but that's not the case.
                                jeez, never mind clutch is he ever a sharpshooter?

i know not.
                                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                                X