View Poll Results: Grade Derozan's Season.

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

    1 1.49%
  • B

    18 26.87%
  • C

    40 59.70%
  • D

    8 11.94%
  • F

    0 0%
Page 211 of 269 FirstFirst ... 111 161 201 209 210 211 212 213 221 261 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,220 of 5363

Thread: Everything Demar Derozan

  1. #4201
    Raptors Republic All-Star e_wheazhy_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,188
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't understand why hardworking guys like pops mensah bonsu, Alvin Williams and JYD are so unanimously loved by the Toronto fans yet DeRozan, who is just as hardworking, if not more so, than those guys, can never do right by some people.

    I think it's these kinds of people that will never be happy. Demar went from blank canvas to all star and people are still complaining. Not everyone is LeBron.
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

  2. #4202
    Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    761
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    Just digging up some old McHAPPY posts (most of those are from 3-4 years ago lol). Interesting stuff, seems like your views on DeMar have changed a lot.



    Yikes... Ronnie Brewer?



    Well no need to be concerned because he is both a solid starting 2-guard (one of the best) and an all-star



    Nah he's an all-star man don't worry.



    Well I never.... If you liked his game back then how do you not like it now?



    Yeah a touch off with this one, Ed definitely didn't turn out better than DD. No worries though, a lot of Raps fans thought he would.



    More explosive Rip Hamilton, damn pretty accurate. Contributed to a championship and an all-star, nice. And wow his lack of 3pt shooting could actually be a plus, weird...



    Funny, DeMar basically is exactly that right now... So I guess you are (in your own words mcHAPPY) an "unrealistic fool.
    Whoa!

  3. #4203
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer MACK11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    10,374
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
    I don't understand why hardworking guys like pops mensah bonsu, Alvin Williams and JYD are so unanimously loved by the Toronto fans yet DeRozan, who is just as hardworking, if not more so, than those guys, can never do right by some people.

    I think it's these kinds of people that will never be happy. Demar went from blank canvas to all star and people are still complaining. Not everyone is LeBron.
    It has to do with expectations, a lot of people have much higher expectations for Demar then those players you have named
    Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.

  4. #4204
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,021
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
    I don't understand why hardworking guys like pops mensah bonsu, Alvin Williams and JYD are so unanimously loved by the Toronto fans yet DeRozan, who is just as hardworking, if not more so, than those guys, can never do right by some people.
    expectations
    For The Win

  5. #4205
    Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    761
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
    I don't understand why hardworking guys like pops mensah bonsu, Alvin Williams and JYD are so unanimously loved by the Toronto fans yet DeRozan, who is just as hardworking, if not more so, than those guys, can never do right by some people.

    I think it's these kinds of people that will never be happy. Demar went from blank canvas to all star and people are still complaining. Not everyone is LeBron.
    I don't get it either...

    Ironic that his biggest critic is McHappy... Really??

  6. #4206
    Raptors Republic All-Star e_wheazhy_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,188
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MACK11 wrote: View Post
    It has to do with expectations, a lot of people have much higher expectations for Demar then those players you have named
    So I guess the way to fix all Demar debates is temper your expectations, people!
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

  7. Like Fully liked this post
  8. #4207
    Raptors Republic All-Star 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    2,433
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Isn't being an all-star a high expectation for a player? Was that one of the lofty or maybe unreasonable expectations when he was a rook?

    Now that he is an all-star, have his expectations moved to all-star starter? MVP?

    He's 24 years old and coming off his best season, and we want so much more.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

  9. Like mcHAPPY, Fully liked this post
  10. #4208
    Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    761
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post
    Sure, but I think you're arguing in almost black-and-white terms when you say Nick Young has more talent than Demar. You make it sound like Young is all-talent/no-effort and Demar is all-effort/no-talent, when the reality is that there is a fluid spectrum. I tend to agree that Demar wasn't naturally blessed with high creativity and IQ, but you muddle your point (and sound pretty biased) when you use Nick Young as a counter.

    Nick Young as a 19-year-old at USC performed worse than Demar as a 19-year-old at USC. He was drafted lower. As a nearly 22-year-old draftee, DX had this to say about him:



    About a close to 20-year-old Derozan, DX said:



    Now, you can argue that that forecast was based mainly on Demar's athleticism, but then you must ask whether talent has anything to do with the ability to utilize athleticism in an effective way. There have been lots and lots of freak athletes who were ineffective; and effort/work wasn't the only reason why. Is the ability to effectively use athleticism not a talent? Is talent purely mental? I don't think you can separate the two with a neat dividing line.
    Really good post.... You can clearly see why some of these guys have been called haters for over a year. Nick Young?? Lmao

  11. #4209
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer MACK11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    10,374
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
    So I guess the way to fix all Demar debates is temper your expectations, people!
    I personally didn't have massive expectations for DD, When he initially got drafted I was expecting his prime numbers to be like 18 5 5 and he's exceeded that. The one thing that others and I are still waiting for from him is his defense to improve even more than it has.
    Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.

  12. Like Fully liked this post
  13. #4210
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,310
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote 007 wrote: View Post
    Isn't being an all-star a high expectation for a player? Was that one of the lofty or maybe unreasonable expectations when he was a rook?

    Now that he is an all-star, have his expectations moved to all-star starter? MVP?

    He's 24 years old and coming off his best season, and we want so much more.
    Well 33% of #9 picks make the all-star team at some point in their careers.



    So the logical move would be to trade DeRozan for another #9 pick and hope that one makes the all-star team too

  14. #4211
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,023
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
    I don't understand why hardworking guys like pops mensah bonsu, Alvin Williams and JYD are so unanimously loved by the Toronto fans yet DeRozan, who is just as hardworking, if not more so, than those guys, can never do right by some people.

    I think it's these kinds of people that will never be happy. Demar went from blank canvas to all star and people are still complaining. Not everyone is LeBron.
    You're confusing working hard in practice with going all out in gametime. JYD, Pops, Quincy Acy...those guys were animals on the floor. We have no idea what their practice habits were, and we didn't care; that isn't why they caught on.
    Last edited by JimiCliff; Thu Jun 5th, 2014 at 09:21 PM.

  15. #4212
    Raptors Republic All-Star 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    2,433
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    Well 33% of #9 picks make the all-star team at some point in their careers.



    So the logical move would be to trade DeRozan for another #9 pick and hope that one makes the all-star team too
    100% 24 year old all star, or 19-22 year old unproven rookie with 33% chance that he becomes an all star? Roll the dice baby!
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

  16. #4213
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post
    Sure, but I think you're arguing in almost black-and-white terms when you say Nick Young has more talent than Demar. You make it sound like Young is all-talent/no-effort and Demar is all-effort/no-talent, when the reality is that there is a fluid spectrum. I tend to agree that Demar wasn't naturally blessed with high creativity and IQ, but you muddle your point (and sound pretty biased) when you use Nick Young as a counter.

    Nick Young as a 19-year-old at USC performed worse than Demar as a 19-year-old at USC. He was drafted lower. As a nearly 22-year-old draftee, DX had this to say about him:



    About a close to 20-year-old Derozan, DX said:



    Now, you can argue that that forecast was based mainly on Demar's athleticism, but then you must ask whether talent has anything to do with the ability to utilize athleticism in an effective way. There have been lots and lots of freak athletes who were ineffective; and effort/work wasn't the only reason why. Is the ability to effectively use athleticism not a talent? Is talent purely mental? I don't think you can separate the two with a neat dividing line.
    Retraction on nick young.

    You've made some good points.

    Hilarious how this started about the spurs.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  17. #4214
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote 007 wrote: View Post
    Isn't being an all-star a high expectation for a player? Was that one of the lofty or maybe unreasonable expectations when he was a rook?

    Now that he is an all-star, have his expectations moved to all-star starter? MVP?

    He's 24 years old and coming off his best season, and we want so much more.
    Consistency, defense, and better decisions is what I want.

    Consistency: look through his game logs.
    Defense: watch the games and notice who he guards and his positioning....he did show flashes towards end of season but now were back to consistency again.
    Better decisions: work with the team, cut out the picking up dribble after dribbling to side and or corner in double, realize 21ft with hand in face and 16 seconds on shot clock is a bad shot.


    I would want those things from my all-star.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  18. Like CalgaryRapsFan, Garbo, Puffer liked this post
  19. #4215
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
    I don't understand why hardworking guys like pops mensah bonsu, Alvin Williams and JYD are so unanimously loved by the Toronto fans yet DeRozan, who is just as hardworking, if not more so, than those guys, can never do right by some people.

    I think it's these kinds of people that will never be happy. Demar went from blank canvas to all star and people are still complaining. Not everyone is LeBron.
    Expectations and role. Those guys weren't your first scoring option and playing 38 minutes per game.


    What I would suggest you do is look back through the posts/conversations with my quotes that imanshumpert has so kindly put together. To say they are misleading is a bit of an understatement - especially with the commentary attached. Nevermind they are from 2010 and 2011.


    I guess I'm "these kinds of people"? I'd like to know who is complaining? I'm certainly not. I've admitted numerous times that I was wrong on certain aspects of DeRozan. Year 3 and most of 4 were really, really bad. I guess considering 3 or 4 years ago most of the DD fanboys here were 13-16 years old, they might not recall. Maybe the disappointment I experienced in DD, especially in year 3, has really clouded my judgement and I've never recovered. I'm willing to admit that, however, defense, consistency, and good decisions are something I don't feel he brings on a nightly basis and are extremely important for TEAM success. Maybe he will continue to be the exception to the rule and get even better in year 6 with 12,750 minutes already under his belt. I sure hope so just like I've always hoped he'd improve.


    Opinions can change with new facts and information.... or at least I always thought. Apparently around here once you have an opinion, you're stuck with it. That is a shame but somewhat understandable. Luckily the same does not hold true for accounts. Idiots can join up, get banned, join up, get banned, and join again starting the exact same B.S. that got them previously banned time and time again. Now that really is a shame.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Jun 6th, 2014 at 08:06 AM.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  20. #4216
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    341
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote special1 wrote: View Post
    I don't get it either...

    Ironic that his biggest critic is McHappy... Really??
    Replying to you and e_wheazy: I think most fans love DeRozan. There's just a few people on this board who don't like how he plays.

    McHappy is far from Derozan's biggest critic at this point. OldSkoolCool and DanH (sometimes) can be much worse. McHappy usually makes reasonable points, though I think he underrates DeMar's defense slightly and the consistency is probably better than he thinks. I'd go so far to call him the second most consistent Raptor behind Lowry (and Salmons, I guess, but that's a different type of consistency). Shooters are always going to have off nights.

  21. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
  22. #4217
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Other Scott wrote: View Post
    Replying to you and e_wheazy: I think most fans love DeRozan. There's just a few people on this board who don't like how he plays.

    McHappy is far from Derozan's biggest critic at this point. OldSkoolCool and DanH (sometimes) can be much worse. McHappy usually makes reasonable points, though I think he underrates DeMar's defense slightly and the consistency is probably better than he thinks. I'd go so far to call him the second most consistent Raptor behind Lowry (and Salmons, I guess, but that's a different type of consistency). Shooters are always going to have off nights.
    That is it right there.

    Nice to know people actually read what is typed.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  23. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
  24. #4218
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    And this is the mentality that is on the boards:

    Quote imanshumpert wrote:
    You're not a bad poster and you're not dumb, but you are hard-headed. Very difficult for you to admit you're wrong in an argument and resort to insults when you see you're losing. Relax, cool your shit and I think everything will be alright
    This is the private message from xi...nos...mas....imanshumpert.

    I use to be flattered by the infatuation. Now it is just scary.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  25. #4219
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sooo we all agree that DeMar has exceeded expectations. We all agree that he has made the All-star team. We all agree that everybody in the NBA is talented. We all agree that DeMar is a very hard worker, and a good example to his team mates. We all agree that he is not the best defensive player on the Raptors. We all hope he gets better defensively, particularly with his help defense. We all have seen the slight improvement in assist rate and hope it gets even better.

    There seems to be disagreement around whether or not he is average defensively or below average. There seems to be disagreement over whether it is okay to take contested shots from 22 feet when there is still time on the clock.

    So I would say we are about 80% in agreement.

    Just move along folks, nothing to see here.

  26. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
  27. #4220
    Raptors Republic Rookie Garbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Have you ever been on a team where there is an obvious team captain who does a great job at being the captain, but there's also a guy who thinks he should be #1? He starts calling the captain out in front of everyone, putting words in his mouth and trying to turn teammates against him.. Bystanders looking on are thinking, "What's this guys problem? Why is he so determined to turn us against the captain?" It's awkward. Awkward for everyone.

    On a completely unrelated note, I wouldn't even bother to read these boards if McHAPPY's solid arguments weren't scattered throughout the discussions. It always makes for a good read and something to think about.

  28. Like Miekenstien, Puffer liked this post
Page 211 of 269 FirstFirst ... 111 161 201 209 210 211 212 213 221 261 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •