View Poll Results: Grade Derozan's Season.

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

    1 1.49%
  • B

    18 26.87%
  • C

    40 59.70%
  • D

    8 11.94%
  • F

    0 0%
Page 117 of 254 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 115 116 117 118 119 127 167 217 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 5068

Thread: Everything Demar Derozan

  1. #2321
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,558
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    True he really doesn't he needs to give it on both ends. Playing D is what gets players hurt Remember Ware out of Louisville??? (too soon?) the fact DeRozan only help defends is probably a good reason behind his longevity.
    ...............
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  2. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
  3. #2322
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I guess it was too soon.............................................. ...................................... Im an ass sometimes.

  4. #2323
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,558
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    I guess it was too soon.............................................. ...................................... Im an ass sometimes.
    What I mean was that playing D had nothing to do with the injury. Just happened to land awkwardly.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  5. #2324
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    What I mean was that playing D had nothing to do with the injury. Just happened to land awkwardly.
    That's what makes it funnier, he has now idea what he's saying lol

  6. #2325
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    243
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He's so durable because he never plays good hard man D? Seems legit.

  7. #2326
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Grade Derozan's Season

    Grade Demar Derozan's 2012-2013 NBA campaign.

  8. #2327
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    3,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Question. Do you guys think DeRozan has FINALLY turned the corner? i mean, it's tough to evaluate players on non playoff team this time of the year. But DeRozan looked amazing these last 2 weeks i'm not gonna lie. If he can carry his play these last 2 weeks to next year then i guess were looking at a future all-star player?? because that's what he looks like right now.

    This is why DeRozan is so frustrating to watch.
    That's means a lot. Seeing that your one of his bigger haters on this forum.

  9. #2328
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    DeMar gets an A- from me. Signed his contract and brought his new weapons to the forefront this season improved in every facet of his game. He really beathed beside Lowry, whereNBA was talking about Raps having the top 5 backcourt till Lowry got injured early in the season. Many of the games were on him that we won them picked his shots better exploited his mismatches got to the line and played pretty smart throughout the year imo, who could ever forget the triple OT against Utah where DeMar put the team on his back and the game against Orlando where he took over late and hit the game winner it was pretty gangsta. Since the acquisition of Gay he has been a lot more rellaxed and playing his game quietly and confidently during the last 30 games, DeMar could have it going early take on the bulk of the scoring and Gay delivers later or vice versa which is great, between these 2 players Gay and DeRozan will get their buckets no problem. Some people say he isnt worth his contract, but I think he is, hes a student of the game and he will grow into the money I think, his recent shots from 3 look really smooth and I look forward to see where that takes him into the next season. DeMar's impact on the team is not measured correctly hes been there all 82 tough kid (on multiple occasions now) so who knows how Raps would play if he wasnt around?

    some players are born talented but players like DeMar have to work and improve and hes doing just that Im glad hes a Raptor. You dont have to agree with me dont really care but to me this season he impressed me a lot A big A- for my boy DeMar DeRozan,

  10. #2329
    Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,341
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ya I'll give him an A-. He's one of the best rebounding 2 guards in the league, can drop 20 on any night and is finally learning to attack the rim. His passing has taken leaps and bounds this year and he's becoming a very complete player. Only thing that's stopping him from an A+ is his piss poor defense and his decision to constantly shoot 3's even though he doesn't make them.

  11. #2330
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd give him a B+.

    He improved his consistency quite a bit. The slight improvements in rebounding and passing definitely helped this, as he was able to be effective in more ways than just scoring some nights. His D made improvements this year, but he still can and I think needs to be better. I was happy with the all-around improvement.

    BUT, he still didn't improve his skill set enough. He has yet to really separate himself in any way, and still has weaknesses with handles and range. Also his D got better in general, but his focus still needs to be a bit better, and he still struggles chasing guys around screens, which is frustrating at SG. I think if from now on out, if his D improvements start to accelerate, it will have a huge impact on the team. His scoring skills, while he could stand to add a 3 pter, are not bad at all, it's his inability to have a consistent impact on both ends that is problem, partly because he's not elite in any way offensively.

    I think he needs to spend a couple of weeks in the summer doing what the coaches are recommending for JV: go find a place with a lot of guards, or rather quicker players, and work on guarding them. Go find where guys like Westbrook and Wall are working out, or even Lawson and Teague, and just go at them every day. It'll make him a better man-defender, and hopefully make him work on his speed which will also help chasing guys around.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Apr 20th, 2013 at 11:11 AM.

  12. #2331
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    calmdownpussiesburg
    Posts
    245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just went to check out what demar has been up to on twitter and it turns out he blocked me lmao.
    i tweeted him saying: who is demar derozan#clown
    hahahahahaha atleast he knows what he said was stupid

  13. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
  14. #2332
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well at the very least its nice to know he sees it. Hope he uses all this as drive, not many players tweet you Shaq does Kobe does (surprisingly) of the Raptors though you will prbably only get a nice tweet back or retweet from guys like Anderson, ed Davis (no longer a Rap Calderon no longer a Rap Amir and Quincy Acy.

    I know players dont have time for fans but ya I mean there are 1000s but its great PR nothing wrong imo of taking a little downtime to holla back at a couple fans that rep you imo.

  15. #2333
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    In the salary cap reality of the NBA, you can't really separate the two though. Every franchise has a limited amount of money to build a winning team, so getting positive 'bang for you buck' out of every dollar spent is critical. Yes, there are 2 parts to the value equation for every player: contract amount and player production. Whether the player is to blame for not 'earning' his contract or management (or supply & demand realities in the league at the time of the contract signing/extension) is to blame for offering 'too much' to the player, the net result is the same; insufficient 'bang for your buck'. That's the conclusion I've arrived at for DeRozan and I think both parties are partly to blame in his case, but the source of blame doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

    I wouldn't be nearly as hard on DeRozan if he was going to be making around the MLE (ie: $4-6M per season). I'd even suggest he be moved into the 2nd unit, so the redundancy with Gay could be minimized and he could ideally become more efficient scoring against the opposition's 2nd unit. However, his contract - within the confines of the salary cap structure - makes that an invalid option because it would represent a significant waste of money (no 2nd unit player should be making $9.5M).

    Moving forward, I think it's absolutely fair to evaluate DeRozan against 2 benchmarks (goes for all players, not just DeRozan):
    1. DeRozan compared to all starting SGs (really should be all starting SF/SG, since wing positions have become nearly interchangeable)
    2. DeRozan compared to all players making around $9.5M per season (to compare the 'bang for your buck')

    I have a hard time believing DeRozan would ever come out of those evaluations with a positive review, let alone being considered a favourable 'bang for your buck'. When you consider him as the team's 2nd wing option behind Gay (another below average 'bang for your buck' type player with a similar style of play), it would further diminish DeRozan and his contract. Is it DeRozan's fault? Is it BC's fault? Is it the league's fault? Does it matter?

    The bottom line for me is:
    1. The Raptors have way too much salary cap committed to inefficient volume scorers at the wing position.
    2. DeRozan isn't worth $9.5M per season.
    3. DeRozan is very likely a much better trade asset than any other wing on the team (given age, salary, talent and potential).
    Shooting guard is a rather weak position in the NBA currently and thus I am OK with DeRozan starting. I grade him as a C to C- as a starter, about average to slightly below average.

    His PER was on par with Reddick and better than Mayo and Klay Thompson for examples but all three players would be arguably better fit on the Raptors current roster because they can shoot the 3-ball and thus would create better spacing in the half court offense. But it's BryCo who traded for Rudy Gay and made DeMar's skills somewhat redundant so I am not holding that against DeRozan.

    I agree with you DeRozan is not worth $9.5M a year; I expected DeRozan to sign for less than Wilson Chandler did when he resigned with Denver. But BryCo was very generous, as always.

    I believe DeRozan is still an intriguing prospect and a few teams may be willing to take a chance on him. The problem is if next season DeRozan plays like he did this season, the "potential" becomes less intriguing and the "reality" more ... real. I suspect he will be mostly considered as just another contract unless he shows improvement next season. He does not have to show he is worth the full $9.5M in my opinion, he just needs to improve enough to show that he might be worth $9.5M or more by the end of his contract.

  16. #2334
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think most people would be more than happy with Demar if his shooting percentages were better. And, yes, he does need to improve his 3pt shot or knock off taking them. But the reality is that the Raps play an offensive game that encourages Demar (and others) to take low percentage shots. Shooting isn't his strength, yet he has been thrust into the role of being one of the top offensive threats on a team that lacks the creative offense to exploit his strengths. He looks great when the team is active and he can take advantage of driving opportunites and open lanes. He looks great against guys he can post up, or weak defenders he can take off the dribble. he looks good in transition. When the team is stagnant however (which was more often than not this year), he is left to take jump shots, and we want to bash him for not hitting them at an acceptable rate. That's his role on this team remember. Even Kobe has had many sub-par shooting games in his career, but nobody is gonna shit on Kobe because his role on the Lakers was to be THE scorer, the volume shooter, so bad shooting games are expected. But Demar is no Kobe, and that's the point because wasn't Demar's role on this Raptors team at the beginning of the year not similar to Kobe's role on the Lakers? Their roles and expectations were more similar than their talent and capability.

    Here's another point. Demar seems to have accepted, to a certain degree anyways, his role as being one of the top offensive guys on the team. He knows he has to TRY and live up to the extension he was given. He WANTS to live up to the extension he was given (I think). So, he forces it sometimes in order to "carry" the team, which is what he is expected to do. He often takes bad shots because there is no other better option, or perhaps he feels there will be no other better option because the rest of the team is standing around with their thumbs up their asses. So, he shoots, and often he misses, which is no surprise to me. Why does it surprise you? Because he signed a $9.5m contract extension? I guess that means he MUST have the skills to be a great shooter. Or maybe it means he can finally afford to plug into the matrix and just download the ability to shoot a high percentage shot in low percentage situations.

    I think all the arguing about his contract is rather foolish. At this point, few would agree that he is worth that money, and I am not arguing that he is. But suggesting or thinking he has to perform at that level because BC thinks he can (I would assume, given that BC gave him the extension), is just nonsense. Fact is, we got much more than we paid for out of DeRozan this season. If his 3pt shot still sucks next year, and his defense is still sketchy, but the Raps are playing good team ball and he is costing us games, then being hard on him is justified. But at this point, Demar deserves a break on these forums.

    I am not the biggest DeRozan fan. And I can argue as well as anyone that he isn't the best fit for this lineup, or that we should have him on the bench, or that we should trade him. But I am not gonna base my argument around a $9.5m/year contract he hasnt even gotten a paycheck out of yet. Seriously, one of our top scorers and hardest working players. We don't have anyone who can take it to the hole and get to the line like he can (perhaps Lowry should, and MAYBE Ross will someday, but the reality is they didn't). Furthermore, I would not base my argument around perceived similarities between him and Bargs. Bargs is a bum, DeRozan is not.

  17. Like Rapstor4Life liked this post
  18. #2335
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If your job is to score, but you can't really shoot well or have a handle good enough to get to the rime and you're not 7 foot, something is going terribly wrong.

  19. #2336
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    If your job is to score, but you can't really shoot well or have a handle good enough to get to the rime and you're not 7 foot, something is going terribly wrong.
    FRom basketball reference: He scored 18.1 ppg on 15 fga for 44.5% shooting from the field and 83% from the line. The only thing that really sucked was his 3pt %. And tied for 16th in the league for FTA, what was that, can't get to the rim? I don't understand what you guys want from him.

  20. Like Rapstor4Life liked this post
  21. #2337
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    FRom basketball reference: He scored 18.1 ppg on 15 fga for 44.5% shooting from the field and 83% from the line. The only thing that really sucked was his 3pt %. And tied for 16th in the league for FTA, what was that, can't get to the rim? I don't understand what you guys want from him.
    My response was because of your remark "shooting isn't his strength".

  22. #2338
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    My response was because of your remark "shooting isn't his strength".
    Ok, so what is your point exactly?

  23. #2339
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,286
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    FRom basketball reference: He scored 18.1 ppg on 15 fga for 44.5% shooting from the field and 83% from the line. The only thing that really sucked was his 3pt %. And tied for 16th in the league for FTA, what was that, can't get to the rim? I don't understand what you guys want from him.
    Those stats are dreadful... and it's the thing he does best! His 3pt shooting is even worse. Such inefficient scoring! As long as Gay and DeRozan are part of the same starting unit, this team can only ever hope to win on the odd nights when both their shots are dropping...

  24. #2340
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    Ok, so what is your point exactly?
    Well, you say that he is our scorer, but you also say that he can't take it to the hole and that shooting isn't his strength. You argue that he is basically a volume scorer and that's his role. If that's his role, there are plenty of players who can do that for far less money ... if you want that role at all (from a player who can't create).

    The difference with Bryant (besides the obvious difference in quality and defense) is that Bryant creates for himself and others, draws double teams and can (but doesn't always) pass out of them. Bryant also can help win games in other ways than scoring, something which DeRozan doesn't really show a lot.

Page 117 of 254 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 115 116 117 118 119 127 167 217 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 14 users browsing this thread. (5 members and 9 guests)

  1. charlesnba23,
  2. consmap,
  3. Garbo,
  4. lilspaz68,
  5. phiLLy

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •