Which Bigs to keep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. I see Amir as a bench player. Yes they can both start on this team now but the team is 18-48. I'm sure Oakley would start if he came back. Moving forward, Ed definitely has more upside in my opinion. However, a team is more than just a starting lineup. Amir coming off the bench is going to be great in the future. He is going to get his minutes and he is going to be better than most teams reserve big men. His contract, while questionable at first, has paid off. Look around the league at the salaries of big men. There are quite a few getting around the same or more who produce much less. Outside of bigs on rookie deals, I don't think there are many producing what Amir does. The old saying you can't teach height is alive and well in the NBA and has been for years. Personally, Amir seems like a good person/teammate and if Ed is legitimately better than him in time and the Raptors enjoy success in the standings, I don't see him causing a problem coming off the bench for 25 minutes per game or starting 25 minutes per game - either way he is going to play an important role and be well compensated for it.
    I Always love the hint of sarcasm, spices up the conversation.

I think we've already fixed on the mindset that this season is done and we're trying to figure out which bigs to keep next year. I think that was the question at hand.

IMO, a legit starter should be playing 30-35 mins a game. Heck with the youth legs that Davis, Demar, and Bargs have, they should be playing closer to 40. Lebron, Kobe are 40 min career avg players. If the team decides to play Bargs and Davis at least 35 mins per night, how many minutes will be left for Amir? I would say 13-15 mins. How productive will he be given 15mins? Oh i think he'll be worth the 15mins, but will his salary parallel to that? will he accept only such minutes? Dont get me wrong, id love to have both amir and ed but i think one definitely has to give.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
      The longer i go on this post, the more Evans value decreases.
      I know he's a monster rebounder but he's a one dimensional player. Even if he gets 50 rebs in the game, if he cant do putbacks i think he is still a liability. Id take Amir over him.
      Yep yep.

Multipaul wrote: View Post
      I'm all for that, if we start Ed and have Amir off the bench. sounds good.
      Absolutely agree.

meductic wrote: View Post
      The question always is not who but for what. Many of you vastly over rate what teams will give up for a player on the 5th worse team in the league. Secondly, if they ever did get rid of Bargs they better replace him with a combination of points and defense. They might actually get something for him. However the other 4 bigs getting minutes are somewhat offensively challenged. Outside of DD and Ed I would accept offers on any of them. But this team can't be leaving it to JuJu and Dorsey to score points next year.
      I would prefer to have the wings scoring, a mid-scoring floor general at PG, and a clog the paint punch you in the mouth front court that can defend, rebound and do putbacks. Ed and Amir can be this at the 4, and I would prefer a Biedrins or Perkins style at the 5 (not saying we are getting them.) Scoring will come from the pick/trade at the 3 and the PG slot as the rebuild...builds.

Comment

Ed Davis
        Amir Johnson
        Reggie Evans
        Jared Sullinger (if you don't draft a wing or PG)

You can't get anything for Johnson and you can get more from Bargnani. Time to build around Davis and Derozan and that pick. No offense to Andrea, but no one is untouchable on an 18-48 team and you need to give up something to get something.

Comment

START
          C - Bargnani
          PF - Davis

2ND UNIT
          PF - Johnson

PROJECT
          C - Alabi

GONE
          Ajinca - hasn't proven anything and a big defensive/rebound minded C would be more suitable to backup Bargnani
          Evans - will likely sign with a contender; not worth what we'd have to pay him to stay
          Dorsey - assuming he's gone, but for minimum contract could stick around as 3rd PF

** IF we can draft Irving, I like the idea of him starting with Bargnani/Davis/DeRozan, with the Calderon/Amir tandem on the 2nd unit! In this scenario, Bayless & the TPE become trade bait to land a solid starting SF and/or legit backup C.
          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Mar 14, 2011, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Why Bayless? He has a small contract, he's young and talented.
            The team absolutely refuses to give him a chance, and thinks that having him mimic Calderon's game is what makes a good PG. We have nothing to lose but games at this, and Triano's saying that he'll try to give him more minutes no matter how much the combo of White Swan and Calderon cripples the team defensively. It's more me wanting him to succeed. I think the Cavs would be interested in a Bargs + Bayless package for the Clippers' pick. /dreams of coming out with Barnes and Irving in the draft

Also, down the line, if we're good again, I don't see why Amir can't (very) effectively play both backup forward positions.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
              I Always love the hint of sarcasm, spices up the conversation.

I think we've already fixed on the mindset that this season is done and we're trying to figure out which bigs to keep next year. I think that was the question at hand.

IMO, a legit starter should be playing 30-35 mins a game. Heck with the youth legs that Davis, Demar, and Bargs have, they should be playing closer to 40. Lebron, Kobe are 40 min career avg players. If the team decides to play Bargs and Davis at least 35 mins per night, how many minutes will be left for Amir? I would say 13-15 mins. How productive will he be given 15mins? Oh i think he'll be worth the 15mins, but will his salary parallel to that? will he accept only such minutes? Dont get me wrong, id love to have both amir and ed but i think one definitely has to give.
              I meant no sarcasm, so hopefully no offense taken as none meant.

If Bargnani and ED play 35 mins each, that still leaves 26 mins per game. Then consider foul trouble and injury that are bound to happen. Amir, IMO, is a valued and needed piece moving forward.

Comment

Keep (in order): Ed, Amir, Reggie (in the , Ajinca, Dorsey and Alabi

If we end up drafting Sullinger then Ajinca goes. Alabi is a long-shot right now but at his price he is worth having around just to see if he gets it - also nice for salary matching. Ajinca is more expensive than Alabi but the trade throw-in approach holds true and with Bargs gone it may be best to give Ajinca some real run ans see what is there.

Reggie gets as much as $3-4 million. The reasoning is simple - his grit, try and spirit is an example the team needs to see AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. As well, in practice he is probably a total load to play against and Ed/Amir et al NEED to face that kind of determination if they are goingh to get better.

Bargs needs to go. I would even take an expiring and a draft pick at this point. Another year in the low lotto won't hurt and, with any luck, the pick will fill a hole. This year the pick can't help but fill a hole as C, SF and PG are all lacking.

Comment

Bargs not leaving town unless BC is.

Bargs needs to go. I would even take an expiring and a draft pick at this point. Another year in the low lotto won't hurt and, with any luck, the pick will fill a hole. This year the pick can't help but fill a hole as C, SF and PG are all lacking.[/QUOTE]

Face it kids, Bargnani's clueless defence is here to stay as long as Mario and BC are around. I do not mind so much. When he is hitting his shot, he is pretty hard to stop. Bargs needs to be a better shooter. He is never going to be a rounded center, but he needs to be better at what he is supposed to be good at. Get him a shooting coach and get him to practice more shooting.

We need a good big big to round out our frontcourt. No offence to Reggie, but he is no 7 footer who can intimidate on the shots or get other bigs to miss. I love watching him on the boards - he is great at anticipating where the rebound is going. That said, Sullinger looks solid, but he is a PF and would open Johnson or Davis for a trade. A serious center would give the rotation some great flexibility with Bargs being able to play PF some, and AJ being able to be matched up better. Right now, he is getting pounded by some big people. Dude deserved a little break.

I think we will see a wing player come in the draft. I would not be surprised to see BC trade down and go for Kwahni Leonard, though I think he will look more at a Harrison Barnes.

Comment

Bargnani, Davis and Amir are our best big men. And all three are very valuable, and I wouldn't trade any of them unless a good offer comes up.

Comment

Bargs and a beefed-up Ed Davis as the starters for the future ... with Amir as the first bench big, and ideally Reggie if he'd come for around half the mid-level.
                      Ajinca-Solo-Dorsey ... I'd take any of them as end of benchers.
                      The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

EaseMyPain wrote: View Post
                        Bargs needs to go. I would even take an expiring and a draft pick at this point.
                        Trading Bargs for an expiring and draft pick would get you fired ... you're speaking out of hurt.
                        The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                          As of right now we have 7 bigs on our Roster. They are: Soloman Alabi, Alexis Ajinca, Andrea Bargnani, Amir Johnson, Ed Davis, Joey Dorsey, and Reggie Evans. Who do you think is worth keeping? Forget about whether or not someone is expiring and just evaluate them based on what they are making now.
                          Well Alabi and Ajinca are cheap to retain. They don't require minutes right now. They're non-factor projects. Keep them.

Dorsey and Evans both bring skill sets concentrated in the same areas. It happen to be rebounding and defense. Evans is hands down the superior player but he's probably too old to be a long term option for the team. He will also probably draw a lot of interest in the off-season. Chances are he's done here. Dorsey is a player they could keep and bring him out on a rainy day when needed. He's going to come very cheap. Keep him.

Ed and Amir bring everything this team needs on defense and in the rebounding department. Their offenses look to be developing in different directions, both positive. One day they may be able to start together once Ed's body fills out. Keep them both.

Andrea Bargnani is best fit next to a lock down traditional center. If he were playing along side Dwight Howard he would be excellent. He plays for the Raptors though... I say trade him now while his value is high. They could land an excellent SF or PG for him.

So to recap:
                          Alabi in
                          Ajinca in
                          Dorsey in
                          Davis in
                          Johnson in
                          Evans out
                          Bargnani out

Comment

Ed, Amir, Evans, Ajincia and Alabi. Start Ed and Amir with Reggie coming off the bench. Ajincia maybe 7 minutes a game. Alabi in street clothes.

Trade Bargs. I was the biggest Bargs supporter for years but he's really showed his (lack of) worth this season. Hes not a game changer, he's not a franchise player and he cant defend a chair. I get he could be useful if we had 4 other great players who defended but we don't. If we could get a mid round pick for him id even do it.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                              As of right now we have 7 bigs on our Roster. They are: Soloman Alabi, Alexis Ajinca, Andrea Bargnani, Amir Johnson, Ed Davis, Joey Dorsey, and Reggie Evans. Who do you think is worth keeping? Forget about whether or not someone is expiring and just evaluate them based on what they are making now.
                              If you forget about how much they're making or how long their contracts are (ie if we have a choice or not), my list is:
                              Amir Johnson
                              Ed Davis
                              your pal,
                              ebrian

Comment

Oh, you said to take into account how much they're making. I missed that part. In that case, here's my list:
                                Amir Johnson
                                Ed Davis
                                your pal,
                                ebrian

Comment

Working...
                                X