Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Top GM's To replace BC if MLSE finally Cans Him

Raptors Republic Rookie Jordan-Drexler's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Top GM's To replace BC if MLSE finally Cans Him

I've been a big Fan of Colangelo for as long as he's been around. I've really wanted him to do well. But I've been a bigger fan of the Raptors for a lot longer than his term. Its become apparent that if Colangelo is let go than we need a top top tier GM who Knows how to build a team the RIGHT WAY. Rather than just saying that he need to be fired here's a List of potential GM's who after this year are realistically either Avaliable or Semi-Avaliable for the Head job in T.O

1) Joe Dumars - Current president of opperations of Detroit Pistons

I Have to Admit I'm biased here since I've been a Joe D fan since the Bad Boy days (And i wasn't even alive then ). But What Dumars offers is a wealth of experience both from a managerial and player position that hasn't been seen in toronto. He's won championships as a member of the Pistons and as an Exec for the team. He trades well (most of the time DAMN YOU AI) and has a decent sence for the draft (GOOD: Prince, Jerebko, Monroe, BAD: Darko). Most importantly his Detroit Experinece makes him a Defensive oriented person, both in his playing days and his 6 year run where the Pistons were the Best Defensive team in the league. One problem is that Joe D is very loyal to the city of Detroit and the Pistons Organization. It would be hard to convince him to leave especially since he has one year left on his contract. But with the status of the Pistons (Headach), the ownership Debacle happenning here in the motor city where the owner is in flux and the GM hand's are tied untill the team is sold, and the Uncertanty of the new CBA + the raptors favorable Cap and payroll for the future, I could See him comming here if we tried really Reaaaaaaly hard.

2) Danny Ferry - Current Vice President of Basketball Operations SPURS -

Danny as you know was the architect of the former Juggernaut Cavaliers. Danny works for the Spurs and would most likely win a championship there in his career. He's a former spur and won a title with them in 03, so loyalty to San antonio may be an issue. However he's the VP of the team and not the president, and being behind R. C. Buford (since 02) it's not likely that he takes over the head job any time soon. TO Can offer him the head job position and full reign, which is something the spurs can't. One thing I like is that he's a very tough GM and doesn't deal with Ownership BS. When Dan Gilbert fired Mike Brown in order to help Court LBJ back to Cleveland Ferry Quit on the spot because of an overintursive ownership. (Won't See that Here Danny). Ferry got cleveland out of the bottom and into the top of the league in 5 years. While having a Lebron James takes away from his credibility, I for one believe very strongly in Ferry if we had him moving forward.
    Plus He's a Dukie, Can't go wrong there (just won't see many UNC picks in the future. Sorry Ed)

3) Mark Warkentien - Former Denver Nuggets GM, now consultant for the NY Knicks-

THe man responsible for the Melo-Drama. He has lots of history and lots of experience building a team that actually contends. He would be the easiest to get because GM trumps consultant any Day regardless of the team.

Anyone else you think. Tell me if you think I'm wrong.
    What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my god, NO! I HATE the first two. I think Dumars is so vastly overrated. I don't think it's a coincidence that since John Hammonds left, Dumars can't do anything right. The trade for Iverson was a disaster, So was the hiring of Michael Curry AND John Kuester. I said at the time that the signings of Ben Gorden and Charlie Villanueva had disaster written all over them. And what exactly was the point of bringing in Tracy McGrady? So he could show the young players who not to taken advantage of otherworldly talent?

He let Amir go for nothing and overpaid Jason Maxiel, picked the soft Austin Daye over Jrue Holiday, Ty Lawson, Eric Maynor and Darren Collison despite having a PG who can't pass (ROdney Stuckey). I can't think of many things he's done RIGHT in the last two years.

As for Danny Ferry, he completely bungled the job in Cleveland, making LeBron's decision to leave a lot easier. He traded for a 33 year old PF who doesn't defend and with one of the worst contracts in the league. He brought it Shaq, who was predictably a disaster. He overpaid Jamario Moon to sign with the team AFTER winning 66 games, and the best offseason acquisition that year was an over the hill Anthony Parker. The talent that he surrounded LeBron with was so good that they might see the biggest dropoff over for a team ever.

Ferry was a complete failure in Cleveland and never deserves to have a chance to be a GM again.

Warkentien is not a bad choice, though.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I know this is offtopic but I hope to god we don't get rid of BC. It'll just make the rebuilding process that much longer, especially because the new GM would most likely want to change the system.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, couldn't agree more with ya Tim. Dumars has definitely lost his marbles over the past several seasons. The guy just reeks of bad moves over the last 2-3 years. In Danny Ferry's case, he was said to have consulted Lebron on most, if not all, of the trades and acquisitions that were made throughout his time in Cleveland. If you're a GM, who is supposed to know what a good move is and isn't, shouldn't you trust your instincts as opposed to those of a 18-24 year old?

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JYFelony wrote: View Post
    Wow, couldn't agree more with ya Tim. Dumars has definitely lost his marbles over the past several seasons. The guy just reeks of bad moves over the last 2-3 years. In Danny Ferry's case, he was said to have consulted Lebron on most, if not all, of the trades and acquisitions that were made throughout his time in Cleveland. If you're a GM, who is supposed to know what a good move is and isn't, shouldn't you trust your instincts as opposed to those of a 18-24 year old?
    He is the face of the franchise, if you don't consult with him and they have probs you're screwed.

BTW BC did the same thing with Bosh...

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What about Kevin Prichard, hell he knew what he was doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    He is the face of the franchise, if you don't consult with him and they have probs you're screwed.

BTW BC did the same thing with Bosh...
    There's consulting with your franchise player, and basically giving up decisions to him, despite your own opinions. In the end, the responsibility lies with Ferry. Either he made the bad decisions himself, which shows he's not a good GM, or LeBron made them, which shows he's a bad GM. Either way, he's not a good GM.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    What about Kevin Prichard, hell he knew what he was doing.
    I already went over this in another thread a while back, but Pritchard apparently has a lot of baggage that caused him to be fired. And it's why he still hasn't been hired by someone else.
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

I vote Ed Kupfer

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JYFelony wrote: View Post
    I agree with both of you but I want to put something out there some food for thought....is it possible dumars decisions as of late could be because of the money issues with the organization as a whole?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quirk wrote: View Post
    I vote Ed Kupfer
    If your going that way than why not John Hollinger. Just kidding I hate that douch Bag, and he hates us too

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post
    I agree with both of you but I want to put something out there some food for thought....is it possible dumars decisions as of late could be because of the money issues with the organization as a whole?
    Thats exactly why. Joe D cant make any trades or moves without having the ownership back him up. If ownership is more concerned with selling the team and price negotiations than the on court affairs what's he supposed to do. I hear this all the time on the local radio in Detroit about how Joe's Hands are tied because of the Sale of the pistons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jordan-Drexler wrote: View Post
    If your going that way than why not John Hollinger. Just kidding I hate that douch Bag, and he hates us too
    Ed is from Toronto. Ed is Legend. If he can't get the trade he wants from an opposing GM he'll cut him with the sword he keeps hidden in his walking stick. GMs wont mess.

Raptors Republic Starter Ambidextrious's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Here's one we forgot.

If we could somehow manage to snatch Sam Presti from OKC I would be highly interested in replacing BC with this man. The guy is a genius, and he sure knows how to rebuild/build a team.

Post Thanks / Like

Danny Ferry? Make me GM of the team that has LeBron James on it and I'll look good.

Joe Dumars would be ok. He has been mediocre in his rebuild though. Has to make you consider if he's a one hit wonder. The guy passed on Melo, Bosh and Wade to draft "Donny Darko"...

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have respect for Joe Dumars but question the revolving door of coaches. He built a tremendous team and anyone who can win without a superstar is good in my books. His struggles to get back to contention and the contracts given out of late are worrisome.

Danny Ferry would be an absolute "NO!" Look at the state Cleveland is in. He had an open cheque book and one of the best talents in the game.

Warkentien, in my opinion, is questionable. DEN has been luxury tax payers for years with success but not the type of success one would hope for spending that kind of money. AI with Melo was a failure and foreseeable although he turned in to Billups which was obviously a good move. From my recollection, and correct me if I am wrong, there was a divisive nature in the DEN front office. I'm not sure how much of that was Warkentien's fault versus the owner listening to the opinions of others over his GM. Either way, in this case teh devil you know is better than the one you don't.

I'd like to see BC stay. I've mentioned this in numerous posts. Minus 2009, the team has been competitive making hte playoffs twice and missing out last year after the team quit (5th at the ASG). This is the first proper rebuild and the foundation is certainly looking strong and sturdy, in my opinion. I hope he gets an opportunity to keep going as he has a history of rebuilding teams quickly (PHX and TOR) and this team should be competing for the playoffs after next year - again all my opinion on what I see here now and banking on good drafting.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Tue Mar 8th, 2011 at 09:17 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i mentioned this in another similarly-themed thread a few weeks ago, but if BC isn't extended (and i don't for a second think he won't be), i really feel their best course of action is to key on 1/2 a dozen (or so) high-level assistant GMs currently employed with what are generally considered 'model' franchises & try to pry one of them away (i mentioned guys like dennis lindsay, ryan mcdonough, keith grant, troy weaver, & - as a pipe-dream - kevin o'connor).

of course, i'm fully aware that this will NEVER happen - MLSE has had a taste of a 'big name' GM in BC (and burke, for that matter), and they like the cache that these names bring. they also think very little of the fanbase's ability to accept a 'no-name' GM.

as for the specific GMs mentioned in the original post - Joe D just has a poor track record over the last few years with picks, trades & FA signings...but his most egregious act was probably giving rip the most albatross-y contract in the L (IMO). few likely realize it, but it was rip's contract that initiated the AI deal (they did it for his expiring contract)...and that's what started the rapid descent into mediocrity. following that up by overpaying notorious me-first/no-D chuckers (CV & BG), drafting similar players (daye...though i think he has promise), and never replacing billups with a true PG just stink. now...the monroe pick seems gold, but that was also a fairly obvious pick to make at that spot (similar to BC picking ED).

as for ferry...i'm really not sure what he did as GM that would make him a candidate to run another team, unless one believes that he had a magical hand in the cavs winning the 1st overall pick & selecting an all-time great (followed up by years of putting mediocre talent around him). he's probably in a role best-suited to his abilities...high-level exec of a team with an established management structure in place, where he has input, but likely little-to-no control over personnel decisions.

warkentian - just hired by the knicks, and is likely in line (eventually) for the GM gig in NY (as long as dolan doesn't cave & give it to thomas) once walsh 'steps aside' (read: is pushed out by dolan/thomas). hmm, let's see - stay in the 'greatest' city in the world with the chance to run a storied franchise (someday) with two stars, or go to TO with the chance to do what, exactly?
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    i mentioned this in another similarly-themed thread a few weeks ago, but if BC isn't extended (and i don't for a second think he won't be), i really feel their best course of action is to key on 1/2 a dozen (or so) high-level assistant GMs currently employed with what are generally considered 'model' franchises & try to pry one of them away (i mentioned guys like dennis lindsay, ryan mcdonough, keith grant, troy weaver, & - as a pipe-dream - kevin o'connor).

of course, i'm fully aware that this will NEVER happen - MLSE has had a taste of a 'big name' GM in BC (and burke, for that matter), and they like the cache that these names bring. they also think very little of the fanbase's ability to accept a 'no-name' GM.

as for the specific GMs mentioned in the original post - Joe D just has a poor track record over the last few years with picks, trades & FA signings...but his most egregious act was probably giving rip the most albatross-y contract in the L (IMO). few likely realize it, but it was rip's contract that initiated the AI deal (they did it for his expiring contract)...and that's what started the rapid descent into mediocrity. following that up by overpaying notorious me-first/no-D chuckers (CV & BG), drafting similar players (daye...though i think he has promise), and never replacing billups with a true PG just stink. now...the monroe pick seems gold, but that was also a fairly obvious pick to make at that spot (similar to BC picking ED).

as for ferry...i'm really not sure what he did as GM that would make him a candidate to run another team, unless one believes that he had a magical hand in the cavs winning the 1st overall pick & selecting an all-time great (followed up by years of putting mediocre talent around him). he's probably in a role best-suited to his abilities...high-level exec of a team with an established management structure in place, where he has input, but likely little-to-no control over personnel decisions.

warkentian - just hired by the knicks, and is likely in line (eventually) for the GM gig in NY (as long as dolan doesn't cave & give it to thomas) once walsh 'steps aside' (read: is pushed out by dolan/thomas). hmm, let's see - stay in the 'greatest' city in the world with the chance to run a storied franchise (someday) with two stars, or go to TO with the chance to do what, exactly?
    Good post.

Honestly I think the Raptors are a team that needs a big name GM for all the obvious reasons - whether BC or whoever.

Ferry took over the Cavs in 2006. He had a 5 year contract and, reportedly, chose to walk away.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see them get rid of Colangelo because it's the only way the organization can get out from under the millstone called Bargnani. It's obvious he needs to be traded to a bench role with a contender like San Antonio, but Colangelo cannot trade him. It would be an admission of failure, and no gm can admit they failed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Brandon wrote: View Post
    I'd like to see them get rid of Colangelo because it's the only way the organization can get out from under the millstone called Bargnani. It's obvious he needs to be traded to a bench role with a contender like San Antonio, but Colangelo cannot trade him. It would be an admission of failure, and no gm can admit they failed.
    I think the trading of TJ Ford for O'Neal who was traded for Marion who was signed and traded for Turkoglu who was traded for Barbosa are all admissions of failure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information