Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Keep Calderon?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you know what makes someone a starter in the NBA?

They start.

Calderon starts, therefore he is a starter.

Does he deserve to be a starter? Yes, absolutely. If you were to list the top 30 point gaurds in the NBA, he is on the list. No question. I prefer him over lots of guys. Are there any backups that are better than him? I doubt it. (Don't say Jarrent Jack).

Now, he's pretty average as a starter, but he's still a starter.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do people think that a good defensive 2 can hide Calderon's deficiencies at the defensive end? Wouldn't the 2 also be guarding a player on the perimeter?

One way or another they should see what Jose can fetch on the trade market, but if you can't score anything of value for him then keep him on the roster. He is at the top when it comes to back up pg's and is the only player on the team currently that can create scoring opportunities for other players.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Are there any stats that reflect Calderon's defensive effectiveness or lack there of from last season to this season? Visibly he seems to have improved this season...or atleast he looks like he's making more effort this season.

Raptors Republic Rookie goldenboy78's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    Jose Calderon is as much a starting point guard as Jarrett Jack.

The Raptors have to make PG a priority this draft/summer and ensure that they get a floor general that can play defense, be a cornerstone for years to come, and has potential to become one of the top 5 PGs in the next three years. Easier said than done, but that should be goal #1.

Keep Calderon as a backup as a guy who'll be in the new PGs ear. All accounts suggest that Calderon is a great locker room presence, a true professional, and a great teammate, why would anyone not like to have him on this team. Now, if there's a package out there where we get to trade him for more defense or picks, that's an option too. At this point I think Calderon is an asset, not a liability, just as long as he's not starting next year.
    I could'nt agree with your comment more, we need a #1 PG for the future I don't know if Bayless is the answer, Calderon would be a better backup point guard for this team. I know everyone is talking about Irving, I don't believe he'll be there unless we get the number 1 pick, which should go to Cleaveland who will pick Irving for sure with Davis as there backup mentor. Lets not forget about a kid named Kembo Walker out of Uconn, he is the number 2 rated PG in the draft and in the top 8 overall the Raptors should take a real like at this kid, only 18 and he plays with alot of heart on defence.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

What happens to Calderon largely depends on what happens in the draft, free agency, trades, and whether or not the NBA is successful in getting a hard cap.

The club has several pressing needs. One is SF, another is a PG for the future, and another is a defensive minded centre. Come draft, the only PG, I think Colangelo will use a top 5 pick on is Kyrie Irving, should he be available. If BC lands Irving, I think he tries to move Calderon for another piece like a SF or defensive C. Problem is, if a hard cap comes in, it's going to be hard to move him because of his contract. It would also be nice to keep him as a mentor to Irving but not at the money he's making now.

Should Irving not be there, BC will go after a SF. They're are several available. If that happens, I don't see him moving Calderon.

The one thing I noticed about Calderon is that after signing his big deal in the summer of 2008, his speed on the court declined dramatically. When he first came into the league, he was really quick. That's been lost the last few years. Perhaps it's injuries or just age catching up to him, put that seems to have set him back and weakened his game and subsequently made him lose confidence.

With his style of play, I think Calderon would fit in nicely with a team like the Lakers or Heat. His ability to calm down an offence and run a 1/2 court offence would be greatly beneficial to either one of these teams, both of whom lack point guards. His deficiencies on D could also be masked somewhat by stronger defenders behind him, especially on the Lakers with the size of Odom, Bynum, and Gasol.