Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Didn't Masai hand pick Casey's staff after firing all of Casey's guys?
    I would expect the coaching staff has to continue to be a mix of Masai's picks vs. Casey's picks. Otherwise, Casey would have an excuse that Masai is setting him up for failure. This seems to be the message from Masai to Casey: "you are a defensive coach, and I got you the type of players you want and some high level defensive minds - no excuses."

I would bet that Greer is Masai's pick, especially since one of the few times Masai has said anything publicly critical about anybody was after the playoff debacle where he talked about Casey being a "defensive coach" and how the Raps needed to get back to being a high level defensive team.

Comment

• At the end of the day its Masai called. He obviously knows what kind of player Stackhouse was. He still choose to sign him. Obviously Masai doesn't hate the midrange game as much as everybody here.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Didn't Masai hand pick Casey's staff after firing all of Casey's guys?
        Honestly don't know but I would suspect that is not the case.

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        At the end of the day its Masai call. He obviously knows what kind of player Stackhouse was. He still choose to sign him. Obviously Masai doesn't hate the midrange game as much as everybody here.
        Time will tell. After this season, if Casey and Demar are here, then Masai has made that call. Until then, he seems to be biding his time with the hand that was dealt and making moves around them.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Its all speculation, but Masai's fingerprints are all over the Stack hire. He may have done it to please Casey but he still hired him. It had to go through him.

There were questions that the Raptors were interested in Scott Brooks.. so when it comes to coaching hires, I still don't trust Masai to make the right decision.

I'm waiting to see what happens in 2016 but I'm not feeling optimistic.

Comment

Fine tuning his game. Its pretty much like Warriors hiring Steve Nash to work with Steph. There is always room to get better.
            The way Demar gets better ... is by not playing like that. There's so much evidence supporting it being the wrong way to play that it can't be willfull ignorance to ignore it. It's gotta be active ignorance. You don't have this much evidence against it (including the fact that Demar's bread and butter is his offence yet the team's offense was better when he sat) and decide to double down on it.
            "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
            "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

At the end of the day its Masai called. He obviously knows what kind of player Stackhouse was. He still choose to sign him. Obviously Masai doesn't hate the midrange game as much as everybody here.
              Nothing wrong with Stackhouse's experience and toughness, but I don't think we can jump to the conclusion that he was brought for the main purpose of having DD mimic his PIS game. And again, nothing even wrong with mid-range shots either, if those shots are coming in rhythm through ball-movement / man-movement. Even Casey has been saying that the Raps are trying to get back to that style of play. That's the opposite of Stackhouse / DD.

So, I don't think you can conclude that hiring Stackhouse, means that Masai brought him here to teach DD his 90's ISO game and double-down on last year's style of play.
              Last edited by golden; Fri Oct 23, 2015, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                a.........Golden Shower.....
                LOL. I think we need to make the YELLOW FONT the gold standard in game threads, when a Raptor launches one of those PIS shots.

Last season would have been a sea of gold. End of every quarter, be like: WTF, was THAT, Lou?

Comment

I'm guessing they signed Stackhouse to coach DD. Since their games are so similar.
                  Creepy. DD's All-Star and Stack's first All-Star (he made two). Nearly identical

Player Age MP FG FGA FG% 3P% 2PA 2P% eFG% FTA FT% TRB AST STL PTS
                  DeMar DeRozan 24 38.2 7.6 17.8 .429 .305 15.2 .451 .452 8.0 .824 4.3 4.0 1.1 22.7
                  Jerry Stackhouse 25 38.4 7.5 17.6 .428 .288 14.1 .462 .456 9.2 .815 3.8 4.5 1.3 23.6
                  Last edited by Axel; Fri Oct 23, 2015, 10:20 AM.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
                    The way Demar gets better ... is by not playing like that. There's so much evidence supporting it being the wrong way to play that it can't be willfull ignorance to ignore it. It's gotta be active ignorance. You don't have this much evidence against it (including the fact that Demar's bread and butter is his offence yet the team's offense was better when he sat) and decide to double down on it.
                    All that evidence but, your GM goes and hires the 90's version of that player. Why would you change your game when your coach staff and front office support it?
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                      Its all speculation, but Masai's fingerprints are all over the Stack hire. He may have done it to please Casey but he still hired him. It had to go through him.

There were questions that the Raptors were interested in Scott Brooks.. so when it comes to coaching hires, I still don't trust Masai to make the right decision.

I'm waiting to see what happens in 2016 but I'm not feeling optimistic.

I thought Stackhouse was about having a guy on staff who could relate to players better? A former player, not too far removed?

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                        Creepy. DD's All-Star and Stack's first All-Star (he made two). Nearly identical

DeMar DeRozan 24 38.2 7.6 17.8 .429 .305 15.2 .451 .452 8.0 .824 4.3 4.0 1.1 22.7
                        Jerry Stackhouse 25 38.4 7.5 17.6 .428 .288 14.1 .462 .456 9.2 .815 3.8 4.5 1.3 23.6
                        Wow. That's about as close across-the-board as you'll ever see 2 player's basic stats comped.
                        Last edited by Axel; Fri Oct 23, 2015, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                          Nothing wrong with Stackhouse's experience and toughness, but I don't think we can jump to the conclusion that he was brought for the main purpose of having DD mimic his PIS game. And again, nothing even wrong with mid-range shots either, if those shots are coming in rhythm through ball-movement / man-movement. Even Casey has been saying that the Raps are trying to get back to that style of play. That's the opposite of Stackhouse / DD.

So, I don't think you can conclude that hiring Stackhouse, means that Masai brought him here to teach DD his 90's ISO game and double-down on last year's style of play.
                          Raptors are still going to run Iso. Their going to have better ball movement but, KLow/DD are still going to get their iso. Just wont be as much. I said this before this offense is going to be a mixture of the last two years.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                            I thought Stackhouse was about having a guy on staff who could relate to players better? A former player, not too far removed?
                            I think there are a lot of great reasons to hire Stackhouse, but specifically teaching DD to mimic his 90's ISO game (while simultaneously telling the rest of the team to encourage ball-movement & man-movement) is not one of them.

Exception being: if you're trying to inflate DD's trade value to a team that doesn't value advanced stats, like the Pelicans, Knicks or Lakers.

Comment

All that evidence but, your GM goes and hires the 90's version of that player. Why would you change your game when your coach staff and front office support it?
                              Because it's bad.

That's not a subjective bad either. By every available measurable metric (AND the eye test); it's bad.

Axel wrote: View Post

That's insane.
                              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                                I think there are a lot of great reasons to hire Stackhouse, but specifically teaching DD to mimic his 90's ISO game (while simultaneously telling the rest of the team to encourage ball-movement & man-movement) is not one of them.

Exception being: if you're trying to inflate DD's trade value to a team that doesn't value advanced stats, like the Pelicans, Knicks or Lakers.
                                I'm wondering if Stackhouse's hindsight is what they brought him in for. At least thats what I'm telling myself

"Demar, seriously our games were damn near identical. I wish I had done x, so that I was a better player"

Comment

Working...
                                X